Old April 15, 2003, 03:31   #31
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, no bad news.... now to the other settler - East, West or South? When I get a clue on how we all want things, I aim to move a few turns in those broad directions until I encounter a river, specials, coast, a hut, another civ(!) or until 3-4 turns have passed, whatever happens.

Does anyone believe that wandering for as much as 5 turns before founding is really bad?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	firstb.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	42550  

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 15, 2003, 05:40   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:38
I think we should move the second settler west.
Old April 15, 2003, 08:06   #33
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 17:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

You won't find any Settlers in huts if you still have a NON Settler active on the same continent... and you won't find any advanced Tribes until you place a city.(..)
Those two things happen to me!

Eidt: It didn't happen tiwce, sorry...
Old April 15, 2003, 09:01   #34
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:38
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Does anyone believe that wandering for as much as 5 turns before founding is really bad?
No.

but...

This is a custom map with hardly any ocean. Does it have any specials? Rivers? I suppose we don't know, and that makes it harder. On a random map, we can be pretty sure of finding something decent if we look a few turns.

That said, because we've limited ourselves to 15 cities or so, we want to choose the sites carefully. Normally, with a start like we have now, I'd ICS and aim to put down 15-25 cities by 0 AD.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 15, 2003, 11:35   #35
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

there is nothing wrong with wandering 5-10 turns before founding if you find a special of some sort or even a river. the extra trade or production or food would be made up easily by the better tile being worked.

I agree with 6kyom, not founding a city with the 2nd settler (you get them by default on diety) is wasting the settler. the game will give you nomads from huts only if you have fewer than 1 none settler per 8 cities.

With reguards to wandering, atawa seemed to indicate that there won't be much ocean at all (large flat map, single continent, with adequate rivers) so might not be that many rivers either. Anyone know how close to a pole we are? (we might get some ocean if we are close)

back to work, may comment more later
Old April 15, 2003, 11:54   #36
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:

You won't find any Settlers in huts if you still have a NON Settler active on the same continent... and you won't find any advanced Tribes until you place a city. That was demonstrated by solo, IIRC.
You wont find any settlers but I've found an advanced capitol many times. (2x2x king MP, might make a difference)

I would wonder some more untill we find a river or tradespecial.
Move the second settler east, there might be silk or phesant in those forrests

Oh and I agree with building the second city, the shields and food you save from the NON settler never outways the extra production/food and trade from a second city.
Old April 15, 2003, 11:57   #37
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:38
Quote:
This is a custom map with hardly any ocean. Does it have any specials? Rivers? I suppose we don't know, and that makes it harder. On a random map, we can be pretty sure of finding something decent if we look a few turns.
all maps in Civ2 have specials,you can only toggle the option for no huts.The specials are saven as 1 number for a random generator and therefor are always present.(no way to get rid of them or place them on specific spots)

I suggest not to look to long before founding our first city,there is no real hope for oceans,maybe there will be some rivers,but w'll find hem when we explore.

Shade
Old April 15, 2003, 12:05   #38
shade
King

Local Time: 00:38
woeps...DP
Old April 15, 2003, 12:18   #39
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by shade

all maps in Civ2 have specials,you can only toggle the option for no huts.The specials are saven as 1 number for a random generator and therefor are always present.(no way to get rid of them or place them on specific spots)
I was sort of thinking 'get off the grassland'... we won't find any specials there. And if it's a premade map, it could be mostly grassland - thus, few specials (other than hidden ones).

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 15, 2003, 20:42   #40
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

let's have a few turns played
Old April 15, 2003, 20:55   #41
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 15:38
West & North:doitnow:
Old April 15, 2003, 22:47   #42
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:38
Ok.. just let me get home from work and I'll wander North and East a few turns.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 16, 2003, 01:58   #43
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Ok.. just let me get home from work and I'll wander North and East a few turns.
Don't wander too long. There's not much for the hoi poloi to complain about until we have at least 1 city founded.

RJM at Sleepers
Old April 17, 2003, 00:57   #44
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
since we won't be using a SSC city, each city only needs food and shields, wander a bit 3-5 turns, keep the sets close together and plop em both down....build two horsemen to explore and then build sets out of both...then two warriors