Old March 31, 2003, 04:41   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's not just Klein anymore...
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...///?hub=Canada

Canadian premiers are weighing in on the federal government's decision not to join the U.S. in its war on Iraq. Last week it was a rebuke from Alberta's Ralph Klein, and this week Ontario's Ernie Eves joins in -- and says it's not just about trade or polls.

Ernie Eves: I think it is important for our American friends south of the border to know that not all Canadians have taken the position that the Prime Minister and his government have taken. The United States is our long-time ally for many decades... They have always been there for us. They virtually defended our country, in large part for many decades, and I believe we should be there for them when they need us in their time of need.

Also, pro-war protests are cropping up (I never thought I'd see that).

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...///?hub=Canada

In Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Ottawa (of all places).
Old March 31, 2003, 04:50   #2
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Um, surprise surprise, the two most conservative premiers in the nation don't agree with the Prime Minister. Who'd have thought it?

Other than the Ottawa rally the pro-war protests are pretty small compared to the anti-war protests - Toronto managed to pull in at least 5000 today for an anti-war rally that wasn't even advertised. And the Ottawa rally was mostly parliament hill politico types from what I am told.

But at least they came out to make their point - which is more than can be said for those who are content to sit on their backsides. So they have my respect if not my agreement.

Still a minority....
Old March 31, 2003, 04:57   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Um, surprise surprise, the two most conservative premiers in the nation don't agree with the Prime Minister. Who'd have thought it?
Is Eves really more conservative than Campbell?

Quote:
Other than the Ottawa rally the pro-war protests are pretty small compared to the anti-war protests

Obviously you didn't see the Calgary anti-war protest. 8 people (literally) standing across the street from the American Consul in Calgary, with ducttape over their mouth, all day.

The Pro-War rally was many times that size...
Old March 31, 2003, 04:57   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Not bad for a minority who are not used to activism. It's not like these guys and gals are the usual crowd du jour to burn a McDonald's down when the IMF is in town.

It must choke some people to know that Canada has many conservatives, and that some of those conservatives are premiers.
Old March 31, 2003, 04:58   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

BTW, NYE, did you happen to see an article about war support in Alberta?

IIRC, the difference between Calgary and Edmonton was massive...something like 20%.

Found it: http://canada.com/national/story.asp...A506A5D17C4%7D

War support in Calgary: 58.2%
War support in Edmonton: 37.6%
War support in Rural Alberta: 59.3%

More evidence that Edmonton has been infiltrated by the commies. You guys are weak.

70% of Albertans agree with Klein's stance on the war, though.

Last edited by Asher; March 31, 2003 at 05:04.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:00   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Score!
http://edmonton.cbc.ca/template/serv...atoday20030326
Quote:
Calgary - A group of Albertans is taking out an ad in USA Today to tell Americans they support the U.S.-led attack on Iraq.

Richard Wambeke of High River says he got tired of complaining to his wife about Canada's lack of invovlement in the war.

"We basically think the prime minister and his Liberal colleagues missed a great opportunity to come forward and at least support them, albeit we don't have much of an armament to do anything of real physical might," Wambeke said. "Great men and women, but not much of a military budget to do things with.

"And to turn our back on our closest friend and trading partner seemed to me to be more than I could take."

The half-page ad, expected to run sometime next week, will cost about $30,000.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:02   #7
notyoueither
Deity

I believe it. Edmonton is much less in line with the regional norms. It is a very strange place. I like it though.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:19   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I've only ever been to Edmonton once...it was weird, it was almost like a sister city to Calgary, but at the same time had a weird vibe.

What I found odd is (and this is purely anecdotal), many people from Edmonton frequent Calgary, but not many people from Calgary frequent Edmonton...
Old March 31, 2003, 05:26   #9
notyoueither
Deity

Actually, most people from Edmonton are peripherally aware that there is a stampede once a year 180 miles south of us.

Seriously. There is more than enough going on around here to keep most people occupied

The people who cared about Calgary moved there a long time ago, sometime after Calgary won the battle of commerce and started landing all the head offices. Maybe those are the people you speak of who commute back and forth.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:30   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It's mostly people I've met online, college kids my age going to the UofA. Oh well.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:33   #11
notyoueither
Deity

There is a lot of back and forth up and down the highway in IT. There wouldn't be, except the government centre is here. That draws a lot of attention.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:47   #12
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I've only ever been to Edmonton once...it was weird, it was almost like a sister city to Calgary, but at the same time had a weird vibe.

What I found odd is (and this is purely anecdotal), many people from Edmonton frequent Calgary, but not many people from Calgary frequent Edmonton...
Oh come on. Everyone in Canada wants to go to West Edmonton Mall!
Old March 31, 2003, 05:49   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Strangely enough, that's why I went to Edmonton.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:11   #14
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 15:49
Quote:
Oh come on. Everyone in Canada wants to go to West Edmonton Mall!
It's a hell of a damn mall!

Quote:
War support in Rural Alberta: 59.3%
Dang! Well, how about war support in Rural Alberta... on Apolyton? 0%!

At least, I think I'm the only rural Albertan here. Who knows?