Old April 17, 2003, 01:03   #1
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Egyptian Independence
This is my first story on Apolyton. I posted this on Civfanatics and it got good reveiws. This story is based on my first game of Civ3. This game didn't get very far, as you shall see. I hope you enjoy it. I originally hadn't planned to make it a series; I will post the second part in a minute.

I hope you enjoy it.

Khnemhotep looked out the window at the vast city. Thebes had just become the newest colony of the Roman Empire. He remembered the years of weekly pummeling on the walls of Thebes, and tales of earlier times, like when the Persians stole the only Iron deposit in Egyptian territory. The way the Germans and their Roman Allies slowly advanced, burning city after city in their wake, slaughtering thousands.

Khnemhotep walked over to his desk, and grabbed the chair roughly. He tried to calm himself down, running through the relaxation techniques he had learned in his military training. His blood was boiling beneath his skin. Just as he realized the techniques weren’t working, he let out an almighty bellow of rage, and threw the chair against the wall.

He took a few deep breaths at this, and began to relax. I mustn’t be so loud, he chastised himself. They don’t yet know I’m here, and I’d rather it stay that way.

He picked up a quill, and wrote.

Winter Solstice, 810 AD

Looking back, it’s hard to believe that it was just three days ago that Thebes was a free state. Two days ago, the Romans mounted their final assault on Thebes. Entire Legions swarmed toward the walls, and after so long of holding them back, The Spearmen were vanquished. The Trebuchet operators were mowed down like grain, and the Roman forces swarmed into the capitol, towards the palace. My mother had hidden me in the safe house beforehand, and I could only imagine at that point what was happening to her.

Yesterday, I was able to see everything that went on in front of the ruined palace. Someone announced the arrival of someone named “Our Emperor, Julius Caesar.” I nearly died laughing, the guy was wearing a crown of ferns, and they appeared to be local.

All I’ll say is that the “good” emperor is going to have a nasty rash above his ears.

Caesar began to speak. He had a thick Roman accent, so it was hard to understand completely. He was basically announcing the end of Egyptian independence, asserting his authority, blah blah blah. That much was expected.

He then motioned for something or someone behind him to be brought forward. He was saying something about an example as two Legionnaires brought someone into the sunlight. My heart caught in my chest, as I realized who it was: my mother, Cleopatra.

Caesar then shouted out, “This is your immortal leader?” and plunged his sword into her chest.

Her last scream ripped my heart in two.

Khnemhotep paused then, because he had heard a small *snap*. He looked around frantically and grabbed his axe, thinking that someone was there. He then realized he had done it, as he was still holding a snapped quill. He also realized that he was crying. These were not blinding tears, but just a constant stream of tears, that would not stop.

He looked back at the Journal, and finished with one line:

One day, I will lead a rebellion of the Egyptian people, and on that day, I will kill Julius Caesar.

He then looked at his axe for a moment. With grim resolve, he began packing some supplies. The tears were gone now, replaced by a fire. He finally picked up his bow and arrow, and with one last look back, was gone.

He had left his journal behind.

Last edited by Reddwarfian; April 17, 2003 at 01:11.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:04   #2
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Chapter 2

Khnemhotep was amazed and disappointed that he wasn't spotted as he made his way to the ruined wall. Roman security was obviously lax in the city, or at least in the suburbs, and he was hungering for Roman blood.

People spotted him in the streets, but they were Egyptian. They chose to turn a blind eye to him. He is obviously going to stir up some trouble for the Romans, they thought, I won‘t stop him. Still, with his bearskin cloak, axe tucked in his belt, and alligator gauntlet, he must have been fearsome.

As Khnemhotep got to the wall, he heard something, and saw something moving in the shadows beyond the wall. He ducked behind a big rock, probably a projectile from the Catapults or a piece of the wall, and listened.

“—Egyptians—some fight,” one of the figures said in Latin, and barely audible because of distance.

“—sure did—killed—half of our forces,” another whispered, also in Latin.

“Those—went down in the end, though,” spoke the first, and raucous laughter filled the air.

Khnemhotep sneered, Those b@atards are laughing like it was nothing! he thought. He felt ready to leap out, and rip their throats out, but thought better. He waited until they had passed, and then charged at them. He swung as hard as he could with his stone axe, and connected with the back of a helmet.

A loud CRASH filled the air, as a huge dent appeared in the helmet of the unfortunate legionnaire, and he crumpled.

