Old April 23, 2003, 20:31   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume II
The Trappings of War: Volume II
An UnOrthOdOx view of the Glory of War

Organizing this bunch of rabble I have been put in charge of has proven more difficult than I originally would have guessed. It is surprising that some who came here were not ready to put in a day’s hard work in order to accomplish our goals. After some persuasion, however, things are finally turning around. I can see, now, that there is a great sense of pride within the workers, each of them knowing they are a part of something great, and each seeing where their labors will benefit our town in the end.

With such a remote location, supplies being shipped from the mainland are scarce, and the land does not yield the most impressive crops, yet. I knew all this going in, though. What troubles me is the growing superstition in town revolving around the sea. Tales of monstrous beasts swallowing entire ships who were sent out to find fish are now a common sight around the fires within the town square each evening. At first I dismissed these reports as nothing but a fisherman’s fancy. I am all too familiar with people looking into the great blue depths and allowing their mind to convince them of something that does not exist. It was not until I saw the beast myself I began to ponder the implications. Only a glimpse, but that was all it took. One massive tail easily the size of our entire boat which created a massive wave upon striking the surface of the water and disappearing. Many of the elders in town claim it is a mighty dragon, and have convinced half the population of this fact. Some have even gone as far as to worship this mighty beast. One day soon, though, when I have the supplies, I will show them this is no god. I will bring whatever lies out there to shore and show them their fears are misplaced. Until then, however, it is my experience that people readily worship what is unknown, it makes them fear that unknown a little less, and that suits my needs here just fine for now.

It was as I was standing upon the shores pondering the best method of capturing this ‘dragon’ that I first spotted the visitors. This was the first envoy from the mainland since we had set foot on this island. I was actually a bit glad to see new faces approaching. They did not bring great news however. I was being summoned to a meeting of the upmost importance back in the Council. While I have enjoyed my days within the Council, and all the debating that occurs there on a regular basis, I had become accustomed to this more quiet life as my years had progressed. All the same, though, a duty was a duty, and I had to go. Leaving detailed instructions behind with my most trusted Captain, I set out with a promise to bring home a full cargo of Wine which had been so fondly missed on our island for quite some time. We were to round the cliffs and pick up Master Zen before proceeding to cross the mainland. As my eyes scanned the horizon, I once again saw my mighty Dragon mocking me in the distance showing his entire back, blowing great plumes of water into the sky, and finally flashing that mighty tail before disappearing beneath the waves again. The Captain on the Galley let loose a trail of expletives that caught my attention, he had apparently seen it as well. “That, good sir” I explained “is our local Dragon. Do not fear, I will be dealing with him soon enough.” A soft chuckle from him let me know he did not quite believe me, and who could blame him? It is completely incomprehensible that any boat can capture such a beast.

Master Zen was ambitious as always to get on to something new, and was looking forward to the trip back to the mainland, having already been informed mere moments ago by a rider I had dispatched before boarding the Galley. It was good to see him again, and it lifted my spirits considerably. There is nothing like spirited conversation to awaken one’s excitement and make them forget of their growing years. It seemed that Zenophobia, (the recently renamed Taiwan) though had also been experiencing similar concern over the existence of a Dragon. While I was unable to see any as we crossed the Channel, we had discovered through piecing together our collective sightings that there must be, in fact more than ONE of these beasts off our shores. This was at once a frightening and tantalizing development. Should we be able to ascertain a way to exploit these beasts as we would any other resource, our Island would benefit beyond measure. Master Zen was also able to fill me in on a number of occurances between some of the other teams. It seems he is kept informed far better than I, partially because of his duties as Foreign Affairs Consul, and partly because of a shorter distance for the Galleys to reach Zenophobia. This conversation lasted the entire way through our voyage across the Channel, into the town of Trafalga.

Panzer32 was awaiting us upon our arrival. The mere sight of him, though, brought an uncontrolled laugh from deep within me. “Hah! Good lord, Panzer, what in the name of all Hells is that you are wearing?” I asked.

“This? Oh, this is some of the finest silk. A new cloth being shipped in from Spain to the south.” He explained with a smile. I sat through the explanation of how we had come to obtain the silk in exchange for our wine, and that it was created by a bunch of worms.

“You go ahead and wear worm sh*t if you want, Panzer, I’ll stick with good old fashioned leathers, thank you.” I laughed. My mind could not help to wonder about how my wife might look in a gown made of this new ‘silk’, however, and I made a mental note to be sure to take some back with me.

That evening, Panzer had prepared for us a wonderous feast before we set out to meet the council the following morning. I had forgotten already in my time on the island how much I truly missed the simple joys of red meat. Too long had I been living on bread from the grain in the field and fish from the Sea. It was with complete contentment, then that I was able to drift to sleep that night, quietly wondering what the Council session would bring, and contemplating a way to bring red meats to my home, but so glad to be back in the company of such noble and fine companions despite longing for the quiet of my own little town so very far away from all this bustling.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby