SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Blessed be the Peacemakers
“Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.”
-Matthew 5: Verse 9

The Confederate Flag flew unfettered in the fading sunlight, floating in a tired victory at the top of the pole.

They almost always had, since the secession at least. His Virginia cotton fields sent a gentle breeze up his whitewashed porch, the pleasant sound of Laborers in the distance, earning their wages at the feet of King Cotton. He missed the gentle wilds of Tennessee, but he could hardly help the Confederate government from his home state.

Time had abolished slavery; everyone knew that it would in the end. In the modern age of 1947 no one could conceive of such things as Slave auctions or unpaid laborers. Even the confederacy had let the system go to seed, but the States had not seen fit to do anything else with the laborers it had freed, and so they remained, unchanged but for pittances bestowed upon them now by their masters, though the name master would only be taken by the most bold.

He took a long sip from his Iced Tea. It’s brown dusty flavor washing down his throat. The breeze tossed the fading sunlight across the fields. Life felt spread out before him, he felt possessed of a feeling of freedom, and it gave him great satisfaction to believe this. He was the lord of his domain, master of this small fiefdom.

Silently his wife tiptoed gingerly to his side, placing the paper upon his lap. She appreciated his love of current events, which was not uncommon in Secretaries of State, and a grin shadowed her face as she let the paper slip onto his trousers. A half expressed grin of his own making replied to it as he pulled the paper to his eyes, his hands fumbling at his newly acquired glasses with the other hand.

“Thank you Rose,” he almost whispered, though she heard and turned to smile back again.

“You’re welcome Judge.”

The use of his nickname cracked a grin across his wrinkled face. His wife finished her smile and trotted back inside. He finally pulled his glasses on, bringing his eyes to bear on the ink soaked pages.

The Kaiser had finally united the Austrians with their homeland; the striking headline caused little surprise to its reader. Kaiser Wilhelm the Third, with the help of Chancellor Hitler, had been cajoling the Austrians for months to finally unite Germany, As though the Reich wasn’t great enough as it stood. Bismarck’s child sat on the opposite side of the Atlantic, towering above the French Republic and the Tsar. His heart went out to the Austrians, in a way, they were much akin to the Confederacy; estranged from their motherland, and warped from the role that motherland would have them play.

The United States towered to the North of the Confederacy, a benign giant watching it’s smaller cousin to the South. The Yanks never took them seriously. When Zimmerman had sent notice to them during the Great war, a deal to invade the northerners in the event of war, the British had seen fit to tell the Americans, who laughed and shrugged it off, magnanimously offering the Southerners leniency for presuming to receive such a note. But it wouldn’t have mattered anyway; the Americans had never gone to war. The Northerners had spent the past years wallowing in ease and pleasure, hatred and distaste seeped across the border with the immigrants who fled the South for the plentiful jobs of the north, especially as they fled the Dust Bowl, which had once consumed much of the Confederacy. The Union had almost invariably boomed. The Confederacy limped along, in a race it would never win.

The paper drooped to the floor as the workers marched cheerfully to their homes, once called slave’s quarters, on the plantation. But they were paid now, the guilt slowly dripped from his soul.

“Cordell?” a voice beckoned from inside, the southern drawl irresistible. Mr. Hull stood to his full stature and lumbered calmly indoors. Throwing his eyes behind him as the laborers marched, trudging into their homes.

-

“The Senate meets in a week, Mr. Hull. They will likely want to have some footing on this before they have to vote on anything.”

“Foreign affairs, sir, are rarely the business of the Senate.”

“No, pahhaps they are not, sir. But ah sweah to you that the building and maintenance of ahhmd forces is.”

Cordell could only grin determinedly when Strom threw such fits. Thurman would likely have his way in the end, he almost always did. That fact did not bar the Secretary of State from toying at the idea of changing his mind, impossible a crusade though it may be.

“I assure you, that things are not so grave yet.”

“When they go to war, and we fahnd ouhselves caught between them, I swear you shall rescind that.”

“When they do,” Cordell smiled once more at the futility of it all, “I will.”
-

Havana is a lovely town, to even the most critical eye. It was at this scenic location, at a hotel designed to be scenic, sitting over their astoundingly tropical drinks that the two men sat, laid back in a manner that would not suggest importance.

“Cordell, my friend. It is very good of the Confederacy to mediate this business, but we must ask why it’s any of the business of the Southern States.”

