Old April 5, 2003, 09:11   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nethack (new version) Tips and Hints
Firstly, I got this idea from reading the "Deaths" thread on this forum, which reminded me of Nethack. So I went to the Nethack page, to see if there was a new version. There is (Feb 2003) so I DL'ed it and started up to see what was new.

If you haven't played Nathack for a few years then this new version :
a) Uses colour graphics (not ASCII characters)
b) Runs on all systems.
c) Has more characters, objects etc. than before.
d) Is ruddy good.

If you haven't played before, then download it here http://www.nethack.org/ (its freeware - small file - and completely legal) and give it a try. You'll be hooked. Its a kind of RPG thingie, in a dungeon.

Secondly, does anyone have any idea how to win this thing? I forgot just how much I sucked at this game. I can't get deeper than level 7. That's not too good is it?

So here are some things I know that seem to work.

1.) Drop rings down the sinks to identify them
2.) Don't eat a wererat
3.) Don't sacrifice hobbits to lawful gods
4.) Always pay in the shop.
5.) Try to keep you pet alive so it can steal things for you
6.) BE CAREFUL !
7.) Kick things to break the locks.
8.) Secret doors/passages are everywhere. Use search a lot.
9.) The kitten bites. The kitten bites. You are dead.

Anyone else got any tips?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 5, 2003, 21:03   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I want to get into playing this. But the last time I tried, I didn't know how to do anything (ie: even to move) so gave up and unistalled it.

But thats not really a tip, is it.
Old April 6, 2003, 06:20   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Ok, you move with the number pad, like in Civ games. And then you press "?" to get a list of commands. And then you panic because there's soooo many to remember. Click on my link and get it again. That's an order.

-Jam
Old April 6, 2003, 10:17   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
Check out some of the older threads. Do a search for "nethack" in this forum. Both Matty Boy and Ari are very good players.
Old April 6, 2003, 11:38   #5
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 11:10
I've downloaded the new version but it does not look as good as a previous version I have - graphically that is.

Why is it that I have an earlier version (3.31) which is on a PCAuthority Disk 2 (Issue 60) which has better (proper 3D) graphics? The file is called nethack_331_jtp_193_directx.zip and is alot bigger (over 5MB).

I take it this is a modded version? Can I use the same graphical changes for the new version? Are there sites with different graphcial mods for this game?
Old April 6, 2003, 11:57   #6
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Ok, I've discovered it's the Falcon's Eye version which gives the game an isometric view. It's at http://www.hut.fi/~jtpelto2/nethack.html. Having played it this way, I can't play it in it's "purer" form. Ughhh!

I'd thoroughly recommend the Falcon's Eye version. In fact, you won't stand playing it any other way once you've tried it.
Old April 6, 2003, 12:08   #7
Jamski
Deity

The new version doesn't have a pretty skin yet, but it has some new options, characters, spells etc. Get both

-Jam
Old April 7, 2003, 04:28   #8
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 00:10
I do not recommend falconīs eye. It makes the interface clumsier, and you can see less on the screen so you have to scroll a lot more. The little tiles are the best.

If you have trouble, you can go to where the save files are kept and copy them and rename them. So if Gandalf dies and the game erases his file, you can start playing as Gandalf2 from where you last saved. Some players look down on this and call it "savescumming" but it is just copying the same save functionality that every other RPG on the planet offers, and in those RPGīs it is a lot harder to die suddenly.
Old April 7, 2003, 04:41   #9
Jamski
Deity

I've just (last night) DL'ed and tried the Falcons Eye version, and I'm going back to the little colour tiles. It just isn't Nethack otherwise (Of course a purist will argue that using the tiles just isn't Nethack either - but I go blind with the ASCII set ) I know its the same game, but the Falcons Eye interface removes me one step from the game somehow.

BTW - savescumming sucks but do it if it helps you enjoy this great game !

-Jam
Old April 7, 2003, 07:49   #10
MariOne
King

Local Time: 01:10
Well, which did came out first, NetHack, or Angband???

Just about the "purist" issue of these Rogue-like games...

Although not bening addict, I'm too much already used to (Z)angband to appreciate NetHack style... I especially hate the way shops are implemented.
It must be the habit but I got the impression that in NetHack despite having some original features, you're much less in control of your actions and the interface is really cumbersome in some points.
Old April 7, 2003, 09:27   #11
Jamski
Deity

If you hate the shops in Nethack, then you don't have your kitten properly trained Hmm, I'll have to check out the latest version of Angband. It was always a "second choice" to me.

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 00:45   #12
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Sorry but what's Angband?
Old April 8, 2003, 02:13   #13
Jamski
Deity

Another simple RPG in the style of Rogue. I think new vesions come out every year or so, a bit like Nethack. Probably the "OverCats" (snigger) have got a copy for DL.

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 03:50   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Ok, I have started a Nethack game as an archeologist.
Apparently I search automatically and I also pick up things I walk over automatically?

I checked out the previous Nethack threads, but they weren't geared towards the complete newbie.
Although I am going to attempt to tin-kit my two dead lichen that I am carrying.

