Old April 9, 2003, 19:01   #1
ammt603
Settler

Local Time: 17:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Any more expansion packs?
anyone heard if there will be another expansion pack after PtW?

Last edited by ammt603; August 2, 2003 at 18:29.
Old April 9, 2003, 21:21   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 20:25
I *heard* something... I think there's nothing certain yet, but there's plenty people here who could answer this with a little more accuracy... That's just what I heard, just in case.
Old April 11, 2003, 06:40   #3
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 23:25
I hopes there ones, especially if it included the ability to edit the diplomatic situation in a scenarion and a scripting language
Old April 11, 2003, 07:03   #4
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There is today at 4 PM EST (9 PM GMT) a chat on CFC ( www.civfanatics.com ) with Firaxis employees. You could ask there (even if you won't, somebody probably will) but I doubt we will hear anything else but "No comment" or "It is possible" answers.
--Woody Allen
Old April 11, 2003, 07:24   #5
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:25
Its a good oportunity to announce this sort of thing
Old April 11, 2003, 08:46   #6
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

When was PtW announced? Knowing this could allow us an approximate guessing wheter Firaxis will or not announce something and if a new XP could hit the shelves before Xmas.
--Woody Allen
Old April 11, 2003, 09:31   #7
Alex
Emperor

Nah, weren't they working on a new patch for PTW? And suddenly no one talks about this patch anymore. I'd say that they're probably working on their next project, whatever it is (X-COM?).
Old April 11, 2003, 16:09   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 18:25
Most of Firaxis is working on their 'Next Big Thing(s)'.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:19   #9
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Most of Firaxis is working on their 'Next Big Thing(s)'.
Let me guess, SimGolf 2

Old April 11, 2003, 17:41   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Firaxis continues to refuse talking about their projects, so we don't know if they are working on a new expansion pack or not.
However, in the chat, Firaxian Barry told us there were no new unit packs (à la WW2 and Medieval Japan) in the works. Besides, Mike Breitkreuz (the main programmer of PtW, and the big guy of the Editor since the beginning) doesn't work on Civ3 anymore.
OTOH, Barry told us it was unlikely any design change comes with a patch. The way he said it gives some hope there will be an expansion one day.
Old April 11, 2003, 23:57   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I heard that Firaxis was working on something involving Dinosaurs.
Old April 12, 2003, 01:23   #12
Tiberius
Emperor

Again??!!
--Woody Allen
Old April 12, 2003, 01:25   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Again??!!

Oh, they've tried that one already? Never mind. My sources are a bit dated, I see.
Old April 12, 2003, 02:06   #14
Tiberius
Emperor

They've had a project with dinosaurs before civ3 but abandoned it eventually (to our benefit, I'd say, because civ3 would have been delayed at least a year if the Dino game had been realeased).
--Woody Allen
Old April 12, 2003, 02:37   #15
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
They've had a project with dinosaurs before civ3 but abandoned it eventually (to our benefit, I'd say, because civ3 would have been delayed at least a year if the Dino game had been realeased).
Yeah, thats what I've heard. too bad. glad we got civ3 instead.
Old April 12, 2003, 08:40   #16
kentonio
Chieftain

Damnit! Why can they never just give us a straight answer and say either 'yes we're going to release something for you guys' or 'no thats all folks'. Its always the same, it ends up being a big guessing game where noones sure whats happening till the last minute, have I forgotten something here or are WE the ones that actually give them money for their products? So why the hell does it get to a stage where we all end up desperately grateful for the tiniest little scrap of convoluted information? I'm including myself in this btw im just as guilty as everyone else.
Old April 12, 2003, 08:54   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Firaxis has a non-disclosure agreement with Infogrames, so that Infogrames can sell hot news to an camputergaming site. These hot news (the nature of the next project, the existence of a future Civ3 expansion etc.) are money worth, so Firaxians shouldn't give it away for free before they are released.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:59   #18
pedrojedi
Prince