Cordell smiled benignly back, hoping to assume an air of calmness and nonchalance. “Edward, The Confederacy has interests in the region. We would like to see the Krauts kicked out of Haiti as well as you, but we are unprepared to die over it.”

If the Americans succeeded in appearing calm and laid back the recently arrived German failed miserably. Joachim von Ribbentrop was never known for his especially kind manner. He wore a German helmet, which he poised to remove at the table; the proud German flags on the car outside marked it as his own.

“Herr Ribbentrop!” Cordell stood, reaching a hand to shake the German’s. A salute responded and Cordell was left drawing his hand awkwardly back.

Edward Stettinius had learned from the southerner’s mistake and saluted the German, who returned the salute curtly, before sitting down at the seat, his back a brisk line with the chair.

“I have heard that there is to be negotiation here,” he had a strong accent, though it was apparent that he had mastered the language, Cordell suspected that he maintained the accent as a matter of pride, not lowering himself far from his own German tongue, “The Reich does not wish to negotiate much, we wish to govern Haiti.”

“That is in direct violation of Monroe doctrine, Herr Hitler knows that, as does the Kaiser. The United States refuses to allow a European power to bully them.”

“There are no bullies here, we take what we deserve, and you keep what you have.”

“There is a bully here, the Caribbean is not a European plaything.”

“No, an American plaything I presume?”

A sudden panic washed over Cordell, he wondered if he would be able to control the meeting at all. Just as suddenly coolness swept over him, of course he could keep control, he was Cordell Hull, a peacemaker if ever there was one.

“Gentlemen,” his clear, southern voice cut through the chaos, brought attention to him, “We are not here to fight the first battle of a war, we are here to avert that conflict.”

Ribbentrop glared up at him, “We are here to avert conflict,” It sounded as though he was testing the words in his mouth. Assessing them to be good he nodded sagely, “We are here to ensure that the Americans do not feel themselves worthy of the Fatherland’s armies attentions.”

He lifted his hand to Edward, who quickly cooled his quite apparent desire to speak up at the outrage that the German had just called.

It would be a long meeting.

-

“I am not a young man.”

“I know that Cordell, thank you for moderating these talks.”

“I want to retire soon.”

“Yes Cordell,” With youthful impudence, a feat for a man of Forty-Six, Edward Stettinius rolled his eyes at his counterpart, “For all your supposed sickness, you handle yourself quite well around the Germans.”

Cordell sighed, brushing his white hair to the side, “You think I dare appear weak before them? I would be terrified to, and I’m not the one threatening them with war.”

Stettinius bit his lip, and, slowly summoning a look of determination, replied.

“You think it’s not a just cause? Do you think the people of Haiti really want to follow the Kaiser?”

“Do you think they want to follow Roosevelt?”
A pause.

“No, I suppose not. But…”

“But you need Haiti, if you want to protect that Canal of yours.”

“Of ours, Cordell. We own it jointly with the Confederacy.”

Cordell snorted, “We never use it. Why should we?”

“So you’re saying that you want the Germans playing at Empires again? Don’t you remember Cuba?”

Cuba had seen a bloody revolution against Spain, the dissonance of the Revolution had kept the Confederate navy out of the Caribbean for months until they annexed the territory outright, with Union backing.

“All worked out here,” he stiffened while saying this.

“Yes, but wasn’t it a bother?”

Cordell sighed, “It was.” Memories of late night whispered Spanish floated to the top.

“Besides, you remember how you said you feared seeming weak? We’re stuck in the same situation on a national scale. What would the Kaiser or the Chancellor think if we let them barge in without a fight?”

“I’m retiring soon Edward, I want to be remembered as a peacekeeper.”

“You will always be remembered as a peacekeeper,” his exasperated tone was all he had left for sympathy.

“For what? Negotiating with Mexican bandits? Talking the Spanish out of a war over Cuba? I had nothing really to work with. If I had been granted the affairs of a superpower, like you, I could have been remembered. I doubt I will be remembered here.”

“The Confederacy is a plenty powerful nation.”

A wise grimace spread across his face as his down turned eyes pulled ever so slightly towards Edward. “Do they really believe that up north?”

Edward returned the smile with a shrug, “It was worth a shot.”

