Old March 24, 2003, 20:04   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Demo Game F.A.Q.
I'm making damn sure we have one of these for the new game!

I'll work on more a bit later.
  • What is a Demo Game? The answer isn't obvious at first glance. In fact, the DemoGame is simply a game where several people play with the same Civ in the same game. Imagine you're with a friend in front of the same computer, and you rule your Civ together, you discuss what would be better for a Civ. Now, imagine you're discussing the same way with 100+ people : it is the Apolyton Civ3 DemoGame.

More precisely, the DemoGame is a single-player game where every participant can give some input, can influence the game. All important -and some unimportant- matters are debated in this forum. The one who physically plays the game (the President) has to follow decision met by other people.
    The game is played like this : our ministers give orders for the 5 next turns to the President in a specific thread of this forum (a turnthread). The president plays the game at home, following these orders. He can stop playing before the 5 turns are done, if a major surprise happens.

Ministers and President are elected by the people, in monthly election. The people can give a very important input to the game, by giving ideas, setting up polls and so on. Everybody can run for a minister / president post.

Ill edit this up to reflect whatever constitution we decide on. Thanks Spiffor for the great guide where I stole this from!
  • Are there any Rules? Right now we are using the same set of rules as last game. You can read them here:http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=72122
    There is also discussion about simplifying or changing the rules in several thread on this forum. Please voice your opinions as well.
  • How do I join? First, you need to be registered on Apolyton to be able to post in the forums. Once that is done, you go to the civgroups section and click 'join' next to the Civ 3 Democracy game group. Congratulations, you have now become a citizen!
  • What game/version is being played? We are currently playing the expansion for Civilization 3, Play the World, and using patch version 1.14f, but will upgrade to 1.21f when it is available worldwide.
  • What is the setup of the game you are playing?
    Version of Civ to use:
    Play the World Version v1.14f to be upgraded when 1.21f is available worldwide.
    We have decided not to play with any modifications

Map settings
    Civilisation choice: Vikings
    Difficulty Level: Deity
    Map: Impartially created map to focus on Naval combat
    Other Civs: all 23 others....

Other parameters: (eg Accelerated Production, Regicide...)

No Elimination
    No Regicide
    No mass regicide
    No victory point locations
    No Capture the Princess

Civ specific abilities enabled
    Preserve Random Seed enabled
    No Accelerated Production
    Cultural Conversions enabled
    No respawn AI
    No culturally linked starts

Victory Conditions
    Domination
    Space Race
    Conquest
    Cultural
    NO Diplomatic
  • Will I be able to look at the save? Yes. The save will be made public after each set of moves from our government. It can always be found in the report threads made by the government, or linked to in the Directory located at the top of the page. Anyone is allowed to access the save as long as they do not cheat.
  • What do you consider cheating? Making any alterations in the game that the government has not made is considered playing ahead. ie. No moving units, making trades, or otherwise altering the save file. Also, any means of gaining information not readily available within the game through one of the screens via the use of editors or any other means is prohibited.
  • How do I become active? It's easy! Simply join the Demo game and start posting with your ideas. There will undoubtedly be several discussion groups pop up to enlist the opinions of the public. Don't forget to vote in polls, and perhaps even run for a government position!
  • How is the government of the nation organized? Currently we are set up with a President and Vice President who actually play the game. They are assisted by ministers of War, Foreign Affairs, and Domestic who issue orders on the military, foreign relations/trading, and city placement/build queues/workers respectfully.
  • What is the interactive part? There are many ways to be a part of the game. First is to post in this forum. Another, however, is through the turnchats. Whenever the President plays a set of turns, he will do his best to hold a chat through IRC (unless otherwise stated by the President). Anyone is welcome to attend the chat, and even play along with him, as long as they stay to the same moves the President makes. There are often decisions that are made right in a chat by polling the attendies, such as to give in to a demand, or other situations that require immediate attention.
  • What other DemoGames are going on on Apolyton? How is this one different?

Can someone give me links to them all, please?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; June 4, 2003 at 15:13.
Old March 24, 2003, 20:06   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Expansion room, just in Case...

* How is the government of the nation organized?

* What game/version is being played?

* How do I become active?

* What other DemoGames are going on on Apolyton? How is this one different?

* What is the interactive part? (....something about turnchats...)

More questions submitted me through PM, Ill get them on the formal list a bit later, just posting here as a reminder...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; April 1, 2003 at 11:40.
Old March 25, 2003, 09:52   #3
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Please help me make this complete. Let me know what all else needs to go in here.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 1, 2003, 11:42   #4
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

feel free to post more questions right in here, and Ill get them in the top post (or two). Of course you can always PM me as well.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 18, 2003, 14:05   #5
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
I think someone needs to update this...
Old February 23, 2004, 05:57   #6
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
BigFurryMonster, are you interested in assisting in updating this?

Here are the instructions for joining the TurnChat / Senate Sessions

IRC CHAT CHANNEL
Short instructions to connect to our irc channel

1) Go to www.mirc.com, download mIRC if you dont have it, and install it
2) click on the options button (second from left)
3) click on "Add" button
4) enter the following in the fields
Description: Apolyton
IRC Server: apolyton.net
Port: 6667
and then click on "Add"
4) Fill in the fields: Real Name, E-mail, Nickname, Alternate(in case the first nick is taken) and press "Connect!"
5) mIRC will connect you to the server and the Channels Folder will appear. Type #Apolyton, press "Add" to store it, and then press "Join".
You're in!

will confirm with Nimitz soon on which room we will be in

Last edited by Paddy; April 17, 2006 at 10:50.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:45   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:29
I can update it.

What do we think needs to be in here?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 11, 2004, 09:57   #8
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 08:29
does uit need updating appears to cover the fundamentals
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 12, 2004, 02:28   #9
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

was going off BFMonsters post in Sept...
Old March 12, 2004, 05:15   #10
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 08:29
thats cool
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old April 6, 2004, 03:18   #11
Rubychaser
C3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG The Horde
King

this is a cool thread, lots of great information.