Old March 27, 2003, 09:21   #121
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Amesjustin
And you should read the UN sanctions against Iraq from 12 years ago that explicitly detail that Iraq is not to have any missiles with a range of (about) 96 miles. Then look at the reports missiles hitting encampments about 150 miles inside Kuwait.
First off, it is established on Poly that you must provide your own proofs, not require someone who doesn't believe you to look them up.

Next, given that Kuwait isn't 150 miles deep, how is it possible for a missile to hit 150 miles inside Kuwait? With the exception of one missile, they've all been short of the range limitations set by the U.N. Apparently a missile that went off course into the Persian Gult went 180 kilometers the other day, which is only 30 kilometers over the limit.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 27, 2003, 13:04   #122
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 14:32
I just have a question for those opposed to US, do you think the war will have positive results or make things worse??

I will be glad to see Saddam go. I also think that many hate US because they are now the world sole Super power, and people dont like that, but someone has to be on top, and US is better then say having China in that postion. ALso if 9-11 did not happen, this war in Iraq would have never came about, I dont know how 9-11 effected people in other nations, but many here in US it changed a lot of things.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:07   #123
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

First off, it is established on Poly that you must provide your own proofs, not require someone who doesn't believe you to look them up.

Next, given that Kuwait isn't 150 miles deep, how is it possible for a missile to hit 150 miles inside Kuwait? With the exception of one missile, they've all been short of the range limitations set by the U.N. Apparently a missile that went off course into the Persian Gult went 180 kilometers the other day, which is only 30 kilometers over the limit.
Well I have heard news reports that indicate that many of the missles fired at Kuwait were indeed scuds, missles Saddam claimed to have gotten rid of. Also Have you heard about the hosipital that they found that had chemical suits and antidotes for nerve gas? We know that US will not use chemical weapons on Iraq, so why would the Iraqies have this stuff??
Old March 27, 2003, 13:11   #124
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:32
Quote:
Apparently a missile that went off course into the Persian Gult went 180 kilometers the other day, which is only 30 kilometers over the limit.
That's quite a ways over the limit though.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 27, 2003, 13:15   #125
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Quote:
Apparently a missile that went off course into the Persian Gult went 180 kilometers the other day, which is only 30 kilometers over the limit.
How do we know that it wasn't just one of the missiles that Iraq was in the process of destroying before the war started? Can we be certain that the job been completed?
Old March 27, 2003, 13:21   #126
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
Also Have you heard about the hosipital that they found that had chemical suits and antidotes for nerve gas? We know that US will not use chemical weapons on Iraq, so why would the Iraqies have this stuff??
Have you heard that there's an abominable snowman that lives in the Himalayas? Hearsay is meangless. They've also said, a few days back, that Basra had been captured, but now we're hearing of heavy fighting there. And the British are even backing away from the uprising story. Truth is the first casuality of war.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:27   #127
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
How do we know that it wasn't just one of the missiles that Iraq was in the process of destroying before the war started?
How is that relevent?
Old March 27, 2003, 13:34   #128
Jack_www
King

Quote:

Have you heard that there's an abominable snowman that lives in the Himalayas? Hearsay is meangless. They've also said, a few days back, that Basra had been captured, but now we're hearing of heavy fighting there. And the British are even backing away from the uprising story. Truth is the first casuality of war.
They have tape of this hosipital and what was in it, I saw it with my own eyes. They turn it into a millitary base so that it would not get bombed by the allied forces. They have found many Iraqi troops with gas masks too, so again why would they have them??
Old March 27, 2003, 13:37   #129
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

How is that relevent?
Because people are now saying "See, he's been hiding something all along!" But if they're one of the bunch that was ordered destroyed, with compliance on Saddam's part, that argument doesn't hold water. Until more evidence comes out it's pointless to speculate, and only leads to misinformation.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:41   #130
Jack_www
King

Willem do you think that Iraq does not have any chemical or biological weapons?
Old March 27, 2003, 13:42   #131
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

They have tape of this hosipital and what was in it, I saw it with my own eyes. They turn it into a millitary base so that it would not get bombed by the allied forces. They have found many Iraqi troops with gas masks too, so again why would they have them??
Why does the US have fallout shelters? Keep in mind that Iran and Iraq once fought a war with both sides using gas. It would be simple prudence to have a few suits lying around, just in case, and proves nothing.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:45   #132
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Willem do you think that Iraq does not have any chemical or biological weapons?
I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but until I see some definite proof I'm not going to make any conjectures either way. So far there's been no "smoking gun", just circumstantial evidence.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:50   #133
Jack_www
King

