Old February 21, 2001, 00:03   #1
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Lightning Strikes!
Here we go. We forgot to decide on one thing, though. Our starting civilization. I hope you all don't mind but I exercised the author's perogative, so to speak, and chose the Sioux. I mainly did that because I hate to play against the Mongol.

Anyway:

1. kcbob (kcbob49@hotmail.com & robert.a.sorter@dfas.mil)
2. John-SJ (jdulleck@pacbell.net)
3. Roman (lajciak@hotmail.com)
4. thoth (dv685@ncf.ca)
5. Julius (julius.brenzaida@infomaniak.ch)
6. Scouse Gits (git1@scousers.net; git2@scousers.net)
7. Ribannah (broeder@bart.nl)
8. DaveV (dave_v9@yahoo.com)

Summary is as follows:

In the beginning, there were two nomads, cast upon a strange land. In a vision, one of them saw three great cities. A great emerald city named Zimbabwe, a deep sapphire blue city named Berlin, and a city as orange as the fiery sunset called Athens.

Upon receiving the vision, the two nomads, Ben and Jerry, decided to found their own cities so as better to protect their loved ones, market their goods, and flourish as one nation. To that end, Little Bighorn was begun. The people were joyous as the site Ben had chosen for there were great fishes called Jonah Swallowers off the coast.

In due time after 50 winters, it was agreed to have a meeting of the people. At the first city council meeting, it was decided to learn how to read and write, for cuneiform reading is a lost art these days. At the same time, Jerry announced that he, too, would found a city. Being slow of foot, it took him another 50 winters to get organized but eventually, Wounded Knee was founded to the west of Little Bighorn.

Some people were fearful as to the close proximity with which Wounded Knee was located but Jerry calmed the people with another vision. Using letters from the partially completed Alphabet research, he began chanting, “I…C…S, I…C…S”. Had only he been given the vision after the Alphabet had been completely researched, who knows what other letters he might have been given in vision?

100 winters later, upon successful completion of the Alphabet, Ben and Jerry both passed away. It was decided to learn the tradition of Ceremonial Burial so as to honor these two noble nomads from the north. Granted, the cities they had founded were in the south but then, no one as yet knew how to read a compass.

As if to carry on in spirit, a warrior was born in Little Bighorn. Where the winds might carry him is not know at this time. And to assist him, it was decided to train another nomad, a settler if you will. In the meantime, a watchful eye was again cast to the visions and behold, a city as bright as the full moon, Moscow, was perceived.

The future is bright, the world is ours if only we’ll take it. Onward and upward. (There’s that compass thing again)

Go get 'em John-SJ.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 21, 2001, 01:45   #2
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
Game received.

I played the turns tonight. Not much activity.

When I became the new chief of our tribe in 3800 bc. I decided to send our lone warrior out to explore nearby lands so that when future tribesmen decide to found new tribes we could send them off with some knowledge of their surroundings. I oversaw the creation of a new warrior at Wounded Knee and sent him out as well. Now both cities are working toward building settlers so that our tribe may expand. And there is talk in the wind, new talk, about cermonial burial. But I have not seen this wonderful invention yet, and now it appears my successor will be the first to witness this discovery. I pass the succession in the year 3550 bc.

Now it is up to Roman.

John-SJ
Old February 21, 2001, 08:01   #3
Roman
King

Local Time: 22:55
Game received from both kcbob and John-SJ, but the .sav from John-SJ is infected with a virus, so the computer won't let me download it. Please virus check your computer and resend me the file.
Old February 21, 2001, 08:45   #4
Roman
King

Just as the new ruler was preparing to lead the Sioux tribe an epidemic of "black death" struck the young nation. Wise sagely healers "McAffe and Norton" were summoned by the ruler to aid the ailing population. There effort proved fruitless. The epidemic could not be stopped. However, the third despot of the Sioux, then realized that if the disease were eradicated at its source destination, trade and file transfers would no longer bring the disease into our settlements. So he pleaded the previous ruler to carry this out and offered the help of his doctors if need be.
Old February 21, 2001, 08:51   #5
Roman
King

Virus disabled by McAfee and Norton! Starting my turn..
Old February 21, 2001, 09:09   #6
Roman
King

Finally the epidemic was cured and Roman took over the reigns of power.

The wariors continued their exploration duties, but then a disaster struck. The rapid population growth of our nation caused overcrowding in both of our mighty cities. Hence, much population in each had to be diverted to entertaining the masses, until the wariors could be brought back to keep order among the populace.

This delay in exploration promises to be only temporary, though, as the two cities carry on training new nomadic groups to get rid of the excess population. Only the next leader will have the joys of expanding our tribe's hunting grounds, though. After a biblical life-span Roman finally retired from power, but not before he oversaw the development of ceremonial burial, which will serve to provide respectful resting places to all deceased leaders so that their souls don't torment the living. Roman writing is neccessary as the next cultural advance to enhance our abilities to record the history of the tribe.

