Old April 11, 2003, 19:54   #31
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wall of Junk/Angelic chorus is cool.

Angelic chorus/ Radiant's dragoons is even better.

Sinkholes?
Old April 11, 2003, 22:38   #32
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I agree, permission and land destruction can be amazingly annoying.

Land destruction effects are mainly in red now, probably because they don't want them to be too easy to find. (Except for red mages.)
Old April 12, 2003, 18:32   #33
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
http://sales.starcitygames.com/custo...=Shivan+Dragon

Looks like around 6 bucks, unless you want to get an Alpha/Beta/Unlimited copy.

Compare this to duals, which albeit were last printed in Revised:
http://sales.starcitygames.com/custo...nderground+Sea
no I said 1st edition. Looks like its ****ing 89 dollars. To think I burned that one for fun...

That card that allows player to get 2 turn was the most expensive card in my days (Time something).... How much is that now?
Old April 12, 2003, 20:21   #34
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Time Walk.

It's restricted to one per deck.

Prolly over 100$ now.
Old April 13, 2003, 23:42   #35
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

See, for me Time Walk is much worse than a dual land.

Would the dual lands be better or worse if they, or equivalents, were to be reprinted but without the line that states that they count as two basic land types? This would mean they would be invulnerable to Flashfires and the like, but they would also be immune to fetchlands, Harrow, &c.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:56   #36
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
The thing about Dual Lands is they allow fast starts, just like Time Walk, Black Lotus, various Mox'es, etc. Also, like these cards, there's practically no cost for using them.
Old April 14, 2003, 02:28   #37
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 17:10
the subject of blue/green

there is a nice bluegreen flyer for 2 (elven merfolk) which is blue green

(bluegreen for a 2/2 flyer)

I don't know what set it is in, just know I p[layed it a lot (those and riverboas are great)

Jon Miller

Jon Miller
Old April 14, 2003, 02:29   #38
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

don't play with walls, they lack flexibility because they can't attack

Jon Miller
Old April 14, 2003, 02:33   #39
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

as far as card drawing for green, check out thiese green enchatresses

whenever you play a enchantment (remove an enchantment from play) you get one card

use those with ranccors can be pretty strong (And something that allows you to disgard enchantments like the 'tog that discards enchatments for +1/+1)

I had a deck once (mostly green) that for every green manna I spent (to play a rancor) I would draw a card or two, and than discard it to the 'tog for +1/+1 and than discard the card I drew for an additional +1/+1 (actually wait on this to make sure the creature does not get killed by a terror or something)

with 6 green I could easily get the 'tog swinging for 15/14 trample (just leave the last rancor on the 'tog)

Jon Miller
Old April 14, 2003, 02:36   #40
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I n3ever go for life gain

it is much better to hurt your opponent and win than waste cards on ilfe gain

every card on oyur deck needs to be useful in as many situations as possible

that is why flexilbility is so important

if you have a wasted card than that is a one up the opponent has (and will probably be enough to win him the game)

Jon Miller
Old April 14, 2003, 18:40   #41
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

John Miller:

It's not bad if you can do that combo with Radiant's Dragoons every turn.

How are you going to kill someone gaining 10 life per turn, before they kill you?

Regarding walls, Wall of Blossoms allows you to stave off early attackers, and to draw more cards until you get what you need to finish off the game.

And besides, this deck can win without ever attacking.
Old April 14, 2003, 18:57   #42
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

transcendance

Jon Miller
Old April 15, 2003, 01:34   #43
Mr. President
Emperor

Kill the Dragoons.
Old April 15, 2003, 05:23   #44
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Suppose I use Erratic Portal to bounce the Dragoons.
Old April 15, 2003, 05:39   #45
Mr. President
Emperor

Kill the Erratic Portal first.
Old April 15, 2003, 07:11   #46
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 00:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The thing about Dual Lands is they allow fast starts, just like Time Walk, Black Lotus, various Mox'es, etc. Also, like these cards, there's practically no cost for using them.
No I disagree. Dual lands still count as the one and only land you can play that turn and can only be tapped for one of its mana sources. What it does do is erode the clear superiority single colour decks have over multicolour decks. I haven't followed the scene in recent years but 95% of the successful tournament decks in the two years that I followed it seriously were monocolour. You just can't afford to get dealt 3 land of one colour and 4 spells of another. Its suicide.

Time walk, moxes, black lotus and the rest actually violate the principle that your mana pool can only grow by 1 mana per turn. If you have a mana pool of 4 when your opponent only has 1 or 2 then you can too easily get an insurmountable early lead. That is why most of those cards got banned or restricted even when they were still in print.
Old April 15, 2003, 16:35   #47
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Heading back to the original topic: I think this issue was solved most effectively in Invasion, with the "dual lands" there- they produce either color of mana, helping avoid color screw, but they come into play tapped. So you have your choice of consistency or speed. A nice balance.

Grumbold: Personally I liked dual lands because for fun play it allowed multicoloured decks and Legends decks that I would never ever have seriously considered for tournament play. The strongest strategies are primarily single colour and even with 4 dual lands available I'd not usually try and counter a monocolour deck like a white weenie with a dual colour one.

You just can't afford to get dealt 3 land of one colour and 4 spells of another. Its suicide.

