Old March 28, 2003, 12:39   #31
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
That's another disappointing aspect about the AI in Civ3, that's just a too common stupid AI move when a REAL AI surprise attack (no sitting in your territory vulnerable) would be so much more powerful & worthy against a human player. Soren didn't fix this in PtW?
The RR is a huge disadvantage to the AI. Assume both you and the AI has RR, if he lands his troops on your turf, you know to gather your men from all over the continent to wipe out his invasion force. But the AI doesn't do this. They are too stupid to utilize their RR. So, it's impossible for AI to beat human once RR comes around.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old March 28, 2003, 23:57   #32
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
The RR is a huge disadvantage to the AI. Assume both you and the AI has RR, if he lands his troops on your turf, you know to gather your men from all over the continent to wipe out his invasion force. But the AI doesn't do this. They are too stupid to utilize their RR. So, it's impossible for AI to beat human once RR comes around.
Though I can't say for sure, I've heard from other people that they've wiped out the entire AI offensive forces just by landing some MA on the mountains and watch the AIs offensive units use RR and die one by one trying to dislodge them.

Then all you see after that is one at a time attacks i.e. as soon as they're built. Meanwhile, you unload your offensive units and go to town!

I think the problem is the AI usually doesn't have a large enough force. We humans have learned that 12 transports full of units becomes unstoppable.
Old March 29, 2003, 00:28   #33
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
Totally Incorrect! The AI uses its RR quite effectively, bringing all its forces to bear on a seaborne invasion force.

Imagine, if you will, a beachead in mountains, with about a dozen each of tanks, infantry & artillery, with reinforcements streaming in. Any movement off the mountains gets overwhelmed by knights, cavalry and longbows ? all the offensive forces at their disposal. The invasion was, strategically, a total failure; not a single city taken. I had to withdraw my forces and sign a truce. Sure, they lost 2-4 attackers for each of my units they destroyed, but ....
Old March 29, 2003, 00:39   #34
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I have consistently had games on standard or larger maps wherein all or nearly all civs survive until the very end. In many games, the AI wouldn't even war with each other until after I got the ball rolling with some aggressive wars of my own.
Old March 29, 2003, 08:59   #35
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew

This is VERY true. ALL AI Civ try to mimic what you do, their Aggression Levels & other factors play a VERY minor role. I would wager starting location as the #1 influence on how AI Civs turn out & how you play as #2.
I'm wondering about how far that goes. I'm a peaceful builder, and sometimes I'll send spare workers over to a smaller peaceful civ and work their land for them.

After a while, I'll see some of their workers come over and work my land.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 29, 2003, 11:19   #36
nationalist
Warlord

In my games there are only as many civs as there are continents. Each continent has been dominated by someone. As I always play large continents, there are only 2, or at most 3, civs left by 1950.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 29, 2003, 11:45   #37
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I'm wondering about how far that goes. I'm a peaceful builder, and sometimes I'll send spare workers over to a smaller peaceful civ and work their land for them.

After a while, I'll see some of their workers come over and work my land.
That's nice, but you're giving the AI too much credit.

They're probably just hooking up one of their cities on the other side of yours with roads or building a path of irrigation back to their own cities. The AI will do both.
Old March 29, 2003, 11:50   #38
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I think map type has a lot to do with it. The game I am playing now has only one superpower, me. However in some games I have played there has been one or two AI superpowers, I have never had just one AI sp and me.

Sell your photos
Old April 4, 2003, 10:37   #39
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 16:25
in my current game, there are about 5 civs on the "other" continent. the ottomans are the largest, about my size, but the carthagians are a bit smaller, but farther in the tech tree than anyone else and have started all of the wars, often signing military alliances with everyone on the map. so basically whoever they declare war on has to fight everyone and they disappear in a few turns.
Old April 4, 2003, 10:45   #40
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 19:25
That's a disgracing thing, a civ with many contacts and too much aggressive. I think that in your case Hannibal is kinda always mad because he looks like a poor bench-sleeping drunk, and he can never truly overcome such a bad appearance.
Old April 4, 2003, 23:38   #41
Lord Merciless
Warlord

My best game was played as Romans on a huge map with 16 civs at emperor level. There were a total of 3 main continents. My continent had 5 civs on them, one had 3, and the other 8.

By 1200AD, I cleaned out my own continent. By 1350, I had the small continent almost under control. By 1776, only three civs remained when the Domination Victory prevented the other 2 civs from being destroyed by me. I would expect them to survive at most 4 turns since about 180 MAs and 80 artilleries were ready to attack.
Old April 5, 2003, 07:14   #42
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 18:25
Whenever any civ declares war on another, I make sure they don't actually gain any territory. I like to keep them nice and weak until the modern age when I actually build a supermassive army of MA's and roll over everyone else.
Old April 5, 2003, 10:46   #43
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 19:25
I like to support minor civs, "lending" units (well, I control them, but win their battles), giving money, tech and luxury, and stuff... seems so political.
Old April 6, 2003, 11:27   #44
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 23:25
I just finished a game when it only were a small, small war in the middle ages between my civ Spain and the Babylonians. The only thing that happened in that war was that I destroyed one of their tundra cities. Otherwise, the whole game was as peaceful as an early spring morning. However, after I´d sent away my spaceship to AC and won the game, I just nuked the English for fun, and that started a world war worse than anything I´d seen before, with almost all civs against each other!