Old February 23, 2001, 15:19   #31
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How dramatic - the SGs emerge from the shadows a mere 47 minutes before being counted out!
Old February 23, 2001, 15:20   #32
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:55
quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-23-2001 02:13 PM
Yup - no post count and no sig file - the Curse of Apolyton is upon us

Welcome, Scouse Gits. I notice you're a Settler. Have you been here long? Actually, this is just a clever ploy on your part to now pay Dan & Mark to boost your post count beyond the true number, correct?

BTW, all. It has also occurred to me that by keeping the number of turns per turn to a low number, we also must then rely on each other more so. Playing a lot of turns allows each of us to get out of our own messes. A low number of turns means you all will have to bail me out.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 23, 2001, 15:42   #33
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 23:55
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-23-2001 02:20 PM
Playing a lot of turns allows each of us to get out of our own messes. A low number of turns means you all will have to bail me out.

What worries me is, that we may not have enough turns either for such a great task

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old February 23, 2001, 15:57   #34
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

quote:

[Originally posted by Ribannah on 02-23-2001 02:42 PM]
quote:

[Originally posted by kcbob on 02-23-2001 02:20 PM]
Playing a lot of turns allows each of us to get out of our own messes. A low number of turns means you all will have to bail me out.

What worries me is, that we may not have enough turns either for such a great task

On the third hand, maybe fewer turns means less damage ?
[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited February 23, 2001).]
Old February 23, 2001, 17:00   #35
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Ribannah on 02-23-2001 02:42 PM

LOL! Hopefully, it won't be that great a task.

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 02-23-2001 02:42 PM
On the third hand, maybe fewer turns means less damage ?

One can only hope. But be careful, you two. It's your turn in the barrel.
------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited February 23, 2001).]
Old February 23, 2001, 18:11   #36
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
You got it right kc - you will all agree that we had already attained deity status with at least 12,000 posts wont you! Actually, SG2 - who is a wizz with numbers - assures me that we had 1,701 on Tuesday. Hint, hint Dan!
----------
As far as this game goes - we started with 4 cities half a Settler and 5 Warriors and finished with 3 cities no Settlers and a Diplo. I guess you can drum us out of the Regiment!
----------
The Sad Saga of the SG (Settler Gits) downfall
Give me an Eye! EYE
Give me a Sea! SEA

The students at the Horatio Nelson School of Sleaze seem to have lost a little of the pure spirit of ICS invisiaged by our noble forebear kcbob. The immediate problem (woops I mean opportunity!) is a Barb Horse set to wog our capital! The solution would appear to be to swap our half finished Settler for a Diplomat - of course this means disbanding the cities only existing defender! Harsh times demand harsh solutions...
2500 BC - Give us strength! Two Barb Chariots hove into view from the South - this looks bad for the kids.
2450 BC - Code of Laws -> Monarchy; Cedar Creek falls to Barb Chariot Diplo buys Horse threatening Little Big Horn
2400 BC - Diplo returns to striking range of Cedar Creek
2350 BC - CC buys for 52g (including two free Chariots and a king) we have 30
2300 BC - Horseman dies taking Barb Chariot into the red
2250 BC - Warrior achieves Veteran status defeating Barbarian Chariot! Whew ...
The SGs 'proudly' announce that they at least averted disaster - and suggest that perhaps one of their successors might consider building a poor man's Capitalisation (building and selling a barracks) in order to buy back our glorious city of Cedar Creek.
Old February 23, 2001, 20:14   #37
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Not very subtle double post ...
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old February 24, 2001, 05:17   #38
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Watch and learn from the best !
Scouse Gits, double posts will bring you faster back to your Kingdom !
Old February 24, 2001, 07:08   #39
Ribannah
Queen

Arrrghhh! What have you done!

* Seeks desperately for the NONE Settlers *

Received the game, will play my part shortly.

------------------
Old February 24, 2001, 08:49   #40
Ribannah
Queen

In the year 2250 BC, the people cried out for a hero! There was one who answered that call, and her name was Ribannah.

