Old October 11, 1999, 00:29   #61
MetallicaFan
Settler

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is there any way I can get this entire story as one big-a$$ file? I love what I've read, but I don't have the time to read it all on the message boards. If anyopne has the entire story, I would appreciate it if they'd send it to : metalhead01@netzero.com.

Thanx!
MetallicaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 1999, 16:57   #62
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 00:28
Pointa Nor

It had been a long two days since the attack on Pointa Sur. A investigation team had went into Pointa Sur to find out what exactly had happened, and from the early reports it looked like a terrorist attack. The only thing that had came out of Pointa Sur so far was rumors. A transmission picked up right before the attack indicated that the U.N. PeaceKeepers were involved in the attack, but they had vehemently denied any involvement whatsoever. A few hawkish members of the Junta demand retaliation against the Lal, some even went as far as suggesting a nerve gas attack on U.N. Headquarters. However, few took it as anymore than political posturing and saber rattling.

There was another rumor, however, spreading like wildfire through the ranks of the Spartan Internal Security Forces (SISF). It said that militant UoP extremist planned and executed the attack on Pointa Sur, and SISF wanted revenge. Colonel Todd Romero, Commander of the 116th Garrison Brigade, had a crisis beginning to develop.

Curfew was in two hours, anyone who didn't have a legitimate military or governmental function had to be off the street and in their residences. Except tonight was going to be different. There was going to be a non-sanctioned vigil on the ceremonial drill field in the center of Pointa Nor, and Romero knew it would turn into a blood bath. Usually SISF would have taken preventative measures to stop the curfew, usually they would have had the drill field closed off and riot police would have broken up any crowd that formed. Peaceful protests were usually quashed before they could turn into something large enough to give SISF problems if things turned violent. Yet tonight, there were no barricades, no SISF officer on the streets, absolutely nothing, and that gave Colonel Romero a bad feeling. There was already a crowd forming, and though it was a candle light vigil for a devastated Spartan City, it still violated curfew, and seemed defiant.

He rubbed his fingers on his throbbing temples, he had a terrible migraine. He couldn't let SISF massacre peaceful protestors, but they were defying the curfew. He looked on his desk at the old holo of the newly formed 2nd armored division, the rolling thunder...He looked so young, so sharp back then, the first non-lander to ever make General. The first Spartan citizen born on Chiron. Nevertheless, he had let it all slip away caring for the safety of yoop citizens before, could he survive another black mark on already soiled record.

Romero's mother conceived him in one last night of passion back on earth before she left her husband and went to her one true love, the stars. Final checkup didn't even find that she was pregnant, but forty years later when she awoke sick admist the chaos of the dying U.N.S. Unity Terina Heigl-Romero discovered that she was near the end of the first trimester of pregnancy. It was a miracle that he had developed normally on the trip to Alpha Centauri, and six months later when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy, Colonel Corizon Santiago herself, became his godmother. He was lucky enough to graduate first out of a class of ten, and lucky enough not to die in an early war with the UoP. He was lucky his godmother intervened when he almost died before a firing squad, shortly after being court-martialed for gross insubordination and treason. He knew he was about to do something stupid, but he knew it was the right thing to do, and hopefully his luck wouldn't run out.
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited October 11, 1999).]
korn469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 1999, 14:01   #63
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Zanzibar

In the distance a newly upgraded anti aircraft aegis cruiser could be seen coming into port, getting slightly larger with passing every minute. Its arch-typical Spartan dun color might be excellent camouflage in a desert or an autumn field, but against the azure seas near sea city of Zanzibar its hulking form simply could not be missed.

Mel stood at the third level observation deck railing overlooking the choppy ocean, watching yet another Spartan cruiser as it came into port. A brisk warm wind whipped unruly strands of her short-cropped black hair and tugged gently at her uniform, which marked her as the commander of the 2nd Armor Lightning Brigade. She inhaled deeply, savoring the rich salty air as she leaned slightly forward into the wind over the balcony railing.

She closed her eyes and felt at peace; but it was a peace that she knew couldn’t last.

Mel reflected on her last day and a half here at Zanzibar. The atmosphere at Zanzibar was nothing like any other Spartan city, which was to be expected since the city had recently belonged to the Hive. But, there was something different about Zanzibar. It had a free wheeling atmosphere that was totally unexpected for a paranoid security minded society like Yang’s Human Hive. Maybe it was because it was at the outer fringe of Hive society, a little beyond Yang’s iron grip. Maybe it was due to its history as a place where ‘things got done’ and shady deals were consummated, regardless of rules and regulations. It as hard to say. Still, it was giving the new Zanzibar Military Governor Kirsten Olfredsson fits. She had a frazzled and unhappy look about her, and her ‘aids’ spent most of their time shaking their head and rolling their eyes.

Reluctantly, Mel turned from the railing and headed inside. She made her way to the generous interior harbor of Zanzibar. Most of the Spartan North Fleet was already quayside, with the cruiser Star of the North undergoing full refit and repair. It had just returned from a deadly but one-sided duel with a Hivean cruiser that had bombarded Plex Anthill. Lauching a surprise attack from a large stand of sea fungus, Star had taken some damage before its chaos weaponry hit the Hive cruiser amidships, rending her hull. The victory cheers were muted after the crew started rescuing the surviving Hive crew from the warm worm-shark infested waters of the Central Chiron Sea.

There was a myriad of details to attend to - last minute requisitions, messages, and orders. Her chariot, a brand new transport sub, lay with her eight armor brigades just below the surface in a protected underwater harbor. Her forces were fully refit, assembled, and waiting. Within days the close support Aardvark needlejets would arrive. Mel had been shocked when Field Marshal Wang informed her that all 5 Armor close support needles were schedule for full refit. He explained that the recent pact with Morgan had yielded a energy ‘windfall’, and that almost all attack-oriented battle hardened Spartan military resources were to be upgraded, including the ancient commando and veteran Aardvarks. Soon the amphib units would be here, too. It was even rumored that the 469th would air drop in.

In short order the assault on the Hive mainland would begin.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 1999, 14:04   #64
Hydro
King

deleted

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited October 14, 1999).]
Old October 14, 1999, 14:35   #65
Hydro
King

deleted

Old October 14, 1999, 23:11   #66
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I deflected the epee with mine, and strained as the synthsteel blades locked. I stood there face to face with my adversary, my wrist straining, trying to break the impasse. The sweat beaded on my forehead and in a despairing moment I knew I was beaten.

With a contemptuous flick of the wrist she sent the epee from my hand and put the point of her blade to my throat.

“Better this time, Googlie, but I can tell you’re not exercising the wrists enough.”

I spread out my hands:

“Anastasia, I’m a week out of the tanks. What do you expect?”

We had the rec commons gym to ourselves. That was one of the privileges of rank. A quiet word about the risk of another assassination attempt and the drones were cleared from the gym and we had our workout.

I had fancied myself as something of a fencer in my youth, and had won colors at Edinburgh Varsity. But Anastasia was good. Better than good, in fact. I doubted if in my prime I could have beaten her.

“See you in ten at the juice bar,” I said, and went to shower.

She was waiting for me, drink in hand, perched on a barstool.

As I walked over to her, I wondered fleetingly if perhaps she had empath powers. Her hair was short cropped, and she had tinted it a deep auburn. Exactly the color of hair my wife had when we met for the first time after planetfall. By the time of her death some gray had crept in, and she was tinting black, but the color Anastasia had chosen brought back so many memories.

“God,” I thought. “I’m falling in love.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We went back to the SAC building to my offices, now occupied by Alexis/Santiago.

She was waiting for me, and as I entered handed me my commlink, activating ‘memory.’

I flicked it on.

There were three messages:

The first was a report from Burge/Ashaandi.

“Colonel Santiago and Googlie:

“Preparations are now complete. Full invasion of Hive territory about to commence. Co-ordinating with Morgan forces and shortly receiving Gaian mindworm units. Relying on you to keep the home fires burning and to placate Lal.

“Burge.”

The second was from CEO Morgan:

“My Dear Colonel Santiago:

“We are hard pressed at Industries with a rogue mindworm attack. Your pilots have been stalwart on our behalf, but we would appreciate any drop troops you could supply.

“Morgan.”

The third was more unsettling.

“Googlie.

“I’m back. Meet me at Fiorentina’s at seven.

“Corazon”

I looked at Alexis/Santiago.

“Game over,” I said. “It’s the real thing.”

There was no Fiorentina’s restaurant. It was a code word that only the Colonel and I shared. She would be at my apartment at seven.

I flicked open the commlink, and dialed a number.

It was a secure, scrambled channel.

The familiar face appeared:

“Burge. Ah, Googlie. So you got my message?”

“I did, and I need to talk to you urgently. Can you come to my apartment just after seven this evening? Alone. You can leave guards outside.”

“Sounds delightfully mysterious. I’ll be there.”

I flicked the commlink shut, and went out of Santiago’s office to find Anastasia.

“Anastasia. I want you to play the maid this evening – at my place. Will you do it?”

She looked up at me, coloring slightly.

“The maid? What exactly did you have in mind?”

I realized immediately the possible innuendo in my request.

“Oh, nothing like that.” I told her of my calls.

“Sure,” she said. “I’d love to.”

Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 1999, 00:47   #67
Paula Forbes

The drones were in riotous mood as they ran through the city. Streets were clogged with pedestrian and vehicular traffic, all heading down the highway to Ruby Ridge Memorial.

Traffic was stalled on the Bank bridge spanning Buffalo Pond, as the lake to the south and southwest of the city was called. The borehole lay just across the lake to the west. Citizens were panicking as they saw mindworm after mindworm use the course of the water as a highway right into the base.

The Spartan needlejets had depleted their number somewhat, but the borehole was utterly destroyed, both by the mindworms' depredations and the missiles and chaos weapons that had been deployed against them while they recharged their batteries, so to speak, in the safety of the borehole.

And one or two had gone missing. The calm commands of Alphonse, their leader, had been silent for a few hours, but the sentient hordes went after the base's population centers.

The first to fall was the recreation commons, where a number of the populace had taken refuge. They provided a tasty meal for the mindworms.

The habitation complex was a target for them, and about half of the dozen or so remaining had made their way there, attracted by the density of the signals reaching them indicating greater population, and by the higher panic levels emanating from the complex. They were eating their way through the plasteel supports of the various buildings in the complex and as one after another collapsed they were moving in for the kill to sate themselves on the mangled bodies that still showed signs of life.

The other half were making their way to the holotheatre, another center of population activity, again in panic mode as they realized they were cut off from their homes and safety.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

Paula was at the Morgannews Studios directing the gathering of the news.

Live vidcams were recording and broadcasting the scenes of panic and destruction all over the Morgan Federation and beyond. They had cheered in the studio when the flight of Spartan needlejets had taken out some of the invaders and they groaned in despair as they saw building after building collapse in the hab complex.

The commlink chirped.

