Old March 20, 2003, 12:47   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 17:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nominations For Marshal
Well, FMK is gone for good it seems, and his proposed successor isn't willing, we need to start all over again. Nominate yourself for the position of Marshal. It really shouldn't be as hard of a job as people think, you need to have coordination skills more than anything else in my opinion. That and you need to be able to pick good commanders of the front.

I'd like to leave Henrik in charge when i go on spring break this next week. If only one person wants the job give it to him. If two want the job, hold a 3 day election. But that's just my opinion.

So nominate yourselves for marshal. I know there are several hopeful front commanders out there who were bragging about their skills at Red Front, step forward!
Old March 20, 2003, 13:36   #2
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 23:10
fmk is away? what a pity we had a carismatic leader.
I don't think I'm good enough to be marshall but guys, we need one soon!!
Old March 20, 2003, 18:45   #3
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Marshallelection
Are you sure FMK is u/s I would have thought he would post an apology if he was unavailable?

As I see it the Marsal will co-ordinate the game but not take moves, I think this is what is turning some people off. How about giving the marshall a small role say in managaging the partisans.

As for the front commanders please post your renewed interest here so we can see who is still activelty interested and the marshal should consider giving every vollenteer a command of some sort.

If within say 48 hours the person doesn't post their move its given to the nearest other commander. After a while i'm sure the numbers will drop but it would make selection fair rather than mate(s) of the Marshall.

Colwyn requests a command along the black sea cities.
Old March 20, 2003, 18:56   #4
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I mentioned I would like to control the north-west front near Kalinin, etc.

I will nominate myself for marshal BUT ONLY if no one more qualified can be found. And I'm only doing make sure the Democracy game doesn't die

Edit: we could institute the CEC as I suggested in the main thread and that might help deal with this better.
Old March 20, 2003, 19:27   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Re: Marshallelection
Quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn
Are you sure FMK is u/s I would have thought he would post an apology if he was unavailable?
I've talked with him personally, he has completely given up on civ

Quote:
As for the front commanders please post your renewed interest here so we can see who is still activelty interested and the marshal should consider giving every vollenteer a command of some sort.
How about NOT? this thread is for nominating marshals, when we have one he can select from those who have already said they are willing.

Quote:
If within say 48 hours the person doesn't post their move its given to the nearest other commander. After a while i'm sure the numbers will drop but it would make selection fair rather than mate(s) of the Marshall.
All the sudden you're in charge?
Old March 20, 2003, 20:25   #6
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Re: Re: Marshallelection
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

I've talked with him personally, he has completely given up on civ

How about NOT? this thread is for nominating marshals, when we have one he can select from those who have already said they are willing.

All the sudden you're in charge?
H, a lot of us are shocked/surprised that FMK would absent himself so suddenly. He had been one of the major driving forces (if not THE major force) in getting this game started.

I don't want to see the game die, but I am in no way qualified to be more than a citizen at this point. In any event, if YOU are in charge, or modding this game in any event, please say so. Otherwise people will start interjecting suggestions like Colwyn did, and I'm doing now.

Right now I'm pretty confused as to where the game goes next.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 20, 2003, 20:32   #7
H Tower

Re: Re: Re: Marshallelection
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

H, a lot of us are shocked/surprised that FMK would absent himself so suddenly. He had been one of the major driving forces (if not THE major force) in getting this game started.
none more so than I

Quote:
In any event, if YOU are in charge, or modding this game in any event, please say so.
While I am mod, I would expect anyone else to respond the same way I did. Threadjacking

Quote:
Otherwise people will start interjecting suggestions like Colwyn did, and I'm doing now.
i thought we had already figured out how play was going to go. why change it before it has even begun?
Old March 20, 2003, 20:46   #8
Colwyn
Prince

Not so comradely HT
I was just posting my views no need to attack me over it and get worked up about so called "thread jacking".

I agree with 3000yo there was confusion and a comment made by you re going too. As people will read that post I wanted to show that I was still commited to help out and thought it would be helpfull for people to show their continued support in the game in the same thread as all the bad news.

I had no idea that you were any more snr in this project than the rest of us.
Old March 20, 2003, 21:04   #9
H Tower

Re: Not so comradely HT
Quote:
I had no idea that you were any more snr in this project than the rest of us.
i don't like to bethought of as above anyone else, but it seems people have put me up there. remember this thread where everyone was talking about how FMK and I got this game off the ground? http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=80405

I'm not attacking you, I'm just a bit peeved right now that FMK walked out on us. so let me apologize, I didn't mean to take it out on you.
Old March 20, 2003, 21:19   #10
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

HTower-

We accepted you as mod, so if anybody has problems, they've had their chance to discuss them.

