Old April 17, 2003, 21:15   #1
Knecht
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ethnic Goody Huts?
I recently began playing as the Americans after discovering that Scouts could be used to gobble up goody huts and thus grab all the ancient techs early. The last few games, however, I decided to try the Russians with a mind to try out cossacks and also to get an extra tech at the age change. But lo, playing on a huge map, I didn't find goody hut one. Zero hut count on the entire map two games in a row. I just started playing as the Americans again and got a goody just one space from my starting position and lots more nearby. Is this some kind of ethnic bias or am I not holding my mouth right?
Old April 18, 2003, 03:55   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Has to do with the level of Barbarian activity, a preference you can set before starting the game. If set at lowest (or chosen through the random option), there are no gooodie-huts.

Edit: added NO , small word, quit a different meaning to sentence.

Noticed peoples answer were abit strange to my answer (or to that what I thought was the answer I had given, it is now)

Last edited by alva; April 18, 2003 at 06:45.
Old April 18, 2003, 04:12   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Raging barbarians means more huts.
Old April 18, 2003, 05:00   #4
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
Don't ask Panag though... he'll say the game is hard-coded to give the US better starting positions..

I've been playing Civ3 since it came out in oct/2001 and I have never noticed one civ getting a disproportionate amount of good or bad luck. Play enough games and you'll find out

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 18, 2003, 05:32   #5
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:52
I don't think there are more huts if you choose 'Raging' over 'Sedentary.' You will have NO huts if you choose 'No Barbarians', however.

'Sedentary' means that Barbarians can only come out of a hut that is explored (popped) Since Barbarians can come out of huts, choosing 'No Barbarians' also means no Huts. There will be no 'Barbarian Encampments' if you choose 'Sedentary.' 'Barbarian Encampments' are where Barbarians are random spawned from. The encampments can only be placed in the 'fog of war.' Once your Civ has settled enough land to uncover the fog surrounding your Empire, 'Barbarian Encampments' will no longer be formed.

The higher the rating you choose for Barbarians the more of them there will be and the more often encampments will be formed and the Barbarians will also stray further from those encampments.

Since you have nary a Hut in the game where you play as the Russians, you set the game up to have 'No Barbarians.'

I hope this helps Knecht.

Alva: If you choose 'Random', you can get the 'No Barbarian' choice, hence no Huts is still a possibility with 'Random'.
Old April 18, 2003, 06:46   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

To Bigfree, see my correction.
I really shouldn't try to type fast, always get's me into trouble
Old April 18, 2003, 06:55   #7
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
The encampments can only be placed in the 'fog of war.' Once your Civ has settled enough land to uncover the fog surrounding your Empire, 'Barbarian Encampments' will no longer be formed.
Don't think this is correct:
barbarian encampments and uprising can still occur in already discovered land. That is if that land's nearby territory stays unsettled for a while.

People can than do the barbarian milking thing: razing the encampment fot its gold, retreating and coming back after x turns to find a newly respawned camp there.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 18, 2003, 07:00   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

There are "ethnic" goody huts in the meaning that the name of the tribes near you depends of your Civ. For example, when playing the Americans, you have more chance finding "Apache" goody huts or Barbarians, and when playing the French you have more chance finding "Burgundian" goody huts or Barbarians.

That's about it. It has no effect on gameplay.
Old April 18, 2003, 07:57   #9
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

Don't think this is correct:
barbarian encampments and uprising can still occur in already discovered land. That is if that land's nearby territory stays unsettled for a while.

AJ
But they won't reappear in visible land, either land within the units line of sight or your cultural ones.

BTW: nice to see you are back A.J.
Old April 18, 2003, 10:28   #10
Chemical Ollie
King

No barbarians will come from the huts if you are expansionist (like the Americans or Russians).
Old April 18, 2003, 10:39   #11
alva
Deity

Only if you use the scout* to open them

* not scout, the other one, whatisname?
Old April 18, 2003, 16:57   #12
Knecht
Chieftain

Thanks to everyone for the input. Now let me see if I've got this straight. No barbs means no goodies. Sedentary, Roaming, Restless, and Raging will produce more barbs and more goodies on an respectively increasing scale. I've always used the random setting and now I can see why I've gotten such mixed results. Sometimes no barbs and sometimes the little bastards are all over the place. What I'm still not sure about is the way the random setting works. I had always assumed that it was sort of on a turn by basis but, if I'm hearing you guys rights, it's going to randomly set barbarians on one of the above mentioned levels and leave it there for the whole game. In other words, if you want a specific barbarian and goody hut rate, you should set it to begin with and avoid the random setting. Is this correct?
Old April 18, 2003, 16:59   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 19:52
alva - the explorer
Old April 18, 2003, 23:21   #14
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Knecht
Thanks to everyone for the input. Now let me see if I've got this straight. No barbs means no goodies. Sedentary, Roaming, Restless, and Raging will produce more barbs and more goodies on an respectively increasing scale. I've always used the random setting and now I can see why I've gotten such mixed results. Sometimes no barbs and sometimes the little bastards are all over the place. What I'm still not sure about is the way the random setting works. I had always assumed that it was sort of on a turn by basis but, if I'm hearing you guys rights, it's going to randomly set barbarians on one of the above mentioned levels and leave it there for the whole game. In other words, if you want a specific barbarian and goody hut rate, you should set it to begin with and avoid the random setting. Is this correct?
You are correct in all except what I 'bolded.'

The amount of huts do not increase with the increments of Barbarian levels. The 'only' way to get more goodies out of the existing huts, on average, is to start the game with a Civ that has an expansionist trait. If you do, you should only pop the huts with your scout, since he will not cause any Barbarians to come from a hut; other military units may.

