Old April 15, 2003, 02:05   #31
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is it just me or does the Merchant crash your system too?
Old April 30, 2003, 16:22   #32
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 14:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tattila,

It sounds like you aren't using the most up to date version of the mod. The merhcant and freight units had to be removed because the AI just couldn't deal with them properly.

I would also like to take this moment to let you all know that we are about to release the next version of the mod to the testers within the next couple of days.

So the latest should be out to the public within the next week or so.
Old April 30, 2003, 22:52   #33
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:13
Oh no! Does this mean my old game (that I have had idle for a while ) has to die for a new game with a new version? Or will I be able to use the old game with the new additions/alterations/fixes?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 30, 2003, 23:43   #34
Kal-el
Warlord

Well, you can always keep playing your old game until you finnish it and then move on to the next version. And in a recent email from Isak:

Quote:
There is a way to avoid the beta-build screwing up other versions of the game. (this is a copy/paste from a mail i sent one of the testers a while back, so let me know if clarifications are needed :-) )

If you need to have 1.04x or 1.05x installed for Multiplayer purposes, follow this procedure:

1) In the Scenarios folder, temporarily rename the 'Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX' to '104_Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX"

2) Make a copy of the 'DYP' folder and it's contents, and rename the copied folder to 'DyP_104'.

3) Then install the full mod, up to the latest 1.10x beta files

4) Go into the scenarios folder and rename the new 'Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX' to '110_Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX' and the DyP (not DyP_104) folder to 110_DYP.

5) Open '110_Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX' in the editor, go to scenario|scenario properties on the menu, and in the Search Path box, delete everything and copy/paste the following line in as replacement (make sure you get all commas and semi-colons with it

..\Extras\Medieval Japan\;..\Extras\World War II\;110_DyP;Double Your Pleasure

6) Save the file and exit the editor

7) Remove "104_" from the "104_Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX" filename and also remove "_104" from the "DyP_104" folder. (it was a temporary change remember :-) )

now you should have the files:

Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX (which is the version 1.04)
110_Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX (which is version 1.10)

and the folders:

DyP
110_DyP

Whenever you use Load Scenario and load one of the above files, they should find and use the correct folder, and whenever you play a game (PBEM for example) which uses version 1.04/105x it will be able to find the right files too, as nothing has changed.

To start up a 1.10x multiplayer game, you'll need to get your opponents to set up exactly as above though. I'm afraid there are no free rides
Old May 2, 2003, 10:11   #35
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:13
I have played this until 1942 AD recently, and it was quite cool.
Just had late 1800 century world war, and the Otto-AI was playing hard on me with Siphai cavalry in the beginning. Started to worry a bit, but now I got ballons and bi-planes and loads of cavalry.

Ottos chose a theocracy, and I chose fed.republic.
They seem to be immune to propaganda. Is that a hidden theocracy trait?

Now I built many sewer-systems and city size skyrocketed. So overpop-pollution is a big problem now, and will be for many years, cause ecology seem so far into the future. Got 2 or 3 turns per tech, and dozens of techs to complete first. Are there some other improvements in which can deal with overpop-pollution?
Old May 2, 2003, 11:38   #36
Kal-el
Warlord

unfortunately no. there is only one improvement flag that can affect population pollution and that flag removes it completely, so I am reluctant to give it too early.

remember that overpopulation in the cities was a major problem during the 19th century. I wish there was something I could do about that or at least slow down city growth.

>>>>>

Note: the latest beta build has just been released to the testers. Hopefully there won't be too many changes required and we will be able to release to the public soon.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:15   #37
ThePlagueRat
King

From the historical point of view, I think Kal-el is right about overpopulation. And it's the historical relevance that makes this mod so fun. What I could do about overpopulation is to sell off those sewer system, such as I once did with the slave markets to remove unhappiness. Them too did their job for an epoch or so, and then caused a bit of trouble. It's quite fun with this political and economical and ecological planning.
Old May 4, 2003, 21:59   #38
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 18:13
Just played DyP for the first time... wow, there's a lot of stuff in it. So many techs I have almost no idea what to do. All I know is that I like food and I like roads, so those are generally the techs I have gone for first. I like how you see a lot of "little" cities early on, along with a few "really big" ones.

