Old April 17, 2003, 16:25   #1
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Russia - another politician down
Quote:
MOSCOW, April 17 — Sergei N. Yushenkov, a legislator and a co-chairman of Russia's Western-style Liberal Party, was shot to death tonight in front of his home in northwest Moscow. His attacker escaped.
What consequences it would have? Any coments from Russia folk?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/in...partner=GOOGLE

[edit: link to the article.]

Last edited by raghar; April 17, 2003 at 16:30.
Old April 17, 2003, 16:41   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010

I don't think that anyone cares. From the looks of Russian TV, they don't care much, either.
Old April 17, 2003, 16:53   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:51

This will continue to hurt the democratic transition in Russia and the emergence of the rule of law.

But in the current context, it is not that surprising. Yet, I find it more surprising now than when Yetsin was in charge.
Old April 17, 2003, 17:34   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Rossiya
Old April 17, 2003, 18:36   #5
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Erm, I'm not deep on the political issues in Russia, but IIRC this is a guy from a liberal party whose members often criticized putin.

This makes him something like the 3rd person from the same party to be killed or chased away form Russia.

IIRC one of the former party members claimed that he had proof that Putin staged the terrorist bombings in multi-apartment buildings throughout Russia a few years ago, to get public support for himself and his policies.

Wouldn't be above a former KGB agent like Putin.
Old April 17, 2003, 18:47   #6
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:51
Speaking of cowboys and a "wild west" mentality....

or

Is this more like Chicago under Capone?
Old April 17, 2003, 18:51   #7
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'd go for Chicago. It seems wanton violence is the feat of organized groups.
Old April 17, 2003, 21:06   #8
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
Erm, I'm not deep on the political issues in Russia, but IIRC this is a guy from a liberal party whose members often criticized putin. This makes him something like the 3rd person from the same party to be killed or chased away form Russia.
I highly doubt that central authorities have anything to do with this assassination. This party is so insignificant and its chances to overcome the 5% barrier to the Duma are so negligible, that it would simply make no sense to bother with such a dirty business.

Quote:
IIRC one of the former party members claimed that he had proof that Putin staged the terrorist bombings in multi-apartment buildings throughout Russia a few years ago, to get public support for himself and his policies.
You are talking about Berezovsky, a notorious Russian oligarch. BTW, he was expelled from the party.

Quote:
I obviously have a better opinion of Putin than you do.
Old April 17, 2003, 21:08   #9
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Erm, I'm not deep on the political issues in Russia, but IIRC this is a guy from a liberal party whose members often criticized putin.

This makes him something like the 3rd person from the same party to be killed or chased away form Russia.

Putin is realpolitik inpersonated.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 17, 2003, 21:16   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 18:51
Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

Putin is realpolitik inpersonated.
Nah, Tony Hawk is Putin.
Old April 17, 2003, 21:19   #11
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
Re: Russia - another politician down
Quote:
Originally posted by raghar

What consequences it would have?
None. He wasn't famous or well respected politic. His chances to pass into next Duma were tiny at best.
Quote:
Any coments from Russia folk?
We have a tradition here- about dead speak good or don't speak at all. So, the best I can tell about him is that- I never liked him personaly and that kind of people in general. (By that kind of people I mean people who change their view in accordance with current circumstances. I have more accurate word, but I wouldn't use it.)
Old April 18, 2003, 09:42   #12
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Serb - he being not famous is true, but from what I heard he was infact well respected for honesty and dignity. But then again, I never heard about him before, so I can't stand behind that.

Vagabond - Yes, I think it was beruzovsky.

And yes, Ruskis for some reason like putin a whole lot, coming close to some personality fad IMO. It's like people in Israel think of Ben Gurion or Rabin, but now neither of them is control, so it's not dangerous.
Old April 18, 2003, 23:43   #13
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Serb - he being not famous is true, but from what I heard he was infact well respected for honesty and dignity. But then again, I never heard about him before, so I can't stand behind that.
I know how guys from the west loves commies and esp. political officers.
In times of Soviet Union he was loyal political officer of the communist part of SU, the typical COMMISSAR. He taught theory of Marxism-Leninism in one of the military academies, and was loyal member of communist party, but when situation had changed, he become loyal member of democratic party.
I never had respect for such kind of people and hopefully will never have.
The only person who is interested in this murder is Berezovsky- godfather of Russian mafia. Currently he is in London waiting for proccess which will decide his fate. In accordance with Request of Russia (Berezovsky was in Interpol's list of 'wanted' for a couple of years) he should be extradite to Russia. Now, he will start to whine that he is political renegate and that he will be slain in Russia, because Russia isn't democracy, and the country where KGB decides everything....blahblahblah and the same bullsh!t.
No one else was interested in this murder. Because he wasn't famous. His party didn't pass in current Duma and would never pass into next duma, because this party don't have support of population. So, who will kill politician which isn't popular? What is the reason?
Berezovsky is the only man who had reason. No one else wouldn't risk so much for such little stake. Claim that Kremlin exterminate political opponents is just ridiculous, because this guy wasn't an opponent for Kremlin. No one never really cared what he was saying.
Old April 18, 2003, 23:50   #14
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond

I highly doubt that central authorities have anything to do with this assassination. This party is so insignificant and its chances to overcome the 5% barrier to the Duma are so negligible, that it would simply make no sense to bother with such a dirty business.
This guy wasn't from LDPR. LDPR did quite well (passed 5% barrier) in comparision with party of this guy ("Dem vybor" perhaps?) This party isn't in current Duma. He was elected as koroche po odnomandatnomu izeratelnomu okrugu. U nas tut smeshanaya systema vyborov, ponimaesh.
Old April 19, 2003, 14:39   #15
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor