View Poll Results: Shall we change research qeue?
Change it, iron working first, then geometry 2 20.00%
Leave it as it is, geometry first, iron working later 8 80.00%
^!"§$%&/()=? 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8, 2003, 05:54   #1
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does the new war change our scientific goals?
according to my own savegame: (where the germans haven't attacked us and hence we still call wombatoon our own) geometry (catapults) is 11 turns to go, iron working (samurais) 2. according to the other polls we had chosen geometry because we wanted to get those damned catapults and iron working thereafter. Now we are hit by a surprise war. Though catapults for sure are the best weapon we can achieve in near future, samurais are faster, both in research as well as in movement on the field and give a good mobile force if combined with mounted archers, which we already are building.

note: i personally won't vote here, before i heard the opinion of our MoD, cause he is the one to work with what we give him.
Old April 8, 2003, 06:05   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

We have to get GEO first and as quick as possible.

If we need/want to fight the German's, we need this advantage for destroying their armies, as well as to be able to defend properly what is our's.

The catapult serves two main purposes.
1. It can besiege advancing troops, before the battle
2. It is a far better unit as the archer. (ranged attack).

The Samurai wouldn't give us so much benefit as the catapult!
Old April 9, 2003, 19:00   #3
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 01:19
IMO we should Research Iron Working first:

1 - This would allow us to build mines that would themselves give us more PW and would allow us to build more units and improvements... the benefits are exponentials.
2 - We need the Samurais as our forces are more and more obsolete if we compare them with those of our opponents, the Samurai is also a good and powerful flanking unit we can move faster than our Hoplites through our territory thanks to its increased movement capacity.

Old April 9, 2003, 19:28   #4
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

i still would like to hear the mod's voice. pedrunn? what kind of toys do you need to lead our nation to victory?
Old April 9, 2003, 22:56   #5
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 20:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now things got up-side-down. I was looking just for Catapults, didnt quite gave samurai the attention it deserved.

But to join samurais with catapults or would be such a waste of the samurais abilities. Yet knights arent so far away.

This is hard.

I am voting now for mansory to lead us for fedaulism therefore knights but if i had to choose between those two advances. I choose Geometry. Catapults will be useful for a long time. Samurais will soon became obsolete. Catapult may be very expensive, dont know if we will build them right away!

Still i choose geometry!

Edit: I voted wrong. Can you fix it locutus mys votes was for the second option and not the first
-Jean Rostand
Old April 10, 2003, 04:52   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:19
Geometry is the only way to go

Even with Samurai, we can't expect to take any meaningful German city (except Wombatoon of course) without bombarding it for a few rounds first. Therefore we have little choice but to rush to Geometry...

Ped: done.
Old April 10, 2003, 05:02   #7
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
I am voting now for mansory to lead us for fedaulism therefore knights
well, what i would have preferred all the time. but i don't think i should have as many polls, until the people vote what i want... should i?
Old April 10, 2003, 06:03   #8
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 20:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
well, what i would have preferred all the time. but i don't think i should have as many polls, until the people vote what i want... should i?
Dont worry, knight and pikemem are too expensive anyway. Lets go with geometry too. After all, both ranged and infantry units have the same importance. And th bombard ability will a better advantage than attack values. We research mansory after Geometry.
Plus, the people already voted. Another poll may cause a feeling like the too-many-naming-city-polls insatisfaction that happenned in my government. And we dont want that, do you?
-Jean Rostand
Old April 10, 2003, 06:56   #9
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

We research mansory after Geometry.
Plus, the people already voted. Another poll may cause a feeling like the too-many-naming-city-polls insatisfaction that happenned in my government. And we dont want that, do you?
no, thats not what i want. because geometry and iron working have been the favourites so far -both for military units according to most posts- i didn't include anything else in this poll. so i don't think we are going to masonry after geometry neither, unless you find more supporters who want it that way. btw, the main reason i wanted masonry ain't the run for feudalism (knights, pikemen) but for bureaucracy (republic, diplomats -> better science, better diplomacy) and the fact that some of our cities already begin wasting food, because they are close to their max size and could need aqueducts. but i fear it will take quite some time before we can concentrate on those issues again.
Old April 10, 2003, 09:36   #10
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
but i fear it will take quite some time before we can concentrate on those issues again.
Zaphod might be completly right. It is war-time again. Full time dedication of our cities to war. But THIS time it was caused by SOMEBODY else (although it was funny that it only happened on Locutus computer )....................

So we need to concentrate all our efforts again on war-production. The short period of 'peace' seems to be over........