Old April 1, 2003, 14:04   #1
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Finally got PtW - and it just crashes!
I can't even start the game, it crashes within 30 sek. I found this in the readme file:

Quote:
NOTE: TBS Santa Cruz sound cards can cause some compatibility problems with Play the World.
Thats what you get for having a state-of-the-art computer...

Anyone knows if there is a fix for this?
Old April 1, 2003, 15:29   #2
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Get a new new sound card.

No, seriously...I´ve no idea.
I can just spread my happiness:
I finally got PtW after months of waiting and so far it works perfectly
Old April 1, 2003, 17:00   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Yeah, great. A new sound card... The sound system is my favorite part of the current computer. The 5+1 surround gives me better sound than the stereo in my living room. Sacrifice that for PtW?

This is the crash log if someone would bother.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	41358  
Old April 1, 2003, 17:03   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:55
Olaf, have you checked with the manufacturer's website for the possiblity of an updated driver for your sound card? An undated driver usually fixes the problem.
Old April 1, 2003, 17:38   #5
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Olaf, have you checked with the manufacturer's website for the possiblity of an updated driver for your sound card? An undated driver usually fixes the problem.
I checked. There is no update available. The only one I found has the same version number as mine.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:01   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

What operating system are you using Olaf? By your posted crash log, it says "Windows NT 5.1." Is this correct? Or are you using Windows 2000?

Here's a link I found concerning your sound card that will hopefully be of some help:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp
Old April 1, 2003, 18:08   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

In addition, on the same linked page, at the top there is "(Knowledge Base articles). Click on this link, move down the page, and you'll see "troubleshooting" with a subtitle of "Game issue - Hardware Acceleration" and "Game Issues - Win 9X, ME (VxD Drivers)." Maybe these will shed some light on your problem.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:23   #8
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
What operating system are you using Olaf? By your posted crash log, it says "Windows NT 5.1." Is this correct? Or are you using Windows 2000?

Here's a link I found concerning your sound card that will hopefully be of some help:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp
That's excactly the page I visited. I am using XP, which is probably another name for NT 5.1.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:24   #9
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
In addition, on the same linked page, at the top there is "(Knowledge Base articles). Click on this link, move down the page, and you'll see "troubleshooting" with a subtitle of "Game issue - Hardware Acceleration" and "Game Issues - Win 9X, ME (VxD Drivers)." Maybe these will shed some light on your problem.
Thanks,
I will check this tomorrow. Now is time for bed.
Old April 1, 2003, 18:32   #10
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 17:55
Yes, under the hood, Windows XP is just the newest version of NT.

- TT
Old April 2, 2003, 14:16   #11
Chemical Ollie
King

There's nothing about game incompatibility issues in the FAQ on the Santa Cruz site.

Crap, I don't even know if the sound card is the problem. That's an assumption based on the text in the PtW Readme.
Old April 2, 2003, 20:54   #12
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:55
Go into Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced Audio Properties > Performance and try turning down the hardware acceleration on your sound and try the game each time you turn it down one notch. Worth a try.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:23   #13
Scourge
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Go into Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced Audio Properties > Performance and try turning down the hardware acceleration on your sound and try the game each time you turn it down one notch. Worth a try.
Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest. Set it to the minimum This has worked for other people who've had the same problem. Just remember to set it back to normal when you're done playing Civ3:Ptw. Good luck, let us know if this works.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:36   #14
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
I tried all 4 levels. None of them worked.
Old April 4, 2003, 00:47   #15
Scourge
Settler

What version of PtW are you using? Do you have the latest patch? Did you have any trouble running Civ3 before you got PtW? Also, you might want to read through this page.
Old April 4, 2003, 00:52   #16
Scourge
Settler

One more thing...Have you tried emailing Infogrames tech support with a description of your problem and a help request?
Old April 4, 2003, 02:27   #17
MalevolentLight
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 17:55
One more thing, why waste your time on this game? Do you realize the civ2 forum is by far more active than the civ3 MP forum? There hasn't been a post in the MP forum in like a week, what should that tell you? This game came out and was patched the release day. You aren't missing anything and it sounds to me that your stereo system is just too much for this piece of **** game. If you've played civ3 then you've played PTW since only difference is a few leader heads and alot more bugs. Civ2MP has more people playing it than civ3 does and it's like 5 years old MP and nearly 8 years old from the original. Do what everyone else did, bring you game back and get your money back and then write an email to Firaxis telling them to **** off.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:35   #18
Chemical Ollie
King

I have the Scandinavian version which is delivered with patch 1.14 out of the box. I tried this, suggested on the support page:

Quote:
NOTE: If you are having problems running the game under Windows XP, the first thing you may wish to try is to run the game in Compatibility Mode. To do this, right-click on the icon or Start Menu entry you use to run the game, then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, check the box that reads "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", and select the OS that you wish to activate compatibility for in the drop-down box. Click the OK button to save your changes, and try running the game again.
None of the options solved the problem or changed anything.

I never had any problems running CIV3. Not on this computer and not on my old.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:43   #19
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scourge
One more thing...Have you tried emailing Infogrames tech support with a description of your problem and a help request?
No. It could be worth a try. But my experience with tech support about hardware/software incompatibility is that they just blame each other.

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; April 4, 2003 at 02:49.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:46   #20
Chemical Ollie
King

Edit: Ooops, wrong button!
Old April 4, 2003, 02:56   #21
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MalevolentLight
One more thing, why waste your time on this game? Do you realize the civ2 forum is by far more active than the civ3 MP forum? There hasn't been a post in the MP forum in like a week, what should that tell you? This game came out and was patched the release day. You aren't missing anything and it sounds to me that your stereo system is just too much for this piece of **** game. If you've played civ3 then you've played PTW since only difference is a few leader heads and alot more bugs. Civ2MP has more people playing it than civ3 does and it's like 5 years old MP and nearly 8 years old from the original. Do what everyone else did, bring you game back and get your money back and then write an email to Firaxis telling them to **** off.
The reason I aquired PtW is to take part in the AU games in the strategy Forum here on Apolyton. I do not have time for Multiplayer, as that would lock me by the computer without being able to leave it for many hours. My family would not like that.

CIV 2 WAS an excellent game. WAS is the key word here.
Old April 5, 2003, 05:56   #22
Scourge
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

No. It could be worth a try. But my experience with tech support about hardware/software incompatibility is that they just blame each other.
Yeah, I know what you mean...But it couldn't hurt to try. Who knows? They might surprise you by actually helping you out (and maybe even solving your problem). Also, I should have suggested this to begin with, but have you tried completely uninstalling both PtW and the original Civ3, then reinstalling and patching both? That's another thing that's worked for quite a few other people.
Old April 17, 2003, 17:22   #23
Chemical Ollie
King

Finally...After finishing a long epic game on vanilla CIV3, I reinstalled both CIV3 and PTW. It worked. It has still crashed in 1 start attempt out of 2, but the second time went well.