Old April 7, 2003, 17:09   #1
winwithwallace
Settler

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
workers not.. working?
I was playing Marla's earth map as the Russians for some time, and about halfway through the game I noticed that the other civs had made abosultly NO terrain improvements! I figured that would explain my outstanding success in that game thusfar... it was still quite disappointing though. So I tried restarting on that map, after going into the editor and making sure things were a-ok (as far as other civ's being able to build workers and all, which they could), and STILL the AI could build no improvements. Mind you Ive played on this map before and I didnt have this problem.

So I thought, maybe it was just this certain scenario. But then I started a game using the Civ2onearth mod and this problem occured again! So yeah, i'm lost. Im thinking this problem has to do with me turning off worker's ability to plant forests, as this problem started occuring after i checked off the box and took that ability away in the editor.. but even after i re-checked it to try and fix this problem, the AI still seems to not be able to improve tiles. Let me assure you this is VERY frustrating... it makes the game all too easy and cheapens my progress... what could possibly be happening!
Old April 7, 2003, 19:06   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
Maybe there are some changes in computer priorities, like "build units frequently" or improvements. I heard that changing worker capabilities can make the AI lose its good sense on improvement building, but what you tell sounds like other things... Or the AI heard about NIC and resolved to try itself to see if it can win the game.
Old April 7, 2003, 20:52   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
Look at the AI strategies section for the Worker. When you disable any of the worker abilities, the strategy "worker" (or whatever it's called) gets unchecked.
Old April 7, 2003, 22:56   #4
winwithwallace
Settler

ohhh you mean "terraform"? awesome, thanks. i hope this is what ive been looking for
Old April 8, 2003, 15:32   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Probalby the terrarfor strategy is missing. But I'm not sure about the rules chnages in Marlas map, so I can't tell you for sure.
Old April 8, 2003, 23:44   #6
winwithwallace
Settler

Yes I started another game and this was indeed the case... but another problem now is that I cant uncheck the "Plant Forest" box without the terraforming option disappearing... but thats ok, i can live with the AI covering 3/4 of France with trees..
Old April 9, 2003, 14:47   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

If you want to disabe forests, just change the prerequire to something unreserachable.
Old April 11, 2003, 09:39   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:18
I never noticed the AI planting lots of forest in my games... maybe I'm missing something...
Old April 11, 2003, 09:49   #9
Hurricane
Warlord

I'm pretty sure they plant on tundra. Not sure about other terrain types, though.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:54   #10
winwithwallace
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I never noticed the AI planting lots of forest in my games... maybe I'm missing something...
well when you make forests have the ability to be mined, the AI starts to like them more. i always notice that huge swatsh of trees occur in such unlikely places...

this is on an earth map mind you, im a real-world kind of player. i dont think i would really care otherwise...
Old April 11, 2003, 13:18   #11
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
Quote:
Originally posted by winwithwallace
Yes I started another game and this was indeed the case... but another problem now is that I cant uncheck the "Plant Forest" box without the terraforming option disappearing... but thats ok, i can live with the AI covering 3/4 of France with trees..
You need to have all the unit flags checked, otherwise the AI won't be able to use the Workers, and you won't be able to automate. As for planting Forests, if you're really having a problem with it, go into the Terrain area in the editor and switch the worker job there from Plant Forest to Clear Forest. You'll no longer be able to plant any yourself though, it won't be possible. I've had to settle for no Forest planting on Plains, though there isn't any problem with Grassland; the AI generally cuts those down anyway.
Old April 11, 2003, 13:20   #12
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
If you add a mining bonus to Forests, the AI will eventually cover all the Plains tiles with them, even if it had already irrigated.