She promised to take back what had been so rudely stolen from the Sioux as a prank by some pity god, and she made good on her word. A Trojan Horse was prepared, in the form of a statue of a great Warrior in the woods not far from Cedar Creek. When the Barbarians had doubled their army, came out with a mighty Chariot and destroyed the statue, a Sioux warmonger approached Cedar Creek from the opposite side and succeeded in starting a rebellion among the oppressed Sioux citizens. With most of the Barbarian army outside the gates, the people of Cedar Creek won a great victory despite a significant loss of life, and the remaining Barbarians saw no other way out then to join the great Sioux nation. Soon enough the city of Cedar Creek was back to strength, and the two chariot units were well employed for the defence of the nation.
With the Sioux nation in peace, the people prepared for a new type of government. They really wanted to be their hero Ribannah to become their first queen, but shortly before the coronation she was seen riding into the black unknown, looking for new adventures ....

2250 BC Reminded workers of their duty in Little Bighorn
2200 BC Switched production from Warriors to Settlers in two cities
2100 BC Enough money to buy back Cedar Creek, we wait
2100 BC New Barb Chariot kills Warriors in forest
2050 BC Cedar Creek bought back for 52 gold, Sioux receive two Chariots and a fresh Diplomat, one Chariot rehomed to Little Bighorn
2050 BC Warriors started in Cedar Creek
2000 BC Diplomat and Chariot explore nearby land
1900 BC Wounded Knee builds Settlers, Cedar Creek size 2

With the present settings Monarchy will be discovered in 1850, a good year for a full-scale revolt

P.S.: I didn't apply the scenario trick, because doing so gives all cities an automatic free turn

Edit: zipped save sent to DaveV and kcbob

------------------
[This message has been edited by Ribannah (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old February 24, 2001, 12:04   #41
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

1850 Monarchy on an oedo year! Good work, Ribannah!
1800 Little Big Horn builds settlers
1750 Slim Buttes builds settlers
1650 Three Forks founded, sleaze meter into the red zone. But now we have roads connecting our cities.
1600 Cedar Creek builds settlers
1550 Stony Lake founded

File sent to kcbob, John-SJ, and Roman
Old February 24, 2001, 17:35   #42
kcbob
King

1. kcbob (kcbob49@hotmail.com & robert.a.sorter@dfas.mil)
2. John-SJ (jdulleck@pacbell.net)
3. Roman (lajciak@hotmail.com)
4. thoth (dv685@ncf.ca)
5. Julius (julius.brenzaida@infomaniak.ch)
6. Scouse Gits (git1@scousers.net; git2@scousers.net)
7. Ribannah (broeder@bart.nl)
8. DaveV (dave_v9@yahoo.com)

Thanks, DaveV. I'll get on it shortly.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 24, 2001, 18:19   #43
kcbob
King

Turns completed and sent to John-SJ and Roman.

The next 250 years were peaceful and prosperous. Three new cities were founded, Killdeer, Bear Paw, and Big Mound. Bronze Working was discovered and in anticipation of a need for celebration, Potter was chosen as the next topic for research with an eye towards the Hanging Gardens. Mindful of the potential for unhappiness prior to HG, the people also began a mass effort in build temples. The gods must be appeased! And in an effort to find new lands for settling, our faithful diplomat was sent off to the north, sans compass mind you. Along the way, has so far reported of new whaling seas to the north.

And in a surprise, the barbarian city of Beijing has been described by our seers as the fifth most powerful city in the world.

And now, kcbob bids you all farewell as he, too, rides off into the sunset in search of the princess Ribbanah.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 24, 2001, 19:09   #44
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
Game received from kcbob, turn played, here are the highlights.

1250 bc. - Another reign completed in peace and harmony. Every city has now started a temple, some are near completion, and a couple have been completed already. Our wise diplomat continues exploration. So far he has discovered a forest rich in animal life, mostly pheasants, he also discovered another ideal whaling spot.

