Old March 28, 2003, 23:03   #1
Azeem
Prince

Local Time: 22:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unit Ideas for Cavalry Upgrades
Since Cavalry is a dead-end unit in the game, why not extend its usefulness by allowing it to upgrade to modern equivalents?

How about this as a suggestion?

Cavalry -> Land Rovers -> Humvee

Land Rovers and Humvees aren't heavily armed as tanks, thus when Cavalry upgrades to them, it won't be too big of a jump.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2003, 01:33   #2
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
That is how it is done in my mod.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 06:07   #3
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Not to point out the obvious.....but the US army is currently driving it's "Cavalry" division through the Iraqi desert in Humvees or some such mechanised infantry type vehiclews.

Hey, Perhaps Civ4 will have "embedded" CNN reporter units with armies to investigate cities as our units approach them!!!
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 09:08   #4
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 16:43
But I think it would be 'ZNN' just so we don't have to listen to commercals of it.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:36   #5
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 14:43
Another option, and the one I have taken, is to have the Cavalry upgrade to Huey Assault Choppers which in turn upgrade to Apache Gun Ships.
Kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2003, 18:49   #6
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 17:43
Indeed, I know in Vietnam the "cavalry" were helicopter divisions. You could try making a combat helicopter, and having the cavalry upgrade to that.

Of course, personally I like having them a dead end because it makes modernization a real effort instead of simple weapons upgrading like other advances.
Old April 2, 2003, 20:50   #7
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 17:43
I agree, cyclotron. Yes, cavalry was replaced with tanks, helicopters, etc. However, the difference of equipment and technology from horse to tank is far greater than it is from musket to rifle. You have to get new resources, build new infrastructure, retrain soldiers in a fundamentally different way. It was much easier to simply hand people better rifles and let them shoot. I think that Infantry should be a dead end, or given an upgrade to a modern soldier with an M-16. You should have to build your Mech Infantry from scratch.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
nationalist is offline   Reply With Quote