Old April 15, 2003, 19:51   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Download Helper - NOT Helpful
I tried to go into the Multiplayer section of PtW, and it launched the so-called "Download Helper" to upgrade me to 1.21f - and kicked me out of the game. Repeated attempts produce the same result: I can't get into multiplayer. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a workaround?

Also, is it safe to load PBEM games in 1.14f from the main screen's "Load" option?

Nathan
Old April 15, 2003, 21:22   #2
mjmacy
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 17:45
Yes nbarclay, I am having the same problems. It is very upsetting. I do not want to up grade, I have things the way I want them, but I can't find a way around it.

Someone Please HELP us
"Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"
Old April 15, 2003, 22:00   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:45
I have run into the same problem with the "Living Large" PBEM game I'm currently playing. It will not let me launch Multiplayer to load the PBEM save (since I have to play with version 1.14 because we have European players in our game). I ended up launching the game via "Load Game" option instead of the "Multiplayer" option. Everything seemed to work fine - I wasn't able to "spy" on other players starting postions. So it looks like in order to continue a PBEM game, you need to launch the game through the "Load Game" option and not the "Multiplayer" option. If you try to launch the game through the "Multiplayer" option, the Autobot kicks in and starts upgrading to the latest version.

Since players outside the US don't have the latest patch yet, hopefully they will disable this autoupdate "feature."
Old April 16, 2003, 04:17   #4
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You can load the game via the "Multiplayer" option if you are off line before launching PTW.
Old April 16, 2003, 11:55   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, that's a pain for those of us with a permanent internet connection (ie, DSL, Cable).
Old April 16, 2003, 13:30   #6
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:45
Ive got a horrible sinking feeling that the patch that its trying to download is not the uk/europe version, but instead the american version. Im pretty sure that if the euro patch got released my fellow europeans would be shouting it from the rooftops. I have no desire to have to scrub civ from my hard disk and start over so have any europeans tried it yet?
And if this isnt the long awaited euro patch, and indeed it will mess civ up if i download it, does anyone know a way around it so I can play MP?
Old April 16, 2003, 13:35   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Snotty, it looks like you (along with our European players) are screwed for the time being.

Here is the excerpt from Dan Q's Apolyton News:

Quote:
MULTIPLAYER RESTRICTION BY PATCH

(16 April 2003, 10:11 | Civ3) Unless you are running a version 1.21f patched United States version of Civilization III: Play The World, you will not be able to hook-up for multiplayer games via the CivIII expansion pack`s official service, GameSpy Arcade. As first reported by Voyager`s Site earlier today, users who do not meet this criteria and attempt to engage in multiplayer action in CivIII: PTW will be met with an error message prompting them to download the latest patch. Those with the European Enligh, French, German and Italian versions of the add-on can only upgrade to v1.14f and are as such shutout of such engagements.

To date, no comments have been publicized by developer Firaxis Games or the parent or any national division of publisher Infogrames. - DanQ
Old April 16, 2003, 13:39   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Like Astrologix already stated, the only possible way around this is to be offline prior to launching the game. Once in the game (after clicking on Multiplayer), reconnect your internet connection. But I don't know if this will actually work or not.
Old April 16, 2003, 13:41   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
Quote:
quote:
MULTIPLAYER RESTRICTION BY PATCH

(16 April 2003, 10:11 | Civ3) Unless you are running a version 1.21f patched United States version of Civilization III: Play The World, you will not be able to hook-up for multiplayer games via the CivIII expansion pack`s official service, GameSpy Arcade. As first reported by Voyager`s Site earlier today, users who do not meet this criteria and attempt to engage in multiplayer action in CivIII: PTW will be met with an error message prompting them to download the latest patch. Those with the European Enligh, French, German and Italian versions of the add-on can only upgrade to v1.14f and are as such shutout of such engagements.

To date, no comments have been publicized by developer Firaxis Games or the parent or any national division of publisher Infogrames. - DanQ

I'm sorry to say that IMO civ3 and PtW have pretty much been a fiasco on various levels from start to finish.

:worried: I'm starting to sound like coracle
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 16, 2003, 13:46   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

You are right though Spencer, having the automatic download was a bad move when everybody doesn't have the option of having the same version of the game...What were they thinking?!
Old April 16, 2003, 15:20   #11
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Hey, maybe the next US-only patch will fix the problem. Wouldn't that be helpful?
Old April 16, 2003, 19:25   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

@ David
Old April 17, 2003, 02:51   #13
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:45
Ah excellent. It appears to have resolved itself. Now if only I can convince my girlfriend to go out of town for another night....