Two of our cities have completed their temple projects and the people now feel that our impetus for expansion has been stifled long enough. We have begun once again to train settlers. The people at Big Mound found it necessary to hurry the training of a warrior band in order to maintain order, oh the trials of rapid growth.

The year is now 1000 bc. and this leader grows weary. It is time for that young brave who has groomed for leadership to take over. Roman, I leave our kingdom in your capable hands.

Save game forwarded to Roman and thoth.

Old February 24, 2001, 22:43   #45
kcbob
King

Way to go, John-SJ. Quick turnaround. Roman ought to be getting out of bed right about now.

*edit*

I spoke too soon. Roman has finished. That's the good news. The bad news is that he can't get to Apolyton now. Not to worry, though. He sent me a copy of his completed game and I'll forward it to Thoth and Julius. Here's Roman's narrative:

Our isolation from other civilizations coninues, though diplomatic emmisaries have been sent out to establish contact with other civilizations. In the meantime, our civilization is expanding rapidly. Virtually all cities are creating splinter nomadic groups to be sent out for further settlement of the continent. Two such groups were already formed during my 200 year rule. Almost all of our cities have built temples to keep the peasant folk occupied with religios rather than anti-state duties and our cities are reasonably well garrisoned. In my final years I have heard a rumour, while traversing the streets of liberated Cedar Creek that the Chinese civilization has been anihilated by the Greek civilization, but so far I don't know whether other civilizations can indeed exist. All we have met so far were the Barbarians. The rumours, however, might be true. I even heard reports that there are peoples with the knowledge of masonry and literacy and are working on wonders these fantastic technologies enable. To alleviate even the possibility of our backwardeness, I commisioned the building of two libraries in our largest cities. All the other provinces, however, remain true to the vision of the founder of our great Sioux civilization and follow the "ICS" religion.

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited February 24, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited February 24, 2001).]
Old February 24, 2001, 23:34   #46
Thoth
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-24-2001 09:43 PM

I spoke too soon. Roman has finished. That's the good news. The bad news is that he can't get to Apolyton now. Not to worry, though. He sent me a copy of his completed game and I'll forward it to Thoth and Julius.

Game recieved, played and save file forwarded to Julius, kcbob and the Gits.

775 bc A new King takes the reins of the Sioux empire. Big Mound is instructed to build warriors before building settlers.

750 Our settlers move towards new city sites. The charioteers from Little Bighorn are sent after our eastern settlers to ensure the peasants in the new city work.

675: Wood Lake is founded in a forest with ample fishing grounds.
To the east, Dead Buffalo is built to take advantage of offsore whaling grounds.

650: Riots erupt in Wood Lake, these will be put down by the hasty intervention of Big Mound's warriors. The king steps down, and passes the mantle of rulership.

No new technologies were discovered during our reign, but Literacy is just around the corner. Still no evidence of other civilizations.
Old February 25, 2001, 00:36   #47
kcbob
King

Man, when I asked for serious players, that's what we've got. We're rockin' now. Way to go Thoth.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old February 25, 2001, 06:21   #48
Julius Brenzaida
King

650 BC Just when he was disappointed to learn that some cross-country skiing championship risked being cancelled because of coldness (-22 celsius), King Julius II (KJ2 for friends) was called for help by the Sioux. He was pleased to find a prosperous nation. In 625, Literacy was discovered and the search for Currency began. In 575 BC, the Germans build the Pyramids. In 550 BC, Point of Rocks was founded, a fitting name to caracterise KJ2 reign which ended the next turn. No significant event, a nice bunch of little cities. One worry though, we’re late for Trade and wonders. But the skiing should proceed after a delay !
Old February 25, 2001, 06:23   #49
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 02-24-2001 11:36 PM
Man, when I asked for serious players, that's what we've got. We're rockin' now. Way to go Thoth.

Game sent to Scouse Gits with copies to Ribannah and Kcbob. We’re playing faster than light ! Is that serious ???

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old February 25, 2001, 10:22   #50
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

"Give me Gardens, noble leader!"
Our tech path seems to be a little strange for followers of the True Faith, but there is little an individual leader can do to assist here. However, as part of our Manifesto in ourcompletely Democratic clawing to the top of the heap and assuming power, we do solumnly swear that our Capital shall be graced with beauty as soon as possible.

