MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
More good news in the world... Mystery bug doctor dies
From BBC

Quote:
The World Health Organisation expert who first identified the mystery pneumonia that has claimed dozens of lives has himself died of the disease, the UN agency has announced.

Dr Carlo Urbani, a 46-year-old Italian and an expert on communicable diseases, had identified Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in an American businessman admitted to hospital in Vietnam in February. ...
Bad enough, but it gets worse...

Quote:
However in China, where the outbreak has killed at least 30 people, the communist regime is enforcing a media blackout, apparently concerned that news of the disease will cause panic.

Chinese authorities have come under widespread fire for their secretive handling of SARS.

They have continued to stall on granting permission for a group of WHO doctors to visit the south of the country, where China's first cases of the virus appeared.
Let's deal with a problem by preventing people from knowing about it or talking about it... la de da de da...
Old March 29, 2003, 14:57   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:44
Re: More good news in the world... Mystery bug doctor dies
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Let's deal with a problem by preventing people from knowing about it or talking about it... la de da de da...

Sometimes I think that China is on the path to Superpower status, but other times........

Old March 29, 2003, 14:59   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:44
12 Monkeys.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 29, 2003, 15:00   #4
OneFootInTheGrave
King

bu huu... now that sounds scary some weird times ahead if this disease spreads as it could.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old March 29, 2003, 15:12   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
Well, we would have to wait for more cases in places like Canada or Europe to give it "12 monkey" status.

This does make it cloear our battle with illness is far from won, if ever.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 29, 2003, 15:20   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
12 monkeys. that was a great movie.

But indeed, as disturbing as it seems, fortunately, it is has not spread to far and wide. *knocks on wood*
Old March 29, 2003, 15:33   #7
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:44
Fortunately, this illness is far to be as contagious as the 12 Monkeys one. However, it's still very dangerous.
Old March 30, 2003, 14:05   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

Hasn't someone in Swansea died of it?
Old March 30, 2003, 14:23   #9
Caesar the Great
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
on the "plus" side, natural population control in china.... although i'm sure the families of the deceased would not agree
Old March 30, 2003, 14:28   #10
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 16:44
china already has population control

the millions of babies aborted

and the ratio of men to women

Jon Miller
Old March 30, 2003, 14:32   #11
Caesar the Great
Emperor

key word,

natural population control
Old March 30, 2003, 14:48   #12
DanS
Deity

Here's a pretty comprehensive article, with focus on the US (it being Atlanta, and all)...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/new...0sarsmain.html

China decides to help track the disease, but then puts it on hold for several days while they install an electronic tracking system.

Luckily, the CDC likely will have an antibody detector to isolate real cases of the disease.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 30, 2003, 14:53   #13
Az
Emperor

Quote:
natural population control
That's the most piss-poor argument I heard for quite some time. so this is better than controlled child-birth, because it's natural? Would you prefer the epidemic to work as population control, or the governmental program? Remember, the governmental program is not natural! It doesn't create sickness and suffering!

"Help me, I am dying"
"Don't worry, Honey, It's only natural."
Old March 30, 2003, 15:08   #14
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Yeesh. From the article, it sounds like Metro Toronto isn't a happy place to be right now. Two hospitals closed, three under restricted movement, all volunteer, patient transfer, and visitor programmes shut down.

Oh, and thousands of people under quarantine.

*scratches off Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Chinatown Toronto from visitation list*
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 30, 2003, 15:10   #15
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It kills about 4% of its victims. While high, it's not in the 1918 Flu/Bubonic Plague range. Like the 1918 flu, however, it seems to be targetting adults. Well, ain't **** I can do about it so
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 30, 2003, 15:17   #16
DanS
Deity

Edit: The 1918 Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2.5%.

Last edited by DanS; March 30, 2003 at 15:26.
Old March 30, 2003, 15:30   #17
Az
Emperor

Old March 30, 2003, 15:36   #18
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Edit: The 1918 Spanish Flu had a mortality rate of 2.5%.
It killed more Americans than all of America's wars put together up to that point. Are you sure you have the percentage right?

Historical note, my great-great-uncle died of the Spanish Flu.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 30, 2003, 15:48   #19
DanS
Deity

Google says that 28% of Americans contracted the Spanish Flu. 635,000 died.
Old March 30, 2003, 15:50   #20
chequita guevara
Emperor

How many of us were there at the time?
Old March 30, 2003, 15:52   #21
DanS
Deity

100 million or so. So that squares.
Old March 30, 2003, 15:54   #22
chequita guevara
Emperor

You're right.
Old March 30, 2003, 17:48   #23
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
So this thing is more deadly than the Spanish flu. loooooovely.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 30, 2003, 17:50   #24
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:44
Damn, this SUCKS

Mis Novias
Old March 30, 2003, 19:16   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 15:44
Only you get it.

Or a friend of yours gets it.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old March 30, 2003, 23:40   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Well, we would have to wait for more cases in places like Canada or Europe to give it "12 monkey" status.

This does make it cloear our battle with illness is far from won, if ever.
I'm pretty sure we've got a handle on it now.

Ontario Public Health has gone schizoid and has quarantined a couple of thousand people for 10 days...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 31, 2003, 01:21   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

That's the most piss-poor argument I heard for quite some time. so this is better than controlled child-birth, because it's natural? Would you prefer the epidemic to work as population control, or the governmental program? Remember, the governmental program is not natural! It doesn't create sickness and suffering!

"Help me, I am dying"
"Don't worry, Honey, It's only natural."
I get the feeling he was joking
Old March 31, 2003, 01:51   #28
Az
Emperor

you can never know around here.
Old March 31, 2003, 03:34   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

He is Doctor Evil, after all.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:56   #30
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar the Great
on the "plus" side, natural population control in china.... although i'm sure the families of the deceased would not agree
It's an idiotic comment. Anyone who says this is a fool. What's next? Is he going to claim the Iraq War is a great way to reduce the size of the US military?

People are panicking in Hong Kong. All work stopped in my office after a rumour started that someone (or her mother, or her mother-in-law) had got the virus.

I've been telling people not to worry, but no success so far.

Any advice about how to calm people about this virus?