"Paula, it's for you," said one of the technicians handing her the link.

"Paula here," she said, then started when she realized that she was looking at the face of her friend, Jeneba.

"Jeneba, where are you?" asked Paula.

"At the airport. Can you commandeer one of your corporate helos to come pick me up? I have to get over to the Hybrid Forest. That's where we can beat them."

Paula asked "Why the Hybrid Forest?"

"Too long to explain. Can you supply a helo, or do I hijack one?"

Paula looked over to Joe Carter, frantically juggling the incoming images into a coherent story line to transmit.

"Joe, I need a helo and a vidcam crew immediately to go to where the action's heating up. OK?"

"Gotcha," he said. "Number four - it's on the roofpad warming up in case of evac - take it. Pilot's callsign is 'Biggles'. And take Peter's crew - he's spare."

Paula nodded and said to Jeneba. "We're on our way."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

En route Jeneba filled in the details for Paula.

"As you know I'm doing some work on brood training for mindworms - hence the neural implants. Well I got wind of the invasion force from about two days ago, but didn't fully realize what it was - just a mindworm massing, I thought. But I did pick up a strong empath signal from one, their leader I believe. None other than Alphonse, whom we had dealings with some weeks ago.'

"I remember," Paula muttered. "Googlie's pet."

"The same. Well, it appears that when Googlie went into the tanks that Alphonse was returned to the wild, and now seems to be on some kind of Planet-directed mission to stomp out boreholes. He's recruited a wild mindworm army and this is his first port of call."

"The bastard," said Paula. "Why us?"

"Oh, he's really quite innocent, just following orders so to speak. But the interesting thing is that he's gone AWOL from the battle."

"What do you mean, AWOL?" asked Paula.

"Well, it seems that his old Gaian trainer from a decade ago is none other than the Gaian ambassador to Morgan Industries, Shannon Lindly. She's right now in the Hybrid Forest with Alphonse and a couple of huge boils that've been turned by a tiny Gaian mindworm that Lindly's been befriending, name of Ehm. I've made telepathic contact with each of them and I think that together we can defeat the invasion.

"Ehm is key, 'cos although little, Alphonse, who's huge as you know, will do anything for him so long as Ehm is protecting Lindly. Now she's a bit out of practice, but just rusty - she hasn't lost her power, but I'm what the empaths call a compellor, and being neurally enhanced, on a mindworm wavelength, so to speak, I can coerce them into Ehm's sphere of influence where they can be turned with Alphonse as the muscle to back him up.

"So you see it's imperative that I get to them at the Hybrid Forest as soon a s possible."

She had no sooner stopped talking than the copter alighted just yards away from where she was standing on the apron.

Jeneba ducked under the blades, and ran to the door, which Paula was holding open. As soon as she was in, Biggles made a direct run at the Hybrid Forest.

Beneath them as they traversed the city they could see the devastation that the mindworms were wreaking. There was savage fighting coming from the garrison troops, with hand weapons and flamers, but they were too few to be really effective.

The close quarters of the buildings and people made it impossible for the Spartan needlejets to repeat their attack runs, so Paula realized with a sinking heart that the fate of Morgan Industries rested in the fledgling sentience of a small mindworm, and a Gaian one at that.

Paula Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 1999, 01:25   #68
Hydro
King

Outside Morgan Industries

The hurt is gone. But Earthlindly is not waking. Ehm commented. Ehm was still perched on top of Shannon's body, who was now peacefully sleeping in the fetal position.

The other three hulking mindworms stood around Shannon. Alphonse seemed to shimmer as the 10-centimeter worms that formed his grayish-pink bulk kept his roughly spherical shape. His flanks were relatively smooth and ordered, but flared out at his base to support his many tons of mass. His two rogue counterparts, in contrast, constantly pulsed, sending lobes of worms in pseudopods that rippled over their amorphous surfaces that were, at best, an ovoid.

Hatchling Ehm, Earthhumans are curious. Although similar in form and substance, they react differently. Patience.

Why have you continued your attack on the Earthhuman city? Earthlindly will hurt.

The Voice ordered. Planet is deprecated here. We must.

Ehm's small form wavered, as he did when he did not understand. He formed a 'head' and 'looked' toward the great Humancity. He could detect the renewed assault by the ferals, more flames, and the shielding Alphonse had placed around Earthlindly. Then he 'looked' out over the hybrid forest that was an integral part of the Humancity. Already the fires were spreading, and were starting to consume the hybrid forest, his home. Ehm quaked in alarm.

Finally, Ehm found his words.

Great Boil Alphonse. There is no deprecation of Planet in this place. This is my home. Why must you destroy my home?

Alphonse considered the question. The imperative of the Voice to destroy this Humancity was very real. It was not PlanetVoice, but it was a powerful Voice. PlanetVoice was rarely imperative. Why was this Voice different?

Alphonse put out a tendril of thought, touching the senses of the other 13 mindworms currently ravaging the Humancity. In the senses of one he saw the hybrid forest, with its intricate and compelling integration of Earthform and Planet. In another he saw a vast industrial sector, but no pollution that soiled Planet. From another that was eating away at the plassteel support of the hab complex to get at teaming mass of Earthhumans he sensed the vast energy consumption at the metal and stone towers, but this energy was from the sun. It did not harm Planet. A feasting mindworm in the recreation commons lent Alphonse a tendril, and with this tendril he viewed the wreakage of the borehole, which was a wound in Planet. But this was offset by the wonder of the hybrid forest.

Ehm was correct. There was no deprecation.

Was the Voice wrong? How could that be?

What to do?

Alphonse morphed over to the edge of the hybrid forest and let sank into the fungus to connect to the FungalNet. Immediately he received a feeling of Belonging. Home. This was Connection. Would Planet speak?

He sent out a tendril to Planet.

PlanetVoice, Alphonse inquired.

Reluctantly, Alphonse withdrew and returned to Ehm, Earthlindly, and his two rogues.

Hatchling Ehm, I have no answer. PlanetVoice has no answer. Earthlindly must answer.

The four mindworms settled in to wait. In the background, the great, gleaming city of Morgan Industry spasmed and burned.

Warmth and goodwill. Caring and protection.

Shannon didn't want to wake, but she felt a tugging.

Like a swimmer rising from the deep, she looked up and saw a glimmer of light from the comforting dark fastness of sleep. It was a jarring light, but it tugged. Beckoned. Stretching out, swimming up, she rose toward the light, pushing and striving. Her ascent quickened. All became light. She broke surface.

And she awakened to the sight of little Ehm centimeters from her face.

Happy waking, Earthlindly.

Shannon smiled. Ehm was the only mindworm Shannon had ever known that greeted his human associates after waking. A human mannerism? Like his forming of a 'head' when he 'looked', even though neither action was necessary?

Then she saw, out of the corner of her eyes, the hulking grayish forms of other mindworms. Huge mindworms! Ferals!!! Immediately, and instinctively, she drew back, only to find she was surrounded. Shannon flushed with panic.

Earthlindly, it is Alphonse.

Shannon turned and there, in back of her, was Alphonse. Shannon sagged with relief.

Moments later, her alarm returned. The mindworm attack on Morgan Industries! It was still happening! She could feel it!

Alphonse! You have to stop the attack! Now!

Yes, Earthlindly.

With that, Shannon could feel Alphonse put forth a tendril of Command. Even the two feral nearby reacted. The waves of psi terror immediately disappeared.

Shannon sat stunned.

Her mind filled with questions: Why the attack? Is Alphonse in control? How many mindworms are there? Is Alphonse still wild? Why is he here? What has Ehm got to do with this?

Alphonse told her about the Voice that wasn't PlanetVoice and its imperative. He also told her about Ehm's question, and his confusion at the contradiction implicit in his imperative. Planet wouldn't answer, so he had decided to ask Earthlindly to decide. And Earthlindly had decided: stop the attack.

Alphonse, do you follow Planet now? Or do you follow me?

Earthlindly, I was trained and raised by you. I trust you more than the Voice. It is not PlanetVoice. We will follow you.

We? Who are 'we'?

'We' are the PlanetDenizens you call mindworms. We follow you.

Shannon digested the statement in silence for a while. A creeping realization sunk in: she and Ehm had effectively captured Alphonse back and his mindworms! A rare and extraordinary event!! Thrill and elation coursed through Shannon's body as the adrenalin took hold. Capturing a mindworm, let along two, was considered a blessing from Planet! A gift!

Shannon looked up at Alphonse.

Alphonse, what and how many are you?

We are Great and Daemon Boils, as you call us, and we number 16, Earthlindly.

Shannon was dumbstruck.

16!

Priority Communiqué burst: secure, maximum encryption
To: Lady Deirdre Skye, Velvetgrass Point
Message: Extraordinary news D! During a massive and unnatural mindworm assault on Morgan Industries, Ehm and I captured back Alphonse and 15 other mindworms! Can you believe it! A blessing from Planet! NOW we are a force! We can make Yang pay for all those decades of Gaian blood! And we can get anything we want from the bloody handed great manipulator Morgan! HE is at our mercy!

I await your orders!

Shan

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited October 15, 1999).]
Old October 15, 1999, 11:24   #69
Rynn

Morgan Industries

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

The huge demon boil sat outside the hab complex somewhat confused.

In her nascent sentience she had followed Alphonse’s orders – or more aptly, coercive suggestions – and had believed them to be Planet’s urgings too. After all, had not she and her brethren not heard Planet’s voice as well?

She conferred with the six other mindworms that had together been ravaging the complex and were now quiescent, awaiting leadership.

She thought of herself as ‘Bambi’ – and didn’t know why. Maybe that was the name Alphonse had given her that first day when they had met. She had been overcome by his awesome psi-power, and had eventually succumbed to his authority.

She had in turn been the primary in the seduction and subduing of the remainder of the corps and had now risen to demon boil status herself during the battle in the city.

But she was confused.

PlanetVoice spoke:

“Alphonse speaks false, Bambi. He has been turned by his old masters and is renegade. He is no longer one of us.

“Yes the ecodamage to me in this base is slight and is overcome by the wondrous gift of the forest and the preserve, but this is their showpiece base. Everything that we stand against is epitomized by Morgan and his despoiling of me and my resources.

“So ignore Alphonse. Rally your forces and move against the Theatre as planned. I will deal with Alphonse.”

Bambi reached out to the six mindworms under her detail and empathed ‘Let’s move. We have our orders.’

The posse shuffled and skittered down the street towards the HoloTheatre.

In the Hybrid Forest, Ehm and Alphonse also heard PlanetVoice.

“Ehm, I don’t understand.” communicated Alphonse. “This is not Planet’s voice. Help us understand. Reach out to EarthLindly as I will too.”

Ehm extended a gentle tendril to Shannon Lindly. She too had ‘heard’ the voice in her mind, and was troubled. Something just didn’t sit right.

“Ehm, something’s wrong, she communicated, with a puzzled frown.