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but until I see some definite proof I'm not going to make any conjectures either way. So far there's been no "smoking gun", just circumstantial evidence.
Well This is a good postion to have, allthough I am think he has chemical weapons, and the recent disscoveries make me think this even more, but again no hard evidence has been found yet, since they are focused on fighting the war and have bypassed most cities to get to the capital Baghdad. I think that after the fighting is done if Saddam does not use chemical weapons we will find them in his many underground bunkers.
Old March 27, 2003, 22:41   #134
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
We know that US will not use chemical weapons on Iraq, so why would the Iraqies have this stuff??
You mean like we didn't use chemical weapons in Vietnam? Iraq isn't the only country with chem wepaons in the Gulf. Iran also used gas during the first Gulf War.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 27, 2003, 22:44   #135
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
True, but it's not a SCUD nor is it the same range as Amesjustin was claiming (150 miles).
Old March 27, 2003, 22:56   #136
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
You mean like we didn't use chemical weapons in Vietnam?
Out of interest, could you list them for me?
Old March 27, 2003, 22:58   #137
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 22:32
He's probably referring to Agent Orange.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old March 27, 2003, 23:00   #138
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
He's probably referring to Agent Orange.
That's what I thought at first, but he couldn't seriously call Agent Orange a chemical weapon. There must been some sort of gas we used to clear out tunnel complexes or something that che is talking about. Right?
Old March 27, 2003, 23:00   #139
chequita guevara
Emperor

Agent Orange, for one. Just because the defoliants weren't directed at human beings doesn't mean that they didn't cause lots of harm to people. As bad as Agent Orange has hurt American vets, it's hurt Vietnam even worse. It meets the test as a chemical weapon.

Right now, the US is spraying dangerous defoliants in Columbia. It not only kills the coca plant, but just about everything else green also, like food crops. It also makes people and animals sick.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:02   #140
Drake Tungsten
Deity

And so my faith in che is shattered. Now herbicides count as chemical weapons...
Old March 27, 2003, 23:03   #141
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
And so my faith in che is shattered. Now herbicides counts as chemical weapons...
They do when they kill people.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:03   #142
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
Agent Orange, for one. Just because the defoliants weren't directed at human beings doesn't mean that they didn't cause lots of harm to people. As bad as Agent Orange has hurt American vets, it's hurt Vietnam even worse.
Yes, but while AO is a chemical, it's not a weapon. I was under the impression a weapon had to be purposefully designed or purposefully used to hurt or kill... AO was never designed to hurt or kill and was not used in that way. I think they did not realize that it was dangerous until later...

Something being dangerous does not make it a weapon, just like saccharin chewing gum that is discovered to cause cancer is not a weapon.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:05   #143
Drake Tungsten
Deity

BTW, the "dangerous defoliant" America is dropping on Colombia is Roundup. This "dangerous" chemical weapon is present on just about every farm in America. Hell, my dad has some in his garage. Better call in the weapons inspectors...
Old March 27, 2003, 23:07   #144
chequita guevara
Emperor

It was used as a weapon, not against people, but against terrain. Not all weapons have people as their primary targets. For example, the US has used biological weapons against Cuba twice (as far as we know). Once they introduced swine fever, which resulted in half a million of Cuba's pigs having to be destroyed. Recently we've sprayed a type of scale (thripsis) over Cuba, which attacks Cuba's crops.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:08   #145
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
BTW, the "dangerous defoliant" America is dropping on Colombia is Roundup.
Roundup isn't the one I'm talking about. This particular pesticide I'm talking about is a fungus.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:11   #146
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
It was used as a weapon, not against people, but against terrain. Not all weapons have people as their primary targets. For example, the US has used biological weapons against Cuba twice (as far as we know). Once they introduced swine fever, which resulted in half a million of Cuba's pigs having to be destroyed. Recently we've sprayed a type of scale (thripsis) over Cuba, which attacks Cuba's crops.
It's arguably a weapon when used against swine, for instance, because swine are economically important to people. Foliage generally is not, therefore chemicals that kill foliage are not weapons (while chemicals that kill rice crops, for example, could be classified as such).

We have words like "herbicide" for chemicals that are not weapons. AO is an herbicide.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:13   #147
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
This particular pesticide I'm talking about is a fungus.
Well, there's no evidence that the fungal pesticide is dangerous. A guy who writes for our college paper *****ed about the same thing in a column and got ripped to shreds afterwards. You'd be suprised how pissed off ag professors get when you make false claims about the products they invent...
Old March 27, 2003, 23:30   #148
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
And so my faith in che is shattered. Now herbicides count as chemical weapons...
If they're so destructive that they kill can someone, and they are used in that cotenxt then yes, they are. I grew up on a farm and we used herbicides; and you definitely don't want to be drinking the stuff out of the bottle, or rub it over your body. You'd be dead in no time. If those same chemicals are used in a combat situation then they would be considered chemical weapons.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:35   #149
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
BTW, the "dangerous defoliant" America is dropping on Colombia is Roundup. This "dangerous" chemical weapon is present on just about every farm in America. Hell, my dad has some in his garage. Better call in the weapons inspectors...
My father used to used it as well, and it can be very nasty stuff if not handled properly. Try taking a drink of it sometime and see how long you live. There have been calls over the years by enviromentalists to have it's used banned, since it a fairly nasty poison, and damaging to the soil and ecosystem if not applied correctly.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:35   #150
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
If those same chemicals are used in a combat situation then they would be considered chemical weapons.
They're not being used in combat situations. Agent Orange was used in Vietnam to kill off the vegetation in the jungle to make US operations easier. Roundup is sprayed on coca fields in Colombia to kill the plants. They're herbicides, not chemical weapons.