“No, it wasn’t. The South has virtually no power; we couldn’t beat the Mexicans if it came down to the line. We are overshadowed by the Union, whenever anyone thinks of America they think of you. The Confederacy is a great place to live, very noble and lovely. We have virtually no army. Our navy hasn’t been a consideration since the Great War. No, there is no power. Never remind a southerner of that if you value his friendship. We are proud of our independence, we are proud of our culture. We have nothing else to be proud of.”

“A lot like….”

“The Austrians,” Cordell cut him off.

“Do you really fear an anschluss in America?”

“I don’t know. I am a peacemaker, not a fool, I would not grant the possibility amnesty.”

“You shouldn’t have anything to fear.”

“I am not a fool, to take your word.”
-

“Deutschland uber alles,” A smile as he seated himself.

“Herr Ribbentrop, you do love your fatherland,” Cordell smiled, he likewise loved his nation, small and weak though it may be.

“Ja, I see these other nations, I speak their languages, I am the Chancellor’s strong right arm when it comes to other nations, but nothing in another nation compares to the glory of my fatherland.” The smile was wider than usual now.

“How do you like Cuba?”

“It is,” he looked around him, like a student hoping to cheat on a quiz by finding some hidden answer on the wall, “Nice. Yes, the Caribbean is a nice place to have holdings, is it not?”

“You could rally no dissent from my countrymen.” It was an open phrase, too open, he realized too late.

“Ahhhh… but could I rally support?”

Cordell almost bit his tongue for it’s devilish work.

“President Thurman didn’t send me here to pick sides.”

“No? I have heard, that President Thurman doesn’t quite like the meeting at all.”

It was true, Cordell had worked uncharacteristically single-mindedly for this meeting, seeing it as too precious an opportunity to let go. Thurman had likely requested that the states begin instituting drafts already.

“President Thurman approves of the meeting.”

A smile crossed the German’s face, “It says so on paper.”

Silence filled the room, Ribbentrop spoke again.

“But what do you feel? Who is righteous here?”

“Myself? Personally I am disappointed that the nations involved feel it must come to blows. If there were a war, I would resign in shame. If there was a war, I would not have to pick sides.”

“Germany can be a very generous ally.”

Cordell grinned as he spoke, “The Turks would not agree.”

Ribbentrop paused. The Turks had stood by Germany’s side as victors in the Great War; they had won nothing and lost their empire despite victory. Germany had been one of the first nations to seize the land, which they left.

“The Turks were weak. Germany rewards her strong allies.”

“Austria?”

A frustrated silence settled over the room. Cordell realized he had been too open, pushed too hard against Ribbentrop and insulted him.

“If war comes. You will not have to pick sides.” With this he stood and left Cordell, who knew himself old enough to know better than to utter the faux pas he had made, staring in his wake.

-

“You could make concessions.” Cordell suggested quietly, ashamed at his failure to negotiate a truce yet.

Edward looked at him oddly, “Are you being serious?”

“I,” Cordell sighed, “Have been a fool, I have made mistakes here. I wish to rectify this.” Cordell stared into the distance, confused, aimless.

Edward smiled at his perplexed counterpart, reaching out a hand to grasp his shoulder conciliatorily.

“If there is war. America will stand united.”

Cordell sighed, “Which is what I’m afraid of. Which is what my countrymen are afraid of.

“I don’t mean like that Hull, come on.”

“No, you don’t. Is that how Roosevelt would say it though?”

“Franklin is a kinder man than you give him credit for.”

“Yes, I am quite sure, and Lincoln was quite the futile hero you imagine him as well.”

“We don’t see eye to eye.”

“We never did, our nations never did. That is why there are two nations rather than one.”

“There is no need for your fears. If you must fear anyone, fear Ribbentrop and Wilhelm.”

“The Kaiser is an ocean away, Franklin is almost next door.”

“We aren’t here in Havana to discuss this,” Edward reminded him.

“No, and I don’t see why you can’t just let the Krauts have Haiti.”

“You said earlier that the Germans were an ocean away,” smoothly he smiled, “The Union would like them to stay that way.”

“Your way they won’t. Your way, they will assuredly come here.”

“Our way, they shall lose,” He shifted his seat, uncomfortable, “You underestimate the Union.”

Cordell sighed. He forgot the words looking into the distance.