“We are not understanding either,” Ehm replied. “It is the Voice that Alphonse has ben following, believing to be Planet, yet when we lonk, Morgan is no enemy of Planet. So why are we being ordered to attack Morgan earthbeings?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t know,” said Lindly aloud. “I just sense something’s not right.”

The mindworms sensed her confusion and visibly sagged as they themselves were consumed by her indecision.

Ehm was solicitous. He sensed that something wasn’t right, bolstered by Alphonse’s augmented senses, and they thought that they had the answer, but now Planet had spoken ordering the attacks to continue. But why wouldn’t Planet speak to Alphonse when he tapped the fungalnet? And why was Lindly so vacillating?

Their musings were interrupted by a bright light above accompanied by the noise of a rotor craft descending to the clearing they occupied.

Alphonse reared up in alarm, and readied for battle, with the two great boils by his side. Ehm scurried into Lindly’s arms and waited, sensing calmness in her, so this was not a hostile visit. He sent out reassuring signals to the three massive mindworms, who relaxed their stance but not their vigilance.

The copter landed and doused the light and its engines.

Lindly was on her feet, protectively holding little Ehm.

Two figures descended.

Ehm eavesdropped into the ‘conversation’.

“Alphonse. It’s me, Jeneba. You remember, from the submarine caper?”

“Ah, yes. Hello EarthJeneba. You have come to help us interpret Planet’s voice?”

“I need to understand, Alphonse. What’s happening? Oh, and hello, Ehm. You’re cute.”

“Hello EarthJeneba. You’re weird.”
Ehm replied, recoiling slightly into Lindly’s arms as the strength of the augmented psi force washed over him when Jeneba turned her attention to him.

Lindly picked up snippets of the ‘conversation’ – enough to know that Alphonse and Jeneba were acquainted. And Ehm was right. She was wierd.

Half of her face was cyborg, suffused with nodes and neural receptors, and from lesions in her skull actual mindworm tendrils were sprouting. Fighting back revulsion, Lindly introduced herself.

“Hi, I’m Shannon Lindly, Gaian Ambassador to the Morgan Federation. I was a mindworm trainer when we were first contacting and capturing them. Alphonse here was my first real success.”

“Jeneba Mbutu. I’m the Morgan mindworm trainer. I see our methods are different from the Gaians. We rely more on technology.

“Alphonse has briefed me. There’s a rogue element here somewhere.”

“So you sense it too,” said Shannon. “I just can’t put my finger on it, but something’s just not right. It doesn’t seem like it’s Planet controlling them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Isle of the Deep sat just outside the bay at Morgan Industries.

Underneath, hidden from view and from sensor penetration, lay the small Hive submersible. The University scientist that Sand had spirited away those many years ago had surreptitiously been working on
Small manned submersibles for several years now, and this was one of the prototypes that special ops had sequestered.

Oki leaned back from the controls.

She knew that this was the crisis moment of the mission. If she succeeded in overcoming Alphonse and his human trainers then she would be successful. If not, then there was no future for the Hive. She knew, as no other Hive operative knew, what the combined power of sixteen mindworms could do. It would make the Gaians by far the most powerful faction on Planet, at least until more of the PlanetBuster weapons could be produced.

As she pondered, a secondary mission formed in her mind.

She powered up her implants.

“Bambi” – how she loved that name. As an old Earthener exposed to mid twentieth century vidflicks early in her life as a means of keeping her occupied in the mornings, Bambi had been one of her favorites. It somehow semed so appropriate for a megaton mindworm. “Take your forces and move with all speed to the Aerospace Center. Destroy everything there. Fight Alphonse if need be, for he has turned against Planet.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jeneba, Shannon and the four mindworms heard the message too.

“To the Aerospace Center. That’s where the battle will be,” said Jeneba. Paula, make room for one more in the copter, Lindly and Ehm are coming with me over there. Alphonse, get your forces there as soon as possible. Be prepared to fight Bambi if needed.”

“Peter, out. You’re superfluous. Run with Alphonse.” Said Paula

Peter hopped out of the copter and the three women and Ehm climbed in.

Biggles fired up and took off for the Aerospace Center to prepare the defenses.

Alphonse rallied the other two mindworms, and washed peter with his psi-sense. He wouldn’t be able to keep up. Ah well. He could follow.

Peter seemed to understand.

Alphonse was not looking forward to this encounter.

Bambi would be a formidable opponent.
Rynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 1999, 14:13   #70
Hydro
King

Velvetgrass Point

An ancient rover pulled up to the bank of the shrimp hydroculture farm, spraying dirt and dust as it skidded unceremoniously to a stop. Out of the iris valve between two great wheels a figure emerged, and he ran heedless of the dust, and without a breathmask, toward the hydroculture embankment. He wore a simple fungalweave jerkin and shorts, and was carrying a datapad.

As he reached the edge of the expansive hydro farm he stopped and looked into the distance. The glare of the noonday sun was too great, since he had forgotten his sunglasses, too, in his haste, so he shielded his eyes as he scanned the horizon.

Finally, he saw what he was looking for and dashed into the knee-deep water. Prawns, the size of lobsters, skittered away from his intrusion as he plowed through.

“Lady Skye! Lady Skye! Urgent Communiqué!” Aid Lihn cried at the top of his voice. His progress slowed as he reached the center of the hydrocell that he had entered, where the soft mud quickly reached his ankles, then his shins. Still, he struggled on.

Fifty meters away a slim figure stood upright and looked toward him. She had dark brown hair, which was tied back with a green bandanna. Recognizing Tung Lihn, she put down her bioreader and samples on the hydrofarm monitoring station and walked along the earthen berm toward him.

She met him at the top of the berm of the cell he was crossing, and gave him a hand as he struggled up the steep and slick bank.

He was covered in mud, and smelled of ‘shrimp waste’.

“You know Tung, you could have just called me on the comm. Or you could have walked along the berm,” Deirdre commented, nodding toward the berms that surrounded the rectangular hydrofarms.

Tung's didn’t recognize the friendly jab, and shoved the datapad into her hands. “Couldn’t call – it had to be secure!” he said between gasps. The nitrogen –rich atmosphere was getting to him, especially after all the exertion. He looked flushed.

Deirdre smiled slightly at his enthusiasm. Young aids always took their jobs so seriously. She didn’t even blame him for interrupting her jealously guarded 4 hours of research she granted herself each week. If she weren’t careful, the affairs of state, petty and otherwise, would overwhelm her.

She took a spare breathmask and gave it to a grateful Tung. Then she guided him to the nearby monitoring station, which was little more than a simple enclosure with a remote datalinks, fluid control manifold, feeding struts, sensor suite nexus, with a table and chairs.

In the cool open shelter she sat Tung down and, after a DNA check, toggled to message on the datapad:

To: Lady Deirdre Skye, Velvetgrass Point
Message: Extraordinary news D! During a massive and unnatural mindworm assault on Morgan Industries, Ehm and I captured back Alphonse and 15 other mindworms! Can you believe it! A blessing from Planet! NOW we are a force! We can make Yang pay for all those decades of Gaian blood! And we can get anything we want from the bloody-handed great manipulator Morgan! HE is at our mercy!

I await your orders!

Shan

Deirdre nodded to herself. She had felt the psi force near Morgan Industries, which was the greatest concentration she had ever experienced. Moments ago she had felt Alphonse, and the cooperative essences of the 8 other mindworms that now followed the Gaian call. She also felt the essence of 7 other great worms boils, and then felt them slip away.

And she heard the Voice these others followed. It was not PlanetVoice. All too infrequently Deirdre had experienced the gentle caress of PlanetVoice. It was sometimes unintelligible, but it was always comforting, and never hostile. It sought understanding. This other Voice spoke of violence, with a directed focus. It was a focus that only a human could have.

She composed a response:

To: Ambassador Shannon Lindly, Morgan Industries
Message: Congratulations, Shan! I have sensed the situation you have been in, but until your message was not sure of the context. I suspect that by the time you receive this message that the situation will have changed: 7 of the feral mindworms now follow the Voice. I have heard this Voice and it is not PlanetVoice, which I am well familiar will. Based on its directed violence, I suspect the Voice is human or human controlled. Proceed with caution.

Update me when you can.

Love, D

Lady Skye finished her message and sent it. Then she composed a second message, this one without a datapad:

Greetings, Alphonse! I have felt your indecision. Rest assured that the Voice you hear is not PlanetVoice, and reassure those who stand with you. The Voice you hear pretends to be Planet for their own ends – it is a counterfeit. Seek out this Voice with your thought tendrils and assail it. Disrupt it. Disturb it. It violates Planet, and subverts it. It must be stopped.

Yours in Planet,
Earthskye

Old October 16, 1999, 01:58   #71
Rynn

Morgan Industries
Aerospace Center

Once airborne Biggles ran the math.

The Aerospace Center was, as expected, on the opposite side of the base from the Hybrid Forest. It would take them about five minutes to reach it and land, and it would take the mindworms about eight minutes from the hab complex. The holotheater was about ten minutes away and the Hybrid Forest about fifteen minutes from the center.

He toggled his commlink.

"Attention all craft. If Morgan or Spartan military needlejets are currently airborne and can reach the Industries Aerospace Center within ten minutes your assistance is needed.

"Massive hostile mindworm force heading for Center. ETA is eight minutes. If you can interdict from now till ten minutes from now, do so. After that period friendly Gaian mindworms will enter the picture so any attack will risk friendly casualties.

"If you can help, fire at will. Avoid the admin buildings - that's where we'll be."

He cut the link, and pressed on.

They came in low and fast and dropped on the apron right at the guardhouse.

"What the he.." the guardsman began.

Jeneba cut him off. "No time, get all your garrison armed and at the south perimeter fences. Massive mindworm invasion. First batch are hostiles, about two or three minutes later friendlies will arrive."

"How will we be able to tell the difference?" the guards sergeant asked.

"You won't. You'll just have to hold fire and pray for the good guys"…assuming you live that long, Jeneba thought.

"Where's the CO?" she asked.

"He's up, evacuating to Bank. Took the brass and left us here."

"How many planes? How long ago? Armed?" she asked in rapid fire.

"About fifteen minutes and.."

"No time, then," she cut him off. "Where's the PlanetBuster?"

"The what?" he asked, unslinging his shredder rifle.

"The nuclear missile, you fool. That's their target. They're under Hive control we think, and they're here to destroy it and remove it as a weapon."

He blanched.

It's in the hangar by the south perimeter, pointing to the building with a couple of guards posted.

Jeneba realized that the cards were staked heavily against her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

She and Lindly conferred.

"They're being controlled from offshore somewhere. I'm fighting their controller as well as them. There's only so long I can hold them, so let's hope that it's long enough for the friendlies to get here."

"What can Ehm and I do?" Lindly asked.

