Old April 14, 2003, 00:29   #31
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Aha, also found a quote from an old book, Bioastronautics Data Book.

Quote:
"Some degree of consciousness will probably be retained for 9 to 11 seconds (see chapter 2 under Hypoxia). In rapid sequence thereafter, paralysis will be followed by generalized convulsions and paralysis once again. During this time, water vapor will form rapidly in the soft tissues and somewhat less rapidly in the venous blood. This evolution of water vapor will cause marked swelling of the body to perhaps twice its normal volume unless it is restrained by a pressure suit. (It has been demonstrated that a properly fitted elastic garment can entirely prevent ebullism at pressures as low as 15 mm Hg absolute [Webb, 1969, 1970].) Heart rate may rise initially, but will fall rapidly thereafter. Arterial blood pressure will also fall over a period of 30 to 60 seconds, while venous pressure rises due to distention of the venous system by gas and vapor. Venous pressure will meet or exceed arterial pressure within one minute. There will be virtually no effective circulation of blood. After an initial rush of gas from the lungs during decompression, gas and water vapor will continue to flow outward through the airways. This continual evaporation of water will cool the mouth and nose to near-freezing temperatures; the remainder of the body will also become cooled, but more slowly.

"Cook and Bancroft (1966) reported occasional deaths of animals due to fibrillation of the heart during the first minute of exposure to near vacuum conditions. Ordinarily, however, survival was the rule if recompression occurred within about 90 seconds. ... Once heart action ceased, death was inevitable, despite attempts at resuscitation....

[on recompression] "Breathing usually began spontaneously... Neurological problems, including blindness and other defects in vision, were common after exposures (see problems due to evolved gas), but usually disappeared fairly rapidly.

"It is very unlikely that a human suddenly exposed to a vacuum would have more than 5 to 10 seconds to help himself. If immediate help is at hand, although one's appearance and condition will be grave, it is reasonable to assume that recompression to a tolerable pressure (200 mm Hg, 3.8 psia) within 60 to 90 seconds could result in survival, and possibly in rather rapid recovery."
Sounds good. So, no, one won't explode. What do you know, people hung some good spaghetti on my ears all this time.
Spore page
Old April 14, 2003, 02:19   #32
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Strange how they leave out what it does to the eyes.
Old April 14, 2003, 03:34   #33
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe
Strange how they leave out what it does to the eyes.
They included it; the effects are temproary:

Quote:
Neurological problems, including blindness and other defects in vision, were common after exposures (see problems due to evolved gas), but usually disappeared fairly rapidly.
Just close your eyes; your skin and muscles are able to protect them over the time period listed. The radiation would probably be much worse than the vaccuum anyway.
Old April 14, 2003, 08:38   #34
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
space worms would eat everything but the metal seal rings of your space suit. at least that's what happened on a movie i watched years back.
Old April 14, 2003, 10:19   #35
Jack the Bodiless
King

There's a difference between "decompression" and "explosive decompression". If you're breathing air at normal atmospheric pressure and suddenly find yourself in a vacuum, then every square inch of the lining of your lungs will be subject to fifteen pounds of outward pressure. I think this would burst a human ribcage.

But it would have to be rapid, giving no time to reduce the pressure significantly by exhaling. Something like having your spacecraft cut in half by an alien death ray or a passing meteorite.
Old April 14, 2003, 11:08   #36
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

"Something like having your spacecraft cut in half by an alien death ray "

you must have seen the same movie!!!
Old April 14, 2003, 23:41   #37
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:35
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Dying in space is no fun, because no one can hear you scream.
Actually I'd have thought that if you were screaming and you'd managed to get a good lungful of air first, your air molecules would probably be able to reach some auditor's eardrums and therefore they MIGHT be able to hear you screaming if of course they weren't themselves also screaming as their bodies underwent the same depressurization as your own because while they were straining to hear your screams in their distracted schadenfreude they had forgotten to put on their vacuum suit.

My housemate used to claim to be a TIE Fighter pilot and these sort of arguments were pretty common.
Old April 14, 2003, 23:46   #38
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

fun for who?
For the people who can't hear you screaming, silly!
Old April 14, 2003, 23:48   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
My housemate used to claim to be a TIE Fighter pilot and these sort of arguments were pretty common.
How did you arrange his demise?
Old April 15, 2003, 00:25   #40
Lung
King

Local Time: 09:35
This reminds me of a well-known sci-fi movie flaw. In Mission to Mars, Tim Robbins instantly freezes when he lifts his helmet visor in psace.

Interestingly, he should have taken a few thousand years to freeze, as the lack of molecules in space mean it would take a loooong time to transfer his body heat into space. I know someone has already covered this, but with movies perpetuating these myths, it's no surprise that they are as popular as they are. http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/m2mreview.html
Old April 15, 2003, 00:31   #41
KrazyHorse
Deity

He probably would have frozen pretty quickly. First off, if he was actually on mars then there is an atmosphere. Enough of one the facilitate heat transfer. Secondly, the boiling of his bodily fluids would have also grabbed a bunch of heat from him. Thirdly, radiative heat loss is significant in the medium term (minutes and hours).

Now, admittedly Mars' atmosphere is occasionally above freezing, but most of the time it's pretty cold (ambient is ~-70 IIRC.)

I don't know how long it would have taken to freeze, but it wouldn't be measured in years.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 15, 2003, 03:14   #42
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
If your suit still has containment in the helmet, they'll be able to hear your screams over the radio.

If the radio is not working, and you can make your way over to the other person, your can touch your helmet and theirs and enough vibration should be able to cross the point of contact for the other person to hear your screams.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 15, 2003, 06:31   #43
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 01:35
I have always wondered what happens first if you release a cup of liquid water into space: does it freeze instantly into a large ice chunk or does it first vaporize and then freeze to small ice crystals?
Old April 15, 2003, 07:24   #44
Illyrien
Settler

Local Time: 00:35
a body in space would explode due to the presure from within the body (in the same way that deep sea wish explode when you pull them to the surface)

After that all of your fluids would boil off into space, leaving a little behind.
Old April 15, 2003, 10:45   #45
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

How did you arrange his demise?
He's still alive and well and kicking around Beijing somewhere executing Yoshis with a large laser sighted shotgun.
Old April 15, 2003, 13:36   #46
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
Um...right.

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 15, 2003, 13:49   #47
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Freeze-drying is a very good way to treat a dead body- by far the most energy-efficient transfer of nutrients back to nature if/when it's allowed to decompose (certainly more so than the counterproductive burial and the extremely wasteful cremation).