Old April 2, 2003, 13:05   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 16:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another stupid question
Ok, I know that the dominant race on a planet determines the makeup of the Colony ships.

I know how to figure out what planets would best suit the different makes of races IN those colony ships.

Last night, I am playing as the bugs, have found some Magnate, and have concurred some of the gas bags. (forgetting names).

The Magnates like what is for the bugs a yellow two planet, the Gas bags like all those accursed Gas Giants my starting location has cursed me with.

On the same turn, a Magnate, a Gas Bag, and 2 Bug Colony ships are all completed. These all need very different planets.

How can I, or plain CAN I, look up the race inside those ships, like you can with ground forces? Will the 'send colony ship' option intelligently send the ships from the nearest mobilization center for me, with the proper race going to the proper planet, or will I end up with the Bugs on the Gas Giant and the Gas Bags on that Low G rock perfect for my bugs?

If we can not, I will be making a design for each race to name the Colony ships "Gas Bag" "Bugs" and such so I CAN tell the difference in the future.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2003, 16:21   #2
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 17:58
Re: Another stupid question
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
How can I, or plain CAN I, look up the race inside those ships, like you can with ground forces?
As far as I know, you cannot.

Quote:
Will the 'send colony ship' option intelligently send the ships from the nearest mobilization center for me....
Yes

Quote:
...with the proper race going to the proper planet...
No

Quote:
... or will I end up with the Bugs on the Gas Giant and the Gas Bags on that Low G rock perfect for my bugs?
Yes (well small random chance everyone goes where they should)

Quote:
If we can not, I will be making a design for each race to name the Colony ships "Gas Bag" "Bugs" and such so I CAN tell the difference in the future.
That is what I do.
Also do not use 'send colony' as this will auto-create colony TF's which you will have to intercept and redirect.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2003, 18:24   #3
Vince278
King

Local Time: 22:58
I am also getting troops from the dominate race of a planet instead of exclusively my own race when I build them at the planet. That seems to often put said troops in the awkward position of invading worlds belonging to their own race. Not seeing any benefits or problems due to that yet. That doesn't seem right unless the other race is fully assimilated into my culture which should take generations.
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2003, 18:39   #4
Mithyk
Settler

Local Time: 14:58
Slave soldiers and soldiers earning their citizenship are a longstanding tradition.

The advantage of this is that it means the invading soldiers generally work better on that terrain (eg, Imsaes marines function better fighting in gas giant atmospheres, Trilarians perform better fighting in aquatic environments, humanoids fight better on surface environments, klackons better in subsurface environments). That means that when you invade that Imsaes gas giant, it's really handy to have some Imsaes marines with you - they'll massively outperform your human or klackon marines in that environment.
Mithyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2003, 19:01   #5
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

When playing as the Nommo (as I currently am) this is a good thing. The Nommo are the worse solders in the game. You always want to have your ground toops be from another species.
Old April 7, 2003, 05:12   #6
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 22:58
And another thing to watch is gravitation. Eoladi troops WILL beat anyone on a extreme gravity planet.
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2003, 08:59   #7
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I've recently also gotten SPIES from different species. Could be that my empire likely has more Eoladi in it than Klackon now due to all those accursed red giants in my immediate surroundings. Plus, the Eoladi empire was absorbed into my own, working on one of the robots and the Humans now...

That is also a good thing, though. Klackon spies are not very good, generally. 2 cloak, 1 dagger, 9 luck anyone? Perhaps I can eventually get some Human spies...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 7, 2003, 10:19   #8
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

How can you tell the species of your spies? Is that down with the cloak, dagger, luck etc.?
Old April 7, 2003, 10:46   #9
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

They show the portrait of the Eoladi, and their C,D, and Luck are WAY higher than possibly with Klackons: 9C, 5D, 30L (around there anyway). Their Loyalty may be lower, Ill check. Ill even post a sav later when I get back home to my comp...(Im away on business for at least a week. Don't have moo on the laptop, though)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 8, 2003, 11:06   #10
Lord of the Isles
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:58
Re: Another stupid question
Quote:
(UnOrthOdOx, I expect you know this already but am spelling it out for others)

AFAIK, that's the only way to be sure you get your colonists to a sensible planet. Design a number of colony ships, one for each species in your empire, and micromanage the build queues. That is: go to each planet's build queue, make sure Etherian planets only build "Col Etherian", Humanoids only build "Col Humanoid" and so on. When you've done that, immediately obsolete all the Colony ship designs in the Shipyards (until the next time you need them when repeat the process).

As for telling which planets suit which race: use the species filters in the Planets menu to sort all known planets by, e.g., fertility for Harvester. This doesn't help for Magnate races, since they cannot be selected in the filter, but a fix for that is promised in one of the patches.