“I have always wanted to make peace. Do you understand that? I do not care if I go down an unsung hero, I want to make peace rule. Do you understand how Ribbentrop feels? He would go to war over honor. You would go to war over land. I say neither. Peace is more important. Do you understand where I am coming from?

“Let me explain this. Haiti doesn’t matter. Not to Ribbentrop, not to Wilhelm, not even to the Chancellor, land and power crazed though he may be. What they are willing to fight over is that the Union said no to them. You denied them Haiti. The Germans are a proud breed, Edward, never underestimate their pride.”

“If they care so little about Haiti, then why so… bellicose?”

“Herr Ribbentrop would say, if they care so little about honor why them? Do you understand?”

“No,” Edward sighed, “I don’t understand it at all anymore. The business of America is business, not war. I wish, with all my heart, that I could leave, go back to Chicago, and start over. There are days when I love this job; this is not one of them. Today I feel like the first casualty of the looming war.”

Cordell smiled weakly, “The diplomats are the front line, in many ways.”

“You love this, don’t you? Even when you lose?” Edward looked accusingly at him.

“Perhaps….” Cordell looked off again, “Perhaps I do.”

-

“What exactly does Haiti have to offer your nation Ribbentrop?” Edward asked, his hair unkempt, fitting the ungodly hour the darkness of the room made apparent.

“Herr Stettinius,” a deep breath forewarned of a rambling explanation, which was memorized, not felt, “The German Fatherland needs colonies. The Economic value of such establishments has been proved and proved again-”

“The island which you wish to colonize, Haiti, you are aware that it has a history of revolution against European colonizers. For instance, a revolt by Touissant L'Overture ejected the French from the Western Hemisphere.”

Ribbentrop frowned at the prospect; “There will be no slaves in German Haiti.”

“I am assured,” the look in Edward’s eyes made it clear he wasn’t, as did his tone. Cordell wondered if the German would pick up on the subtleties.

Ribbentrop proved his cunning, “Mr. Stettinius, regardless of whether there are or are not plans to enslave the population of the island, what concern of the United States is it. You have proved that you are incapable of stopping slavery. If your issues are with slavery, then you would best resolve your conflict with our esteemed moderator.”

Cordell shot up with a speed painful to such an old man, “Good God man, what accusations do you make? There are no slaves in the Confederacy.”

“I for one,” the German spoke with a sneer, “Have been to the Confederacy Mr. Hull. You may blind your neighbors with your imagined egalitarianism, but I have seen the people of the South, not the rulers, Cordell, the people. The laborers of the field, not those who watch with tea in one hand and a whip in the other.”

“Herr!” Cordell shouted, scandalized.

“Es ist die Wahrheit,” He turned his head from the Americans, leaving them to squabble as he had prepared.

Edward looked with a haughty sneer at Cordell, but turned to Ribbentrop, “I concede that there are no angels in this room, but I ask you this. To choose now, will there be war between our nations, or will the Kaiser stop the ships on their way to Haiti.”

Glaring back at the Americans Joachim spat, “Let there be war.”

“May the better angels of your nature force a reconsideration,” Cordell wished.

“It is not likely. Deutschland Uber Alles.” Ribbentrop turned on his heel and left the room.

“God Save America.” Edward almost collapsed at his chair.

-

Last edited by SKILORD; May 13, 2003 at 15:31.
Old April 4, 2003, 17:14   #2
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well I think that's the best of your stories that I've read. You're playing to your strengths throughout.
Old April 4, 2003, 17:38   #3
SKILORD
King

The Last Bit
Because I felt a need to strengthen my characters I added more, The new version resolves the conflict more smoothly, and on all levels, wheras the former version left many things undone the new version resolves all the tidbits of worry brought up in the story. I personally like this version, and It will be the one that is now done. It is not so drastically changed as to need resubmission to the contest, but it is vastly improved and better, even with the few changes I;ve introduced.

Without furthur adu, the end of the story:

-

“Perhaps you could take part of the island.”

Ribbentrop smiled back at the Confederate, shaking his head.

“War has come my friend, why try to stop it?”

“Because,” Cordell spoke with force, pushing the younger man, “There is no point. Men will die; the island will be devastated either way. Do the Germans really want to command a ruined island?”

“Germany can, do you understand? Have you Americans so long been separated from power that you may no longer see it? Germany has the power to rebuild the island as we rebuilt Eastern Poland and the other bounties of past wars.”

