Old March 24, 2003, 12:06   #1
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Here's my problem
Unlike most people who post on this section, I like MOO3. There are some problems, for sure, but I feel those will be addressed.

Today, however, as I got ready for work this morning I realized I hadn't played the game for over a week. This wasn't for lack of time or any inconvenience. I just didn't play. What's more, I have a game nearing completion and I'm still not drawn to play. I don't know how to explain it.

I'll reiterate that I do like the game. I can't point to anything specific as a reason for not caring to play it. This to me is MOO3's biggest downfall. If I don't desire to run it, how can I get sucked into the OMT syndrome?
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2003, 12:17   #2
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:27
I share your feelings on MOO3. I am frustrated with it, but keep going back to play it. However, I cant seem to stay interested in a game. When I do go back to it, I usually start a new game.

Not sure what the deal is with MOO, love/hate on any given day.
Romanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2003, 12:19   #3
Spec
Emperor

Is it like that only with MOO3 or anyother game? If it is like that with anyother game than you are just getting bored with video games and are waiting for something REALLY different.....like me.

Spec.
Old March 24, 2003, 12:30   #4
Romanus
Chieftain

Hey Spec
Well, I definately have lost interest in most genre of games. RTS and shooters used to be my main source of fun. Now, I refuse to buy an RTS or shooter until I see something different. RON may bring me back to RTS.

I play the heck out of Civ3 and Madden 02 and 03.

I think I am at the point where I dont have to have whatever is new and popular. For me, Operation Flashpoint is all I need for my Shooter fix. Nothing all that innovative in the newer games. For my RTS fix, I will play Sids Civil War series-Gettysburg and Antietam.

I will buy GalCiv when it comes out.....and will continue to play MOO3, just not sure I will ever get hooked on it.

And as much as I love Civ3, I hope there is a Civ4, and it really expands on the current game.
Old March 24, 2003, 12:32   #5
Spec
Emperor

I know what you mean, first shooters, I play Counter-Strike and I'm satisfied as for Strategy, I'm still stuck on Starcraft. I've been playin it for more than 3 years and it's still MY number one game.

Spec.
Old March 24, 2003, 12:39   #6
Romanus
Chieftain

Ive noticed something else as I play MOO3. It really is extremely simple to play. Even with the use of Governors, Civ3 requires a certain amount of micromanagement from the player.
MOO3 on the other hand, is very straight forward. Obviously the first time you dive into the game, its a mess of menus and cryptic jibberish...or at least it can seem that way. But once you get the hang of it...its maybe too simple. I generally allow my viceroy to control a planet until its zoned...then I click off the planetary AI and take over for myself. The planets generally grow very well, and I build improvements and units as needed. Adjust the Oppressometer thingy whenever you have spy problems, tinker with research allocations....and explore.....thats it.
Diplomacy and combat are fairly straight forward....so the most fun I have is redesigning my ships every 10-15 turns :-)
Old March 25, 2003, 04:13   #7
Daz
Prince

I think theres a lack of suspense.

Research is boring. I mean, do you actually read what a tech is about? No. Would it matter if you did? Still no.

This translates into shipbuilding. Theres no interesting combos to try out, weapon stats to examine. You just press a button and voila....theres your ship.

Defence in too easy. I mean you almost dont have to pay any attention to defense if you got enough ships in the reserves. Just go to that MobCenter and voila... theres your armada to meet that pesky oponent.

It seems to me the strategy part of the game is missing. You dont have to plan things. Stuff happens and you react.

I thing someone at QS or IG tried too hard to make this a MP game.
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2003, 05:14   #8
PDifolco
Civilization II Succession Games
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:27
Can I hint an explanation ? Well, maybe the game is just boring ...
I mean you would LIKE to enjoy it, you see potential, some stuff that SHOULD be grand .. But it isn't, most of the play gives you a feeling of pointlessness and you feel unrewarded, so you don't come back to your previous game, try another, it plays the same, repeat ...

Or maybe your attention span is short ?
PDifolco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2003, 06:01   #9
AntaranX
Settler

It's all called addiction.
AntaranX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2003, 12:44   #10
Romanus
Chieftain

Well, no question my attention span is not what it used to be. I think though, that my attention span is directly related to a games enjoyment factor.
I really want a space based empire builder.....and MOO3 was my first choice. However, Galciv is out any day now...so I will give that a try.
I definately dont like MOO3 research.......I feel to detatched.

Anyway, im playing Neverwinter Nights now, had it for a while but hadnt tried it. I need a break from tech trees and culture flipping.
Old March 25, 2003, 17:39   #11
Don K Hotay
Warlord

MOO3 is meant to be enjoyed through multiplay games. Without a competitive AI, things are just too damn easy, and thats why I haven't been drawn to single player. I play single player to test out the technologies and development plans and so forth, so that I can offer a mean game of multiplayer.

Quixote
Don K Hotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2003, 17:45   #12
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus
...I definately dont like MOO3 research.......I feel to detatched....
Research for me is the best part. I don't like playing games like civ that tell you all the techs available, and then having to research all the techs.

We aren't at all detached from researching tech in MOO3, because what we do is decide how much to fund research and then how much to allocate research funds. The rest is left to the scientists.

Quixote
Don K Hotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2003, 18:15   #13
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 14:27
I installed one of the AI mods (colin's) and now I feel a reward when I can defend a system, or when I take one over... as for reading techs, because that mod slows down the research rate, I actually read them too.

i think the problem is about how the AI in the game is easy to beat, no challenge, so no real strategy.
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2003, 01:48   #14
SINISTER1974
Chieftain

I often restart games- even when im ranked #1. I have never finished a single player game--i just get to the point of im gonna kick everyones ars--whats the point and restart. But when it comes to multiplayer games i have a blast and cant get enough of it. It is so fun getting 6 humans to play and beat the crap out of each other or become really close allies and team up on others I have played many mp games and actually have finished 2. Rest were stopped either by people quitting, or repeated crashes by someone.
SINISTER1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2003, 20:56   #15
Tuberski

I haven't played MOO3 MP yet. But the game does seem geared towards it.

Think about it, when you have a time limit game, a lot of things you will just not be able to worry about, so the AI takes care of it for you.

That leaves you to bash your ships against another person's ships for control of the galaxy.

MP probably is more fun, but I don't usually play MP, so the game doesn't have a one more turn feel to me either.

It does while I'm playing, but if I stop playing.....there is no itch to go back to the game. I was on vacation for a week and a half, no work, no family, and I played maybe 10 hours total.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2003, 23:05   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That to me is a fatal flaw.
The same thing happened with Civ3. I enjoyed playing it while I was, but when I stopped it just didn't draw me back. When I had to format my computer, I just didn't bother reinstalling Civ with it. Alas.

If MoO3 is the same, looks like I won't be playing this after all.