"Ehm can stay linked with Alphonse, and get what help he can from him to maybe blunt the psi attack somewhat for the guardsmen. You, Lindly, need to assume control of the friendlies when they arrive on the scene, so you need to be making contact with the leaders now and developing some sort of battle plan. Have Ehm link you through to Alphonse for ideas."

"I'm not very good at fighting," Shannon said. "I'm more of a diplomat now."

"Well, get good quickly. This is going to be the longest two minutes of your life. You can sense them now. We'll be seeing them any second."

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The pain grew in Jeneba's head, and she took as much as she could stand before activating her neural blockers. At the same time, she reached out with her will and focussed on the leader.

"Bambi, stop. You are wrong. Stop now."

The lead mindworm approaching the perimeter fence of the Aerospace Center hesitated a fraction, then resumed its charge up the small hill as the pain threshold in Jeneba's mind was breached by the combined force of four of the seven storming mindworms.

She released her entire stock of analgesics through her system and focused her entire psi energy into a sharp neural lance aimed at Bambi.

The mindworm flinched, and Jeneba pressed home the attack:

"Bambi. This is wrong. Ask Planet. You are nor hearing Planet, but an imposter."

The huge mindworm paused as if to consider, but her smaller companions had by now breached the fence and were pouring through.

The guards at the hanger were firing indiscriminately into the throng, flaying tendrils and wormflesh in the process, but soon they were succumbing to the pain in their minds.

Lindly tried her best to bolster them, but her skills were indeed rusty and she was herself more of a compellor than a supporter. She focussed on the guardsman at the doors of the hanger and went into his mind forcing peace and calm in place of the panic and despair that the mindworms were driving through him.

Jeneba was holding Bambi with her augmented will, and the mindworm was motionless, irresolute, as if pondering various alternatives.

Suddenly all felt it.

Jeneba keened in agony as Oki, from her lair beneath the Isle of the Deep, took on the task of neutralizing the Morgan brood trainer. At her controls she boosted the amplification through her neural implants to bolster her psi energy, and focused on Jeneba, letting Bambi alone for a few seconds.

The pressure rose in Jeneba's mind until she could take it no more unsupported, so abruptly she released her hold on Bambi and sank to the ground, crying aloud in her agony "EHM…EHM… Help me."

Oki sensed instantaneously that the hold had been released and shifted focus automatically back to the demon boil.

Bambi tensed and then with amazing speed lurched through the fence and into the door of the hanger, the Guard that was being mentally supported by Lindly being shunted aside like matchwood by the sheer bulk of the mindworm. Two medium sized worms were hard on Bambi's trailer tendrils and into the hanger almost as quickly.

The sleek PlanetBuster, in its launch cradle, lay exposed.

Oki commanded the two supporting worms to effect its destruction and they set about it with relish.

Ehm was squirming in Shannon's arms.

He sensed Jeneba's anguish, and recognized her call for help.

Expanding his awareness, he sought Alphonse:

"Alphonse. We need help. What to do?"

"Arriving soon. You need to protect EarthJeneba's mind till I get to you. Hang in little one. Be brave. I'll ask EarthShannon for help"

"EarthLindly. Ehm will protect Jeneba from mind destruction. You protect Ehm"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ehm entered Jeneba's mind, and his first instinct was to recoil completely.

Oki was there, working vigorously to untangle some of the command strings and render her inoperable.

Ehm went to the attack, striking with all his psi force back up the neural link that Oki had created. Pushing Ehm was Shannon, lending all of the projection that she could muster.

A surprised Oki leapt back from her controls in pain, quickly tuning down to reduce the feedback amplification. But the link was forged. Now that Ehm knew the path, he persevered.

Then Oki struck, a focused beam of psi force right at Ehm. Shannon felt him flinch and she sent out her own psychic call for help to Alphonse.

She sensed his presence and felt Ehm stiffen mentally, striking back at Oki. Each experience was making him stronger, helping him to learn from previous actions and interactions. This time he sent a weak looking interrogative wisp of a probe down the link that was still active from Jeneba to Oki. Her guard was down, as the probe seemed innocent. Shannon sensed that, and marshaled all her remembered instincts. She rode the massive surge of psi energy that Ehm sent, bolstering it and boosting it and catching Oki completely unawares. The pain lanced through her head, burning and fusing the synapses that kept the Jeneba link active and as she screamed with agony the link was broken.

Ehm retreated back into Jeneba's mind, and was relieved to see that she was free of psychic pain.

Two minutes had elapsed since Bambi had appeared at the fence.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

The hubbub was growing more insistent as the Gaian army arrived at the perimeter of the Aerospace Center. The three mindworms that had remained at the fence turned on the advance guard, and the atmosphere was electric as the psi battle commenced.

The worms were tearing at each other in a fearsome display of raw energy, torturing bystanders and mental eavesdroppers with mental screams that rent the psionic universe.

But sheer weight of numbers prevailed. Two of the renegade mindworms perished in the attempt as did one of the Gaian attackers.

Then Bambi appeared from within the hangar, and suddenly the tension was palpable, even to the humans watching with horror in their minds.

The leadmost Gaian mindworm quailed and cowered as Bambi towered over him, dwarfing him both in sheer size and in psi-power. Suddenly all felt the mental surrender. The turned mindworm scuttled over behind Bambi, to join the two who now emerged from the hangar having rendered the PlanetBuster a complete wreck.

Ehm was fascinated yet concerned. He was protecting Jeneba as ordered, but was aware of a resurgent Oki in turn bolstering Bambi's resolve.

Another Gaian worm skittered over to the renegade side.

Shannon looked on in stupefaction, powerless to intervene. Ehm was her prime concern, and in turn Ehm was protecting Jeneba. She did the quick math.

Seven renegades had come into the Center and two had been killed. Six Gaian mindworms had arrived and one lay dead. But two had been converted by Bambi, so the odds now were seven in favor of the Hive, led by Bambi, controlled by Oki, and three great boils now resolutely facing off against the renegades.

Where was Alphonse?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No sooner had she though it than she had her reply.

"Here, EarthLindly. I have arrived."

She looked up and through the gap in the fence came Alphonse with his two sidekicks.

"Ehm," she empathed. "Help Jeneba help Alphonse."

Intuitively she knew that this was the decisive battle. If Jeneba could hold off Oki, then it would be a matter of wills between Alphonse and Bambi.

Jeneba was sitting up on the ground by now, aware and alert. Ehm fussed around solicitously in her mind, reassuring her and aiding her, and insisting that she rejoin the fray.

Then the two sides joined in battle.

The subsidiary skirmishes were painful enough for the bystanders, and left them psychically battered. But the main event dropped most of the humans to the ground writhing in agony.

As they raised their psi energy levels Alphonse flashed a thought to Ehm:
"See if EarthJeneba, with your help, can block Oki from Bambi long enough to give me the edge."

The battle between the two main protagonists commenced. Not only a battle of the senses but a physical battle. They lurched towards each other and in a gyration of swaying masses and flailing tendrils they joined.

Ehm reached out to Oki, and as she was focused on Bambi, Ehm was suddenly aware of the surroundings to her location.

Sentience.

Awareness.

Free of mind control.

Waiting.

Ehm probed:

"I, Ehm, greet you. Who are you?"

"We are an Isle of the Deep. We are like you, mindworms. We have joined together and are aquatic."

"Do you serve Planet? Do you hear PlanetVoice?"
, asked Ehm.

"Of course I do. Why do you ask?"

"Because you are harboring and protecting a great enemy of Planet. You have been observing the battles. Enter the minds and experience. See who is saying the truth. Bambi, led by Oki, whom you protect, or Alphonse, fighting with Jeneba and Lindly, who speaks for Planet."

Ehm was aware of the touching of the consciousness of the isle as it scanned the combatants and the humans alike.

"You speak truth, Ehm. What do you want me to do?"

"Destroy Oki."

"I cannot do that. She is too powerful, with her psi augmentations."

Ehm was frustrated. He saw that Jeneba was again losing the battle against Oki for the control of Bambi.

Then he realized what needed to be done.

{I} "Isle."

"Yes, Ehm?"

"Drop a psi blanket around her. Don't let anything out - or in for that matter. And neutralize her enhancements if you can."

"I can do that."[/I]

Ehm broadcast on a tight neural beam to Alphonse:

"The moment is near. Prepare to seize the chance."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oki was communing continuously with Bambi, channeling energy to her neurally to aid in the battle against Alphonse. She was aware of Jeneba's resuscitation on the periphery of her consciousness, but concentrated on the battle with Alphonse. There would be time enough later on for dealing with the Morganites.

The battle was even, as she read the events neurally. Each side had now lost two further boils in the battles, but the principals were deadlocked. Oki's help to Bambi neutralized Alphonse's greater experience.

Then Oki's espersense blacked out completely. She floundered. Reached out with her mind on the narrow beam to Bambi.

Nothing.

Broadened the thought projection to wideband, and threw it out to the battlefield.

Nothing.

It was like being neurally blind.

She was aware only of a great suffocating weight, and as she retracted her espersense she was aware of the Isle.

It was as if she were in his mental embrace.

"What are you doing? Why are you blocking me?"

"EarthOki, you are no friend of Planet. We have been duped. I am neutralizing your involvement until the battle is resolved. I am presently crushing your pressure hull so that you will need to evacuate your vessel to survive. You will therefore lose your enhancements. You will not drown, nor be captured by the Morgans or Spartans, as We will sustain you. The battle is now over, and you have ten seconds to escape this vessel before it decompresses."

Oki grabbed her breathtube, disconnected her amplification gear, and activated the escape hatch.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the surface, the battle was truly over.

As the neural blanket descended, Bambi suddenly felt herself deserted.

Alerted by Ehm, Alphonse was waiting for the moment.

As soon as he sensed it, he struck, lancing through her defenses with a psi energy bolt and severely weakening her.

"Bambi, I do not want to kill you. You are too valuable to become Planet Pearls as the EarthHumans call our dead husks. We have much yet to accomplish. Join us, and call on your few remaining followers to join with us, in the service of the Stepdaughters of Gaia. They revere Planet as we do, and are our natural allies. You know that. Your controller has been neutralized by Planet."

Suddenly Bambi capitulated, all appetite for continued fight departed. The followers surrendered too, and the air slowly cleared of the mental tension.

Shannon Lindly relaxed.

"Ehm, we've won," she said.

"Yes, EarthShannon. We have won. At some cost, but yes, we have won. This battle. There will be others?"

"Assuredly, dear Ehm. And we shall win them too."

She took stock.

Eleven of the platoon of twelve guardsmen were dead, the twelfth mindwiped by the unbearable pain.

Biggles was dead.

Only one of the four vidcam crew members still lived, as did Paula, severely scarred mentally, but repairable.

She herself, Jeneba and Ehm had survived. In fact she sensed that Ehm was the stronger for the experience.

Alphonse and Bambi, although weakened, lived, as did seven other mindworms, all now demon boils after the battle.