The other one turned and retaliated for his fallen comrade. His sword was swung in a wide arc, and connected with the axe. The axe had had enough. It shattered. The Legionnaire, overbalanced by the yielding nature of the stone, saw, but was unable to do anything about the fist coming towards his face.

With a loud CRUMPH, The legionnaire went down. Hard.

Khnemhotep thanked his gauntlet, now sporting a few drops of the legionnaire’s blood, and quickly grabbed his fallen opponent’s weapons. His axe was a total loss, now nothing more than a club.

He looked at the sky, and tried to figure out which way he needed to go. It was early morning, and the Sun was just peeking over the horizon.

He headed East, away from Thebes, and headed to the German controlled City of Memphis.

The Captain of the Royal Legions walked through the military headquarters in Thebes. He was scared; most had gotten punishments far worse than a tongue lashing for better news than the news he bore.

He came up to the door, steeled himself, and knocked.

“Come in,” spoke a voice from inside.

The Captain opened the door, and saw Julius Caesar perusing over some maps.

“Ah, Claudius,” he said, “do you have him?”

Claudius decided to get it over with. “The safe house was empty. All that was found was a broken quill, and this,” and he placed Khnemhotep’s journal on the table.

Caesar looked angry, but Claudius continued, “It should also be known sir, that two members of the Royal Legions were attacked this morning during their patrol of the outer wall.

Caesar was now on his way to livid. He looked at the last few lines of written text in the journal, and spoke in a calm voice that was more powerful than any yelling he could have done, “I was expecting good news,” he paused to let this sink in, “And yet you bring me bad news. Terrible news, even, because you let a man get away, who wants so dearly to see me dead. Is this what your telling me?”

Claudius nodded.

“THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!” Julius screamed, “FIND HIM!! NOW!!!”

Claudius squeaked a “Yessir” before he fled.

Caesar looked back at the map, and considered sending a letter of congratulations to Otto von Bismarck, applauding him on a war well executed. He looked again at the map, and thought …and possibly to Shaka, to thank him for his use as a target for Egyptian troops. I may even give him some cash to help rebuild his empire.

A German man came into the German Palace. “Sire!”

Bismarck looked up from his board game. “Ah Hans! What news on the war?”

Hans looked exhausted. “The Egyptians are no longer an independent state. Thebes has fallen to Roman troops.”

“Excel—” Bismarck broke off, “What was that?”

“I said Thebes is now in roman hands.”

Bismarck said, “Caesar is going to hand over control of Thebes, right?”

“I—”

“We had agreed on it. If he dragged me into this war, I would get Thebes!” Bismarck thought for a moment, and said, “Ready my chariot, and alert the 10th Swordsman division in Memphis. Tell them to meet me in Thebes.

Hans looked worried, but agreed.

As Hans left the Throne room, he was scared. We just finished the last war, he thought, Do we really have to jump right into another?

Please tell me what you think.

Last edited by Reddwarfian; April 17, 2003 at 01:15.
Old April 18, 2003, 10:13   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Welcome to poly Reddwarfian, I like the story so far please keep it coming.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old April 19, 2003, 01:18   #4
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Chapter 3

Khnemhotep took a gulp from his water skin. He wiped his forehead with his arm, and brought it back dripping with sweat.

“Being winter doesn’t mean a thing in this desert,” he said aloud. With no one around for miles, save the occasional trader, he had become used to talking to himself. “Why am I even going to Memphis, anyway?”

“Because I want the New Egypt to have more than one city when it is born.” He answered.

“Oh, yeah. I’ve been traveling for over three days. Shouldn’t I be there yet?

“It should be in sight soon. Cheops will be happy to see I survived the fall of Thebes.”

“Where will Cheops be, anyway?”

“Is he even alive?”

“Good Question.” He then realized he was holding a conversation with himself. He took another swig from his water skin. He said “The heat must be getting to me,” and fell silent.

Cheops was scared. He was alone in the city, at night. He was the only true Egyptian he could see, and armed only with a bow and arrow. He heard something behind him, and ducked into an alley. He was half scared out of his wits, but managed to ready an arrow.

Three German swordsmen staggered by, laughing.

“So Bishmark is coming here?” said one.

“He’ll be here in a few weeks,” said another.

“Why’z that fat buzzard coming here? We didn’t do anything wrong.”

“He told us to meet him in Thebes. Says he’s got something special planned for us.”

