Old May 21, 2003, 14:52   #241
Bossy20000
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The problem isn't that we keep the cities, the problem is that we don't have enough units to keep them all, without having a (medium) risk of losing some of them. I don't really mind losing Gomel or Bryansk (what, to the Gulag with me! ), but we can't afford to lose Perekop, Rostov, Voronezh or Serafimovich. If they do so, our front could collapse, leaving every city vulnerable to German attacks, and not only the front cities. In that case, we won't be able to keep them all properly guarded, and we will loose city after city, and after some months we might end with only some Russian islands left in a sea of Germans (God, I must be in a pessimistic mood) I don't say it will come this far, but we shouldn't entirely rule it out either.

Feel free to comment, we need to discuss this now, and we haven't got the Politburo yet to do it there.
Old May 21, 2003, 15:46   #242
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 18:45
Well Comrade Michealovitch I cant say I disagree.

But then Im used to a more traditional RF approach and try to focas on defense until Winter of '42-'43.

If Pavlov's creeping attacks work thats great, if not it could be bad.
Old May 21, 2003, 16:15   #243
Bossy20000
Prince

That's what I meant, it could get risky if the attack should fail. It's for that reason we should discuss it here at STAVKA.
Old May 23, 2003, 05:41   #244
Colwyn
Prince

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Creeping attacks
Yes thats me, no one knows when I will strike to the german enemy or even enemies of the state.

Many of you feel the salient will fold, I guess then that if it doesn't fold it will prove again my valor as a commander.

If any fronts are going to fold its going to occur because it didn't push back and retake a few cities from the germans now in winter! Esp knocking out tons of aircraft sheltering in enemy cities!

Clearing 10-30 german divisions in winter and taking back staging areas from the germans will take the germans at least a month or two to get back their gains.

I'd rather see us lose a few red guards and take out 5 times as many germans now than have 5 germans attack later.

Our commanders only need to focus on their front which should have them doing quite clever things. I've noticed that most fronts have a plane or two, lets see if they combine them with a AA to block out the enemy, or take out many aircraft before the AA, plane falls in combat.

I am trying things I've never done before, we should all be doing it, the race is on to berlin I Pavlov plan to be there.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanomir.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	45864  
Old May 23, 2003, 08:54   #245
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

about the blockade, I like the idea a lot, but only bombers have that ability, and you are the only one with bombers...
that gives me something to think about
Old May 23, 2003, 10:31   #246
Bossy20000
Prince

I have already mentioned somewhere (I start to lose track of what I said in which thread ) that we should consider redistributing the airforce, some people have many planes, others haven't got that much. I prefer losing a plane while destroying 10 bombers, then having those ten bombers attack every two turns! Bad enough for us, some cities have no planes at all, which makes this impossible to do! Also, if we destroy enough of his fighters (I agree on this with Colwyn, if we can attack their cities without or with little casualties on our side, we should do it to destroy most of his airforce), we can use ours as blocking units, and so divert his troops from our weaker cities (we only need to keep them till next winter, because then we will start launching attacks towards Germany and its allies)
Old May 23, 2003, 17:59   #247
Colwyn
Prince

What about fighters
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
about the blockade, I like the idea a lot, but only bombers have that ability, and you are the only one with bombers...
that gives me something to think about
They now have a range of 2 in summer, won't they operate the same way as bombers now?
Old May 23, 2003, 18:05   #248
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

which units??
Old May 23, 2003, 23:22   #249
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 18:45
I dont think Russian Fighters can stay in the air like bombers, they have to land or crash at the end of movement each turn.
Old May 24, 2003, 00:28   #250
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 17:45
Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
I dont think Russian Fighters can stay in the air like bombers, they have to land or crash at the end of movement each turn.
Nope, the LA-5s have a move of 14, and the Yak-9s have a move of 16. 7 out and 7 back, and 8 out and 8 back. So, I see no reason why the fighters can't be stacked with a good defensive land unit as a 'block'.

AFAIK the only air unit we can build that acts like the traditional Civ2 Fighter (needing to land at the end of every turn) is the Il-2 Shturmovik.

AND OF COURSE - in winter, all of our planes need to end turn in a city

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 24, 2003, 02:17   #251
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Could Anyone tell me which cities is under the 2nd Ukrainian Front? I haven't been told yet.

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old May 24, 2003, 02:45   #252
Colwyn
Prince

Look at first post of thread
Quote:
Originally posted by FiGu
Could Anyone tell me which cities is under the 2nd Ukrainian Front? I haven't been told yet.
It has the cities under your control and is updated when needed.