Anyways, back to playing.
Old May 5, 2003, 07:39   #39
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 00:13
If would download DyP if only there is some "light download" version.

20+ MBs on 33.6K modem?
Not likely.
(exempt if really have some time to spare)

P.S.
At least old version added via PtW looked fine.
Old May 5, 2003, 09:50   #40
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Just want to use this opportunity to thank those working on this project. Those of us who have nearly exhausted the replayability of civ III due to repetitive patterns of outcomes, but like the game, will get some added enjoyment from this mod, which is fun to say the least.
Old May 5, 2003, 15:56   #41
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

@Trip: Thanks I hope you'll give us some feedback once you've had a chance to play a few games.

@player1: Sorry, no small download available at the moment. I'm considering whether or not to compile one, once we release version 1.10x, but it's a lot of trouble (and a lot of graphics removed) and it may become entirely unplayable if too many units use the same animations, etc. so I can't give any promises - but hopefully...

The version that comes with PtW is an ok demo, but it does contain a few oddities, and even a few bugs. The real downside is that it's 6 months old, and on the DyP team, that's almost a like a thousand years.

@jsheir: Thanks too - any feedback you can give us will of course be much appreciated.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:00   #42
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 22:13
Quote:
The version that comes with PtW is an ok demo, but it does contain a few oddities, and even a few bugs. The real downside is that it's 6 months old, and on the DyP team, that's almost a like a thousand years.
I have only that version (can't get that internet thingy to work on my home computer) and it is great.

There are several bugs that make that old PTW version crash which you can get rid of via the editor. (Much better idea is to download the new bugfree DyP if you have internet access). To remove the bugs (and so far as I know this is all of the bugs) from the old PTW version you need to:
- delete the tank unit
- delete the biplane unit
- delete the Wall Street Wonder
- delete the East India Company wonder
- delete the bombard unit

The reason is that if any of the first four are built the game will crash due to lack of splash art (but the AI can build the East India wonder and the game will continue). Anyone can build the bombard unit but the game will crash if you try to look at the civilopedia entry for it.

Hope this helps for anyone who does not have home internet access.
Old May 6, 2003, 03:01   #43
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Thanks, I'll get those bugs fixed and hopefully get Firaxis to use the fix in the next patch.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:47   #44
ThePlagueRat
King

It's really nice how those early tanks do not obsolete cavalry.
Since cavalry is fast (move:3) and the early tanks are medium speed (move:2) and high defense, they can be used in conjunction, and with airships and bi-planes... really gives me the WW1 feeling.

NB: The steam frigate looks real cool.
Old May 9, 2003, 14:06   #45
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Here is a little feedback from my first game with this mod. I played Monarch level to get used to the system.

I really appreciated all the new units. By using bombardment with the longbows, you can field a relatively small attacking army and march from one city to the next with small losses. It looks like going heavy on the longbows and light on attacking units provides a successful mix.

But.....after taking a bite out of the Arabs and devouring Persia, I had dominance of the continent. Built the GL and went zero research, hurrying buildings. That created an economic powerhouse. Built the second wonder that is the later equivalent of the GL and the extra gold to rush buildings was so powerful that I am now at the point where I've built pretty much everything before cavs have been "discovered." These happiness wonders and buildings would probably make the cities content at size 40. It looks like building both the tech wonders is imbalancing, at least at Monarch level.