Also, many projects are studied for weeks 'till they come to be an "investment", and many ideas from the creation crew may or may not be taken to a next step, i.e., development and programming. It is natural that every project get for many weeks or even months a "we'll see" statement for fans.
Old April 12, 2003, 12:18   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

rumour control has it there is at least one more on the way , ......

it sound logical , and who knows , maybe around x-mass , .....

have a nice day
Old April 12, 2003, 14:09   #20
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kentonio
Its always the same, it ends up being a big guessing game where noones sure whats happening till the last minute, have I forgotten something here or are WE the ones that actually give them money for their products?
Actually, only indirectly. You give money to Infogrames. They are directly paid by Infogrames . If Infogrames wants the next project to be secret, they are legally obliged to keep it that way. There could be good reasons for secrecy, not least of which is the cheap knock off (can you say, Golf Resort Tycoon) that comes out at the same time cutting into sales.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:52   #21
kentonio
Chieftain

Yes thats very true it is Infogrammes not Firaxis. I would like to apologize for the above rant btw I was just having a bad day trying to coax the impossible out of the editor to make my mod vaguely workable and was becoming bitter and twisted about it.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:00   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:25
I'd prefer if they just started working on Civ IV at this point, making sure that it ends up being more "complete" than Civ III was.
Old April 13, 2003, 12:40   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I'd prefer if they just started working on Civ IV at this point, making sure that it ends up being more "complete" than Civ III was.
hi ,

, yes and no , depends what is going to be in it , .......

it would be wise to wait a year more now , due to the latest developments in the industry , ......

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 03:57   #24
Rasbelin
Emperor

I agree with Panag about this issue. First of all Civ III should mature a little bit first as then all of it has been sucked up and the development of Civ IV could be done more conviniently. Civ has never been a game series which has had frequent releases of new titles (excluding expansion packs and prodcuts by Activision). I would expect Civ IV at the earliest in 2005-2006, but maybe later or maybe not at all. None the less, I'm fine with one more expansion pack. However it would have to include quite much new in order to be catchy.
Old April 16, 2003, 11:08   #25
Alex
Emperor

If they started working in Civ4 right now, they would have enough time to develop the game without rushing it out the door and also to minimize the number of bugs in the release version.
Old April 16, 2003, 11:54   #26
Rasbelin
Emperor

Yes, that's indeed true. Especially now with the latest almost (IMHO) catastrophical release of MoO3 with several quite serious issues and Civ III which had some issues too, plus the much anticipated MP support, I think Firaxis and Inforgreed could try to improve and honestly try to reward the community with a successful new Civ family member.
Old April 16, 2003, 15:31   #27
David Murray
Prince

Hmm, I'd like some more time to master this civ game first. Say, about 5 years more at least.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:39   #28
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
If they started working in Civ4 right now, they would have enough time to develop the game without rushing it out the door and also to minimize the number of bugs in the release version.
But you are forgetting that time = money. The longer a program is in development the more it costs. I doubt that Infogrames would be willing to fund a project that was on longer than a standard 18-24 month timeline.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:40   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
I agree with Panag about this issue. First of all Civ III should mature a little bit first as then all of it has been sucked up and the development of Civ IV could be done more conviniently. Civ has never been a game series which has had frequent releases of new titles (excluding expansion packs and prodcuts by Activision). I would expect Civ IV at the earliest in 2005-2006, but maybe later or maybe not at all. None the less, I'm fine with one more expansion pack. However it would have to include quite much new in order to be catchy.
hi ,

a long time ago it was mention by Firaxis that there would be an XP if the sale was good , and they met that number , so lets hope they keep promise , ......

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 18:12   #30
Rasbelin
Emperor

It's going to be interesting to see what they're actually going to include in a new expansion pack. Just more units, a few new concepts and some extra civs like in PtW? Hopefully not as that would be a slight disappointment and it would stink cash. So what I would expect is something like PtW, but abit more advanced. Maybe we get culture flipping back again to please Coracle. Maybe he would then finally come back.