Old April 9, 2003, 12:24   #1
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Huge vs Small maps - an experience
I thought that I should share a little experience in playing huge or small maps lately - as it is not really a story, I thought it best fits in the strategy board as there is some strategy involved.

I've played Civ for the first time on the Commodore Amiga 500, some 16 years back - and have played all versions of the game since then - but exclusively single player games. Over time, I found my way to play it:

- always the biggest map there is
- always a generated map (discovery time!)
- minimum ocean coverage (land, land, land!)
- max. 4 civs (myself included).
- temperature: temperate (tundra or desert? no way - grassland rules!)
- barbarians: raging (Barbarian uprisings are cool )
- climate: wet (more jungle > more grassland...)
- difficulty: warlord or above

I guess you can already see the result of that configuration - enough space for giant empires, and epic battles. Hell, yes - even if you spend most of your time tweaking your cities, it's just great to feel the awesome power you hold in your hands . Because this kind of game means confrontation a lot later than on smaller maps, and also because your opponents are generally not far behind you (or even ahead of you) in terms of technology, a conquest is not an easy matter and can take a very long time.

I have found out that these games are not very strategic - it's mainly brute force, and you usually don't have to fight for resources as you have so much land under your control that you've got them all. And you never really have to fight for survival - the challenge lies in the sheer size of it all.

Building on that insight, I decided to try something new, and started a small map with 9 civs. Well, that made for a real challenge and a very big mess indeed: by the time I had three cities going, I was in a clinch between the babylonians and the russians. No space left for additional cities - me, the builder of empires!

A decision was badly needed, being well aware that I would not be able to keep up with research, and would soon be maimed to pulp by units I could not defend against. So I went for the Babylonians to the north who were less powerful than the russians (yes, always hit the small ones first, that's a lesson history has taught us). The first two cities I was able to rush with a constant flow of archers (I had no iron), but then their cities were too well defended for my puny archers.

I was already quite happy to have two more cities, bringing it to a total of five - but that was not enough. I needed more space, so I used my whole treasury to get maps from the other civs and find some iron. Luckily, some distance east there was a patch the russians had not settled yet where I could send a settler by sea. The settler got there safely, but just in time - a russian settler was already on its way there .

Things were beginning to run more smoothly and I had a goodly army of swordsmen when the english popped out of nowhere and declared war on my little patch of green land. That was a bit of a problem, as they were quite far away and the russians were between us. Apparently the english had a right of passage, as they sent masses of troops through the russian territory. I had to postpone my plans to conquer the rest of babylon to concentrate on survival. Luckily, I discovered Invention at that moment and could build Berserkers, which helped in defending my positions.

The english, however, are well known for their tenacity . They kept sending swordsmen, which were soon followed by knights. My defenses slowly diminished, and I had to change my strategy. I decided to follow the advice I read in the civ strategy forum and built a city on the path of the english troops - I found a very handy location being a single square of land with ocean on two sides: either you went through the city, or you didn't cross. I massed all my troops there, hurried walls and added a few catapults for fun.

My defenses held, and I could start to think about a counter-attack. I built some knights and Berserkers and when I had a score of them I went for the russian cities that separated me from the english... to discover that they were in bad shape already, as the japanese were hacking away at them with all they had, including samourais. God, I hate these things when it's not me who's using them! I took two left-over russian cities whose defenses were already weakened, and strengthened my positions there. The japanese continued their assault and conquered the whole russian empire except one city, the one they had built beside my "iron colony". Apparently they quickly got bored after that, running around in circles and all: they attacked me a short time after their conquest of the russians .

Now that was a slight problem, as you may imagine - having the english AND the japanese against me was about the last thing I needed. Luckily, my recently won russian cities were holding, even against the repeated attacks of the japanese. I started thinking dark thoughts . The japanese, however, seemed to have some dark thoughts of their own and started sending all their troops east in the exact direction of my "iron colony"... darn, that was unexpected! And not good at all, because without my iron, I would certainly lose this battle very fast. That city HAD to hold.

