View Poll Results: What would compel you to quit a game of Civ?
NOTHING! Not until foreign armies march through my capital! 6 16.67%
Well, if I lose one or more of my core cities... 3 8.33%
If some screwhead beats me to key wonders that I want... 2 5.56%
Only if I'm hopelessly outclassed in every way. 17 47.22%
If my girlfriend threatens to dump me... 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18, 2003, 17:03   #31
MPatton
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The last one I quit. Everyone wanted a piece of me, I was going nowhere fast, also they stuck me next to the worlds most powerful nations, I could not get some iron within a reasonable time and generally having a bad time, cause they put it freaking far away. This also when I realized that raging hordes on upper levels is a bad idea cause every open space I went was barbarians. Basically it was a stalemate and stalemates stink
Old April 19, 2003, 19:01   #32
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I haven't quit (when losing, that is) for quite some time... for a while there, I had a knack for getting into MASSIVE trouble, completely unrecoverable.

I still get into sticky situations with KAIs sometimes, but have learned much more about manipulating the AI civs, and can usually come back against about anything.

Believe me, I'll be the first to tell the story if the AI civs give me an *ss-whupping!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 24, 2003, 11:06   #33
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

I am beginning to "stick it out" a lot more often. In my last two games, I've been sneak-attacked 3 times, and each time I was able to turn an attack, once by a more powerful force than I, into total success.

I even lost Sun Tzu's to the Spanish (my most hated AI after Carthage). Losing a wonder? Not too long ago that would have prompted my ctrl+shift+Q. But persevering and counter-attacking, I regained SunTzu's, and as a sort of bonus gift, Spain itself.
Old April 24, 2003, 23:19   #34
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:43
Reminds me of an old Civ 2 attitude I had:

What??!! You DARE declare war on ME! Well, for stopping my pure building style and forcing me into war mode, I'll just relieve you of your obligations to manage your cities.

Carried this attitude into Civ 3, though it's not as easy to enforce all the time.
Old April 25, 2003, 10:40   #35
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

That's true. But it's still doable.

Let them hate so long as they fear.
Old April 25, 2003, 11:55   #36
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I somethimes quit when I'm winning too easily but it'll take hours of play to get to the end and i want to start another one/
Old April 25, 2003, 16:22   #37
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:43
My current game (France, Huge world, 60% water, continents, max # of civs) my initial exploration of the world found me wedged in a sliver of land between every Militaristic civ in the game. Normally, this would have prompted a restart, but I decided to try to stick this one out.

What it meant is that I have had to be a lot more aggressive than I normally like to be. I quickly decided that in order to get any peace with yahoos like that as neighbors, I was going to have to take over the entire continent, one civ at a time. It's a VERY different game for me, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I've found that in spite of the fact that my military focus has prevented me from developing my land nearly to the degree I'm accustomed to and I've barely built any wonders at all, I'm leagues ahead of where I would normally be in techs at this time in the game and I've already got more GLs after taking over a third of the continent than I ever have gotten in a game before. I feel like the bad start forced me to change my playing style, and as a result I am playing the best I've ever played.
Old April 25, 2003, 23:59   #38
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:43
Luke...come over to the darkside.

Actually, you'll find that warring and winning is the easiest way to win.
Old April 26, 2003, 16:20   #39
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Ubergeek, you will soon find yourself using this more and more often!!

It's when this becomes somebody's favorite that I start to get worried.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 26, 2003, 17:35   #40
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

Ubergeek, you will soon find yourself using this more and more often!!

It's when this becomes somebody's favorite that I start to get worried.
Well, I'm not sure. My empire is so huge that turns are taking FOREVER. I will probably go back to my normal, peaceful style, except that I now know better how and when to wage, um, "preventive wars."
Old April 27, 2003, 05:51   #41
sgrig
Warlord

I usually quit in 3 cases:
1) If early on something goes badly wrong and by the end of Ancient Age I'm overrun by a technologically and numerically superior enemy - then I usually don't wait to be completely destroyed, and quit. However a few times I fought to the bitter end - not that it was much fun seeing Spearmen trampled into ground by Knights!
2) When playing on a huge map, and if I'm rather passive early on, so that by Modern Age there are a number of civs which are very similar in strength and technology to me, then turns take far too long, and so I quit and call this "stalemate"
3) If I'm by far the most dominant civ in the world, but bored with lots of micromanagement and long turn times, then I quit.

So I would agree that I quit when game stops being fun.