Ah, but this is how dual-lands DO allow Fast Starts, as Urban Ranger described. Simply put, in order to insure that the situation you describe- color screw- happens less often, dual and 3-color decks have more land in them. You draw more land and less threats as a result, but since the absolute quantity is greater, your chances of color screw go down too. As an example, a White Weenie deck that runs just fine on 2 lands I have uses only about 20 lands (all Plains and a few variants)- but a Blue-Black control deck I have needs to run 24-25 lands (13 Islands, 12 Swamps). But, ignoring quantity of land for a moment, if I could somehow replace that with 9 Islands, 8 Swamps, and 4 Underground Seas, I have the same chance as drawing Blue or Black mana as before- but I'm running 4 fewer lands, and can pack those spots with more useful spells. Alternatively, I can keep the land base the same (11 Islands, 10 Swamps, 4 US) and be extra-sure that I don't get color-screwed, if I need that quantity of mana for expensive spells.

As for tournaments, popular decks at tournaments I've gone to recently:
Blue-Green Aggressive-Control (It actually doesn't run that many lands for a 2 color deck either, and it still is awesome and can recover easily from 1-land opening hands).
Blue-Black Control (like my deck)
3-color combo-lock (Black, Blue, Green "Opposition" deck)
Green-White beatdown
Blue-White Control
Red-Green Land Destruction
5-color Black (Black base, uses weird things like Riftstone Portal to splash Green & White spells one week, Grand Coliseums for Red spells the next week, maybe Blue in his next version...)
5-color Blue (Blue base, uses weird tricks to cast creatures of pretty much any color)
White Weenie (I've got one of these, too)
Mono Black Control

6 multicolored decks, 2 weird psuedo-mono color decks, and 2 genuine single color decks. I'm not a huge follower of the international magic Scene, but from what little I hear at the place I play, the 3-4 "decks to beat" are all multi-colored too. This is without dual lands Type II, mind. So I disagree that mono-color decks are inherently superior. They trade power for consistency, generally, and give up the flexibility of having access to two colors as well as the syngery that often results when grabbing another color.

Like dual lands, most of the cards needed for a really good land destruction deck are on the banned or restricted list.

Actually, there aren't any land destruction spells on the Restricted list- well, except for Balance, but that's a bit more than a plain old LD spell. The dual lands are unrestricted, as well.
http://www.wizards.com/dci/judge/mai...rces/sfr_type1

Because it amused me, I dug up this "competitive" Type I deck which extensively uses the duals to power its mana base and further its goal of playing with the most broken spells ever. Not as bad there, because competitive Type I is supposed to be sillily powerful with the Ancestral recalls are flying around, but definitely not something we'd want reprinted. Its totals were Blue (18), Black (6), White (3), Red (2), Green (2), Artifact (1), and 28 Mana sources. With a 5-color sideboard.
Old April 15, 2003, 18:15   #48
Mr. President
Emperor

It seems to me that coming into play tapped is only a disadvantage in terms of speed. You can't use it that first turn you play it, but every turn after that it's got that amazing flexibility.
Old April 16, 2003, 06:30   #49
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 00:10
Looks like all the new cards and combo's have made a big difference then!
Old April 16, 2003, 18:21   #50
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

I'd rather use the painlands then the tapped lands. 1 life is a small price to pay to avoid colour hosing.
Old May 15, 2003, 19:05   #51
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 23:10
Magic: the Gathering - Are dual lands "strictly better" than basic lands?

Hmm, let's see:

1. They don't come into play tapped
2. You take no pain for tapping for either colour
3. Although (as has been noted) it does increase your vulnerability to land-colour hosers, it [i]increases[i] colour flexibility in the deck by, what, 20%

Extended deck without dual lands:
6 Forests
10 Mountains
4 Karplussan Forests
4 "utility" lands

Extended deck with dual lands:
4 Forests
8 Mountains
4 Karplussan Forests
4 Taiga
4 "utility" lands

In any fast deck, I don't care about taking pain from lands if in doing so I a)avoid mana screw, b) make the best use of the mana available to me, and c) put down bigger threats every turn and get a turn 5 kill.

BTW I started playing in Feb 2000, about the same time as "planeshift" in Invasion Block. So I have never known the joy of turn 1/ turn 2 kills (not even in "Shandalar" *sniff*).
Old May 15, 2003, 21:13   #52
Mr. President
Emperor

Why would you want to do or be done by a first-turn kill?
Old May 16, 2003, 03:24   #53
Panda
Prince

Tell a lie: it is possible in Shandalar using a Black Lotus, Forst or Mountain, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Channel.

Quote:
Why would you want to do ... a first-turn kill?
Because you can?
Old May 16, 2003, 06:36   #54
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Panda
Tell a lie: it is possible in Shandalar using a Black Lotus, Forst or Mountain, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Channel.
Isn't there also a Wall of Cindar that you can destroy for 3 points of red or green mana?
Old May 16, 2003, 13:44   #55
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

UR:

Timber Wall

http://pulsar.jb.com/mtg/deckmaster/...nder_wall.html

Still use this in my old RG deck.

Quote:
Actually, you don't need the lightning bolt.

Play Black Lotus
Play Mountain
Sac Black Lotus for GGG
Tap Mountain for R
Cast Channel, pay 19 life for 19 colourless mana
Cast Fireball, paying R, G +19 C will give you 20 mana.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:51   #56
Panda
Prince

Quote:
Isn't there also a Wall of Cindar that you can destroy for 3 points of red or green mana?
Tinder Wall
{G}
Creature - Wall
0/3
0: Sacrifice Tinder Wall to add RR to your mana pool. Play this ability as an interrupt.
R: Sacrifice Tinder Wall to have it deal 2 damage to target creature it blocks.

And of course there is also Fireblast:

Fireblast
{4}{R}{R}
Instant
You may sacrifice two mountains instead of paying Fireblast's casting cost.
Fireblast deals 4 damage to target creature or player.

Embermages aren't well known for their diplomatic skills