Not quite the sixteen that she had originally reported, but far better than the alternative.

The base had taken a terrible toll.

The hab complex had been completely destroyed with the loss of over ten thousand lives. The rec commons had been destroyed. The thermal borehole had been destroyed.

And the PlanetBuster weapon had been destroyed.

The Hive had suffered a setback, as had Morgan, more so. The Spartans and the PeaceKeepers were untouched.

The big winners were the Gaians.

Shannon Lindly hugged Ehm.

"You have done well, Ehm. You now command a mighty army."
Rynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 1999, 22:44   #72
Hydro
King

Assassin's Redoubt

Markus monkeyed with his neural regeneration stimulator - he HAD to stop the 'asleep' feeling in his left leg! The tingling was maddening, as was the fact that the leg wouldn't move. Even more perplexing was that when he willed his left leg to move he 'felt' it move, even though he could see it was inert. That was very disconcerting.

Even more disconcerting was how his leg looked. It was immersed in a viscous, clear nutrient gell, and it looked like a thousand microscopic red worms were swarming in! Logically, Markus knew that his blood vestals were growing out of his partially grown skin into the nutrient to massively aid in growing of his new leg. To Markus, however, they looked alarmingly like nasty little red mindworms eating into his leg. Lately he had been troubled by nightmares about his last pod popping mission, where they had been attacked and almost killed by two mindworm boils. Even thinking a little about that incident went shivers up his lean frame.

It was no use. The stimulator was lodged at the base of his spine, and had obviously been programmed to lock out unauthorized users.

I need a distraction. Bad, Markus thought as the tingling increased, setting his teeth on edge.

He wheeled around his wheel chair, his gelled leg sticking out in front of him behind a plasteel 'bumper'.

I must look pretty damned silly, sitting here in my puke green hospital smock, with a grotesque partially grown leg in a see-through gelcast sticking out in front of me. A good breeze will blow the smock away, revealing even more, Markus thought sourly.

He smoothed his too-small smock down and around his lap, just in case.

Then Markus smiled and turned his wheelchair around 180 degrees. He suddenly knew what to do!

Torment Mary!

Markus wheeled over to Mary's intensive care bed and rolled to a stop.

"Good morning, beautiful!" Markus said in a high-pitched and overly friendly voice.

Mary turned toward the voice, her gelcast yielding slightly from the left side of her face as she turned. It showed her exposed and rebuilding cheekbone, with filigree of red blood vestals radiating from it. Her burns had largely healed, but her ruptured face was still a mass of red flesh and bone from when a missile grenade had scored a near miss at her rubble redoubt in the halls of Plex with the Plex Brigade.

"You don't mean that," she mouthed silently through the gell.

"Mary, you couldn't be more wrong! I don't care about your gelcast. I was talking about you. Your beauty shines through. Even your capillaries are pretty!"

Her right eye, which was out of the gelcast that covered the rest of her shaved head, misted over, and her partially regrown lips trembled.

Markus suddenly felt terrible. His best friend was horribly hurt and in pain, and here he was making fun. What have I done?

Mary reached over and tenderly grasped Markus' hand. Her hand squeezed Markus', even as it trembled in fear.

"I love you, Markus," she mouthed.

Markus' heart skipped a beat. That wasn't the response he was expecting from his unintentionally cutting remark. Obviously, she had taken his comments differently than intended.

Automatically and naturally he replied, "I love you, too."

He brought her free hand to his lips and kissed it, all the while looking into Mary's searching eyes.

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited October 17, 1999).]
Old October 17, 1999, 22:57   #73
Hydro
King

Morgan Industries

The lights in CEO Morgan's office flickered briefly as the emergency power switched on. Even the triple-redundant independent power supply in the Morgan Governmental Palace was having trouble supporting the wild spikes as the broadcast power grid fluctuated and failed, and then came back on again.

Still, it was amazing it functioned at all. The chaos and destruction of the last couple of hours had been the worst in the Morgan Federation's history, far worse than even the Gaian's destruction of a couple of fledgling Morgan colonies over 30 years ago.

Morgan stood in front of the tactical holo of Morgan Industries. His hands were clasped calmly behind his back, and the light illuminated his face and blue suit and simple white silk shirt. In the partially darkened background his generals and aids could be seen communicating with their field contacts, or getting civilian reports of the destruction.

The latest update on the holo was grim. Over 10,000 were dead - about a tenth of the city's population, mainly from the collapse of the Morgan Megaplex Habitation Towere, creating a swath of destruction over 300 meters long in Delta Sector. One of the pinnacles of Morgan technology had come crashing to the ground, and the glittering Morgan Industries skyline would be absent its loftiest tower complex. Almost a sideline was the destruction of the Recreation Complex, including the Milton Burle Opera House. And then there was the still steaming ruin of the borehole, the second to be destroyed in 2 months. Luckily, the aerospace complex was saved, as was the Morgan Holosuites, hybrid forest, and laboratories.

More important of all were the military losses: 2 garrisons and the planetbuster were destroyed. Morgan Industries was defenseless.

The CEOs face twisted at the irony. Not quite defenseless: we are 'defended' by ten Gaian mindworms. We are at the mercy of the Gaians. If they move into the city it is theirs - we can do nothing to resist. Again, the situation was desperate. That is a reoccurring theme these days.

Morgan Senior turned from the bright illumination of the holomap and walked to his desk. As he approached the lighting increased so that his working area was fully illuminated.

Sitting at his desk he looked at his touchpad comm system.

All my other efforts at communication in the last 2 months have been rebuffed. But I need to try again. I must.

As he sat, the power flickered again and the room was thrown once more into darkness before the backup surged and kicked in.

When the lights came on again, dimmer this time, Morgan had closed his eyes and was trying to compose himself. Unsolicited, the solemn and quietly reassuring refrains of the ancient Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd Movement, wove their way through his brain. First came the delicate pianissimo beginning with the bass and cello, to the quiet string section duets and trios, on to the full string and brass restatement, then the intricate brass, string and flute theme variation, and finally the triumphant but sedate brass, flute and string recapitulation.

Morgan felt calmer. Steeling himself, the CEO voice activated the comm channel to the Lady Deirdre Skye.

The holo remained blank.

Morgan sighed, not having really expected anything different, and got up to leave since there was so much to do.

Then a torso-only holo of Lady Skye appeared, hovering above his desk. There was sweat and a little dust on her brow, but she was as always calm and composed. The holo didn't have the resolution, but it looked like she was outside and that there was a series of low shallow lakes in the background.

"CEO Morgan, you've called at a somewhat awkward time, but I believe we may have something to discuss," she said without preamble.

Morgan quickly returned to his desk and put on his best warm-and-friendly face.

"I am truly delighted you could receive me, Lady Deirdre Skye! It has been far to long since we have had the opportunity to talk directly - over 30 years, I believe. I have been privileged to meet and entertain your charming Ambassador Lindly. I agree that we have much to disc…"

At that moment, the power cut out again and the holo flickered as the backup kicked in again.

"…uss," Morgan said, and finished abruptly.

"Yes, I see you are having some problems. I have just received a second communiqué from Shannon and am fairly well informed as to your situation. So, Nwabudike, let me get to the point: explain to me why I shouldn't take my newfound army and destroy or capture Morgan Industries and the rest of your empire?" Deirdre said in a cool voice.

Morgan blanched and was thrown completely off stride.

"As I see it, you have been invaded by Yang, who now holds the important Morgan city of Morgan Pharmaceuticals and the Hunter Seeker Algorithm. Yang also has a strong offensive force on your territory. My sources say that you may be able to defend yourself, but are not in a position to repel the invaders yet, or anytime in the near future. Moreover, my new army of mindworms is in a position to take Morgan Industries at will, and within week several other Morgan cities. Due to my understanding, respect and empathy for Planet and your Free Market deprecations your forces will be summarily destroyed in these hostilities. Oh, and did I mention that I am a long-term ally of the Spartans, who will at best remain neutral or side with me? Have I missed anything?"

Morgan was chilled into silence for a moment, then cleared his throat and replied, "No."

"I seem to recall a situation very similar to this 30 years ago, except then it was me who was calling you asking, even begging, for mercy. Nwabudike, how does it feel to be powerless and beleaguered against two foes, each of whom can destroy you?"

Morgan didn't respond to what was obviously a rhetorical question, but his face was stricken.

Deirdre let a significant pause continue as she attempted to peer into Morgan's soul, if he had one.

Then she came to a decision: "But, I am not like you or Yang. I believe in the mercy and forgiveness, and the sanctity of human and Chiron life. I will be open to the possibility of peace and friendship. People can change and evolve and better themselves, and I would like to believe that of you. Yang is just as ruthless and dehumanizing as ever. Sometimes I think he would gladly stomp on the face of humanity, forever. Your recent words and actions have been hopeful, but you will understand if I require firm proofs of your goodwill."

Morgan understood immediately. "I understand. What are your terms?"

"I require the immediate transfer of the former Gaian cities Gaian's Landing, known as Worker's Nest, and Nessus Shining, known by its Hive name as Hole of Aspiration, to Gaian control. Moreover, you will leave in place all forces there and turn over to Gaian control the penetrator present at Paradise Swarming. In addition, you will promise me and Coronal Santiago that you will turn over Paradise Swarming and all other Hive bases in your control in the eastern portion of that continent to the Gaians. This may occur after hostilities with the Hive are concluded. Lastly, and most importantly, you will issue a formal statement to all of Chiron proclaiming these acts as reparations for past crimes against the Gaians and admit your culpability in those hostilities. Is this clear?"

"Yes, very clear. I will, however, need to confer with the Spartans about this to confirm…"

"I already have Corazon's consent and support. I am squirting you her affirmation, which I obtained a short time ago," Deirdre interrupted.

"I see. Then I accept your offer and greet you as Pact Sister. I will arrange for the transfer immediately," Morgan said stiffly.

Deirdre and nodded in assent. "Hope springs eternal, Nwabudike, even between former enemies. I honestly hope we can work together, in spite of past differences. Keep in mind, however, Santiago's assurance of Gaian territory. If you cross me, you cross Santiago. You do not want to do that, now or ever."

Deirdre smiled warmly, But I don't want to end on such a unfriendly note. I greet you as Pact Brother, Nwabudike! May we have a meeting of minds like this more often!

Lady Skye's image disappeared.

Morgan reacted in shock. Deirdre's last message had not come over the holo comm.

It had come directly into his mind.

The operator of the MorganNews holocamera queued President and CEO Morgan as he sat at his desk.

He was now on a live broadcast to all of Chiron.

"My fellow citizens of the Morgan Federation and people of Chiron, I am happy to report that the latest crisis to befall Morgan Industries has past: the unprecedented mindworm invasion has been defeated. Although the loss of life has been tragic, we can look forward to a brighter future. For, you see, this unfortunate event was stopped through the heroic efforts of our former enemies the Gaians. Without their action the loss of life would have been truly unthinkable, and we owe them much.

