Old April 4, 2003, 22:37   #1
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 18:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Game Types
What type of games does everyone here like on-line? I noticed at Gamespy, nobody seems to play turn-based because it takes too long.

Both games I've been successful in having launched were simultaneous. The first one was very good until it canceled with an Out Of Synch error in the Middle Ages. I wasn't involed in any land fighting though.

The second game was pretty lame after fighting broke out on first contact with another player. There were all sorts of movement glitches, the worst of which was when I would hit a key after the active unit changed and the screen would stutter and move the unit that had been previously highlighted. The slight lag was annoying enough when doing simult, but outright errors made for a miserable experience. BTW, this game cancelled from OOS error in the middle of the ancient era.

Do these (movement) errors vary by individual depending on the connection, or does everyone get the same poor programming?

How do you get a better on-line game? No warfare? Defensive positioning? Longer turns? Pre-arranged turn based sessions?

Does turnless have the same problems?