Old April 9, 2003, 23:49   #31
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Not only that, like I said, you're missing the point, they had every right to say no and Americans would have understood but they helped out anyway.
i don't think we understood the french and the germans much. not if it's evidence with the behavior of the run-of-the-mill public, congress, or even the state department.

Quote:
UK carries more political weight around the world than anyone else except for America. The UK brings a certain level of "legitimacy" to political matters.
does it now? does it really? let's see. in terms of economic matters, britain isn't really an important figure out of europe; and the only reason europe really wants britain is because of its strong british pound would certainly give their euro a strong boost.
no, the chinese are very much more influential in economic issues. it's the world's largest market, and you can bet your ass that if the chinese want something done their way, people will follow, whether it's good or not. why else do you think america overlooks some of the nasty things that china does? in america, economics may as well be politics.
how about foreign policy? sure, britain has much respect. indeed, its involvement in this iraq conflict (we haven't declared war, actually~) has brought a bit of legitimacy from the beginning. people remember, however, the suez debacle and the falklands war, neither of which resulted in a favorable political outcome for britain. you must keep in mind, as well, britain has no real way of exerting any of its political force without the united states. it can pressure other countries, but those other countries can easily find other places to go. china, on the other hand, can pressure all of its neighboring countries with military force, if need be; with some of the world's most vibrant and largest economies, that's not a small influence that the chinese could wield.

of course, i could be wrong. i'm willing to bet, however, that this century will belong more to the american-asian interplay rather than a europe which is struggling to hold onto the last vestiges of power and influence it still has.
Old April 9, 2003, 23:50   #32
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Wow, now Russia is western?

Ted is not wrong about the perception of the Uk in the world. The French spend as much as the Uk on its military and its ability to move forces a around is not that far behind the Brtis: the thing is the French have a long history is meddling in their ex-colonies. The Brits left all thier colonies without much issue and have kept thier hands out of the cookie jar as well. They also have the whole Commonwealth and all the meetings and so forth, so Ted is right, the UK is pretty respected out there. In fact, they are more respected, i would say, then the US. The US is stronger, but it has a tainted record like France. The Brits come out out as more upstanding chaps.

The Germans and Japanses are of course bigger, but eve with all thier wealth and size, they currently have little world influence. The Chinese are totally self-centered and withdrawn, while the Russians are out right now.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 9, 2003, 23:50   #33
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 16:26
Tassadar, the fact you live in utah says otherwise
Old April 9, 2003, 23:51   #34
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Wow, now Russia is western?
Nowadays I'd consider them western.

They jumped ship and tried this democracy thang, they're just not very good at it.

MRT: Check your PMs
Old April 9, 2003, 23:53   #35
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nah, I think their leaders are very intelligent right now. They haven't showed any cards yet, or are not about to. They're plaing the game making themselves look like observers but I don't buy it for one second. Putin is intelligent man, maybe the most intelligent of all the leaders now IMO, and he has lots of ambitions and goals he wants to accomplish. And he is on his way right now as we speak, and he is using the backdoor-tactics, showing the true deal when the time is right, or should I say too late for others to say anything about it.

Tass, And of course you know that in the event of us knowing your plans to wipe us out, we'll join NATO?
It's in our plan books, has always been, or at least the last 15 years. We can't win you, but you have to ask yourlsef.. do you really want our God forsaken lands so bad? I didn't think so .
We can make personal non-aggression pact though, I promise not to kill you if we meet in combat, and hide you. You promise to do the same with me?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 10, 2003, 00:03   #36
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
The French spend as much as the Uk on its military and its ability to move forces a around is not that far behind the Brtis: the thing is the French have a long history is meddling in their ex-colonies. The Brits left all thier colonies without much issue and have kept thier hands out of the cookie jar as well. They also have the whole Commonwealth and all the meetings and so forth, so Ted is right, the UK is pretty respected out there. In fact, they are more respected, i would say, then the US. The US is stronger, but it has a tainted record like France. The Brits come out out as more upstanding chaps.

The Germans and Japanses are of course bigger, but eve with all thier wealth and size, they currently have little world influence. The Chinese are totally self-centered and withdrawn, while the Russians are out right now.
Good analysis.

Another thing to add is that Brits own more foreign real estate in the world than even America or Japan. (Unless this has changed in recent years). But they were ahead of the US by about 1 trillion dollars in real estate holdings.

The Marines I talked to this week said the Brits had the best urban warfare units in the world. They also said the Brits were the best at keeping the locals calm.

In addition the Commonwealth, but if you examine all those business and informal ties (the meeting GePap is talking about) the UK still has with all the old colonies around the world, you're aren't going to find another nation that is as skilled at understanding the world political game.

Mis Novias

Last edited by Ted Striker; April 10, 2003 at 00:16.
Old April 10, 2003, 00:12   #37
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i love the UK! im thinking about moving there one day.
Old April 10, 2003, 00:13   #38
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
First ones in on 9-11 too.
That was awesome when they let you land all of those planes at their airports. Real upstanding-like.

