Old March 22, 2003, 20:17   #211
Cinna
Warlord

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Freedom of speech doesn't mean defending only the speech you agree with. "Freedom of speech" means defending other people's right to express ideas that you've spent your whole life fighting against.
No one said they'd ban burning the flag. We've just said that those that do better watch out for our counter free-speech .
They have before, and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. Just like with burning crosses. Wait, what was the upshot with that? Anyone?
Old March 22, 2003, 20:22   #212
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Freedom of speech doesn't mean defending only the speech you agree with. "Freedom of speech" means defending other people's right to express ideas that you've spent your whole life fighting against.
People who find flag burning offensive because it offends people who have died for the flag should think for sec. That they also died for the rights of the flag burners to do their thing.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:44   #213
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Quote:
No one said they'd ban burning the flag. We've just said that those that do better watch out for our counter free-speech
And if I see someone assaulting someone else just for burning a piece of cloth, then I'll have to defend the person doing the burning.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:49   #214
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 18:15
No one is talking about assaulting anyone (or battering anyone either).

But, assume someone is battering someone for burning the flag. Isn't your intevention against your moral code that you shouldn't use violence except for self-defense?

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 22, 2003, 21:50   #215
David Floyd
Emperor

Not really. I've already stated several times that defending another person is a perfectly moral activity, although there is no moral compunction to do so.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:51   #216
David Floyd
Emperor

And by the way, yes, that means I have no problem killing Saddam, as long as a)no other Iraqis are killed in the process, b)no Americans are killed, except for those who specifically volunteer for the action, and c)I'm not forced to pay for it - the act is paid for through voluntary donations ONLY.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:54   #217
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Not really. I've already stated several times that defending another person is a perfectly moral activity
So, wait... are you saying the Gulf War '91 was morally justified because the US was coming to the aid of another country that needed help? .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old March 22, 2003, 21:54   #218
David Floyd
Emperor

No, because I was forced to pay for it, for one thing.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:55   #219
David Floyd
Emperor

For another, the US didn't ask the 500,000+ troops if they wanted to go help Kuwait.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:58   #220
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
No, because I was forced to pay for it, for one thing.
You didn't even PAY taxes in '91, Floyd!

And you aren't forced to pay for anything. You can leave if you don't want to pay .

Quote:
For another, the US didn't ask the 500,000+ troops if they wanted to go help Kuwait.
They volunteered, that means giving consent to the government's sending them anywhere.
Old March 22, 2003, 23:20   #221
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

tia:
Quote:
I'm proud of my family and my country and I will make no apologies for that.
No problem, after all this is your thread! You can tell all those trolls to contribute or buzz off and no one will say a thing.

Also, don't blame yourself for others getting banned, you were not posting inciteful posts or continuing a flame war. Those posters did that all by themselves.
Old March 23, 2003, 00:28   #222
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
You didn't even PAY taxes in '91, Floyd!

I do now, though.

Quote:
They volunteered, that means giving consent to the government's sending them anywhere.
I suppose they also consented to letting the government just shoot them at will, huh?

No, they volunteered to defend the nation. They made the grave mistake of voluteering for an immoral, aggressive organization, but that doesn't make forcing them to fight moral.
Old March 23, 2003, 01:43   #223
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
tia:

No problem, after all this is your thread! You can tell all those trolls to contribute or buzz off and no one will say a thing.

Also, don't blame yourself for others getting banned, you were not posting inciteful posts or continuing a flame war. Those posters did that all by themselves.

As always the voice of reason I would have told Tass to go fly but the point would have been what? That only would have served to inflame him more, however, I do appreciate the non-troll status he seems to be on.

I will say this.......David I love you to death you know this.....but don't turn this into one of your troll debate things or I will have to shoot you!!
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old March 23, 2003, 01:51   #224
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
but don't turn this into one of your troll debate things or I will have to shoot you!!
If he keeps up his trolling, you won't have to... because he won't be around here posting...
Old March 23, 2003, 02:31   #225
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Not really. I've already stated several times that defending another person is a perfectly moral activity
So, wait... are you saying the Gulf War '91 was morally justified because the US was coming to the aid of another country that needed help? .
Actually, I'd like to chirp in here.

Yes, I believe GulfWar 91 was completly justified. Instead of raping and murdering Iraqi citizens, he would do the same to Kuwati citizens. Therefore he had to be surpressed from Kuwait.