As for FMK?

I'll say that I'm still active, still enjoying civ2. I want to get a crack at this game, which is why I volunteered for one of the fronts.

I'll go wherever the Marshal puts me, though I do not feel qualified to take on the position myself, especially since I have never played 'RED FRONT' before.
Old March 20, 2003, 21:22   #11
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I throw my hat into the ring only as a last resort if no marshal can be found.

H Tower: would you be willing to take up the marshalship? I would support you and help with anything you need to make things run more smoothly
Old March 20, 2003, 21:30   #12
H Tower

normally I would volunteer for the position, even though I have little to no experience with the scenario, but I'm leaving for spring break tommorow afternoon and will be gone for 9 days, not returning until the 30th
Old March 20, 2003, 22:00   #13
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:10
Fabulous, well, is this supposed to be representative of Stalin's shock?

Old March 20, 2003, 22:06   #14
King

If we have a Marshal or many Generals with little/no experience with the scenario, we could be in trouble. We have to do a lot of selling and rushbuying in the right places, and husband the units you do have so that they're not wiped out in the initial German attack. At least, that's the approach I took after my earliest RF games went VERY badly

I don't want to deter anyone from nominating themselves, but I for one would like to see a steady hand to guide us during the early part of the game. I'd like to see a Marshal who could give advice/tips to front commanders who seek it. I'd like to see a Marshal who has been successful at RF, so when we're getting creamed (and we will at the start), he can offer meaningful suggestions as to how to recover the situation.

My 2 cents. As I stated, I have played RF before, but haven't finished it, so I am by no means qualified to be Marshal.

Perhaps the nominees could give us an idea of their RF experience... or how they will approach the role?

@H - I know you have put a lot into this game. We're all readjusting here, and I didn't mean to come across as trying to challenge you. My apologies.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 20, 2003, 22:06   #15
Colwyn
Prince

Glad no one was sent to the Gulags!
Thanks for the update and clarification HT, i'm glad your only gone for 9 days (I thought spring break mean't all of spring!)

I propose HT as the Mashall and whoever he thinks should be his dep when he's away esp if Henrik's not availablea(not determined yet)

As for the marshal's experience I think we will manage if we have some experienced stavka reps offering advice to the marshal. This could be what Anzec, I and others offer in additional support. Maybe this would cover some of Y2000mans valid points.

I have played and done a lot of Mod work with Redfront including creating a RF1.5 (much harder) so I'm happy to take on some responsibilities if so selected by the marshall.

Last edited by Colwyn; March 20, 2003 at 22:53.
Old March 21, 2003, 07:40   #16
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

if nobody else wants to be the marshall i can take it, but i prefer a more experience player to take the marshal
I'm doing this because I don't want this game to die

does Henrik want to be the marshall??

that about fmk it is very VERY weird, but everybody has his own life so...
Old March 21, 2003, 07:45   #17
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

i see that henrik doesn´t want to be the marshall
Old March 21, 2003, 22:15   #18
Colwyn
Prince

I guess I'm like the other will do it if I have too but
If get to share the role with someone else from time to time and that I can still command a millitary command i'll be raring to go.
Old March 23, 2003, 05:23   #19
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Ok, so far we have two nominees then:
Anzac and Shaka (possibly Colwyn?)

Anyone else?
Old March 23, 2003, 18:47   #20
Colwyn
Prince

Formation of Stavka to share Marshal job!
Ok its obvious that no one realy wants the full time job of being the Marshal, it will involve a lot of organising and emailing of the participants to keep the game flowing. And under current rules the marshal was not going to be given a command!

We have 3/4 people so far however who are willing to take the roll on part time and as such some of us have discussed the formation of the Stavka for up to 5 people who effectively become the organisors of the game and also elect from their numbers a current Marshal.

If it is ok by the nominatee's, members of the forum and HT I offer up the current nomination to be on the Stavka :

Hightower
Anzac
Shaka Naldur
Colwyn
and one other!

Or if more people are interested we may need to vote?

I really think this is the only way it will work long term as if we keep having to re-elect a marshal from scratch or wonder what to do when he/she is absent the game will founder.

The advantage of our Stavka idea is that any one of them can back the marshal up in the event of any delay at his/her end. ie once the turn rules and procedures are set you only need at least one person in the Stavka to be "active" per day and not one marshal every day for the year say.