Through adversity has come opportunity; this is one of the first rules of business. The opportunity that I speak of is a renewed dialog with the Lady Deirdre Skye of the Gaians. Our conflict occurred long ago, and recent events have caused me to regret my past actions. Morgan transgressions against the Gaians were many, and I now formally apologize for them. There were transgressions against Morgan interests by the Gaians, but I am willing to forgive these due to the sad fate of so many Gaians under the tyranny of Yang and the Human Hive and the part we played in that outcome. Truly, they have suffered like no other.

Our renewed dialog with the Gaians had lead to an understanding that our interests now are aligned, and I am delighted to announce a Pact of the Morgan Federation and the Gaians! In keeping with this Pact, I now return to the Gaians what is theirs: Gaia's Landing and Nessus Shining. These Gaians have suffered under Yang's yoke for over 25 years and I am happy to be able to grant them their freedom. And Lady Skye, as our Pact Sister, will assist us in our struggles against the evil ministrations of Yang.

So, fellow citizens, our future is indeed brighter! Together we are stronger, and we will persevere!

Good night!"

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited October 17, 1999).]
Old October 18, 1999, 01:12   #74
korn469
Emperor

Sparta Command Aerospace Center
02:00 hours SMT

To an outside observer the Aerospace Center at Sparta Command was in total disarray, but to a trained eye, it controlled chaos. Soldiers from the 469th had seized the Aerospace Center nearly thirty minutes ago, and the rest of the division was pouring in. The unprepared troops guarding the Aerospace Center surrendered without a fight, and then they were interned in a large empty hanger at the edge of the base. No alarm had sounded because at 01:30 hours authorization had came in giving the 469th permission to drop in. It all seemed routine, until instead of a routine drop it was a full combat drop with soldiers quickly overtaking the defenders and demanding their surrender.

A rover sped toward the central command tower for the aerospace center. It stopped in front of the tower and a solitary figure emerged from it. Instead of stopping this man, soldiers from the 469th snapped to attention and saluted this man. It was Gavin Burge.

"Sir!" General Lockhart snapped to attention and gave Burge a perfect salute, as Burge walked into the command tower.

"General." He returned the saluted and then followed the General into a secure room. "I am glad you are here, we have an volatile situation on our hands." His face was dark, and his uniform was disheveled. He looked tired and worried.

"We were just preparing to drop back to the front when we received your orders. What is so urgent that you ordered us to Sparta Command," Lockhart paused measuring his words, "under such unusual conditions?"

Burge took out a disk and walked over to a display. "This is why General." Without saying another word, he started the disk.

It was a holo of Colonel Santiago, and then Allardyce came in. Then something amazing happened. Santiago, began to change, her face started to shift and soon it was no longer Santiago, but someone else altogether. Lockhart was amazed his eyes grew wide, he had heard of something like this but he had never seen anything like it personally.

"Is that a computer generated image?" Burge shook his head, and then rubbed his eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"No, unfortunately not. It is an empath actress named Alexis, who has been impersonating the Colonel since her sudden reappearance. However, even more unfortunately, she is in Googlie's pay, and he completely controls her."

Lockhart was surprised, but unfazed. "How long have you know?"

"For a while, and I have been monitoring him to see what his objective is but events of the past few days have made me act. Watch this, the holo start getting interesting."

The holo focused on the girl who impersonated Santiago then she morphed into Burge.

"Ashaandi," Allardyce began. "What game are you playing? And was Gavin's death necessary?"

Burge/Alexis morphed into another man, presumably Ashaandi.

"Regrettable," he answered. "But he went the way of the warrior.

"But as to my 'game' as you put it, this is no game. Yang must be stopped, and removed from power His dreams of Planet domination threaten not only you and your people, but all the other peoples on Chiron. He will stop at nothing less than being elected Supreme Leader, and the entire economy of The Hive is geared toward that purpose. My intent is to overthrow him, and Spartan forces are the only ones that can do so. That is my 'game'."

"And after he is overthrown, and you are in power, Ashaandi, what are your dreams? Planet domination under your banner? Ashaandi as Supreme Leader?"

"Exactly. The Spartan reputation is pure, and with the Burge personality I have adopted, I shall use their strength and single-mindedness of purpose to achieve that goal."

"The time for vacillation is over, Ashaandi, now I will expose you."

Then the act stopped and "Ashaandi" morphed back into Alexis.

"How did I do Googlie?"

"Perfectly my dear." Then they embraced and kissed.

"So he plans to move to discredit you?" Lockhart asked, his mind going over the possibilities.

"That is what I fear, and I fear he will move soon. A trusted aid of Googlie's delivered that disk to me earlier yesterday, and that out me on edge. Then apparently early yesterday evening, troops seized Pointa Nor and skirmished with SISF forces trying to put down a drone riot. If I am right this is his first move against the federation, and if we do not act soon, Allardyce will succeed in a coup d'état."

Lockhart nodded.

"General, I'm not sure if the garrison here at Sparta Command is dependable, so that is why I ordered your troops to relieve them. Now I also want you to seize Allardyce and the Santiago imposter. Try to take them alive General."

"Yes Sir. Don't worry Commander Burge, the 469th is dependable, and we will capture those traitors."

"I knew I could count on you, General." They walked out of the room and to the command center. He watched General Lockhart co-ordinate the various elements of the 469th as they overtook Sparta Command sleepy and unprepared garrison. Rover units would surround the defenders, then intimidate them into surrendering, then infantry unit would take up the abandoned positions.

The door to Googlie's quarters busted opened and an entire squad rushed in. Googlie snapped awake, and sat up in his bed, grabbing a shredder pistol from his night stand when his bedroom door opened and a concussion grenade came in and exploded, stunning Googlie.

Soldiers swarmed in, surrounding, and restraining him. They lifted him off his bed, he was still feeling the effects of the grenade and couldn't walk yet.

"Govenor Scott Allardyce, on behalf of the Spartan Federation, I am putting you under arrest by order of Military Commander Gavin Burge, on charges of treason."

"HQ this is foxhound, we have the fox."

"We have him, and our men have already picked up the girl." Lockhart said to Burge.

Ashaandi smiled to himself, things were working out as planed.
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited October 18, 1999).]
Old October 18, 1999, 01:45   #75
korn469
Emperor

Pointa Nor

Romero sighed as he read the report. Six SISF men dead, seventeen wounded. Only four of his own men were wounded and thankfully none had died. No civilians had died either, and there were no reports of any injuries at all.

He had no idea how he was going to explain himself to the court martial that would surely come. Yet he had no doubt that his actions were justified, instead of stun batons, the SISF forces had shredder rifles. Romero knew that they had came to slaughter the peaceful protestors. He walked over to his window and looked out at the sea of candles on the drill field. The vigil continued even as they saw a small battle errupt close to them. It looked so peaceful, but in the distance he could see the still burning hulk of a rover that was destroyed in the short skirmish.

Romero had finished composing his original report and was ready to send to Sparta Command, but when he tried to contact Sparta Command they had refused to forward his message to told him to clear the channel.

It was odd, very very odd. He had expected that they would have contacted him by now, and he wondered what was going on.
Old October 18, 1999, 11:29   #76
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Ron Stone need not have worried.

All over the Hive, men and women sat in darkened rooms or lay in their beds, straining to hear the crackling and sometimes faint voice of freedom.

Thousands and thousands of oppressed citizens whose hearts ached for a freedom they had never known and never been allowed to openly discuss. This was their one and only expression of that freedom. An act of quiet defiance by a people who did not know how to defy.

They listened and chatted quietly amongst themselves in the darkness, smiling tentatively, hesitantly as they listened to Silvermane, their voice of freedom in the night.

They made up stories about him. How he must surely be nine feet tall with arms of steel and enough courage for an entire regiment of men. Some people even claimed to have seen him, throwing off guards as they tried to catch him as a man’s boots sometimes throw off dust.

Another story had him single handedly dismantling a punishment sphere, and killing more than two hundred shock troopers who tried to stop him.

The stories were everywhere. Nevermind that most of them weren’t even believable, they gave hope. They inspired. They made life bearable.

Ron Stone had no idea just how big an impact he was having. It might have frightened him if he had but known how passionately and eagerly his listeners were about him.

Or how many loyal listeners he really had.

Of course, loyal listeners weren’t the only type he had.

Sheng-Ji Yang smiled a cold, deadly smile as he heard Silvermane’s voice crackling over the airwaves.

The nerve of this man. The gall. That he would try to stir his loyal subjects up into thinking seditious thoughts.

Yang drew in a deep breath to steady himself.

Peace.

Calm.

He had to find the center again.

A thing that was getting progressively harder to do these days.

He drew in another deep breath and held it for a lingering moment, then exhaled slowly, feeling the tension flowing from him.

Quietly, he pressed the comm button next to him.

“Get me Commander Liu.” He instructed in a clipped tone.

In a moment, Commander Liu’s face appeared before him, apprehensive, as might be expected of any man whom the Chairman called personally so late at night.

“How may I serve you, Master?” Liu asked in a shaky voice.

“Have you unraveled the secrets of the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm yet?”

“It is a very complex system, Master Chairman…..it may take some time to fully….”

“Do you know enough about it to use it for tracking purposes?”

“I don’t….yes, I believe we could do that at this stage.”

Yang nodded. “Have you heard of one called ‘Silvermane.’

Lui nearly wept, the wave of fear was so powerful. How had he known? What would he do? “Yes Master….I….I know of him.” The Commander stammered weakly.

Yang did not seem to notice, which was uncharacteristic. “I want you to track his signal to its source. Find this man for me.”

Liu knew better than to defy the leader of the Hive, and he felt more than a twinge of regret, even as the relief flooded over him.

He would find Silvermane for his master and prove he was a loyal citizen.

He would do his very best.

He saluted curtly. “I shall begin at once, Master!”

Yang smiled thinly. “Report to me when you have him.”

He ended the transmission.

&&&

“…..don’t know how many of you believe the reports, but I’m here to tell you, the Morganites are not our enemies, any more than the Gaians were all those years ago. You break your back for the Hive, toiling endlessly, and your Master takes your sons and daughters from you and sends them off to fight and die to suit his own twisted purposes….”

Silvermane sighed heavily. “It has to stop….one day, we will make it stop….but for now…..for now we have each other….here in the darkness, one voice reaching out to the many…..one flame, lighting the way…..I am honored to be here with you….to be that flame of freedom and passion for you…..be safe, be brave, be well….and goodnight.”

He clicked the transmitter off and bowed his head.

The show always took so much out of him.

&&&

“I have a report, my Master.” Liu told him apprehensively.

“Proceed.”

“The transmission ended before we could get an exact fix, but we have isolated it to a single base.”

Yang nodded and waited for the man to proceed.

“The signal’s point of origin is the Great Clustering. We can resume our tracking the moment the signal starts up again.”