“Bounties? You can speak of Bounties of the Great War? What did that land cost? Millions of lives? How can you exchange them?”

“The Americans are unable to stand against the Armee. They are not the French, we have no fear.”

“The Yanks are certainty not the French. They can offer far more men than the French ever could and the Generals of the North are not to be scoffed, Pershing and Marshall may be old, but they are certainly able to lead the men against your like.”

“They are not Lee.”

“You certainly blow hot and cold don’t you? Your nation is brilliant at coercion, isn’t it? Bismarck began a brilliant tradition of bullying other nations into alliances”

“You know that Confederate commanders are better. Eisenhower, Macarthur. The list goes on. Imagine them coupled with Rommel for a campaign in the Southwest.”

“Isn’t Erwin busy in the Sudan? Putting down the revolutionaries?”

“Bah, Africa is of little concern, Rommel can far better serve in America.”

“War will not touch this side of the Atlantic.”

“You poor confederate. You fool. The Reich will crush the Americans, why will you not stand with us?”

“There will be no war.”

-

“Is it possible that we may now compromise?” Cordell looked up at the Yank.

“The Reich will not, you know that.”

“Perhaps they shall, imagine if we let the Haitians retain their independence.”

Edward pulled himself up, intrigued, “To what degree?”

“Perhaps if you have a say in their rule. Do you remember the Areas of influence in China before the Japs took it over?”

“I’m familiar with the idea, but would the Germans accept that.”

“The Good Herr wishes to divide the States again, this is, he knows, the only path to victory in this hemisphere. If we present a united front he will falter in his pigheaded persistence enough to compromise, at least this much.”

“I thought the South was weak,” Edward smiled lopsidedly at the irony.

“At this particular time strength doesn’t matter, only that he perceives us as such.”

“I hope he does.”

“I promise you, he does. He will falter in the face of union.”

“I thought you feared union.” Stettinius almost laughed.

“I hold peace more dear.”

-

“A protectorate?”

“Yes, protectorate, a shared protectorate. You and the Union share the island in a protectorate.”

“Germany does not want to share….”

Edward spoke up, his eyes pleading, “And America does not wish to go to war. We will share, if there is any war, there will be no question in the word’s eyes who started it.”

Ribbentrop sat back. The Americans could rally Europe against Germany. A return of the union, which had once bound Russia, France and Britain, could very well disseat the very German Empire the defeat of that same union had made possible. He sighed. There was no question that he had very little choice.

“We will do so. Are you sure your government approves?”

“Franklin is composing an addendum to the doctrine to allow this. America approves.”
Another mildly frustrated sigh escaped his lips. He drooped his eyes, feeling somehow outwitted.

Edward reached a conciliatory hand to him.

“Gott segnt Deutschland”

“Gott segnt Amerika,” he smiled back, almost trusting.

-

“Time has separated our nations. But, paradoxically, we will grow together in time. I assure you this, my friends. The Union is no more, the Confederacy no more. We are united once more, one nation, under god, Indivisible. And it is united that we shall now face the world. Lincoln and Davis’s victories both realized in the joining of their nations.”
- Excerpt from John F. Kennedy’s ‘Unification speech’

Last edited by SKILORD; May 13, 2003 at 15:39.
Old April 4, 2003, 19:08   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 17:08
I agree with L&G here. Very nice piece of writing. Indeed, one of the best. Deserves the highest of recognition.

* Standing ovations ensue *
Spore page
Old April 4, 2003, 23:06   #5
Sheep
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesNationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:08
YEAH!
Old April 4, 2003, 23:44   #6
SKILORD
King

This story, which it took a week of work to write, which stands Eight pages long if copied to worpad, has entered Story Contest 17 with a second from Vovanism.

Please see it in your heart to vote for it when the time comes.
Old April 5, 2003, 00:17   #7
Sheep
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesNationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:08
I'll vote for the first time in history.
Old April 5, 2003, 03:41   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 18:08
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Hey I can't vote, but I want this story to win, it Rox0rz. I faxed it to Goober out in Arizona via his mom. She says that he misses us guys (in Wisconsin, Goober's mom hates the internet crowd for some reason, but she refuses to refer to this crowd as anything but "those damn stories" I'm kinda surprised she let me fax it, but I guess she thought it was a letter or something.) and that he's glad we sugared up that a-hole who nearly killed him's gas tank.
Old April 5, 2003, 10:08   #9
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Blast Ive been sitting here for ages now trying to think how best to sum up my thoughts on this piece.