A hint for the game: If you see a hut pretty close to you when you start a game, no matter what Civ you choose, try to pop the hut 'before' you build any military units. If you pop the hut and you don't have any military units, you will not get barbarians, guaranteed!

You may ask how are you supposed to pop this hut(s) if you have no military units? Wait till you border expands in 10 turns, if it is that close (but don't build any military until then, delay the build perhaps or build something else; or use your worker to pop it!
Old April 19, 2003, 03:40   #15
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Quote:
Originally posted by alva

But they won't reappear in visible land, either land within the units line of sight or your cultural ones.

BTW: nice to see you are back A.J.
You're right and ....

thanks (little more time now)

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 19, 2003, 06:01   #16
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
To Bigfree, see my correction.
I really shouldn't try to type fast, always get's me into trouble
Heck, I could have a week to think about something and still end up putting my foot in my mouth!

BTW, we miss you in the ISDG forum, come on by soon. We do all sorts of fun things...like pick on Trip and stuff.
Old April 19, 2003, 10:40   #17
Knecht
Chieftain

Quote:
The amount of huts do not increase with the increments of Barbarian levels.
So I'm going to get just as many goody huts if I set barbs at Sedentary as I will if I set them at Raging?
Old April 19, 2003, 14:13   #18
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
There are "ethnic" goody huts in the meaning that the name of the tribes near you depends of your Civ. For example, when playing the Americans, you have more chance finding "Apache" goody huts or Barbarians, and when playing the French you have more chance finding "Burgundian" goody huts or Barbarians.
Are you sure about this? The barbarians' names come from a list on the editor's Civilizations tab. You can modify the list at will, but AFAIK there's no way to indicate a cultural or geographical linkage. I haven't paid much attention to the order of appearance, but my guess is that the barb tribe names are assigned randomly.
Old April 20, 2003, 15:29   #19
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Purple :
I was surprised as well, but I really think the order of appearance was somehow dependant of the civ of your choice. For instance, I rarely played Asian Civs, and I was suprised to see barbarian tribes with names exotic to me.

I have noticed it with Civ3 1.29, so it may have changed with PtW (I didn't notice either way). I am tired so I won't test tonight, biut I'll let you know if I think about it.
Old April 20, 2003, 21:23   #20
Chemical Ollie
King

Doesn't that depend on if you have ticked "Culturally linked starting positions" or not?
Old April 21, 2003, 04:53   #21
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Knecht

So I'm going to get just as many goody huts if I set barbs at Sedentary as I will if I set them at Raging?
Yes.
Old April 24, 2003, 06:43   #22
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Are you sure expansionist civs can get barbs popping huts with warriors? I don't play expansionists much, but it seems like when I have, I've popped huts with warriors previously discovered in other huts and haven't ever gotten barbs as a result.
Old April 24, 2003, 18:44   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Don't ask Panag though... he'll say the game is hard-coded to give the US better starting positions..

I've been playing Civ3 since it came out in oct/2001 and I have never noticed one civ getting a disproportionate amount of good or bad luck. Play enough games and you'll find out
hi ,

and where , just where is that written , ...... > nowhere , so stop to post such stuff , the fun went out of it a long time ago , .....

are we starting to imagine things , ....

bye
Old April 24, 2003, 20:28   #24
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Are you sure expansionist civs can get barbs popping huts with warriors? I don't play expansionists much, but it seems like when I have, I've popped huts with warriors previously discovered in other huts and haven't ever gotten barbs as a result.
You are correct. The Expansionist trait ensures that no Barbarians will come from huts popped either scouts/workers or miltary units.

I was stuck on the thought: If you pop any hut with a non-miltary unit with any Civ and you don't have any military units in your civs control (built by you or gifted by a hut),then you will not get Barbarians.

I hope that clears it up on Huts.
Old April 24, 2003, 20:38   #25
crotch
Settler

why not use big submarine to invade huts of barbarian peoples and likness
Old April 25, 2003, 08:14   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

You are correct. The Expansionist trait ensures that no Barbarians will come from huts popped either scouts/workers or miltary units.

I was stuck on the thought: If you pop any hut with a non-miltary unit with any Civ and you don't have any military units in your civs control (built by you or gifted by a hut),then you will not get Barbarians.

I hope that clears it up on Huts.

hi ,

, but a warrior can pop some huts ( from an exp civ ) and never get a barb neither , .....

have a nice day
Old April 25, 2003, 16:34   #27
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, but a warrior can pop some huts ( from an exp civ ) and never get a barb neither , .....

have a nice day
Yes, I know, that's why I wrote what I did.

Seems you have as much problems with writing your thoughts in this medium as you do reading it...
Old April 25, 2003, 16:39   #28
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

and where , just where is that written , ...... > nowhere , so stop to post such stuff , the fun went out of it a long time ago , .....

bye
actually that's what I've been asking you for the last 4 months... just where is it written that the US gets better start positions than the other civs???

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 25, 2003, 16:40   #29
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Not to jump on you Panag...
Quote:

hi ,

bye
Panag, not to jump on you, but you said it here:

Quote:

hi ,

make about a dozen or starts with the US at random and see the start , ....

they get 9 out of 10 a good start with food and shields , with at least one lux nearby and at least one important resource like aluminium , oil , uranium etc , .....

have a nice day
Linkage: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...01#post1920201

I know, I don't have a life it I dig through random people's posts

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old April 25, 2003, 17:11   #30
Panag
Emperor

Re: Not to jump on you Panag...
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit

Panag, not to jump on you, but you said it here:

Linkage: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...01#post1920201

I know, I don't have a life it I dig through random people's posts

hi ,

and where , just where does my message speak about hardcoding , .... where ?

no-where , .....

have a nice day