Old April 5, 2003, 00:21   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 15:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help, I can't rebase my aircraft to carriers!
Everything was working fine for part of one game, but then I couldn't rebase the planes to carriers. I used a downloaded editor to move the planes to those tiles, but it was a HUGE pain. I soon quit that game. I'm in a different game now, and I have the same problem. Is there any solution.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old April 5, 2003, 00:30   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 20:09
Maybe they're all loaded. I know, it's a c*** answer, but could be.
Old April 5, 2003, 12:31   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:09
john, are your carriers at port or at sea? Also, have you NOT had problems with carriers before?

I have never rebased to carriers when they were in a city/port. Don't think you can.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 5, 2003, 12:53   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Do you have a save?
Old April 5, 2003, 15:36   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 15:09
They're at sea, but it doesn't work. The problem is, I can't get the sav to you. The computer I have the game on has no internet. I could burn it onto a CD and put it on the old comp with the internet and send it here, but my old comp won't read burned CDs right now. Very frusturating.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old April 5, 2003, 16:31   #6
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 23:09
u can put the save file onto a floppy, i don't think it's that big.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old April 5, 2003, 17:24   #7
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:09
well, if there's a logical explination for this you may have unwittingly solved one of my greatest dilemas:

How to not base bombers on ships. (would make a much more realistic mod)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 5, 2003, 17:24   #8
pedrojedi
Prince

If it's PTW, it's not big... However, vanilla Civ3 save files are pretty big... it would need 3-4 floppys to save.
Old April 5, 2003, 17:32   #9
Dida
Prince

I checked my save files, they are about 200k average.
As for not basing bombers off carrier, that will make bombers useless and the already weak air units even weaker.
As with PTW, I think you can even base stealth bomber on carriers. Man, I just can't picture a B-2 taking off and landing on USS Kitty Hawk, can you?

Old April 6, 2003, 01:25   #10
pedrojedi
Prince

I can picture anything. After all, that's what they call "imagination". It's not real, but you can imagine it anyway.
Old April 6, 2003, 03:07   #11
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
I checked my save files, they are about 200k average.
As for not basing bombers off carrier, that will make bombers useless and the already weak air units even weaker.
As with PTW, I think you can even base stealth bomber on carriers. Man, I just can't picture a B-2 taking off and landing on USS Kitty Hawk, can you?
That's precisely why I want to mod it. PTW gives you unlitmited range for aircraft (unlike vanilla Civ3) so you can have bombers a range of 12 and Stealth bombers 16 but without the ability to base themselves on carriers. To compensate, Fighters/Jet Fighters and Stealth Fighters would get lethal land and sea.

Someone told me to flag the bomber as a tactical missile but giving it air bombard or something...I'm gonna try. Even if it works, I'd like to see the AI use it correctly, I modded a ship-based cruise missile but the AI only launches it from cities.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 6, 2003, 03:35   #12
Dida
Prince

I can live with bombers based on carrier but not stealth bombers.
I made a B-52 unit, which has range 16 and can attack twice in one turn. Stealth Bomber has range 24, but no blitz. Neither B-52 or B-2 can be based on carriers.

Old April 8, 2003, 21:52   #13
SpydraXxX
Chieftain

How r u getting that range for bombers? I've wanted to get about the same, a bit more realistic I think, but I can't range higher that 8? I have Civ3 1.29v.

I also agree that no bombers should be on carriers, you should have range with them, but not on a carrier. I mean, come on... To get a stratofortress onto a carrier would be impossible, let alone the B-2.. I like it to be as close to real as possible, I went through and renamed most of the forces to what they are generally trying to be, ex. my carriers are USS Saratoga, so on... I also tried to be as accurate as possible with a/d also...

Makes good wars...
Old April 8, 2003, 22:17   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:09
Quote:
Originally posted by SpydraXxX
How r u getting that range for bombers? I've wanted to get about the same, a bit more realistic I think, but I can't range higher that 8? I have Civ3 1.29v. ...
PTW required.

Also, a bomber (B-17 graphic) could also represent a number of attack/bomber aircraft that are carrier based. After all, the "B-17" is representing ALL bombers pre-stealth. BTW, the B-2 stealth bomber is much SMALLER than a B-52!
Old April 8, 2003, 22:18   #15
Master Zen
Deity

SpydraXxX:

you'll have to get PTW if you want unlimited range for aircraft....

Old April 9, 2003, 08:41   #16
SpydraXxX
Chieftain

PTW is?

I know the B-2 is actually smaller than the B-52,
the B-52's wingspan is 185ft. while the B-2 has a 172ft wingspan. Not a really big difference.
And the average flight deck is 1,092ft long and 252ft. wide. Now take from that the towers and other planes on deck and you don't have enough room for either bomber, also, they have to hit a catch cord, and stop in about 1.5 sec. also in less than 500ft, because planes could be using the other side for take off. Could you see a bomber tring to land and miss the cord, and have to generate enough thrust to take off again in a blink?
And how would you get it up in the first place? You would sling your aircraft straight into the ocean.
I would have to say, you can't land, or lauch them bombers on or from a carrier.
Old April 9, 2003, 09:33   #17
Daz
Prince

Play the World: multiplayer edition of CIV3.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:04   #18
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 19:09
John:

Are you playing a mod?

If so; you may not have the aircraft transport ability enabled or it may be blocked by enabeling the transport foot unit only enabled.

Check the editor and make sure that transport aircraft is highlighted and transport foot soldiers only is NOT highighted.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old April 9, 2003, 18:45   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Make the bomber carry 1 unit. Then check both the "carries only air" and "carries only foot" flags. Now, because it can carry stuff, you can't load it into anything. However, because of those two flags, it can't actually carry anything.
Old April 10, 2003, 08:50   #20
SpydraXxX
Chieftain

Ya, the PTW I just wasn't thinking.... Not uncommon.

Anyway, I am playing a mod. I have my aircraft correct with regards to special abilities. So that isn't my concern. However, I like that idea of adding the load 1 theory there only air and foot. I'm going to try that.

But now with the PTW set, do I have to buy that just to get it's editor, and does it only work with PTW .bics? Or is there somewhere to download the editor from to be used on civ3 1.29?
Old April 10, 2003, 17:00   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, the hold 1 thing works in normal Civ3. In fact, I use it.
Old April 12, 2003, 14:11   #22
SpydraXxX
Chieftain

What about the range though?

Does PTW have it own editor, or does the game itself allow the 16 range and so on?
Would I have to stop playing civ3 to get them numbers?
Like other Expansions, you need the one first, but then your stuck playing the expansion version... Unless there's not much different between the two. Except for the capability for "X" range for units.

And would it be possible for a .bic from civ3 to be played with ptw?