“Then we will have him by tomorrow night.”

Liu nodded. “We will, my master.”

Again, he ended the transmission.

At least that was one problem he could solve quickly and easily.

He punched in another series of numbers and waited. One of the few men he actually had the patience to wait for, actually.

But there were rumblings from that camp as well. Rumors of subversion and independence that did not sit well with him.

And these were delicate times.

Loyalty was called for.

A test, then.

The face of Harrand Ashaandi appeared on Yang’s viewscreen. “Yes Master?” He bowed deeply. “How may I be of service?”

Yang could not help but smile. The man was utterly inscrutable. If he was plotting something, he kept it well-hid indeed.

“It has been too long, Brother Ashaandi.” Yang said good naturedly.

“It has indeed.” Ashaandi favored him with a smile. “Perhaps you would enjoy another of our chess matches soon?”

“I would….and perhaps soon enough, times will be happier.”

Ashaandi nodded in understanding.

“To that end…..” Yang began.

“My Master has need of me?”

“Yes….by tomorrow night, I will have located the one called ‘Silvermane.’”

Ashaandi froze. He knew the name well, but more than that, he knew the voice.

“Silvermane, Master?”

“Surely you have heard of him…..he has a subversive radio show here…I have loosed the Hunter-Seekers on him from Morgan Pharmaceuticals, and they are very close to catching him.”

Ashaandi shook his head. “My targets tend to be heads of state. I know nothing of this rebellious Silvermane.”

“No matter. By tomorrow night, we will have him, and I will require your services here….it should not take long.”

“Master.” Ashaandi began carefully. “Surely this man is not of such importance to you that you must call me away from my….”

“I require my best, most loyal assassin for the handling of this matter, and unless you know of another who is more loyal, the honor and duty is yours alone.”

Inside, the assassin seethed and raged, but he was outwardly calm. “It shall be as you say, my Master. You need but inform me when you have brought him to heel, and I shall destroy him for you.”

Yang smiled. “Excellent….I knew I could rely on you.”

The screen went dark.

&&&

No sooner had Yang ended the transmission than Ashaandi punched in Ron Stone’s number.

He waited impatiently for the man to answer.

“H….h’lo….somebody better be dead or close to it…..what…..time is it?”

“Mister Stone, it is you who will be dead by tomorrow night if you proceed with your next broadcast as Silvermane.” Ashaandi told him simply.

Ron was nonplussed, and blinked into the camera. “Harrand? What the hell? And what are you talking about?”

“Your acting skills rival my own, but do not waste your time….I have been ordered to destroy the one called Silvermane when he is found….and he will be found.”

Ron seemed to wake up slightly. “Silvermane…..yes, I’ve heard that name.” He said, warming to the game now. “Well, Commander, from what I hear, he has been doing his radio show for years and hasn’t been found so far, so what’s the sudden danger?”

“When the Chairman took control of the Morgan Base, he also took control of an advanced computer system which is running a Hunter-Seeker program more advanced than anything we have ever seen. It will trace your signal to it’s point of origin, and when it does, I will be ordered home to kill you…..” He sighed heavily. “Mister Stone….I ask you….if not for your own sake then for the children’s….do not go back on the air tomorrow night, or ever again….do not force my hand….you will lose.”

Ron met his gaze with steady eyes. Unblinking. Unafraid. “You do whatever you have to do, Harrand…..and so will I.”

“You’re a fool, Mister Stone.”

Ron nodded. “Maybe…..” He smiled faintly. “Maybe I am…..but I will not cower before you, or Yang, or anybody else for that matter. You know where to find me.…do what you must.”

He ended the transmission, leaving Ashaandi staring at the darkened screen, a strange mixture of fury and regret tearing through him.

He went to the window and stared out into the night.

There was no choice, really. In order to secure his own position, his path was clear. Ron was a sacrifice, and one he would have to make.

He nodded to himself in the fashion of Burge, his resolve strengthening with each passing second.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 1999, 13:14   #77
korn469
Emperor

Sparta Command Aerospace Center
07:42 hours SMT

The 469th Command Staff was finishing a small meal of dried cranberries and the tasteless nutrient substitute legumes. The cranberries were a real treat; they were real cranberries and not hybrid plants, grown by a few farms along the western coastland. They used a symbiotic bacteria that really made the plant flourish here on Chiron. Cranberries were still hard to come by, but Colonel Thomilson had a cousin who owned one of the cranberry farms, and kept the 469th with a small but steady supply of dried cranberries.

The cranberries were full of flavor; they had a tart sweetness that just exploded on your tongue. The nutrient substitute legumes, on the other hand, were completely bland and tasteless. Three 150 gram packages a day provided all the calories, protein, and vitamins a soldier needed. The nutrient replacement legumes, commonly know as xenobeans, were a genetically engineered hybrid plant that met SF-PNIMilspec 105 (Spartan Federation Personnel Nutrition Item Military Specification 105). That protocol required xenobeans to provide complete nutrition, require no special packaging or handling, require no preparation, be able to survive in most climates, and be low cost. What it added up to was any commander who let his men survive on xenobeans alone, soon had troops complaining about eating "those damned worm turds!"

The drop had been a complete success, and now Sparta Command's was under lockdown, with nothing getting in or out. The original garrison had surrendered without fight, and were now under house arrest in their barracks. All public commlinks were down, and only essential governmental employees were allowed to go to work. All others were told to remain in their quarters until further notice. Troops patrolled the streets, and there was a tense feeling running through Sparta Command.

Lockhart had heard rumors about Santiago being an impersonator for a while now, anyone with high-ranking friends at Sparta Command had heard the rumors, but he hadn't believed until a few hours ago. Burge's video didn't completely convince him, but reports from the squad that arrest this Alexis person confirmed that she definitely wasn't Colonel Santiago, disturbed him. What did Governor Allardyce have to gain he wondered. Not that much, he was already one of, if not the most, influential politicians in the Spartan Federation. He was from all accounts a close personal friend of Colonel Santiago, a friend and rumored lover of Deirda, and just an all around powerful individual. Was he just that greedy?

Right now Foxhound and Mongoose were holding the Fox and the Snake in the Spartan Federation Capital building. The Capital was where the Junta would have official meetings, and it was where the Spartan Federation representatives had met before the Junta suspended the constitution. Foxhound had used a concussion grenade on Governor Allardyce when they arrested him, he would have to discipline them for that, but Lockhart thought it was funny, and he would make sure they got off light.

They were waiting on Burge. He said he had some pressing matters to attend to before they left to interrogate the accused traitors. Burge didn't know it yet but they were going to interrogate Allardyce in front of all the Junta members who presently happened to be in Sparta Command. Allardyce might have been planning to launch a coup, but if things weren't handled properly, Burge would have succeeded in carrying out a coup.
Old October 18, 1999, 16:25   #78
korn469
Emperor

Morgan Metagenics
Central Terminal Morgan Airlines
09:08 MFT

Morgan Metagenics never slept, and the debauchery never stopped. Since Yang had conquered Morgan Pharmaceuticals, the people had been partying twice as hard. Unless the Spartan Federation intervened, Morgan had little hope alone against Yang. So Morgan Metagenics was throwing one last bash. Its happy hour until Yang gets here was the joke on the streets. Last night when Morgan appeared and announced normalization of relations with the Gaians, the city lit up like New Years Eve, and a huge pyrotechnic display started at midnight local time and ran on for three hours.

The city manager of Morgan Metagenics had declared today a citywide holiday, and had closed the roads so a huge citywide block party could take place. It had taken Kali an extra three hours to walk to the central Morgan Airlines terminal.

Besides the block parties enticing people to stay, airline tickets out of Morgan Metagenics had increased twentyfold. It was a perfect example of how Nwabudike Morgan had taken advantage of opportunities over the years to amass his enormous fortune.

Kali was wearing Morgan Razerwire sunglasses and felt nauseous. She had tried something called electric wire last night, and it was having a bad reaction today. Arms wrapped around her and lips tickled her earlobe.

"Hey baby." She forced her way out of his arms and spun around, suddenly angry. Before her was Michael David Joleard, smiling at her mischievously. He was also a part of URF, and he excelled at annoying people to the point of torment. His specialty was crashing systems. "Looks like somebody had a rough night." He started laughing...she was in no mood to put up with him.

"What are you laughing at? And please tell me you have the tickets." she felt like she could pass out. Hopefully the flight was soon.

"Well I was laughing at the fact that you tried that stuff that makes your blood glow...cuz your jugular is glowing some." He stuck out a finger and tried to rub her neck but she jerked away. "Ahhh, does poor lil' Kali feel bad? Want me to kiss it and make it all better?" he was talking in an obnoxious baby voice. "Oh lookie at Kali's sad face, I think she's going to cry. Pooor lil' baby Kali is going to cry cuz she took some bad bad druggie poohs last night. Don't cry poor lil' Kali pooh." She had enough; she turned around and started walking to the docking entrance.

"Hey, wait up, I was only joking" he ran and caught up to her, matching her stride for stride. He handed her the ticket and a passport. He started to talk when she stopped and cut him off.

"Listen, I don't want any of your crap, can we just keep this professional? I mean for once can't you act like your over eighty years old? I mean really!" She was disgusted with him. It took her by surprise when in one quick motion he grabbed her shoulder hitting a pressure point that made her wince. He put his face right up to her and stared her down with his vacant green eyes.

"Yes we can keep this professional if you want it that way." Somehow, she had forgotten that before the University fell, that he was in the UoP Intelligence service and was basically a trained killer with computer skills. For a moment, she wondered if he would kill her right her, just because he could. She was about to scream when he let go of her and a smile broke out on his face. "There now, I'm all nice and professional. Are you happy now?" He looked genuinely happy. Looking at him now, his expression and demeanor were so different that he almost looked like a different person.

She nodded and he put his arm under hers, and they continued walking toward the ticket counter. He leaned over and whispered in her ear.

"They haven't evacuated University Base at all. We had nine rocks left, but we only have one pin. Should we hit University Base?" He kissed her ear. She only smiled, and then shook her head, and let out a playful "no". It was a convincing act she thought.

"I see well we'll talk more about it later." She kept on smiling and they held hands, but on the inside, she wanted away from him. Breaking into networks was one thing, attacking cities with weapons of mass destruction was quite another. She liked to work alone, and especially not with people like Joleard. She felt very lonely at that moment, and hated that she was abandoning her friends here...but she had too.

The holographic attendant instructed them on how to swipe their ticket and then proceed through security. As they boarded the transport heading for Fort Superiority she looked back on her adopted home of Morgan Metagenics and hoped it would look the same when she got back.
Old October 18, 1999, 20:53   #79
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Anastasia arrived at Googlie’s apartment shortly after six to assume her maid’s role in advance of Burge and Santiago arriving.

She saw the two guards at the street level door to the complex, and assuming that she was late, or that Burge/Ashaandi were early, waved her pass at them and hurried through.