Unfortunately, that city, not being connected to the rest of my empire, being in enemy territory and all, had only its own resources to work with: two pikemen as defense, and one berserker as attack force were stationed there, so hardly a defense at all. I had to do something, and quick. Build a boat with troops? No, I only had galleys, and they would need way too many turns to get there. So the idea came quite naturally: I needed a diversion .

The diversion came in the form of an army with three elite knights, some more knights and a few berserkers. This little elite force made a skirmish to one of the nearby japanese cities, and instead of capturing it just killed a few defenders. And O joy! it worked - the japanese rushed back to my position to defend the city. My iron colony was safe for a few more turns . To my dismay, the problem was not so easily solved: the english were moving troops that way too now, probably taking example on the japanese. Darn and re-darn, the first english cities were miles away, out of reach for a diversion. On top of it all, my lone berserker in the iron colony died attacking a veteran english warrior (7 attack vs 1 defense, go figure) - some hell of a warrior!

I was getting very upset with the whole thing when the english contacted me, and proposed a peace treaty. Huh? Well, lemme think... oh, okay. (goodies!) I was a little safer now, and quickly sent reinforcements to my solitary iron colony. As the japanese seemed to finally have given up altogether, I spontaneously turned my attention back to the babylonians, who must have hoped I had forgotten about them. They were no big challenge, and that gave me some extra room I needed.

While I was slowly rebuilding the former babylonian cities, the japanese asked for a peace treaty which I accepted, and after a short inquiry understood why: the english had decided they would wipe them from the face of the earth in my stead. They were evenly matched, however - they had about the same amount of cities, and the japanese had a terrifiying number of samourais. While those two were hacking away at each other, I concentrated on my cities and military. I was busily researching and building units at the same time.

In the meantime, the japanese were quite successful in their campaign and took a few english cities. The english took some back, and for some time it was an endless back and forth. Some cities were destroyed in the process, it was really interesting to watch. The tide turned, however, when the english introduced the cavalry and the samourais painfully learned that being on foot against cavalry means painful death, even if you're equipped with two wakisashis . The english campaign progressed mightily from then on, and when they ceased their attacks, the japanese were in bad shape.

I, as spectator was beginning to worry just a bit: I had a goodly technological advance, but the additional power the english had gained in the battle could well help them to catch up, and they could even decide to turn against me in the process. In the event of a war with the english, I wanted to keep the front line as small as possible, so I decided to attack the japanese myself and take the cities on my part of the continent - that way, only two of my cities would face the english empire.

The japanese did not put up much of a fight, and clearly were no match for the freshly built tanks that I sent out to teach them some manners. I felt sorry for them: their encounter with the english cavalry was their downfall, and now here I came with tanks... I was able to close the front line to the english this way, and felt much safer. Now come what may, I thought, I'm ready for it. Well, for the first next thing I was, anyway: the last russian city which was lost somewhere in my territory suddenly felt offended, and they declared war on me... with archers!

I felt even more sorry for them than for the japanese, so I dug up a few old units I had kept because I lacked the funds to upgrade them, and sent them there - I wanted them to be able to make a last stand with honour. They fell honorably to my swordsmen, and the last gap in my territory disappeared. I now had fifteen cities, and was building out my technological advance as well as I could - with much success. The second next thing, was one I wasn't really prepared for: the koreans came to my shore, and said "hello, we're the koreans from accross the sea, and we're here to crush you real bad".

Now that was a suprise, mainly because I had never had any contact with them before - but it all got much clearer when the english joined the battle: I figured that they must have had a military alliance. Buggers. I got rid of the english problem in the first turn by contacting them and asking for a peace treaty. They seemed relieved, and accepted right away. Apparently, they did not support the koreans as much as those would have wanted.