Still having fun, though. I'm trying for a culture win, LoL.
Posting the save here. Don't laugh at the terrain improvements in our new Persian holdings. I got lazy after it became apparent the game was out of hand and went to automated worker controls.
Attached Files:
Old May 10, 2003, 04:41   #46
ThePlagueRat
King

Sounded very much like my own experience. It's quite fun, but not very challenging. It seems easier than the default game.
Perhaps I should try it on deity!?
Old June 30, 2003, 01:11   #47
GreatInca
Settler

I have conquests beta and I'm upgrading your mod for it. You want a copy when i'm done? There is a little bit of overlap in improvements of your mod and conquests.
Old June 30, 2003, 02:22   #48
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Thanks GreatInca, but we're on the beta too
Old August 26, 2003, 07:06   #49
fanes7
Warlord

This is a "Double Your Pleasure " scenario:

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/fan...urPleasure.rar

PtW1.14f

It has 51 more wonders and many more technologies.
Old August 26, 2003, 07:13   #50
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

Thanks fanes7.

One question. Which version of DyP was it based on? 1.04x ?

Edit: Never mind, I see it was based on 1.00x. I think you forgot to put in the Scenario file actually

In fact, it looks like this is just the 1.00x version without the scenario file and without any changes at all
Old August 27, 2003, 00:26   #51
fanes7
Warlord

It's a directory, copy it in your scenario directory.

In PtW, the scenario file can be a directory.

And I don't know what is "DyP", all I know is Civ3 & PtW & version 1.14f.
Old August 27, 2003, 13:31   #52
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

No, I'm afraid your wrong - unless you want me to overwrite the default DYP directory, nothing is going to happen by adding in another directory. The folder name needs to be hooked up in a scenario (BIX) file, in the Scenario Properties | Search Path value, otherwise the game won't ever find the files that are in the directory.
And you can't add new improvements by simply putting in the artwork - you need to create the improvements and setup their values in the BIX file too.

And still, the directory included in this rar file, is exactly identical to what I submitted as 'DYP 1.00x Low Graphics' to Firaxis almost a year ago - a dead giveaway is the fact that the Science Advisor screens have white backgrounds, instead of the usual grainy Civ3 artwork, and also the fact that the newest file included is dated 23rd October 2002, which was the day I submitted the mod

I'm afraid you must have uploaded the wrong file.
Old August 28, 2003, 00:05   #53
fanes7
Warlord

ou, let me see...

I am now in company, here time is 12am, I will be off duty at 5:30pm. I will check it tonight, thanks very much.
Old August 29, 2003, 00:25   #54
fanes7
Warlord

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/fan...urPleasure.rar

this is new scenario file, it has the .bix file, pls download it, thanks!
Old August 29, 2003, 16:06   #55
isak
Civilization IV Creators
Civ4 Scenario Designer

It does have a scenario file alright, but it's just the standard 1.01x DYP Bix file I'm afraid
Old August 29, 2003, 21:55   #56
fanes7
Warlord

I haven't moved on to the next version, Maybe I play old version at all times. So desponding.

e... I know, DyP is double your pleasure, haha.

Now I know the version I play has many bugs.

where can I download the new bugfree DyP ? Can I play my save-files on new bugfree version DyP?
Old August 30, 2003, 01:05   #57
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

should this be in creation forum?
Old August 30, 2003, 08:29   #58
fanes7
Warlord

I visited the bertskov website, I find that the 1.05x version DyP have less technologies & wonders than 1.00x vertion,

I prefer a scenario which have more technologies and wonders, I don't know why you deleted so many tech&wonders, It really reduce the fun&charm of the game.

I think that what many player want is a nobug 1.00 version DyP, that is : have more tech, have much more wonders, and no bug. Now I found the Zeus' temple & the Buddes temple have the same effect, and if you have both of them, the effect which you get is as same as that you have only one of them, and I find the strategic resource - camel - has not any use .

Now I know the bombard unit will make game crush, so I am very sad, Who can save my game? the blamed bug! It's not DyP, it's double my dejection.

Wish your 1.06x version be more interesting!
Old August 30, 2003, 10:53   #59
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:13
uhhh huh
Old August 30, 2003, 13:49   #60
badams52
King