Its very good more power to your elbow SKILORD.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old April 5, 2003, 14:34   #10
SKILORD
King

Thanks Chrisus, Thanx Mark.
Old April 5, 2003, 17:09   #11
SKILORD
King

I have some interesting Ideas about Dwight Eisenhower and this particular universe. Woulld any of you be interested in reading a few other stories based in this particular diversion from common History?

There are actually quite a few more things I would be interested in doing, and since this is likely all that the Literary Magazine (A yearly publication at my school which I was asked to submit something to, and in which Peacemakers will appear) will ever see It is up to you, the Apolyton Crowd, to determine if anything else along the line of the Peacemakers' universe is worth going after.

I think they will take about 2 weeks each to write and will be posted in 1 post edited form, like this one, rather than the form of Legacy and my other past works.

A few other Stories could be (This list is to help me keep track):

King and Country The Story of Erwin Rommel

In His Defense Gen. MacArthur and Lt. Eisenhower in Mexico

God Save the Queen Winston Churchill

Indivisible The Anschluss

Kingfish Huey Long

Banner The Cuban Revolution

These stories are each to stand alone. They may have lmention in each other ('Dealing with Mexican Bandits?', and the overveiw of the Cuban Crisis are good examples here) but they will be independent of each other, thus not a series, but rather a set of interesting paralell stories.

Last edited by SKILORD; April 5, 2003 at 18:43.
Old April 6, 2003, 00:24   #12
Prince Jason
Warlord

Local Time: 15:08
All i can say is: My God.

this has been the most enjoyable story I have ever read - anywhere. Good job Skilord.

BTW, I would like to see Banner and In His Defense
Old April 6, 2003, 00:50   #13
SKILORD
King

If anyof you have reccomendations (I will not do a story on the actual Civil War paralell) for other stories set in this particular timeline please reccomend them.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:20   #14
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Hey, SKI, I, for one, would definitely be glad if you write something else based on the same historical period. It seems you can deal with that particular time quite well, and in fact, I liked this story much more than, say the two viking tales you wrote simultaneously a while back. Crusader's legacy is still my favourite, though.

Aaany way. Back to the topic: from that little list of yours, Banner, and God save the Queen sound good.
Spore page
Old April 6, 2003, 05:28   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Those tales of which you speak all sound fascinating, and I think you are approaching your ideas in a well thought out way. One word of caution I would offer is try to keep them focussed although interconnected like you say, remember how Manifest Destiny and its precursor got you bogged down and blocked up. IMHO you write best when focussed on one main story, as I said though SKILORD more power to your elbow you are amongst the best we have here and we want you to keep writing for us.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old April 6, 2003, 09:48   #16
Methril
Never Ending StoriesNationStates
Prince

As I said in CFC, terrific story!
Old April 6, 2003, 15:07   #17
SKILORD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Those tales of which you speak all sound fascinating, and I think you are approaching your ideas in a well thought out way. One word of caution I would offer is try to keep them focussed although interconnected like you say
I know I fear this myself. It occured to me last night that I would have to work to make each a good piece of work on it's own.
Quote:
, remember how Manifest Destiny and its precursor got you bogged down and blocked up. IMHO you write best when focussed on one main story, as I said though SKILORD more power to your elbow you are amongst the best we have here and we want you to keep writing for us.
Yeah, I probably do write better if I do one at a time. I'm gonna have Legacy doing spurts and lags while I work on these stories.

Another idea for a Counterfactual came to me while talking with Jason the King (Prince Jason) last night. But that one is gonna wait a while. (Don't want you stealing my secrets, can't reveal it here)

Can I quote you on the 'you are amongst the best' bit?

Quote:
Crusader's legacy is still my favourite, though.
You know, It's awaiting feedback for the 'Godless' chapter even as we speak.

Quote:
: from that little list of yours, Banner, and God save the Queen sound good.
Quote:
BTW, I would like to see Banner and In His Defense
Personally I'm looking forward to writing King and Country and Indivisible, I've got some really good ideas for those. In his Defense will be good. God save the Queen is going to have to wait, not for the reasons some others do (Most I lack historic figurews to transpose to this timeline) but rather because I need to save the best for last.

