Old April 7, 2003, 10:42   #1
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ooooh, culture flipping found in galciv!
It's not as bad as in civ3, and it's not really culture flipping like it happens in civ3.

In my game i had a lot of influence almost everywhere, and the I-League had popped up. Now, every unhappy system defects to the I-League after a few turns.

The I-League got a system because one of the Altarian systems rebelled and joined them. My influence in that sector was higher then that of the Altarians, but not enough to make that system join me. Now that the Altarians lost their last system in that sector, their influence there dropped, mine stayed the same, and i didn't know what the I-Leagues influence was, but if they even have influence, it must've been lower then the Altarians had, since the I-League didn't have a big empire to drive it up, in fact they only had that one rebelled system.
Because my influence was so much higher, the systems rebelled against the I-League and joined my empire.....but, it joined the I-League in the first place for a very good reason, it's morale was 1!
So after a few turns, i couldn't manage to get the morale up, it joined the I-League again...my influence still being as good as before, caused the system to join my empire again in a few turns... This probably could've gone on forever if i hadn't taken action and send a transport to the system in the meantime. I loaded some pop on the transport, the morale went up, and the planet stayed mine for the duration of the game...still fun to see to system flip back and forth in those few turns.

Between major civs culture flipping is impossible in galciv, because once you lose a star system, your influence drops in that system and the other civs influence rises. Taking it back by influence would take a serious amount of time.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2003, 11:01   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You have to watch the I-League. I had some flipping but it didn't last long. Wasn't happening to me but to other civs. I watched the I-league go from a single planet with no influence to an enormous thirteen system juggernaught within twenty turns. None of my planets turned but I had to surrender because I only owned one sector and they were cranking out three Dreadnaughts every turn.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2003, 16:50   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 18:16
I don't know, if anything culture flipping is an even greater threat than it ever was in Civ3. I've won and lost strictly due to culture flipping. I've taken over entire empires from my superior culture. And, sad to say, had my entire Empire defect straight to the Altarians in one game.

There are 2 things I like better than Civ3's implementation, though. You don't lose your units and you do have a good advance warning that it's going to happen.
Old April 7, 2003, 19:50   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:16
Flipping is much worse that CivIII.
I was tired of playing my game yesterday and was just going down the last tech. No one could afford to get hostile. The color of the map just kept gettting all one color as I never even bother to build culture structure, other than SB.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2003, 04:21   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Ok, i thought the problem with culture flipping in civ3 was that the city would change between 2 civs several times, not just once.
And having your systems in sectors not belonging to you is a good warning IMO. You can see how much influence each of the major races have in the sector.

Culture may be a stronger tactic in GalCiv, but at least the systems don't switch back and forth like in Civ3.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2003, 12:18   #6
Gregurabi
Prince

Local Time: 23:16
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The color of the map just kept gettting all one color as I never even bother to build culture structure, other than SB.
I hope you realize that this is not a very clever way to play. It's like saying "I never even bother to build defensive military units".

In my second "real" game, the Drengin (of all people) were at one point culturally dominant. I was losing border systems to them by influence, then retaking them with transported troops -- a rather inefficient ploy. It took me many turns to churn out enough starbases full of Terran culture to counteract this effect. (Of course, the situation would not have reached this level under normal circumstances; but the Drengin had destroyed many of my starbases earlier in the game when we started military conflict.)

Then there was this little matter of a few pieces of Drengin military hardware flitting about, causing some inconvenience....

But since this is a thread about culture, I'd also like to mention that my superior Terran culture caused all of my trade income to disappear, as my allies (Altarians) were absorbed into my civilization. It seems that a cultural victory and an allied victory cannot coexist as strategies; culture has no respect for political boundaries.
Gregurabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2003, 14:52   #7
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I lost a game where I thought I was going to lose culture-wise. The Altarians had influence over almost all the galaxy except Sol sector.
Then came an event saying that people in the galaxy realised what the Altarians were doing, and all my sectors 'flipped' back to my color.
Then the Altarians decided to send in dreadnoughts, and I moved the wrong ship, they destroyed my starbases, and I quit...
But culture is really interesting, particularly as you see what the others are doing, since you learn that planet X has defected, as it happens.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote