Old August 18, 2003, 16:29   #421
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Herc: It's not the AABB that gets me, it's the fact I got Cs, Ds and Us this year. My AS pulled me up to a semi-decent set of grades.

I'm thinking of going to Warwick (my insurance) either defered or this year. Just got to see if they let me (they wanted a B in maths, I was 5 marks off (less than 1%). But then I did get a place on their Maths course too A year out could be good, retake A levels, keep working where I am (County Council's Strategic Finance Department) and go travelling for a couple of months in the summer. I fancy going to Eastern Europe to study the effects of the fall of communism.

And hey, I have tickets for Reading Festival this weekend

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; August 20, 2003 at 08:44.
Old August 18, 2003, 17:23   #422
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Congratulations Jamski, you've come back from the dead( well RL ) to be an Emperor.
Old August 18, 2003, 17:24   #423
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Congratulations Jamski, you've come back from the dead ( well RL ) to be an Emperor.
Old August 18, 2003, 17:26   #424
Hercules
Deity

Whoops. sorry about double post, it was the delay
Old August 18, 2003, 17:42   #425
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I fancy going to Eastern Europe to study the effects of the fall of communism.
Oh really? That would certainly be interesting! But before you leave, should you do it, do tell me what your opinion is about the fall of communism and the way the conversion to free market was done. It seems many people change their opinion about that after visiting those countries. They start out with ideals about the glory of free market and inefficiency of the state, and come back recognizing that the state should always remain strong to prevent all sorts of abuses.
Old August 18, 2003, 17:47   #426
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 17:21
That's why we don't use free market system in the Hive.

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 20, 2003, 01:11   #427
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 09:21
Glory to the Hive, its efficiency and turn completions!
Old August 20, 2003, 01:17   #428
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Hey I haven't posted the turn yet.

I still have to work out the balancing of our SE settings.
Old August 20, 2003, 04:17   #429
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Huh, I thought that was my job...

*Octavian points to a badge on his vest saying 'Magna Frater of Social Engineering.'

Oh, hell if I care. Less work for me.
Old August 20, 2003, 04:31   #430
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Yeah, but the decision was about balancing production, credits and tech considerations 8 turns into the future. If you don't consider it holistically then we could lose a few ECs down the track.

And if you consider we're selling articles for 1 EC each. Then that's a huge amount of work we're saving for those poor writers by spending 2 hours calculating the future production and energy distribution needs.
Old August 20, 2003, 08:40   #431
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Oh really? That would certainly be interesting!
Thats what i thought. I was thinking of e-mailing the Russian Government and asking if I could go there to study/work with them for a couple of months. Either that or go to study Scandanavian economies to see if the American's are right and public services stagnate economies. I keep being told that in topping the human development index they are wrecking their future prosperity, and I'd like to see if there is any truth in it.

Quote:
But before you leave, should you do it, do tell me what your opinion is about the fall of communism and the way the conversion to free market was done.
I'm glad it happened, but a little unsure about how it was done. I think a market in some sense brings efficiency and prosperity, but I think it needs to be bought in as quickly as possible (a la Czech Republic). The shock is great, but short-lived, wherea changing like Russia brings bigger problems. I think a lot of the post '89 economic problems are down to the old system, such as the virtually 0% inflation for 40 years, which caused mass inflation when they removed their controls. It takes time to change, for instance the UK is prosperous now because of Thatcherism. It may have been bad having to endure it, but the freer market it brought means we have more prosperity now.

Quote:
It seems many people change their opinion about that after visiting those countries. They start out with ideals about the glory of free market and inefficiency of the state, and come back recognizing that the state should always remain strong to prevent all sorts of abuses.
IMHO it is the state in a free market that performs much of the abuses. I agree that there needs to be some constraints on it, but I think it is far more efficient and prosperous now than it was 20 years ago. There is a big shock involved in changing, but I think over the long term tht becomes a lot less important. I think in 20 years Eastern Europe will be grateful that it changed, as I don't think the shock has disappeared yet.

Quite simply, in terms of economic prosperity, Eastrn Europe has gained from changing. There is more money (PPP measurement as well as exchange) in total there. The spread of money, the equality, I am not sure about. There is probably less at the very top (ie. government corruption), less at the bottom (worker's - no longer full employment) but a lot more in the middle (Bourgeousie). I will have to do some research on it first.

I believe in a free market, but one with strong public services, a welfare state, and strong environmental regulations. Think of Scandinavia, but with a little less tax and a lot less employee regulations.

Old August 20, 2003, 08:42   #432
Drogue
staff

Maniac: When you say abuses, what do you mean? IMHO most abuses are either performed by the state on the individual, or should be illegal. The former is removed (economically) by a free market, and the latter is purely political.

