Old April 25, 2003, 16:55   #91
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And here is why....

http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/2000...009_52131.html

Quote:
South Korea's total volume of exports to China in the eight months was 24.4 billion dollars, up 34.9 percent from the year-ago level, while imports stood at 12.15 billion, up 58.6 percent.
Not the $40 billion, I thought but still highly substantial, and growing rapidly.

Edit: Oops that link is too old...

Here is a better one: http://www.uschina.org/statistics/ch...rformance.html

Why China will probably want South Korea, Japan and US to stay safe...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:58   #92
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 19:05
all in all, however, i don't think china has the will--or the balls--to ever invade nkorea.

they'd win, of course, but they'd also probably lose a lot of good will with skorea, and possibly even japan.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:59   #93
Giancarlo
King

Well Qcubed, look at that chart. I think the will is denoted by the terms in dollars.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:59   #94
Q Classic
Emperor

eh... i don't think hong kong should count in that last chart, imho...
Old April 25, 2003, 17:00   #95
Q Classic
Emperor

yes, but fez-- i don't think skoreans will take too kindly to nkorea being invaded by non-koreans...
Old April 25, 2003, 17:01   #96
Giancarlo
King

Hong Kong is just listed to show the trade levels between the mainland and Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a part of the PRC but still is considered semi-autonomous.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:03   #97
Giancarlo
King

Q Cubed, you are right. If North Korea falls it has to stay independent. Unification will cut 10% of the average South Korean income and perhaps increase unemployment substantially. I can see why a South Korean does not want a war to happen. Honestly, neither do I. Too much at stake..
Old April 25, 2003, 17:15   #98
Q Classic
Emperor

the downward direction of the korean economy after reunification is also true. however, i honestly can't imagine that the skoreans wouldn't be willing to endure some hardship in order to see some of their long lost relatives again--without having a military trooper observing them.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:16   #99
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:05
Where will I get my kim chee, bibem bop, and Korean BBQ if they go to war?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 25, 2003, 17:18   #100
Giancarlo
King

If done right, with proper reform, the economic damage a reunification causes would be minimalized. In reality, North Korea could easily be lifted to South Korean standards quickly with free market reforms. In Germany's case there wasn't enough proper steps taken when reunification occurred.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:24   #101
Q Classic
Emperor

che, i'll take you to mom's house.

as for minimizing the damage, yes. i'm somewhat concerned, however... if i can find that article, it mentions that skorea is unfortunately not learning all the lessons it needs to from germany.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:26   #102
Giancarlo
King

Well I hope it does soon. Just throwing money at North Korea if reunification were to happen wouldn't solve a thing. Structural reforms need to occur. All West Germany did was throw money at East Germany.. it ended up in a disaster.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:29   #103
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
che, i'll take you to mom's house.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 25, 2003, 23:36   #104
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
hell, even I never thought that there could ever be a lasting peace in east asia. an uneasy peace, yes, but not a calm, lasting one as seen amongst the countries in western europe or north america.
There are only four countries in the region. The only problem I see right now is Japan, who still refuses to apologise for WWII.
Old April 25, 2003, 23:40   #105
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:05
Reconstructing North Korea would be horribly expensive, far more than it cost to get East germany up to speed (still ahsn;t happened) and Germany had far more money to beign with than SKorea does. A war and the fatermath would do a huge nuber for a few years on the economy of SKorea, and have substantial impact on Japan and China.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 26, 2003, 00:54   #106
Seeker
Emperor

But Q, don't you know that when the two koreas unite, they will form an unstoppable juggernaut putting all foreigners in their proper place?

(according to my high school students)
Old April 26, 2003, 01:00   #107
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
But Q, don't you know that when the two koreas unite, they will form an unstoppable juggernaut putting all foreigners in their proper place?

(according to my high school students)
I don't know whether to or at that statement.
Old April 26, 2003, 03:47   #108
Q Classic
Emperor

yeah, seeker, i'm well aware of that disturbing little belief amongst the young'uns.

what's even more unfortunate is that they'd be my contemporaries, were i born there instead of in the states.

if i remember right, one of the better selling novels in recent memory has been one in which skorea and nkorea unite, find that nkorea had the bomb, and decide to attack and nuke japan. oy.

i honestly wish the elders would dispel that bizarre nationalistic notion that seems to have cropped up...
Old April 26, 2003, 09:39   #109
Seeker
Emperor

There is a manga of this at the local store!

It's more popular than Scantily Clad Schoolgirls IX...(note: not a real manga to my knowledge)

Favourite REAL Korean food (most foreigners seem to stop at dungas and bee bim bap)

tak kalbi (Korean Chicken ribs)

water-kimchi (kimchi with white radish in water)

?duk galbi? (whatever those short,fat noodles are with the sweet and spicy red sauce. sometimes an egg.)

and of course the ever popular ja ja myung (which I was eating on 'Black Day', the informal reverse of 'White Day')

I'm getting tired of bulgogi. The local restuarant here has great side dishes though, especially if you order super-kalbi.

I really love the Korean red sauce, mixed red bean paste and red pepper. I'll miss it.

Sorry, what was the topic again?
Old April 26, 2003, 13:53   #110
chequita guevara
Emperor

Korean food rox!
Old April 26, 2003, 14:00   #111
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I don't know whether to or at that statement.
I think is the proper response. The idiocy of Korean youth isn't doing that country any good.

Quote:
There are only four countries in the region. The only problem I see right now is Japan, who still refuses to apologise for WWII.
Here's another statement to about. Ethnic hatred and ultra-nationalism are going to ruin the region.
Old April 26, 2003, 15:15   #112
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Korean food rox!
Don't you mean ROK's
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 26, 2003, 15:54   #113
Q Classic
Emperor

pin dae duck -- pancake type things
duck bock ki -- spiced rice cakes cooked in red bean paste sauce
mandoo -- dumplings.
Old April 26, 2003, 16:28   #114
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

mmm, Korean food

All East Asian food is very good...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)