Quote:
I would have told Tass to go fly
From the times we've chatted....I believe that

Quote:
I do appreciate the non-troll status he seems to be on.
Maybe the banning knocked some sense into me
Old March 23, 2003, 02:49   #226
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I suppose they also consented to letting the government just shoot them at will, huh?

No, they volunteered to defend the nation. They made the grave mistake of voluteering for an immoral, aggressive organization, but that doesn't make forcing them to fight moral.
They didn't volunteer to 'defend the nation' or else they'd be in the National Guard (which is sent anyway, tough). The Army, Navy, AF all are sent around the world to advance US interests. They knew it signing up.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:13   #227
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
I knew in the navy no country would have the balls to take on one of our navy ships.

An aircraft carrier is safer than nearly every american city.

Although terrorists have shown the weakness of ships in port.

In any case if people didn't love their country when the joined the military they would essentually be blood thirsty killers or mercenaries. I mentioned that in an earlier thread. I don't consider myself a merc.
Old March 23, 2003, 12:07   #228
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
says a person who lives in a country protected by another country with patriotic people.
Protected from what?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 23, 2003, 12:26   #229
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger

Protected from what?
Americans

If they wheren't defending us, they'd probably be invading us.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 23, 2003, 12:51   #230
yavoon
Warlord

freedom of speech works both ways. you can burn the flag and people can call you unpatriotic )@(#* for doing it. sometimes that is lost.

the flag burners feel it is not only their right to burn it, but their right to not be ridiculed for it.
Old March 23, 2003, 13:31   #231
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Actually, I think they feel they shouldn't be assaulted for it, which is fair.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 23, 2003, 13:36   #232
yavoon
Warlord

if u mean physically, yes. if u mean ridiculed, no.
Old March 23, 2003, 13:39   #233
Odd
Settler

Local Time: 19:15
Itīs funny... everytime I read a pro-war post, I sympathize more with the anti-war cause...

- Weīre fighting for freedom, the freedom to blindly support everything the White House decides! Thatīs why we hate those french, openly opposing the most powerful nation on earth in itīs moment of rage. Thatīs so coward! Why donīt they have the courage to obey the strong and attack the weak? Besides, if you oppose war, you oppose America!

and then thereīre the anti-war... everytime I read an anti-war post I think that pro-war might be right after all...

- Weīre so sad that America is answering violence and hate with more violence and hate... So how do we convince americans that we can all live in a world of love, with no unilateral decisions, where everyone respects everyone countryīs and oppinionīs? By cursing their name, hating their country, calling their president a nazi and burning everything they hold dear, of course!!

*Note - This was just a joke towards the more radical edges, of course most posters donīt think like that.
Old March 23, 2003, 13:42   #234
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
if u mean physically, yes. if u mean ridiculed, no.
In what world does "assaulted" mean "ridiculed?" Threatening and ridiculing are two very different things. One's illegal, the other isn't.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 23, 2003, 14:06   #235
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Dear Bad People: Take notice. The Marines are coming, and they're pissed!! Love, America
Typical.

Since I'm anti-war, I guess I'm one of the "bad people". If this is true, I only ask the marines to kill me swiftly, without pain. Thanks.
Old March 23, 2003, 14:15   #236
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm sure the marines will abide by your wishes- not

They will kill you slowly with great deals of pain.

Those murderous marines will prevail!!
Old March 23, 2003, 14:39   #237
yavoon
Warlord

yes and I never insinuated that they should be physically assaulted. so obviously my brain had a hard time understanding why u were replying to me.

especially considering I was relating specifically in the domain of freedom of speech. ur post in hinesight seems rather useless.
Old March 23, 2003, 17:13   #238
Alex
Emperor

Diss, do you really believe that the war is motivated for a genuine and humane effort to free Iraqi people from oppression? I'm asking because I find it hard to believe that someone could be so naïve...
Old March 23, 2003, 17:38   #239
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I do not know what Bush is thinking in his head. So I cannot answer your question. Bush may be going to war for the wrong reasons.

And I do not support those reasons.

I have my own reasoning for supporting this war. They may or may not be the same reasons Bush has. I cannot get inside his head.
Old March 23, 2003, 17:39   #240
Alex
Emperor

Too bad you're not in command, huh?