Roman's heir - Thoth, will now acquire the responsibility for the tribe's development.
Old February 21, 2001, 09:14   #7
Roman
King

The .sav file has been sent.
Old February 21, 2001, 09:35   #8
kcbob
King

Hot damn! Now this is the way to play a succession game. Way to go guys! Up and at 'em, Thoth!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 21, 2001, 10:40   #9
John-SJ
Emperor

Thanks for the heads up Roman. I will check out this viruas problem after work today. I'm a little surprised by this actually, I have Norton always enabled and I do an auto-update of virus definitions once per week. It'll be interesting to see how this slipped by. Glad there was no harm done to your machine Roman.

John-SJ
Old February 21, 2001, 18:28   #10
kcbob
King

Hey, Roman, the file was not attached in the emails you sent to me and Julius. Could you please resend? Thanks.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 21, 2001, 19:18   #11
Roman
King

Oops, I don't know what I have done wrong. Anyway the save has now been resent to everyone concerned. Kcbob, I don't suppose you could mail me all the files you get for reference too? It would be interesting to see how the game is progressing.
Old February 21, 2001, 19:21   #12
Thoth
King

Local Time: 18:55
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-21-2001 08:35 AM
Hot damn! Now this is the way to play a succession game. Way to go guys! Up and at 'em, Thoth!

Game recieved, played and 2950 save forwarded to Julius and Kcbob.

3200 Bc: A new ruler takes the reins of power.

3150: Little Bighorn completes a new band of settlers to expand our empire.
Orders are given for a group of fierce warriors to be trained so that our cities may be defended, and the peasants kept in line.

Our wariors from Little Bighorn set forth to the north to explore the vast unknown surrounding us.

2950: Cedar Creek is founded on the fertile river to the south of Little Bighorn.

An uprising of Barbarian Horsemen threatens us from the north, and our warriors move to intercept them before they can take our capital.

Writing has been discovered, and our researchers begin work on Cermonial Burial.

Old February 21, 2001, 19:44   #13
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by Thoth on 02-21-2001 06:21 PM
our researchers begin work on Cermonial Burial.

Most interesting, I thought ceremonial burial had been developed under my reign already. Oh, well perhaps I researched Code of Laws. For some mysterious reason I always confuse the two advances. That means no burial mound for my previous incarnation.
Old February 21, 2001, 21:16   #14
John-SJ
Emperor

The smiley says it all. I am at a loss to know what to say about the "virus" supposedly onmy computer. I have the 2-15-01 virus definitions for Norton AntiVirus. I first ran Norton on the .sav that caused Roman the problem. Nothing. Then on the .zip file, then on the .sav extracted from the .zip. Still nothing. Then I added .sav files to the list of files to check and ran the checker on my whole computer. You guessed it, nothing!

Roman, what is the definitions date on your Norton virus checker? And what version of Norton do you run? I have 5.0.

I'm beginning to think that Roman is getting a false positive, but if you get a .sav file from me don't hesitate to do your own checking.

John-SJ
Old February 21, 2001, 21:28   #15
kcbob
King

I'm confused, too. I'm sure I chose Ceremonial Burial. Perhaps Thoth meant Code of Laws. Hope so anyway.

Yes, Roman, I can email you the copies. It might be tomorrow before I can get to them. Anybody else want them?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 21, 2001, 22:14   #16
Thoth
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-21-2001 08:28 PM
I'm confused, too. I'm sure I chose Ceremonial Burial. Perhaps Thoth meant Code of Laws. Hope so anyway.

Indeed. Code of Laws it is.

kcbob: When you wiped the goody huts did you save as scenario? The save I recieved has "CHEAT MODE" slathered across the score in big ugly red letters.
[This message has been edited by Thoth (edited February 21, 2001).]
Old February 21, 2001, 22:59   #17
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Thoth on 02-21-2001 09:14 PM
Indeed. Code of Laws it is.

kcbob: When you wiped the goody huts did you save as scenario? The save I recieved has "CHEAT MODE" slathered across the score in big ugly red letters.
[This message has been edited by Thoth (edited February 21, 2001).]

I hope it's not my turn to . Yes, I did save as a scenario. Anybody know if the "CHEAT MODE" statement carries on anyway? I don't recall ever seeing it in other games. Maybe I goofed. AARRGGHH if so!