Further more what do the nominators think about allowing the marshal having a front command? Stavka reps can still be commanders/ministers but the marshal?

Personally I say yes b/c you need some reward after all that work and for me it would be playing a command.

I only bring this up b/c we are foundering on the Marshal, not any other aspect of the game that has already been decided. Many people have emailed me re this idea so you better back me up now that I've posted it. If not you may find yourself in a Gulag, or will I?
Old March 23, 2003, 19:07   #21
The ANZAC
King

I support STAVKA and hopefully it will help us to get this game underway.

yes, I put myself up for nomination

it would take the burden off the marshal since no one here wants to take the full onus of it.
Old March 23, 2003, 20:20   #22
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 16:10
Sounds like a good idea to me. I support the formation of STAVKA.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old March 25, 2003, 18:35   #23
Colwyn
Prince

I'll go Marshal to start off at least..
If the nominated Stavka can finalise the rules and ok the change to allow the marshall a command. ie in History Marshal Zhukov did command various fronts as needed.

Hightower will be back in approx 2 days (can you confirm henrik) so we'll be able to finalise this proposal.

Anyone else wants to be on the stavka 1 position left!

Noiminations close this Friday, no voting needed if we don't get more than 5 nominations.
Old March 26, 2003, 01:39   #24
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

About the marshal being given a front command:
The marshall is the one who gives everyone their reinforcements, if he himself has one of the fronts, then it's going to be hard for him to be impartial, it's invetable that his own front will in one way or another benefit fromt he fact that he is the one who decides when reinforcements come, he'll also almost allways be able to get reinforcements while others may have to wait several turns as other fronts takes precedence...

The marshall allready gets to controll the partisans, I think that'll be enough really.

Hightower has asked me to hold elections in his absence, however I think we should have a vote on weter everyone supports your stavka idea or not before electing you marshal.

Oh and to anyone who becomes marshal/is placed on the stavka, I still want the baltic front
Old March 26, 2003, 02:03   #25
Colwyn
Prince

I just knew someone was going to say that
Yes there could be a bit of a conflict of interest, but it seems the only way to get someone(stavka) to take on this role over the long term. Didn't Zhukov do the same?

However I have posted a new thread on what real time turn lengths we have, if we keep it strict then the Marshal could assume to get the occaioanal backup command when a commander does not take their turn on the day I supose.

This is assumming we go with that idea also.

Though if instead of a command the marshall gets the NKVD and navy as well as the partisans then i'd be happy for that compromise and maybe others.

As you said we should vote on all these ideas and get the aye's to say whether they are prepared to be marshal if they are part of the ayes that win. (there might be a few options but it should cover peoples ideas/conditions for being marshal.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:10   #26
The ANZAC
King

Well, no one has objected to STAVKA and the marshal would be chosen by STAVKA, so I guess it's fair game to say once we get he 5th slot filled STAVKA is in existence?

Also, I think that the marshal will not be pigheaded enough to focus on his front alone. And if so, STAVKA is the group that appoints the marshal, so we have a check there.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:14   #27
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The ANZAC
Also, I think that the marshal will not be pigheaded enough to focus on his front alone. And if so, STAVKA is the group that appoints the marshal, so we have a check there.
Plus, in the real world, STAVKA didn't worry about allocating reinforcements in a 'fair' way. And generals hijacked supply convoys ... etc.

Old March 26, 2003, 18:18   #28
Colwyn
Prince

Join us in stavka 6000 yo
We need one more nomination and you just posted so unless you want to go to the Gulags join us in our proposal.

Stavka is not hard just requires common sense, some loyalty and the ability to be active on the forum.

PS I find it weird that its Thurday morning for me and for you is Wednesday evening!
Old March 26, 2003, 18:27   #29
King

Re: Join us in stavka 6000 yo
Quote:
We need one more nomination and you just posted so unless you want to go to the Gulags join us in our proposal.
Uhhhhhhhh... ..okay.....

So long as I'm not expected to play I have a lot of succession game experience, but relatively little RF experience. And even less successful RF experience

Old March 26, 2003, 18:35   #30
Colwyn
Prince

Doing your patriotic duty!!
Thanks, I don't see not playing as a problem in fact it would be good to have a non RF expert in Stavka, succession XP is even better!

You may even curb some ambicious ideas by the stavka too as there are some high risk manoveurs you can do in the game to get way ahead but if they fail it really puts you back a bit.