“You no whit I think?” The third finally piped up, “I think that this Dummkopf thinks we’re just sittin’ on our duffs all day, and not doing a thing! Well that’s one big load of sssssssssshhh…”

Cheops then heard the sound of a body hitting the ground, and the hysterical laughing came to his ears. He sighed. Even though Cheops didn’t understand a word of German, he could tell they were obviously drunk from the celebration of an odd German Holiday called ‘Christmas.’ This holiday, from what Cheops had observed, entitled trading gifts in the morning, and getting slobbering drunk that night. The was thankful that they hadn’t spotted him in their drunken state.

He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard a sound right behind him, and spun around.

…And found a Roman sword pointed at his throat.

Bismarck placed a final flourish on a letter that he had been writing. He called Hans over to him, and gave the parchment to him. “Post this.”

Hans began to roll up the message, and wrap cloth around it. “Who is it for, Milord?”

“It’s for Caesar. But don’t send it to him just yet.”

“Why not?”

“Because,” Bismarck grinned evilly, “I am going to give Caesar one more chance to surrender Thebes before I declare war.”

“War?” The word stung Hans’ throat to say it, “You’re going to attack them, then.”

“If they don’t give me what they want, then yes.”

“As you wish, sir,” Hans said, and returned the note to Bismarck. He excused himself from Bismarck’s tent.

He looked back, and looked the warmongering fool for the last time. He then turned, and walked away from camp. He began to make his way back through the Alps, to Germany.

He had made up his mind, and before he did anything, he had to make sure his family was safe from his own people.
Old April 19, 2003, 01:38   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Great build up here please keep it coming.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old April 19, 2003, 11:10   #6
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 18:50
Yes, indeed, very nice style and skill here. More!
Old April 26, 2003, 15:14   #7
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Sorry, everyone, but I have a full Schedule, and I'm not going to be able to update much. It will be updated this weekend, though.
Old April 26, 2003, 15:48   #8
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Good stuff in terms of action- how about building on those characters? Let's find out what makes them tick.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:15   #9
Easthaven I
Prince

Local Time: 17:50
Good story so far. Will be waiting for the next installment...
Old April 27, 2003, 22:16   #10
Civ3King
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:50
I was reading this over at civfantics. It's very good, please keep going.

"Too many ties with too many people will get you in a knot."
- Me
Old April 28, 2003, 22:18   #11
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Thanks everybody, and sorry for the delay.

Lazarus, that's the kind of Constructive Criticism I was looking for. Thank you. I will try to post more often.

Chapter 4

Cheops leaped backwards, and fell to the ground; his bow went off, uselessly firing into the wall. He stared fearfully at the sword, and scooted backwards as the figure holding the sword advanced. Desperately, he scooted out of the alley, and into the flickering light of the streetlamps. The figure paused when he saw Cheops’ face, and watched as his breath came in choppy bursts.

“Cheops?” The figure moved forward, and into the light.

Cheops saw the face, and recognized him. He was never so happy to see someone. “Khnemhotep?”

Khnemhotep grinned, and said, “I thought you were dead!”

“I thought you were dead!”

The sound of running feet began to come closer. Khnemhotep grabbed Cheops and threw him into the alley. They remained silent as a German swordsman went running past, shouting “Hey, come on, guys, wait up!” in his native tongue.

They sighed, and turned to each other. Cheops was almost giddy with relief.

“Just like old times, eh Khnemhotep?” Cheops chuckled. “Skirting around outside the palace, hiding in the alleys to make sure we weren’t caught, remember that?”

“Yeah, I remember,”

“So,” Cheops said, “Why are you here? I heard the war was over, but since you’re here, it means we must of won, right?” Cheops knew it couldn’t have been true, but he could always hope.

Khnemhotep looked at him pityingly.

“Right?” Cheops repeated, this time with much less enthusiasm.

Khnemhotep sighed. “I only barely managed to escape Thebes. Romans took the city. Egypt is dead.”

Cheops felt like he’d been hit with a brick. The rumors had been true: Egypt was finished. The words struck him hard, even though he was partially prepared. He slid down the wall he was leaning on, and landed on the ground hard. He slumped over, as if finally defeated. “Then we’re dead,” he groaned.

“No,” Khnemhotep said as he helped Cheops get up, “I need your help. I need as many true Egyptians as you can.”

“Why?” Cheops said, disillusioned. “You said it yourself. Egypt is dead.”

“We’re going to revive it,” Khnemhotep said, “We’re going to take this occupation and ram it down their throats.”