Old August 20, 2003, 15:59   #433
Hercules
Deity

Much more interesting to visit China. A country, a nation, going through an extraordinary period of change (well when was it not). Now in the early throes of opening up to the WTO agreements.

Yes it has widespread in-efficiencies (like I suspect a lot of countries have); it has its societal strata, but it has no severe levels of poverty. And the overall standard of living seems to be well above (personal unscientific view) African and South American levels.

The book I read on my travels was Ferdnand Braudel's History of Civilisations.
If you are not familiar with his work, then for my money he was the foremost European Historian/Sociologist/Geographer of the 20th century.

The History of Civilisations was a development of a series of lectures from 25 years ago ( now updated, with scholarly comments to reflect new findings) and demonstrates a breath of vision spanning centuries and millenia that few scholars, in the modern era would dare undertake.

In all my years I don't believe I have witnessed such a thing as a free market in anything. I have witnessed price fixing, subsidies, monoploy, cartels, insider dealing, bribery, corruption ( widespread in the EU, as elsewhere ), in-efficiencies, political interference, trade barriers, exploitation of cheap (you know the well known Brand examples) child labour.

I 'd better stop.
Old August 21, 2003, 02:39   #434
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
*walks in*
*notices people are still debating free market economics*
*smirks*
Old August 21, 2003, 03:31   #435
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Never thought I'd see Drogue advocating Thatcherism...
Old August 21, 2003, 04:35   #436
Drogue
staff

DARKNESS EDGE HAS RETURNED!!!!

And we only just started on it because of my plans for places to go to study local economics (yes, it's all my fault again)

Btw: If you fancy joining in, feel free to join the CyCon Come and join Method (formerly TKG), DBTS, Maniac, Vlad and a couple of new people

GT: Many things have thier uses. We're strong now (economically) because of Thatcher crushing the unions, low tax rates, selling of properties and public run companies and a lack of public spending. However I wouldn't want to return to Thatcherism. It has created good now, but it messed it up at the time. I'm glad we had it, but extremely glad we don't now

Old August 21, 2003, 05:29   #437
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Glad some of those guys are still around. Never was one for team games though. MWIA and I broke the party system the first time around.

MWIA just posted about starting another, non-team ACDG, along the lines of the first one, but with certain changed features. I'm up for it, if anyone's interested.
Old August 21, 2003, 06:20   #438
Drogue
staff

I'm up for it too. What features/factions etc?

Old August 21, 2003, 06:21   #439
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I think that's still under discussion...
Old August 21, 2003, 08:06   #440
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:21
I'm not sure I'll respond to your economics post Drogue. I fear it might end up in and .
Old August 21, 2003, 09:30   #441
Drogue
staff

Sorry. I'm not to up on the specifics of Eastern European economics. I'm not for unfettered capitalism, but neither do I think there should be that much power in the hands of the government (especially ours ). I'm not a right-wing nut, honest

Old August 21, 2003, 10:15   #442
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
it has no severe levels of poverty. And the overall standard of living seems to be well above (personal unscientific view) African and South American levels.
Yes it has. Just that the parts where severe levels of poverty exist are not really open to foreign visitors. But I agree overall the living standard is above some of the African and South american countries.

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 21, 2003, 16:14   #443
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
But I agree overall the living standard is above some of the African and South american countries.
And parts of Manchester...

Drogue, why don't you visit a civilised part of Europe, like southern Germany... I have a spare bed if you're interested, and you'd only have to pay a minimal rent

@Herc - hardly anyone even noticed apart from you...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:17   #444
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

@Herc - hardly anyone even noticed apart from you...

-Jam
Would it be because you were busy painting the ceiling?

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 21, 2003, 16:41   #445
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
In all my years I don't believe I have witnessed such a thing as a free market in anything. I have witnessed price fixing, subsidies, monoploy, cartels, insider dealing, bribery, corruption ( widespread in the EU, as elsewhere ), in-efficiencies, political interference, trade barriers, exploitation of cheap (you know the well known Brand examples) child labour.
There isn't such thing as a free market. There are freer markets though. Perfect competition (a free market) is just an idea.

Old August 21, 2003, 20:08   #446
Vev
King

Quote:
I have a spare bed if you're interested, and you'd only have to pay a minimal rent

-Jam
Sounds like there is a catch somewhere, perhaps he doesn't want you to leave, ever.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:18   #447
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Are you people still having philosophical arguments? Geez!
Old August 21, 2003, 23:37   #448
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
philosophical discussions are not allowed in the rec commons

/me instructs Maniac to throw the non-spammers out
Old August 21, 2003, 23:47   #449
Vev
King

What about spam quality psuedo-philosophical discussions?
Old August 21, 2003, 23:52   #450
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Give us an example.