View Poll Results: What do you prefer in a starting position? Feel free to choose multiple answers.
Lots of luxuries 20 27.78%
Fertile land 38 52.78%
Strategic resources 8 11.11%
Defensive land 3 4.17%
Barren and difficult 3 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31, 2003, 16:11   #1
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Starting positions
Here's a question which I feel has gone somewhat unanswered. What do you think is the best type of starting position? If it's not in the poll, reply in the thread.
Old March 31, 2003, 16:22   #2
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:51
*sigh* Well let me be the first to say it before everyone else gets in: grassland cows next to a river. Anything less and restart.

Generally though, I think most people look for fertile land (grassland, cows and river) with luxuries in the beginning -- one or two luxuries is all you'll need to REX and destroy.

If you've turned to the darkside, the only strategic resource that might be difficult to get in the beginning is iron, but that is easily rectifyable through war.
Old March 31, 2003, 16:43   #3
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
SP - barren and lifeless. Even on Deity I find multiple riverside cows rather boring. I will play almost any start, but I prefer the ones that are uncommon, interesting, and offer a challenge. For this reason I like to play 3 billion year-old planets.

MP - just the opposite!

Dominae
Old April 2, 2003, 13:18   #4
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 23:51
Lots of luxries for me - different types being optimal!

The reason? I only play Deity these days, so happiness is the BIG factor. Having 2 different types of luxuries mens an early Republic government which keeps the research up - any extra resources can be traded for bonus advances or different luxuries or strategic resources.

Here's my reasoning - strategics are only needed to START building those important military units - luxuries are needed every single turn.

Barren and lifeless? Deity's tough enough without that.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 2, 2003, 13:24   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Gimme rivers, cows, and bonus grassland, please. I like nice starts. Given my style of play (or more accurately the goals of my play), I need them.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 2, 2003, 13:32   #6
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Fertile land for quick growth (don't need too good land like 2 cows, just something decent) or definitely luxuries. Luxuries are priceless.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 2, 2003, 13:35   #7
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Gimme rivers, cows, and bonus grassland, please. I like nice starts. Given my style of play (or more accurately the goals of my play), I need them.
Ditto, at least when playing on my own. I tend to be more interested in seeing how big I can win than in trying to find games that give me a tough fight. In comparison or competitive games, the start doesn't matter nearly as much because "winning big" is more of a relative concept when I can compare my game with others'.

Nathan
Old April 2, 2003, 13:56   #8
epics
Warlord

I would like a fertile land and hills or mountains. Almost always my capitol is the most productive city.
Old April 2, 2003, 16:07   #9
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Well, yeah. It's rather obvious that your capitol is the most productive, since it has the palace in it .
Old April 2, 2003, 20:12   #10
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

I'm willing to take almost anything except tons of jungle.

If I had to pick between lots food and lots of luxuries... I'd go with luxuries. I can always find a good food site... but if don't have a luxury in place by the time my cities start hitting size three...
Old April 2, 2003, 20:34   #11
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:51
I like fertile lands, as anybody (bonus grassland... ) but I like difficult starts once in a while, to get my feet back on earth after a too easy game...

--Kon--
Old April 2, 2003, 23:40   #12
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse

If I had to pick between lots food and lots of luxuries... I'd go with luxuries. I can always find a good food site... but if don't have a luxury in place by the time my cities start hitting size three...
That's what the luxury slider is for, and the luxury slider is why I'll take food over luxuries any day. Eventually, I'll get some luxuries hooked up, but the luxury slider can keep me growing and productive until then - especially if the starting position is along a river.
Old April 3, 2003, 00:40   #13
epics
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ephesos
Well, yeah. It's rather obvious that your capitol is the most productive, since it has the palace in it .
Yeah but many players just move their palace, I do this rarely so it's my capitol from the beggining to the end.
Old April 3, 2003, 06:35   #14
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I have to go with the 'fertile land' option, enough to get a few reasonable cities out quickly to get things rolling. Luxuries nice, but as nbarclay says, there is always the luxury slider. Especially in republic, let cities grow and stifle unhappiness with the slider if you have any. Strategic resources? You only need one of the ancient era resources to ensure that you are able to get the other, and even a good archer stack wil be able to grab you strategic resources in a pinch. Never had any troubles here at all (well, apart from my first ever Iriquois game, where the nearest horses were right under Egypts capitol...). Defensive land usually means slow city growth, plus I can't remember the last time that the defensive terrain around my capitol became an issue. Difficult starts? Sometimes I like the challange. I've got a game on the go at the moment as the celts, surrounded by jungle and desert, with about 5 tiles of grassland. Not easy.
Old April 3, 2003, 07:53   #15
mabellino
Settler

Local Time: 22:51
fertile....
being a relative newbie I like my starts as easy as possible.... one day I may even attempt to play a Regent game ;-)
Old April 3, 2003, 16:10   #16
HazieDaVampire
King

Stick me on a non desert island and i'm super happy!
Old April 4, 2003, 04:28   #17
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Give me a river (for a windmill), some wheat (for flour), by the seashore (for salt) and my French will give you 5'000 + years of the best baguettes you ever tasted.

More seriously, river (or lake) + wheat or cattle, that's enough for me

I always reset the game when I see jungle (otherwise I'd play the Zulus).

I admire Dominae, Aeson & Co. for their masochistic plays but I'm still an egg...
Old April 4, 2003, 04:36   #18
Worthingtons
Prince

Great Topic
I think there are other specifics people look for two - loads of fertile land around you is fantastic, some look for the Ability for a Supercity (prefferably thier capital) which they can an early wonder with (cos it seems close to impossible to do above Monarch).
Old April 6, 2003, 16:11   #19
syzygy_gal
Settler

I like to start next to an ocean so I can get the Colossus and Great Lighthouse in my capital city. I make sure there are plenty of resources and I don't start in tundras or deserts.
Old April 6, 2003, 17:18   #20
nbarclay
Emperor

The only way I'd seriously consider building an early wonder in a really good capital is if other cities can take over the capital's cattle (and maybe other good food tiles), leaving the capital with plenty of shielded grasslands (or equivalent) for production. Otherwise, the capital is too busy as a settler pump to even consider building wonders.

Nathan
Old April 8, 2003, 13:57   #21
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I must admit I do not seek out games like these all the time, but they're surely memorable, and therefore fun:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yikes.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	41973  
Old April 9, 2003, 04:05   #22
Fatalis2
Settler

Simple : I restart if I don't have a cow and a river...
I play for fun, not for competition... Then, Regent level and a good start position are perfect for me !!
Old April 9, 2003, 05:08   #23
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Fatalis2
Simple : I restart if I don't have a cow and a river...
I play for fun, not for competition... Then, Regent level and a good start position are perfect for me !!
Competition is fun.
Old April 9, 2003, 08:46   #24
Kirby
Settler

I like to found cities on hills for the defensive bonus. It's the only way I can survive at the difficulty levels above Monarch. Hills with gold are the best!
Old April 9, 2003, 09:37   #25
Rogerdude
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My ideal location has Food (Wheat) and Production (Cows), beside a river (Commerce and growth to size 12) and the sea (Wonders requiring it).
One luxury doesn't hurt, but it's now mandatory.