Old April 16, 2003, 07:50   #1
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is the expansion (Alien Crossfire) worth it?
I enjoyed AC for a while when it was first released, but for some reason got a bit distracted and moved one. Now I am rediscovering it and enjoying beating the crap out of Miriam and lal : .

However, I don't have the expansion pack (Alien Crossfire) and I am wondering if it is worth getting. Does it add much to the game or can I get as much our of a free player-made mod? What is extra?
Old April 16, 2003, 07:54   #2
Rogan Josh
Prince

Good God! I just looked on Amazon, and they have the price as "from $99.00"
Old April 16, 2003, 08:13   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That shows you how much people want it. It turns a great game into a FANTASTIC game, at least that's what some say. I don't like a couple of the new techs, but...

The Alien X-fire expansion is absolute gold dust. If you can get it, the do so, or you'll always regret it. And if you don't like it, you can easily sell it on for a profit. Easily.

Buy Now !

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 16, 2003, 09:19   #4
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:46
I'm not sure I'd personally buy it for $100, but the expansion certainly takes this great game to a whole new level, IMO.

You get 7 new factions, plus a built in factions editor, plus new faction options like aquatic or alien

New techs
New Unit ability
New Secret Projects
New alien lifeforms

It's the same game, just more of it.
Old April 16, 2003, 10:05   #5
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Definately a worthy extra to buy.
Damn you were being serious about the price, eesh talk about the laws of supply and demand.
I just love rubbing it in that i got my smax free when i bought AC

Go download it from somewhere ... cant remember if we're allowed to mention where or not since it is illegal
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 16, 2003, 10:59   #6
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Go download it from somewhere ... cant remember if we're allowed to mention where or not since it is illegal
Well, I am definitely not buying it for $99.....
Old April 16, 2003, 11:45   #7
Uchuu-kun[SM42]
Chieftain

Well, you know the rules about that sort of thing. Anyways, SMAX was the underdog of the line, which is why it's so rare [and expensive! Yeesh!] Wish I could get an image of the CD so I could burn it or something. I really want the SP movies...
Old April 16, 2003, 13:43   #8
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

I love SMAX, but the price is too high, you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere in Europe.
Old April 16, 2003, 14:03   #9
Uchuu-kun[SM42]
Chieftain

What? What I said wasn't enough of a hint? Maybe if I do boldface and underline, and put 'em in bright orange...
Old April 16, 2003, 15:00   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

you should provide an url to the overcats

-Jam
Old April 16, 2003, 15:08   #11
cbarrett
Settler

Yes!
Yes it is definitely worth it, especially if you loved SMAC as much as I did. I got incredibly lucky. I found it in the used software section of Electronics Boutique for $7.99.
Old April 16, 2003, 15:29   #12
spartak
King

Its excellent...
Old April 16, 2003, 15:33   #13
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

i'm waiting for some1 to post that the url doesn't work
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 16, 2003, 15:38   #14
spartak
King

Hopefully we have more sense...
Old April 16, 2003, 19:06   #15
Jamski
Deity

I'm not soooo dumb to post a real link. Marko would boot my bum

-Jam
Old April 17, 2003, 00:17   #16
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:46
I bought SMAC full price when it came out.

I bought SMAX full price when that came out.

Later, I thought for one gut wrenching week that I had lost them, and so I bought a copy of Planetary Pack full price.

Each single one of these outlays was well worth it. I cannot stress that enough.

Other games by similar game designers have been proven to be not worth the plastic of the CD itself. But I digress. SMAX is faithful, SMAX is true, and SMAX won't let you down.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:13   #17
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Yes. Even at $99.00 US. Yes.
Old April 17, 2003, 03:01   #18
spartak
King

Well, maybe not at $99 but its still worth getting your hands on a copy somehow...
Old April 17, 2003, 03:42   #19
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Uchuu-kun[SM42]
What? What I said wasn't enough of a hint? Maybe if I do boldface and underline, and put 'em in bright orange...
Thanks for the advice, but for those of us not used to these things it might have been useful to point out that AC + Alien Xfire are not only underdogs, but are the underdogs.
Old April 17, 2003, 07:39   #20
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I always look in Electronics Boutique discount or used section for further copies as I know people search for the games.

SMAX is worth it and achieving the Alien victory is good fun.
Old April 17, 2003, 22:27   #21
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:46
Money: temporary. SMAX: entertaining. Usurpers: kick-ass.
Old April 18, 2003, 04:27   #22
Jamski
Deity

What's $99 buy you these days anyway? A couple of pairs of pants? 8 trips to the movies. I'd rather have SMAX than 8 trips to the movies. I always complain about the film anyway, or tell everyone who cares how it was ripped off from (insert classic movies here) Buying a game is a good investment - especially if the game is as good as SMAX

Just my 99 dollars worth

-Jam
Old April 18, 2003, 11:00   #23
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

My elderly laptop (almost) munched my SMAX cd, prompting me to install the crack. However, I did take that as a divine message to get a backup SMAX CD, which I did. Copy protection prevents me from making a backup, which is more than irritating.

Did the Brit company (forgot the name) stop selling SMAX? I bought my replacement copies from them for less than $10 US/each a year+ ago. Shipping was extra, so I bought 2.
Old April 18, 2003, 23:32   #24
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:46
My brother found a way to crack the SMAX protection and we have a few copies lying around the house just in case we have accidents.

I paid the makers my money for it twice and I enjoyed their game a lot. I can't bear to think what would happen if I broke a real copy and couldn't get another one, courtesy of EA's "inspired" limited edition run idea.