Old March 20, 2003, 20:23   #31
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Celt bomber strikes Cremona, kills rifleman.
Mongols get fission from Celts.
Two new worries.

Combined Arms gives the Celts Paratroopers.
With them already possessing bombers,
this means we need a rushed Fighter in Cremona.

Can we afford this with a rushed SS?

Secondly,
I'll need to work on our SDI plan to protect all of our cities, using Nuke traps.

This will have to wait until after launch.
Old March 20, 2003, 22:08   #32
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Two new worries.

Combined Arms gives the Celts Paratroopers.
With them already possessing bombers,
this means we need a rushed Fighter in Cremona.

Can we afford this with a rushed SS?
looking at the save, I don't see a way to save Cremona This means that we would do better selling something in Cremona rather than rushing something. If we had a better reputation, I would suggest using the UN to contact the Celts and force peace, but with our Atrocious rep i don't think that will work. Also, the Celt frigate seems to have at least one unit, and we no longer have a defender. The fact that the railroad is not even close to complete means we can't use Turin or Capua units for support - even an engineer would take 2 turns to get there. Perhaps we can rehome the cremona engineer in turin to salvage the unit?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cremona2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	40202  
Old March 20, 2003, 22:52   #33
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

followup - if there are nothing but 1-movement units, we still have a chance to save Cremona (or if the ship for some reason other than a peace treaty sails away from the city)

On the Space Ship front, it would be possible to finish the ship this turn, but we'd need about 6000 gold from freight deliveries and sell something in just about every city, or possibly some unit disbanding, so targeting a 2-turn building plan
Old March 21, 2003, 17:13   #34
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

How did we lose both riflemen in Cremona?
Ixnay only records the one bomber attack.

Lets meet with the Celts, and ask for a peace treaty.
Otherwise we cede superconductor. It's doubtful they have only one unit, and remember, they now have paratroopers, with Cremona within Range.

This sure is a tough game!

They are a Democracy, so we can't rebribe the city.

SCG:
the two turn plan sounds good. Then we launch, and I will have to fortify all the fronts.

2000$ a turn for military improvements, plus all the libraries and universities.
Old March 21, 2003, 19:21   #35
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:

Indeed. I agree that I should have expected celtic spies, and that I am to blame for the first tech we had stolen.

I just have a problem with the second tech.
If we find a hole, is it not his responsibility to try to plug the hole to avoid further damage?
Well, they stole the 2nd tech on the very next turn. There's only so much we (honest-playing humans) can do. Can the AI civs keep stealing from the same city? If not, the Celts hit a different one for the 2nd tech. We can't protect them all

Quote:
What's done is done. Now we have to finish this game and blast off this hostile planet.
I agree. Let's escape this place!

Quote:
We're not even in the 20th century, yet we are fearing an AI launch!

It would be better if the Celts stole superconductor than plastics, because we could hope that the AI builds additional Modules.
I don't think the AI *can* build a bad ship.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old March 21, 2003, 19:37   #36
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

Well, they stole the 2nd tech on the very next turn. There's only so much we (honest-playing humans) can do. Can the AI civs keep stealing from the same city? If not, the Celts hit a different one for the 2nd tech. We can't protect them all
I can confirm that this is an AI cheat. The AI can automatically steal technology from the same city, repeatedly, regardless of spies defending the city, IF the space race is on. And the techs stolen are automatically the ones it needs to build a spaceship (SpFlight,PLas, SuperC.)

Quote:
I don't think the AI *can* build a bad ship.
I've never seen the AI build a ship with more than 3 modules.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 21, 2003, 19:47   #37
cavebear
Emperor

First, I think we should demand a cease fire from the Celts, before this turn is really ended. It should hold for *one* turn, anyway. We can change production in Cremona to a fighter and get it without rushing for next turn. One turn of peace would force the bomber to return to a city. If the Frigate lands a unit, we will see what it is.

Meanwhile, that gives us 2 turns (at least) to get our ship launched. Cremona can be lost without damage at that point. If the Celts get Superconductor from us then, it will do them no good. That's why we had to build the fastest ship. Otherwise the AI would cheat to do it and pass us in flight.

It would be difficult for the Celts to attack us effectively in the turns left. And I don't care if the only city we have left at the end is CAPITOL (it wouldn't be).

Our goal is A/C, if we get there we win!

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old March 21, 2003, 19:52   #38
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

I can confirm that this is an AI cheat. The AI can automatically steal technology from the same city, repeatedly, regardless of spies defending the city, IF the space race is on. And the techs stolen are automatically the ones it needs to build a spaceship (SpFlight,PLas, SuperC.)
I thought they could (didn't know about the "IF the space race is on" restriction, though), but I wasn't certain. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old March 21, 2003, 20:06   #39
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:

This sure is a tough game!
It sure is. The AI can really pour it on for the space race! It's the last-ditch effort, so all the restrictions are removed. You don't think the other civs have suddenly been acquiring all those techs they've been trading around legitimately, do you?

Winning by landing on A/C is a pretty tough way to win unless you also attack them militarily to suppress any production capacity. That was one of the reasons I thought (at the beginning, as now) that our decision to pursue SS *and* a defensive posture as a Democracy was going to be a good hard game. It reduced our ability to use the military to keep us too far ahead.

And it has been a good hard game. We've done very well, and I think we are going to win, regarless of these latest challenges.

Old March 21, 2003, 21:09   #40
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Playing AI is always easy, lets play a no wonder game next so we can at least have a bit of a challenge
Old March 21, 2003, 23:49   #41
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
Playing AI is always easy, lets play a no wonder game next so we can at least have a bit of a challenge
So you think we are doing so badly in this game?
Old March 22, 2003, 03:14   #42
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Not at all, I think launching our SS in 1906 shows we are too good at this ame and therefore could use a larger challenge next game