“We’re just kids!” Cheops felt like he was on the verge of tears.

“We’re 16! We’re not kids!” Khnemhotep yelled. A dog began to bark in the distance, and Khnemhotep lowered his voice down to a whisper. “Not anymore. The millennia long war has taken its toll on us. We’re more mature for our age!”

“Yeah right,” Cheops mumbled to himself.

“Gather together the Egyptians. You know this town better than me. I need everybody: men, women, children, and hell, even that dog if it’s loyal! We will lead a revolt! Are you with me?”

Cheops looked at Khnemhotep, and felt as if he did not recognize the young man behind them. There was a fire in his eyes, and it scared him. “You’ve changed. You know that?” he asked.

“Answer me! Yes, or No?”

Cheops sighed. It was a chance to get revenge on those Germans for the town, and his chance to be a hero. “Yes. I will join you in this little endeavor.”

Khnemhotep grinned. “Meet me tomorrow at the ‘Old Folks Home,’ with representatives of our citizens,” and with that, he left.

Cheops watched his friend run off into the darkness. He realized that Khnemhotep had an ulterior motive in this, and it was consuming him.

Cheops ran off in the other direction.

Last edited by Reddwarfian; April 28, 2003 at 22:35.
Old April 29, 2003, 01:40   #12
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, I just got the time to read this, story, and I would like to second what everybody else has been saying so far: this is a very nice story. Good style, and plot. And, of course, I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
Spore page
Old June 18, 2003, 23:49   #13
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

I've been gone far too long.

SCHOOOOOOOL'S
OUT
FOR
THE SUMMER!!!

I'll be posting more often, now. (Yipee!) Here's a big chapter for those who were enjoying it.

Chapter 5

Around mid morning, people from all over the city made their way to the meeting place. They were discreet, coming at different times, and not looking like they were up to something. About forty people came, representing people from all walks of the old life. They were all packed inside the “Old Folks Home,” which was actually just that: a house for the elderly of the city. It had room for about 200 people in it, and it was already mostly occupied; every so often, an elderly gentleman or lady would walk through, mumbling about “Young People,” or “Meddling Kids taking up their space.”

It was late morning when Cheops came in, and asked if “he” had arrived yet. Nobody answered, and he set to pacing about the room. By mid afternoon, the assembled “troops” were thinking that this revolution was a flop. Some even got up to leave. Cheops desperately tried to hold them back, saying he’d be here. They were making quite a ruckus, but everybody could hear when the door blasted open, and someone flew through the door, sword drawn.

Everybody just about panicked; they were armed with simple axes and bows, not swords. Many thought it was a trap. They grabbed their weapons, and charged the newcomer, ready to take him down, and whomever he had brought with him. They were about to collide, when Cheops shouted “WAIT!!!”

Everybody stopped cold. An arrow went off and flew into a wall, but all eyes were on Cheops.

The newcomer sighed, and lowered his sword. “Thanks, Cheops. When I said ‘Old Folks Home, I meant the old government building. You scared me half to death!” He then motioned to the group, saying “This them?”

Cheops nodded.

“They’ll do great.”

There was a look of confusion on the faces of the group, so Cheops said, “Gentlemen, and Ladies, this is Khnemhotep, the next Ramses.”

Bismarck walked into the old governor’s office, and saw that Adolph, the head of the 10th Swordsmen division, waiting for him, along with Frederick, and Horsa, his Diplomatic and Military advisors. He acknowledged all of them, and threw down a map of former Egypt. “This is the plan,” he said.

“You’re crazy!” Cheops said, looking at the map of the city that had been spread out on the table.

“No,” Khnemhotep said, “It’ll be the last thing they’ll be expecting! I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen any patrol around here. They think you’ve surrendered to their will,” He pointed to a portion of the map. “In ten days, You’ll hit the forges in the north of the town, and arm everyone, and I mean everyone, with swords. I‘ll do the same in Thebes. Then, you go after the Barracks, and destroy the invaders.”

“We will give the Romans one last chance to surrender the city, before we attack.” Bismarck said. “If Caesar does not relinquish Thebes, then we will attack. Use the catapults taken from the Egyptians, throw everything you’ve got at them!”

“Simple, yet eloquent,” Adolf said, looking at the map.

“Adolf,” Bismarck asked, “How long will it take to assemble the 10th, 5th, and 14th divisions, and prepare to march?

