Old April 14, 2003, 19:51   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Do you debate to the bitter end?
We all know sometimes long debates tend to end in insults or at least with more tensions between the "combattants". What´s your tactic in such cases - do you try to "win" a debate at all costs when you´re convinced of your arguments? Or only in specific circumstances? If so, what are these - topics, other posters you try to "defeat"?

I hardly participate much in big debates here at Poly. Some posts here and there, but most of the time I read (say lurker if you want ). However, sometimes I debate through several pages of a thread in German forums (where I of course feel more secure in the language, esp. when it comes to specific terms needed for the discussion).

I always think it is a strange period of the discussion when both sides are getting more and more provoked. Often insults at eachother are very close then. I personally try to avoid insults most of the time (although I enjoy a mild from of trolling sometimes ), not because I´m such a nice guy, but because I think they usually mark the end of any serious debate. On the other hand I see no reason "to give up" when I think I have the better arguments. However, sometimes even then I get a bad feeling of myself when I argue another person to the death (esp. when I have the impression this person lacks the knowledge to keep up)

What type of debater are you - do rather back up, even if you think you´re right, because you see no sense in continuing a debate full of insults? Or do you try to "win"? Or something in between?
Old April 14, 2003, 20:03   #2
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

I am mostly a lurker here also

Because of time&interest constraints, but I like to read.

About "going to the end", I never do.

If a debate is serious, both parties have to approach it in good faith, which is rarely the case. Actually someone said your first sentence should be "what can I do to prove you wrong?" and if the answer is "nothing" then stop debating

About insults and stuff, well ofcourse one has to distinguish between forum culture, which is different on every forum and on AOT includes a fair amount of teasing and trolling, and real insults meant to hmmm, well, insult

When the second happenes, what I do on usenet is I filter. On apolyton I do not filter since I tolerate much more 'noise' in the signal here, to be technical

Oh, and I might say, I am rarely interesting in arguing about USA. We need more other stuff here
Old April 14, 2003, 20:07   #3
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Btw., I sometimes considered debating for the sake of debating so the plan was take one random side in a random debate and see if I can pull it out.

Play Advocatus Diaboli. Maybe someday when I have time. Would be a great practice I guess, but the downside is I don't want to be associated with some dumb idea I don't care about
Old April 14, 2003, 20:10   #4
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Until that point or until I am proven wrong, which I never am

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 14, 2003, 20:21   #5
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 23:42
I very seldom argue to the bitter end unless I perceive that someone really wants to know the truth or at least learn something new. Usually it seems that people just want to have a battle of wits. That can be fun but it gets tiring. Eithered, and others (I can't recall now) would fill up 300 posts arguing over some trivial point. I never knew him to concede anything ever. I would hate to be married to someone as stubborn as that.
Old April 14, 2003, 20:21   #6
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Btw., I sometimes considered debating for the sake of debating so the plan was take one random side in a random debate and see if I can pull it out.
Yeah, sometimes I act similar, esp. when there´s a debate where a bunch of people with the same opinion go after only one or two opponents. Then I sometimes even take positions I wouldn´t take normally because I think it is better for the debate than all agreeing with eachother. It is also a good method to "probe" the knowledge of the other posters.

However, at some point I make sure they get my real POV to avoid confusion
Old April 14, 2003, 20:23   #7
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:42
I never try to win an argument I just state what I think and why I think it, whilst questioning the proposed alternatives. I normally leave when it becomes repetitive or derails into insults.
Old April 14, 2003, 20:23   #8
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
I get bored. After all when someone posts the same objection you've already dealt with over and over again, it gets really sour.

*gloom*
Old April 14, 2003, 20:50   #9
JCG
Prince

My half-lurker status prevents me from doing so. And anyways, I usually prefer to give up when I realize I'm facing stone walls.
Old April 14, 2003, 20:55   #10
yavoon
Warlord

I like how everyone in this thread is not only correct, but also patient and willing to teach the heathans of their ways.

its so great to have such a devoted group of right ppl around.
Old April 14, 2003, 20:58   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I'll stop posting once it has degenerated enough.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 14, 2003, 21:11   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I generally post my point, and am done until there is something new to discuss in the thread. I have no need to defend my point at all costs, because it is self-evident I am right
More seriously, I can acknowledge my mistakes. I accept the fact that I am not always right, despite my delusions
Old April 14, 2003, 21:24   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Of course I never do. Why would I waste my time on such an issue?
Old April 14, 2003, 21:32   #14
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
I like how everyone in this thread is not only correct, but also patient and willing to teach the heathans of their ways.

Lo, the pot speaketh to the kettle.

As for myself, I debate to the bitter end of my attention span, and no further. When the conversation turns into a flamewar or starts going in circles, or if I just feel like doing something else, I do it. Seeing as my opinion on these pages will not be implemented, in all likelihood, by anyone in a position of power, I just stop and go. Makes things more pleasant that way.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 14, 2003, 21:40   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

It depends on how much I can be arsed to care.
Old April 14, 2003, 21:40   #16
yavoon
Warlord

I sed nothing about when I stop debating. cuz really it could be ne # of reasons. the kettle needs to find someone new to play w/
Old April 14, 2003, 22:27   #17
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon

I guess it is time that someone starts throwing insults at you for this post ...
Old April 14, 2003, 22:29   #18
yavoon
Warlord

I suppose it was inevitable bebro.
Old April 14, 2003, 22:29   #19
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yavoon you suck