Old March 21, 2003, 13:19   #1
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
(MMO)RPG's to look forward to
The future is looking bright.

Temple of Elemental Evil is coming in Q3.

Brought to you by Troika, the people who pioneered the comprehensive roleplaying options in Fallout and Arcanum. 3rd edition D&D but with the ability to experience a different adventure with different endings depending on the alignment of your party and the actions you take in the game? I can't wait.

Warhammer Online is coming in 2004.

One of my favourite PnP roleplaying systems coming to the PC, with career based adventuring rather than the endless level grind. Yum!

Now I just have to forget they exist so I don't overkill on anticipatio by hanging out at thier forums too much
Old March 22, 2003, 00:07   #2
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
there are just too many of them, most of them are fun to play.. except lineage!! that game plain sucks...

I played it beta (for european server testing etc) and it simply MUST have been the shittiest RPG i've ever played!!

PS: of course this thread is about the MMO(RPG's) to be released so i'll shut my mouth now
Old March 22, 2003, 06:51   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 18:15
Planetside is looking to be a great game. More an MMOFPS, its gotten the attention of Tribes fans.
Old March 22, 2003, 07:30   #4
VJ
King

Local Time: 22:15
Quote:
Warhammer Online is coming in 2004.
It's not related to the earlier Warhammer-games, I hope?
Old March 22, 2003, 08:08   #5
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 16:15
I've recently played a bunch of sessions of the Dransik game now in beta, and I have to admit that the MMORPG genre is starting to grow on me.

I could do without all the leveling up and childish behavior of some of the other players, though.
Old March 23, 2003, 01:08   #6
pg
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Planetside is looking to be a great game. More an MMOFPS, its gotten the attention of Tribes fans.
ps does look good, but i'm still very skeptical about it. the only real things it looks likely to have unique to itself is massive warfare, and a huge class type system. i'm not even sure if there is any point to the fighting in the game? are there resources, etc?

does it really offer so much more than a regular quake/tribes/ut/cs game(remember the mods for these also)? there will also be problems with ps imo it can probably never overcome. since it's a fps, ping will have a big impact on player's skills in game. however, i seriously doubt ps is going to have servers available locally for everyone, like you can find with every other fps game. plus you have to pay which you don't have to for any other fps. you also will have to gain experience to unlock everything so you will still have to put in lots of time i bet.
Old March 23, 2003, 04:08   #7
VJ
King

Local Time: 22:15
Quote:
Dransik
Old March 23, 2003, 22:21   #8
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:15
Star Wars Galaxies. It's gonna be for the comp as well as consoles.

Go Empire!!!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 24, 2003, 13:06   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu

It's not related to the earlier Warhammer-games, I hope?
Kinda.

Warhammer started as a roleplaying game where you were pitched into a version of Mediaeval Germany. You didn't play stereotypical wizard, cleric and warrior but took on careers like rat catcher, bodyguard, town watchman etc. Instead of levelling up you spent Xp on the skills your career could teach you then move to a new career when you wanted to move on and could find a new employer/trainer.

Pretty soon afterward they brought out Warhammer Fantasy Battles, where you could fight using miniatures. These armies are based on the FRP races, so you have orcs, skaven, undead etc but the way they operate combat is very different.

Shadow of the Horned Rat etc PC games were inspired by the fantasy battles rules, having you as the leader of your own mercenary army. They use Warhammer places as the backdrop for their story. Beyond that there should be little relation to the new MMORPG.

The beauty of the roleplaying was the level free emphasis. A bit like UO if you want to be a herbalist that searches the woods for ingredients then makes potions you should be able to do this without ever having to fight a zillion orcs to reach a new level of skill in potion making. So while there will be plent of big bad monsters in the wilderness, ruins and sewers for the hack'n'slashers to fight they won't be the only path to wealth and glory.

Last edited by Grumbold; March 24, 2003 at 13:11.