Banner will require a lot of research (Most will, but this one more than most, as I have little information now)

Anyway..... be patient. These aren't quick nonsence (Like Frostbite or Land of the Brave) these need a great deal of research and editing.
Old April 15, 2003, 15:55   #18
SKILORD
King

Well, It bears noting that April is Confederate History month, wish I could say that inspired me to write this, but I actually just recently discovered this. The very fact that I know this puts me in suspicion for membership to any number of distasteful organizations and put me up for running as Redneck of the month, but you don't know me.

I'm from the Virgin Islands, My parents are from California and Wisconsin, my ancestors were Yankees, Yankees and Poles, and I still am a Yankee at least, a Yank with Polish features. If I were asked to choose alleigance I would have to be a Unionist, though I find the Confederacy a very romantic ideal, as Cordell does in my story, and as my opening passage shows.

Another interesting quote that I found was this, which fits..... well it'll be in Indivisible

"In the Moment of it's death the Confederacy entered upon it's immortality"
-Robert Penn Warren
Old April 20, 2003, 02:26   #19
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:08
Have you ever read stuff by Harry Turtledove? He has a whole series about the Confederate States of America in an alternate history of the world. I've yet to read those particular novels (I've read his World War stuff), but this story just made me think of that. In any case, I've always found it more interesting to read stories here that aren't from the perspective of the person dominating the game. Good job.
Old April 21, 2003, 13:31   #20
SKILORD
King

Actually I wrote this partially because of Turtledove's books, I find them such an awful projection of the Alternate america that this is very much a response to them. It may have, at one point, seemed interesting to paralell the Confederacy's and Union's relations to the Franco-German relations of the time, but it stopped being interesting after American Front and the series bores the hell outta me at this point.

Thnx Steam.
Old May 4, 2003, 11:12   #21
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Skilord, you've really done it now. I'd really, really like to kill you because you wrote this great story, and I didn't.

Congrats, old chap.
Old May 4, 2003, 12:20   #22
SKILORD
King

thnx HG/
Old May 13, 2003, 15:44   #23
SKILORD
King

There is a new version.

It now takes up 2 whole posts and better resolves all the assorted conflicts. It is now worthy of your praise, wheras it may have faltered before, it stands strong now, there is an introduction to the new version in the second post.

I'm gonna go write a chapter for Legacy right now, and I fear that I shall never write the sequels because I am running low on time and the world of Peacemakers has lost it's newness in the months of work I have devoted to these 9 pages.

I'm not done with alternate history, or writing for that matter, so fear not for that my freinds, but I do beleive that this particular world has reached a point of sanctity inmy mind that renders it unalterable. Do you understand what I mean?
Old May 13, 2003, 21:20   #24
Paulypav
Warlord

This is an excellent piece of writing, and in my mind the best of yours that I have read. I'm only reading through this for the first time so I did not see the version previous to the edits you have made, but this is still an incredible piece of writing. I second the thoughts of many of the others in wanting to see some of your ideas related to these topics.

Personally, I am a big fan of the Turtledove novels, although I agree that they were far better in the beginning and have definitely ground down after the Great War. I'm thinking that they may gain momentum again with what I believe is the coming of another conflict.

Back to the original topic. In my mind, this piece of literature is indicative of great potential in writing alternate history.

Stories like yours make me excited to post stories of my own and intimidated at the same time. I don't have time to do much writing now , but I hope to make contributions in the future.
Old May 13, 2003, 22:23   #25
SKILORD
King

Thanks man.

Never be intimidated, never a shame to mess up when you're startin up. My first stories weren't really good, but ask anyone here, practice makes perfect. I'm sure that we weren't (all) born knowing how to write really reall ridiculously well.
Old May 13, 2003, 22:35   #26
Paulypav
Warlord

I'll do my best not to be intimidated. Right now its a matter of having the time to write anything, although I do have a few thoughts bouncing around my head.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:56   #27
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Just reread the whole thing and I loved every bit of it

More power to your elbow my good man.
Old June 15, 2003, 10:24   #28
SKILORD
King

The Contest has begun!

So... those of you who can vote.... and wanna help me win a contest..... please?
Old July 4, 2003, 18:24   #29
vovan
Emperor

Well, since Lazarus' story has been bnumped up, I think it is only fair to bring up the other two participants of the runoffs.
Spore page