“Nearly 6 days. The 14th is occupying Heliopolis.”

“Why ten days?” Cheops asked.

“I need some time to prepare,” Khnemhotep said. “I also left town fast to let the pursuit cool off. If we’re lucky, we can get three cities at the same time. Neither the Germans nor the Romans will know what hit them!”

The crowd was very enthusiastic. This was their chance! They are not Germans, they are Egyptian! And they will ram this occupation down Bismarck’s throat!

“I need to refill my water skin, and get some meal, and I’ll be off to Elephantine.” Khnemhotep said, and people swarmed to him giving him food and water. With a last thanks, he left.

He hadn’t said anything to Cheops.

“Excellent!” Bismarck said, “It should take approximately three days march to get to Thebes. With any luck, In ten days, Thebes will be mine!”

Frederick piped up, “Sir, are you sure this is a wise course of action?”

Bismarck turned on him. “Caesar promised me Thebes. If I don’t get Thebes, I will be very cross indeed!”

Caesar grabbed a man, and pulled him where he couldn’t be seen. “I hear that Bismarck is coming to visit us soon.” he said.

“Sir,” the man said, “I don’t think that I am the right person that you should be talking to about this—”

“Here is the plan,” Caesar interrupted, “I want you to prepare a feast. We have a variety of new meats here, that I’m sure you will find quite appealing; Alligators, Boa Constrictors…now what was it that you were saying?”

The head chef snapped to attention, and said “I’ll get right on it, my lord.”

Last edited by Reddwarfian; June 22, 2003 at 19:51.
Old June 20, 2003, 06:33   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Very glad to see you come back to this
Old June 22, 2003, 18:59   #15
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Thanks. Working on the next chapter now...
Old June 22, 2003, 19:58   #16
Reddwarfian
PtWDG2 Monty Python
Settler

Chapter 6

Word spread throughout Memphis what the plan was as Khnemhotep made his way to Elephantine. There was much excitement from the General populace, as they too were tired of this forced assimilation into German culture.

Ordinary citizens were often released into the Sahara or the hills around the city, allowed to hunt. Many of these groups intentionally moved far away from Memphis, hunting down some sort of creature, and when they were sure they wouldn’t be spotted, they trained for the battle. They sparred, sharpened their weapons, until they felt they were ready.

The Germans never expected a thing. The Germans had their own preparations planned. The reason that no Egyptian found much resistance was that the German army was busy. They were training as well, but in a more public way. This helped the resistance immensely; they were taking notes on the techniques that were being trained.

While all this was happening, Caesar was consulting his advisors.

“Sir,” his military advisor began, “There must be some reason that the Germans are coming with armed troops.”

“Trajan is correct, sir,” Claudius said. “I do not believe that they are just armed escort.”

“Exactly!” Julius Caesar said.

“Now I—what?” Claudius stumbled on his words.

Caesar stood up, and continued, “Bismarck isn’t coming here for any old reason: he wants something. He wants something so badly that he’s willing to go to war over it. The reason that this feast is occurring is that I don’t believe he would order any troops would attack while he himself is inside the city.”

Octavian, his foreign advisor, looked up at Caesar. “Sir, are you saying that war is imminent?”

“Yes, I believe so.” Caesar turned to Trajan and Claudius. “Order the Legionaries from Giza to fortify Thebes. As I recall, they fell early to Rome, and now they call themselves Romans. And be discreet about it, I don’t want to attract undue attention. You’re all dismissed.”

Everyone vacated after a short bow, leaving Caesar, looking at Octavian.

“Something you wanted to say, Octavian?” Caesar asked.

Octavian took a deep breath, and said, “Is it wise to go to war with Germany?”

Caesar sighed. “It’s not my decision. It’s all up to Bismarck.”

“But what will the world think. I mean to say, we just got finished with the last war. What will they think of so many wars in close proximity?”

Caesar smiled, “That’s the beauty: I won’t have started this war! We’ll be the defenders. If we go to war, he’ll get the stain on his reputation!”

Khnemhotep ran through the back alleys of Elephantine. He was muttering to himself about how he should have thought ahead, when he stepped out of an alleyway, and felt something large connect with the back of his head.

His last conscious thought was how he had been stupid yet again.

There were seven days until the revolution.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:16   #17
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Getting Exciting now, cant wait for the revolution. I hope the Egyptians do okay and make some gains.
Old June 23, 2003, 18:18   #18
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I say, old chap, this is rather good.