I constituted an expeditionary force comprised of tanks and mech. infantries and set out to conquer the koreans. As I explored the continent they had settled on, I noticed that conquering them would take some time... they had been very busy all this time and had nearly conquered their whole continent. Only bits of zulus and indians were left here and there, and a slightly larger chunk of Carthaginians. I nevertheless chose a good spot to land which would be easily defensible, and started making my way to an average-sized korean city that would be a good starting point. At the same time, the koreans were sending all their naval forces (frigates and ironclads) to bombard the shores of my homeland . Some very dark thoughts and a few battleships later, they gave up on that entirely.

I had just conquered that first korean city when the carthaginians attacked me from the north on that same position. I did not understand why they would do that, and was not in a mood to try to understand. The next shipment of troops bound for the korean continent just happened to land in the middle of the carthaginian territory. By way of modern armors vs musketmen, the six carthaginian cities were bent to my will in a flash. Now I was able to really concentrate on the koreans, but they asked for a peacy treaty before I could launch any attack. Darn and Re-Darn! As I only wage war if provoked first, I accepted and suddenly found that I had nothing else to do.

I sent out my workers to plant forest in all the parts of my territory that was out of reach from the cities, and built all spaceship parts except the exterior casing to be able to continue playing a little, and toyed with espionage missions during which a few english and korean cities flocked over to my side. I started making plans to finally get rid of the english, as I thought I should have done much earlier, and see what kind of resistance they could come up with. They must have read my thoughts, because at that exact moment, they started building a spaceship of their own. That did it. I finished mine in a whirl of manufacturing plant machinery in just one turn, and won the game. It only gave me a "Syrkos the Fair" rating, but the game had been a lot better than those I finished with the highest scores on huge maps.

Conclusion: I guess I'll be playing on small maps more often now, even if I can't quit playing the big ones - it's a different experience alright. It is outright amazing how many ways there are to play this game. After 16 years of civilization, I'm still mesmerized...

Well, this has become a longer post than I thought I would write, I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless

Aeon Of Time
Old April 9, 2003, 12:34   #2
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

A little long for my taste(reading it would take hours)...but I read the end.
civ is the most replayable game I know...and that says quite a lot
Old April 9, 2003, 13:56   #3
Pentalog
Settler

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good game - it sounded very entertaining!

One thing that I've noticed, actually, is that the larger maps on higher difficulty levels (I play on Monarch almost exclusively) are actually easier because there is much more opportunity to play "tech-broker." Smaller maps are more difficult, IMO.

Pent
Old April 11, 2003, 18:23   #4
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Sad to picture all those Samurai being trampled by the English Cavalry. What an alliance it could have been if they had befriended you instead of attacking you.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 12, 2003, 10:09   #5
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
What an alliance it could have been if they had befriended you instead of attacking you.
I could not agree more. I loathe the english in the game, and I just hate talking to Elizabeth. That would have been a very good occasion to turn the tide. Especially because I did not have the time to do it all before the game ended.
Old April 20, 2003, 15:12   #6
Quasar1011
Warlord

Re: Huge vs Small maps - an experience
Quote:
Originally posted by AeonOfTime
I was in a clinch between the babylonians and the russians. No space left for additional cities - me, the builder of empires!
...I was already quite happy to have two more cities, bringing it to a total of five - but that was not enough. I needed more space...
There is another way to get more cities and land. Build a new city right next to the border, and rush build a library or temple (eventually both). Often you will find that your borders have advanced into neighboring territory after 2-3 turns. And remember to look for unclaimed territory. You can start a city there with the idea of advancing your borders, even if it normally would not be a place you would found a city.
This is also a good way to culturally capture cities. It may be that I had my eyes on a good city site, but the Germans built Hamburg nearby one turn before my settler could found a city. I still generally build a city 2 squares away from Hamburg, with the express intent to capture it culturally. This can also be done to capture resources adjacent to your own borders, by building up your culture in nearby cities. All without firing a shot!
Old April 20, 2003, 15:43   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Good story and game.