BTW, Roman and Thoth, could you zip the next go round that you send. It's a little faster on the downloads.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 22, 2001, 08:13   #18
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Hey guys : we're much over the speed limit.
Game received, gonna play it for this evening. I hope that I don't slow it too much !
Nice to see it works so well (so far).
Old February 22, 2001, 08:19   #19
Roman
King

My version of antivirus is older than yours. Yes, I probably got a false positive. Anyway, there is no problem with it now so we don't have anything to worry about.
Old February 22, 2001, 08:26   #20
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-21-2001 09:59 PM
I hope it's not my turn to . Yes, I did save as a scenario. Anybody know if the "CHEAT MODE" statement carries on anyway? I don't recall ever seeing it in other games. Maybe I goofed. AARRGGHH if so!

Saving it as a scenario would mean cheat mode would not appear near the score, so you must have saved it as a normal game. Never mind, it doesn't actually make any difference to the fun value that we will have CHEAT MODE written on our score.

quote:

BTW, Roman and Thoth, could you zip the next go round that you send. It's a little faster on the downloads.

Unfortunately I have only winzip, so to the best of my knowledge I can unzip zip files, but not create them.
Old February 22, 2001, 08:55   #21
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 17:55
First, I would like to say thanks to those who have played so far, the naratives make it fun to follow along even though I'm not playing.

Next, to Roman, you can create zip files with winzip. If you use the 'classic view', you should have a "New" button in the left corner of the toolbar or you can click "File/New Archive". The program will prompt you for a name for the new zip file and then prompt you for the name of the file(s) to add. You can either type the path and name or browse to find the files and add them. If you use the wizard interface, the second or third screen should have an option to 'create a new zip file'. If you choose that, it will again prompt for a zip file name and then ask for the name/location of the file(s) to add. Lastly, if you are still having problems, check the help files, they are pretty useful.

Anyway, I'll stop cluttering this post with my babble and just look forward to more entertaining accounts of the trials and tribulations of this soon to be great Sioux civilization.

Albert B
Old February 22, 2001, 12:05   #22
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

cheat mode doesn't show in a saved scenario - so if it is on it suggests that someone else has had recourse to the cheat menu since you started us off - not to worry - if the current game holder simply goes to Cheat | Save as Scenario and then reopens the new scenario not only has cheat mode gone, but the rest of the game is unchanged .......

It occurs to me with the slight confusion as to who has built what - could it be that Second Copy holders are starting on their game before getting the update from their First Copy fellows?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old February 22, 2001, 14:11   #23
kcbob
King

Thanks for the tip, SG.

As for the confusion on research, I think it was just a miscall in the narrative.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 22, 2001, 15:54   #24
Julius Brenzaida
King

A brave warrior was killed fighting the hated barbarians. Another warrior became a hero defending Wounded Knee and became a veteran too. The city of Slim Buttes was founded according to the rules of the I and C and S. No other significant event happened during the short reign (2950-2550) of Dictaror Julius I..

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old February 22, 2001, 15:57   #25
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game sent to Scouse Gits with copies to Ribannah and Kcbob. Slow start and Barbarians stopping early exploration.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old February 23, 2001, 00:16   #26
Thoth
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-21-2001 09:59 PMBTW, Roman and Thoth, could you zip the next go round that you send. It's a little faster on the downloads.

No problem.
Old February 23, 2001, 14:55   #27
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by Albert B on 02-22-2001 07:55 AM
Next, to Roman, you can create zip files with winzip. If you use the 'classic view', you should have a "New" button in the left corner of the toolbar or you can click "File/New Archive". The program will prompt you for a name for the new zip file and then prompt you for the name of the file(s) to add. You can either type the path and name or browse to find the files and add them. If you use the wizard interface, the second or third screen should have an option to 'create a new zip file'. If you choose that, it will again prompt for a zip file name and then ask for the name/location of the file(s) to add. Lastly, if you are still having problems, check the help files, they are pretty useful.
Albert B

Tks., Albert B, it does indeed work. I have been ignorant of the powers of winzip all these years...

BTW: I received the intermmediate game files. Tks. Our situation doesn't seem to be the best ever, but is perhaps good compared to the AI.
[This message has been edited by Roman (edited February 23, 2001).]
Old February 23, 2001, 15:03   #28
John-SJ
Emperor

Another cool WinZip feature. If you open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory containing the save file, right-click on the file and one of the menu options will be "Zip and E-Mail This File", it will create a zip file with the same name as the zipped file, open Outlook Express and add the zipped file as an attachment. This may only work with WinZip 8, not sure about earlier versions.

John-SJ
Old February 23, 2001, 15:10   #29
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Got it - will be on it in an hour or so!

I hope this message posts - I have been Apolyton incommunicado for some 27 hours now - first it would not accept my password - and then after I had contacted Dan - it decided that I was on 'vacation' a first for the Gits - now, Dan assures me, I should be able to post - but I suspect that I will have a post count of ZERO!

------------------
Old February 23, 2001, 15:13   #30
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Yup - no post count and no sig file - the Curse of Apolyton is upon us