Nice download site there, WoA.
Old April 8, 2003, 03:58   #15
Jamski
Deity

Press "@" then you won't pick up automatically. This will stop you collecting 1546 orc helmets, and being overloaded. Automatic searching is nice. Its the equivalent of pressing "s" every time you move a square. You may have to do some manual searching too. As an Archeologist try applying (with "a") your pick axe to a wall. (big tip) Don't lose your hat! Eat the lichen. They taste bad, but they are a good part of a vegetarian diet. (Try eating lichen as a Monk ) Use the tinning kit to make meat stay fresh for longer. You do have a tin-opener, don't you?

I knew you would find that amusing

I Nethack

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 04:02   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
zangband is a newer version of angband. There is also adom, which stands for "ancient domain of mystery." The best one though I think is omega, but it's not being maintained
Old April 8, 2003, 05:53   #17
Wazell
Chieftain

There's a new version of Nethack? Oh thanks, there goes my work and studyings

Anyway, do not play NH with Falcon's Eye. It won't make games any better, only add some unnecessary eye candy and you can't see the whole level at once. What's wrong with pure ASCII?
Old April 8, 2003, 06:42   #18
MariOne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art Probably the "OverCats" (snigger) have got a copy for DL.
No need for such underhand search.
As opensource, you get it for free from the official site
http://www.zangband.org/
for the Z(elazny) more complex version.
BTW, I think the latest release is horrible, go for a more stable one.

To go for one of the several Angband variants, there's the http://www.thangorodrim.net/ site.
Old April 9, 2003, 02:47   #19
Skanky Burns

I died in level 4 from eating a rotten gaint bat corpse.
Old April 9, 2003, 03:54   #20
Jamski
Deity

Well, you won't do that again

-Jam
Old April 9, 2003, 05:41   #21
Skanky Burns

No. I started another game as a samurai and died before finding the first set of stairs.

The good part of being so inept is that it is so easy for me to improve.
Old April 9, 2003, 05:58   #22
Jamski
Deity

Tell me about it. The best plan seems to be to play safe untill you can identify potions, weapons etc, and to always attack with the bow/other ranged weapon if you can. I still can't get deeper than the 9th level, though, so I'm missing something.

Practice needed I think.

-Jam
Old April 9, 2003, 14:31   #23
quantum_mechani
Alpha Centauri Democracy GamePtWDG Legoland
Prince

Local Time: 14:10
Speaking of Nethack- has anyone else noticed you can't #enhance skills if they happen to be on the second page? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't even look at the second page of skills if I have a skill to #enhance on that page.
Old April 9, 2003, 20:47   #24
Tuberski

Local Time: 18:10
This game is really tough, I quit playing about a year ago, I think I will try this new version.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 10, 2003, 02:49   #25
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 00:10
If you are too cautious you will end up too weak. Trying on lots of armor is especially important. For example, a lot of dwarves have really good items, like +2 helmets or +1 iron boots, that really boost your armor class and make you live longer in the early game. Spellcasters can use helmets without any penalty IIRC. If it ends up cursed, you can pray to get rid of it. Assuming you donīt pray for otehr things, you can usually pray safely whenever you pick up a cursed item. And of course, yo ucan use an alter or your pet to tell if it is cursed in teh first place, thus avoiding even this minor problem.

My main complaint about Nethack is that shops are absolutely useless, since they donīt identify the stuff for you. You just have a pile of random junk to pick up and pay for, with no clue what the potions or scrolls do unless you have already identified them. Thatīs just stupid. This game needs to start you in a town, where you can buy useful stuff, and you should know what the shops are selling.
Old April 10, 2003, 04:39   #26
MariOne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bruns
My main complaint about Nethack is that shops are absolutely useless, since they donīt identify the stuff for you. You just have a pile of random junk to pick up and pay for, with no clue what the potions or scrolls do unless you have already identified them. Thatīs just stupid.

This game needs to start you in a town, where you can buy useful stuff, and you should know what the shops are selling.
See???!

Being the items on sale just objects on the floor, you don't know what you get just as when you pick an object in any other room. I hardly call this a "shop", that's rather a "bargain cave"....
Not only this, but to SEE what's there you have to *walk* over objects, or to *look* for them (and the "look" function itself is much more cumbersome in NetHack than in Angband), rathern than *read a damn simple LIST of products*!

Your last comment can easily be summarised in one word: ANGBAND.
Old April 10, 2003, 19:16   #27
Skanky Burns

How do you use an alter to tell if an item is cursed?
Old April 10, 2003, 20:06   #28
Wazell
Chieftain

Drop all items you haven't identified on it. Cursed items will give a black flash, and when you pick them up, their b/u/c status is revealed on inventory.
Old April 10, 2003, 20:15   #29
Tuberski

Local Time: 18:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Wazell
Drop all items you haven't identified on it. Cursed items will give a black flash, and when you pick them up, their b/u/c status is revealed on inventory.
Does that work on altars of different alignment?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 10, 2003, 20:26   #30
Wazell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Does that work on altars of different alignment?
Yes, in NH dropping things to get their status works in every altar.

Unlike some other games, try it in ADOM for example and get some angry gods of opposite alignment.