Game received, will play tonight.
Old February 25, 2001, 10:53   #51
Thoth
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 02-25-2001 05:23 AM
Game sent to Scouse Gits with copies to Ribannah and Kcbob. We’re playing faster than light ! Is that serious ???

I was starting to wonder if we could actually finish a full round in under 24 hrs.

Old February 25, 2001, 12:00   #52
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-25-2001 09:22 AM
"Give me Gardens, noble leader!"

Amen, brother. One with vision appears on the horizon.

quote:

Originally posted by Thoth on 02-25-2001 I was starting to wonder if we could actually finish a full round in under 24 hrs.

It's a shame Monday has to roll around.

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited February 25, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 16:23   #53
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

525 BC - "Give me Gardens, noble Leader!" The High Priest cried on the Castle steps. "Our People are unhappy, they do not accept the precepts of the Holy Eye, Sea an' Ness. We must placate them with things of Great Beauty!" ... and so it was that the SGs newly enthroned as King, still dripping with the blood of those less susccessful than themselves were inspired to set the Kingdom of the Sioux on a new Happiness and Beauty footing. The decadent Libraries of the previous regime were torn down to be replaced by the foundations of a Great Garden and a fund raising structure known as a Barracks - all other construction was diverted into noble Horsemen whose sole function in their short lives was to be their self-sacrifice on the altar of the 'Garden'.
500 BC - Raging Brook, Running Bear (first citizen unhappy - the High Priest was right!) founded
475 BC - Aztecs (who are they) are rumoured to be near to the completion of the Colossus; Silver Moon founded - we think that we can now get the Garden - fingers crossed.
450 BC - Aztecs build Colossus; Zulus switch to Lighthouse; Germans abandon Library; We now have 119 shields invested in the Great Project, 154g in the Bank, 40g in the Barracks and 320g in Temples - so we can rush at need.
425 BC - Germans start a race for the Library (goody! hope they win!)
400 BC - Currency -> Trade; The Hanging Gardens of Little Bighorn are built to great rejoicing.
375 BC - The Kingdom is content - the investment Barracks was swapped for a Library in the capital and the SGs ride off into the night ..........
Old February 25, 2001, 20:48   #54
Ribannah
Queen

Across the seas, the princess Ribannah received word about the jubilant Sioux and decided to see for herself the beautiful Gardens. As soon as she entered the capital, people grabbed her from all sides and started calling: "We have a queen, we have a queen, after all those years!" So how could she refuse?
There was work to do. The growth of the great Sioux nation had come to a full stop, not a single settler was searching for land. People worked mostly in the forests, ignoring many of the roads their ancestors had so painstakingly built. This was adjusted and trade along the roads grew so much, that the discovery of - well, Trade, whatever that might bring (there was whisper about a new way of sending goods) - was envisaged to happen decades sooner.
Research was boosted even more when Little Bighorn completed the first Sioux Library. Now, said Ribannah, will we learn all that other peoples in this world have learned, and she ordered the start of a maginificent new project known as the Great Library.
This attracted more workers and in the year 300 BC Little Bighorn reached a population of 100,000 citizens. Meanwhile, migration started anew when no less than six groups of Settlers set out to find a new home.
When Trade was discovered, a big decision had to be made. By means of a referendum, the first in the history of the nation, it was decided to dedicate all efforts to an entirely different project called Marco Polo's Embassy. Instead of simply gathering the scrolls of other peoples, the Sioux would make themselves known to these tribes, to see if it was possible to exchange knowledge and make friends. Caravans were started to bring the necessary materials to the capital. And, the lady Ribannah was thrown out, er, sent forth in order to find those unknown tribes ....