The trick is to balance number of civs and total workable land... you need the challenge of a Killer AI civ.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 20, 2003, 17:54   #8
Cruddy
Warlord

Good story! It's temped me to try a small map for my next game, once I've beaten the my ongoing one.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 21, 2003, 07:56   #9
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Re: Re: Huge vs Small maps - an experience
Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar1011
This is also a good way to culturally capture cities. It may be that I had my eyes on a good city site, but the Germans built Hamburg nearby one turn before my settler could found a city. I still generally build a city 2 squares away from Hamburg, with the express intent to capture it culturally. This can also be done to capture resources adjacent to your own borders, by building up your culture in nearby cities. All without firing a shot!
I also used this technique sometimes in my games, but in this case it wasn't really workable. You can never be sure that the city you'd like to convert is actually going to convert, and even if it does, when it will do so. I needed the space fast, I could not wait so long.

I have made a test in another game I recently played, however: I started the editor, and just added one building: the museum. This building gives as much culture as a university, and doesn't quite take as long to build. A perfect culture booster for smaller cities, ideal for aggressive cultural conversion matters.

Some will consider that cheating, I just call it making the game what I want it to be: fun, fun and even more fun. Especially if you are a pacifist at heart, there are not so many tools you can use to get rid of your opponents. It's just grand when the enemy falls to your culture!
Old April 24, 2003, 20:24   #10
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
I just call it making the game what I want it to be: fun, fun and even more fun.
As it should be. Everyone has at least an idea of their ideal MOD
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 26, 2003, 08:12   #11
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

AeonOfTime, you have played it the way I prefer to play. I also started off with the huge maps, but my pc cant handle the load around 0AD, so I started playing small. Load up on AI civs and it can be a blast. I think the close proximity of the AI to one another makes things move faster, and makes them more aggressive. Its utter chaos for many turns, sometimes a whole game. On small archipelagos, I have seen some impressive AI invasions.
I had modded a scenario at one point to have 13 civs on a small 80x80 map. It was chaos.....lots of 2 city empires.
I do play on Standard sometimes, but mostly small/tiny maps.

There is an 80x80 and a 60x60 world map available. I think El Mencey has the 60x60 earth and someone else has the 80x80.......both are a blast to play.

Oh, and I loved the write-up.......long and informative, the way i like it...Long Live "Syrkos the Fair" !!
Old April 26, 2003, 11:27   #12
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good account (don't listen to Thirgaral).

One thing I didn't understand - how you came to be exploring a small map with tanks? (as it seems you were on the Korean continent).

I'd have expected the map to be fully uncovered (for occupied land) and contact made with all civs long before - especially a small map- no later than navigation, if not astronomy. Do you like saving some mystery for later? There are tech penalties for not making contact asap.
Old April 26, 2003, 14:10   #13
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Quote:
*mumble mumble*

no, really, don't listen to me... I'm sure it´s very good once you've read it......
Old April 27, 2003, 06:56   #14
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus

One thing I didn't understand - how you came to be exploring a small map with tanks? (as it seems you were on the Korean continent).

I'd have expected the map to be fully uncovered (for occupied land) and contact made with all civs long before - especially a small map- no later than navigation, if not astronomy. Do you like saving some mystery for later? There are tech penalties for not making contact asap.
I didn't know there were tech penalties...

I usually only explore as far as I get until I encounter other civs, and I usually don't even bother to send out galleys, as the other civs do that massively and buying a map is much more handy. And there's a little bit of keeping the mystery involved too I have to admit

That's why I explored with tanks... never really thought about it before, but now that you've pointed it out, it's true that it sounds funny
Old April 27, 2003, 07:03   #15
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus

I think the close proximity of the AI to one another makes things move faster, and makes them more aggressive. Its utter chaos for many turns, sometimes a whole game.
You're right - those are really fierce games, as everyone is trying to fight for space. Conquer or be crushed... It's quite a change from my builder perspective, but very enjoyable.

Quote:
Oh, and I loved the write-up.......long and informative, the way i like it...Long Live "Syrkos the Fair" !!
Thou art too good, my liege!
Thanks for the feedback
Old April 27, 2003, 07:05   #16
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Thirgaral

no, really, don't listen to me... I'm sure it´s very good once you've read it......
I forgive you (but only to 98% )