Quote:
Well, they could have gone with the Germany-France-Benelux coalition...
I thought Holland was pro-war? Did I dream that?
Old April 10, 2003, 00:16   #39
Pekka
Emperor

mrt144, me too! If my plans fail and I won't get opportunity to live in the US, I might move to UK. We could move in together, we'd be like mini-Russia and mini-Finland, the first frontier. Your room would be Russia, mine Finland, and then we could argue over the bathroom all the time because it would be Karelia?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 10, 2003, 00:19   #40
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
i love the UK! im thinking about moving there one day.
You can be Boddington's Player Understudy.

Then you two can travel around the country like Obi-wan and Luke, bringing hoes back from the darkside.

Mis Novias
Old April 10, 2003, 00:54   #41
Lord Merciless
Warlord

What we need is a federation of english-speaking countries:
US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and maybe India.
Old April 10, 2003, 01:00   #42
GePap
Emperor

Hmmm.

Given New Zealan'd pacifism, India's slide into Hindu fundamentalism, Singapores soft police state and Canada having those French-speakers...

such a league may run into trouble.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 10, 2003, 01:02   #43
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

pekka, youd be one apolytoner i wouldnt mind moving in with. although if you claim the bathroom as your own, youre only deluding yourself into believing the annexation never happened.

Ted, while the idea seems hilarious, i dont think he would be able to put up with a pinko commie liberal(based on the idea that Bodds claims hes centrist) like myself. although i do think the relationship would be like that of Don Quixote, Sancho Panza in nature.
Old April 10, 2003, 03:08   #44
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:26
Whilst Russia is obviously a military power can someone explain how there basket case economy can be considered to be me mor epowerful than the Uk's
Old April 10, 2003, 03:34   #45
Az
Emperor

Quote:
International crime fighting playboy
Old April 10, 2003, 03:36   #46
TheStinger
King

Its an ambition of mine
Old April 10, 2003, 03:44   #47
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Are you Bruce Wayne?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 10, 2003, 03:49   #48
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Are you Bruce Wayne?
Yes
Old April 10, 2003, 03:54   #49
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Hmmm.

Given New Zealan'd pacifism, India's slide into Hindu fundamentalism, Singapores soft police state and Canada having those French-speakers...

such a league may run into trouble.
Have some optimism.
Old April 10, 2003, 03:55   #50
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
What we need is a federation of english-speaking countries:
US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and maybe India.
We already had that - it was called 'The British Empire'. For some reason you guys didn't like it very much.
Old April 10, 2003, 04:04   #51
Az
Emperor

They wanted to be on top, that's all.
Old April 10, 2003, 04:45   #52
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:26
Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

That was awesome when they let you land all of those planes at their airports. Real upstanding-like.

Way too subtle. I don't think Striker has clued in that the first country to come to the aid of the United States after the 9/11 attacks was Canada.

But I kind of agree with his initial theory. The Brits would be the best ally. They're much more reliable than the Yanks.
Old April 10, 2003, 04:49   #53
TheStinger
King

Of course the canadians came to the aid of britain before the yanks in WW2
Old April 10, 2003, 05:08   #54
C0ckney
King

Quote:
The Marines I talked to this week said the Brits had the best urban warfare units in the world. They also said the Brits were the best at keeping the locals calm.
well we've had northern ireland to deal with for the last 30 years, and many of the soldiers who were there in the past were involved in the current war.

great thread btw ted

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old April 10, 2003, 06:12   #55
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

I thought Holland was pro-war? Did I dream that?
Nope you didn't dream it, the Netherlands is pro-war.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old April 10, 2003, 06:42   #56
Seeker
Emperor

Yeah, if it's a British empire it's bad because they supported illegitimate, flimsy, puppet governments with superior firepower....

But the American empire is run by an elected legislature, and has all kinds of professional soldiers, bureaucrats, and missionaries who really, really want to spread the benefits of Western civilization......

...nothing like the british empire, of course...
Old April 10, 2003, 07:10   #57
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

seeker, are you saying the shah wasnt an honest attempt at westernization?
Old April 10, 2003, 07:25   #58
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 23:26
Well as a Brit, I would like to thank the Yanks for all your saving our butt in the past!

BUT the USA has not won a war on the own, which is good thing!
Old April 10, 2003, 08:11   #59
The Viceroy
Prince

India is not sliding into Hindu nationalism, what rubish ! Ive been going to India for many years now, (married to an Indian), and I can tell you the Indian people are strong supporters of the US/UK. The government is still full of people who remember the Imperial past, and who don't feel comftable reflecting these thoughts, but its deeply unpopular (all political parties are in India).

However, I don't believe India is politically ready to join a union with the UK/US .. But the youth of India would !

I am 100% behind your idea Lord Merciless .. and have been a strong advocate of at least economic union between our countries, if not eventually some form of loose polical union. When push comes to shove, Britain would chose the US as a natural ally every time over the EU. We see the EU as important friends, even when we don't agree ..

Unfortunatly all major political parties here in the UK, do not talk about a union with anybody other than the EU, people say its not likely .. but, if you don't talk about it, its not going to ever appear likely !
Old April 10, 2003, 08:43   #60
Jeltz
Settler

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka ...and then we could argue over the bathroom all the time because it would be Karelia?
It wouldn't work. Gas weapons are considered WMDs. You would both disappear after a little visit by the NSA.