375 BC Reassigned several workers from forests to roads
350 BC Library in Little Bighorn, Great Library started
325 BC Settlers built in Slim Buttes
300 BC Little Bighorn becomes size 4! Message: "Glorious Sioux are largest"
275 BC Settlers built in Dead Buffalo, Bear Paw and Stony Lake,
... Trade discovered, switching to Marco Polo's Embassy, "Greeks start Oracle"
250 BC Settlers built in Cedar Creek and Wounded Knee

Edit: zipped save sent to DaveV and kcbob

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ribannah (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 26, 2001, 04:21   #55
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Nice one, Rib -- we shall have to have words about the relative merits of a shield based economy versus an arrow based one in an ICS game! The danger is that if you put those workers on the trade routes you find that the cities tip to size three before they can produce the Setttler - this is seriously bad news once we get to the two pirates per city stage ...
Old February 26, 2001, 07:19   #56
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

File received. I am headed for the airport, and won't be able to send on the game until tonight.
Old February 26, 2001, 07:54   #57
Ribannah
Queen

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-26-2001 03:21 AM
The danger is that if you put those workers on the trade routes you find that the cities tip to size three before they can produce the Setttler - this is seriously bad news once we get to the two pirates per city stage ...

Ah, but the idea is to have the technology to deal with that when the time comes. If only we can beat the Greeks to the Oracle

------------------
Old February 26, 2001, 17:33   #58
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

quote:

[Originally posted by Ribannah on 02-26-2001 06:54 AM]
If only we can beat the Greeks to the Oracle

Well, the Oracle may not do us much good with only one temple...

250 Chariot in Stony Lake is awakened, and given the mission to explore more territory. Many workers moved from grass to forest. Unneeded temples sold in all cities except capital.
225 "Aztecs undertake MPE".
200 Settlers build Little Big Horn to size 5.
175 Little Big Horn to size 7. 60% science, 40% lux to maintain WLTPD (ouch!).
150 "Zulus have nearly completed Lighthouse". Little Big Horn completes MPE ("I met a traveler from an antique land..." ), Aztecs switch to GW.
Zulus, Aztecs peace
Code:
                    Russian Zulu    German  Aztec   Persian Greek   Sioux
Alphabet,           x       x       x       x       x       x       x
Bronze Working,     x       x       x       x       x       x       x
Ceremonial Burial,  x       x       x       x       x       x       x
Code of Laws,       x               x       x       x               x
Construction,                       x                       G4      T3
Currency,           x       x       x       x                       x
Horseback Riding,   x       x               x       R       x       x
Iron Working,       x                                       x       T7
Literacy,           T2              x       T5                      x
Map Making,         x       x       G2      x       G5      G3      T1
Masonry,                    R       x       x                       T4
Monarchy,           T1      x       T4      x                       x
Mysticism,          x       x               x       G6      x       T2
Polytheism,                 x               x               T7      T6
Pottery,            G1              x       T6      x       x       x
Trade,                      x       T3      x                       x
Warrior Code,       x                                       x
The Wheel,          R       x               x               x       T5
Writing,                    x       x       x                       x
                    484     399     359     416     53      570
Germans declare war when asked for tribute.
Aztecs ignore our feeble threats.
Greeks ignore our feeble threats.
Zulus: no maps, war.
Persians: no maps.
125 Russians undertake GL, Zulus complete Lighthouse. All AIs demand tribute and declare war when I refuse.
75 Aztecs and Zulus sign secret alliance vs. Sioux. Hides (d) Running Bear->Little Big Horn: 48. Wildcat Valley established.
[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited February 26, 2001).]
Old February 26, 2001, 18:05   #59
Thoth
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-26-2001 03:21 AM
The danger is that if you put those workers on the trade routes you find that the cities tip to size three before they can produce the Setttler - this is seriously bad news once we get to the two pirates per city stage ...

Rubbish. With two pirates, hire an elvis. With the HG, presto, instant we love the King day up to and including size 4. Once size 5 hits....start Xinning.
Old February 26, 2001, 18:09   #60
kcbob
King

I've received the game and will get on it when I get home tonight. Hopefully, that won't be much more than 2 or three hours.

BTW. I don't think I've ever built the Oracle. Should I consider that in future ICS games?

------------------
Frodo lives!