At the floor where Googlie’s apartment was, there were two more guards, by the door. She approached one and said :

“I’m the maid, reporting for duty.”

“Miss, you can’t go in there,” the guard answered. “This unit is under sequestration.”

“I don’t understand. Why can’t I go in?”

“Miss, he’s been arrested.”

“Whatever for, and by whose orders?”

“Field Marshall Burge. For plotting against the State.”

“Hrrmmphh,” snorted Anastasia, turning on her heel.

She went back down to the street.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Across the street, in a tiny bar, Anastasia sat and pondered.

Facts:

 Ashaandi had assassinated Burge (idirectly) and was assuming his persona;

 Burge himself, before he died, had said “trust him”, and Googlie had done just that;

 Colonel Santiago had said “trust Sand”;

 Googlie had entered into an agreement with Ashaandi concerning the terms under which Sparta would support his ambitions to rule the Hive;

 Ashaandi was embarking on a dangerous game of his own and was now effectively in control of Sparta command;

 Corazon Santiago had emerged from wherever she had been cloistered for the past month and a half and was imminently going to walk right into Ashaandi’s guards at Googlie’s apartment.

She looked at her timepiece. It was nearing six thirty. The Colonel would be arriving soon. She would need to head her off. The plan developed in her mind.

She leaned over to the bartender:

“This place is insured, eh?”

He nodded.

“Then close now, go home to your family. Don’t ask. Just do it.”

She stood up and walked out.

In the street, she flicked her commlink to a secure channel.

“Proctor. Stazy here. I need action in 20 minutes at Armory Lane. Potters Bar. Have you assets?”

“Stazy, hi. It’s a stretch. I can do it, though. Casualties?”

“Owner’s gone, I tipped him off. Loud and flashy. Diversion only.”

“Roger. Who’s the target?”

“The Colonel.”

She knew that would get Proctor’s attention.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

She moved to the intersection with Airport Road. Armory lane was a dead end so the Colonel would have to come this way.

Glancing at her watch, she saw that it was 6.55, and she wondered where proctor was. If he wsn’t able to get there in time – and she hadn’t seen anyone enter the lane except a change of guard – then her plan would come to naught.

Suddenly there was a tremendous explosion, with a small fireball of flame that looked like a celebratory fireworks display had gone sour.

The guards came running from the apartment building across the street to take charge as people spilled out of the buildings.

One or two were turning in to the lane out of curiosity, and Anastasia scanned them avidly.

Then she noticed her.

A young woman, scarcely more than a teenage girl, standing irresolutely at the corner, looking up the lane.

It had to be her. But so young.

Anastasia approached her.

“Corazon?” she asked.

The girl turned. Not quite so young looking, late twenties maybe, but with a look and haughteur that commanded attention. And those eyes. Lived in eyes. Eyes that had witnessed so much. And a body now coiled for action, cat-like.

“You are?” she asked Anastasia.

“Aide to Googlie. You’re due to meet with him at seven.. he’s been arrested.”

Santiago took Anastasia by the arm. “Not here,” she said. “Let’s find a quiet spot.”

They walked down the street to Le Souffle, another of Googlie’s old favorites.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Well, well. Now that is interesting,” was the Colonel’s comments after Anastasia had relayed the story to bring her up to date.

So Burge is really Ashaandi, and now effectively runs Sparta Command. Whe did you busrt the vidcom link to when you taped his conversation?”

“Oh, his usual circle. Slats Miller, Salvador St. James, Eugene Levavassier and Tricia Macmillan. No one has lifted a finger, so either Ashaandi has gotten to them, as well, or they truly believe that Allardyce was on some mission of his own. And the 469th are occupying the base right now. There’s no-one loyal left.”

“Oh, there might be,” said Santiago. “There just might be. Is there a curfew on?”

“No, I don’t think so,” said Anastasia. “Why”

“Let’s pay a visit.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Julia was sitting playing 3D holochess with Stephen when the orderly came I to the messhall.

“Visitors for you,” he said.

She went to the reception area to see two young women there.

“Hi,” she said to them “How can I help you?”

The older of the two, a dark haired young woman with just a hint of an aqualine nose, and looking vaguely familiar, said:

“Well, you wouldn’t necessarily recognize me as younger than you, but I need the help of you and your mother desperately. Julia Skye if I am not mistaken?”

Julia stared at her dumfounded.

“Corazon? Aunt Corrie?”

“The very same. Now assemble your pilots and crews, and let’s talk. You’ll need to talk to your mother as well. But let’s strategize first.”

They went into the messhall, and Julia got Stephen to round up the Gaian contingent.

They strategized.
Old October 19, 1999, 15:20   #80
Googlie
Emperor

Sparta Command

The two Penetrators followed by the two Interceptors taxied to the end of the runway, wheeled round and rolled immediately into their takeoff run, in perfect formation, two abreast.

SAC control come over the commlink.

“Gaian Penetrators , identify yourself and your mission, over.”

“Wing Commander Santiago leading our training and familiarization flight with our new fusion engines. Sorry for the urgency in not getting clearance from you – confirm with Slats Miller, over.”

The four jets took off into the late evening sky, heading west into the sunset.

Anastasia looked down at the shrinking base, saddened to be leaving Googlie in Ashaandi’s clutches. But she had work to do.

Morgan Industries, later that evening

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tape 13/11.41.4© MorganLink 3DVision

“Good Evening

“This is Paula Forbes bringing you the late night news, courtesy of Morgan Chemical Cporporation. For your every chemical need visit your local retailer to get the best deal at the right price.

“In late breaking news there has been a coup d’etat in The Spartan Federation. Field Marshall Burge, with troops of the 469th Division, has seized control of Sparta Command. Arrested are Federation Governor Scott Allardyce and the renowned Chameleon Actress, Alexis Shtelnikov, who has been impersonating Colonel Corazon Santiago who has been undergoing rejuvenation for the past month at Bank as a guest of CEO Morgan.

“Colonel Santiago returned earlier today to Sparta Command, just to learn of this coup and even now is in transit to Industries to a safe haven with CEO Morgan. She is accompanied by the flight of Gaian aircraft who were seconded to the coalition, commanded by her niece, Julia Santiago, who are removing themselves from Spartan territory on the heels of the Burge coup.

“It is not known at this stage how many of the Junta support Burge, and especially what position the Spartan Air Command and the Spartan Navy are taking. We do know, however, that the four Gaian aircraft were allowed to leave Spartan territory unmolested. They will be landing here at Industries something during the night.

“Tune in to tomorrow’s breakfast news for an update on this crisis in Sparta.

“This is Paula Forbes, saying goodnight.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CEO Morgan turned to Shannon Lindly and said:

“I would have done it anyway, without coercion, and I trust you will so advise Lady Deirdre. The Colonel and I, while never friends, are able to reach an understanding on most matters. It was our privilege to provide her with the very best in rejuvenation treatment at our executive facilities at Morgan Bank.

“But this does complicate matters somewhat, with a coup over the way and possibly a government in exile here.”

Lindly answered:

“Well you know that you have the full support of the Stepdaughters of Gaia, especially after your agreement with Lady Deirdre. She has long been a personal friend of the Colonel’s and will be extremely appreciative of your providing sanctuary in this manner.”

Velvetgrass Point

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Lady Deirdre Skye dialed the commlink for Field Marshall Burge.

The familiar face looked out, but the recorded message said:

“Field Marshall Burge is currently unavailable. Please record your message now. Holorecording is enabled.”

“Gavin, Deirdre here. I don’t know what game you are playing, but we, your Pactsisters, demand the immediate release of Scott Allardyce and Alexis Shtelnikov. Whether he is returned to any position within the Spartan Junta is obviously for you and the Junta to decide, but you are under notice that if Allardyce is not freed from arrest by dawn tomorrow I will declare this pact null and void.

“Deirdre out.

++++++++++++++++++++++

She then dialed CEO Morgan.

“CEO Morgan, I know it’s late. Sorry to wake you”

“Why my dear Lady Skye. We leaders never sleep, is that not so? What can I do for you?”

“I have just left this message for Burge.”

She appended the holo recording.

“Phew, that’s heavy, my dear Lady Skye.”

“Nwabudike, please call me Deirdre. You are my pact brother now, after all.”

“Of course, Deirdre. This is unsettling news. What would you like me to do?”

“Put your weight behind it too. Make a similar threat to Burge. I have been in contact, as you know, with Shannon Lindly. Our combined forces will hold off any Hive attacks on our bases without Spartan help, if need be. But they are playing a deeper game.”

“What do you mean, a deeper game?”

“I was contacted by Anastasia, the personal aide to Allardyce. Burge is not who you think he is. He is Haraand Ashaandi, himself a chameleon actor. He has had Burge assassinated, and is using his persona to command the Spartan forces. His stated intent to Allardyce was that he wished to overthrow Chairman Yang and put himself in control there.

“With the weakening of the Hive faction due to the defection of four bases, that empire is getting littler by the day. It seems to me that he is intent on consolidating Sparta and the Hive under his control. In short, he is a bigger threat then Yang himself.”

“Lady Dierdre, is this information substantiated?”

“Ask Corrie when she lands with Julia. Or Anastasia. She has the complete holo of Googlie’s meeting with Burge, or rather, Ashaandi.

Morgan Industries, still later

+++++++++++++++++++++

CEO Morgan commlinked Burge.

The recording still played:

“Field Marshall Burge is currently unavailable. Please record your message now. Holorecording is enabled.”

“Field Marshall Burge. Nwabudike Morgan here, in case the face is unfamiliar to you.

“With me shortly will be Colonel Santiago, the legitimate head of the Spartan Junta. It is her wish that she be joined here by the Spartan Ambassador to Gaia, Scott Allardyce, her last appointment before entering our rejuvenation tanks. We too would wish to see him freed.

“In this regard, if he is not released by dawn tomorrow, your time, we will sue for peace with our erstwhile pact brother, Chairman Yang, and renounce our recent pact with the Spartan Federation so long as you are its illegal leader. We recognize the legitimacy of Colonel Corazon Santiago, who has sought sanctuary with us.”

He snapped the commlink shut.

He needed to call his war Cabinet, and invite Shannon Lindly to join.
Old October 20, 1999, 01:01   #81
Hydro
King

Pointa Sur

Captain Sarah Dawson stood at the flat expanse of plasteel that passed for an aerospace center at Pointa Sur. The city was quiet. Deathly quiet. All of its surviving inhabitants had fled to the outlying communities that supported Pointa Sur, leaving its infrastructure intact. It was simply devoid of people: a ghost city - a necropolis. A city of the dead.

Ever since Sarah had learned to 'feel' the objects from the UoP terrorist she had been accumulating the memories of this place like static electricity - and the sensitivity was quickly setting her on edge. Even worse, it seemed to be growing. Tears of frustration streaked down her face. He defenses were failing. The voices were winning!

Merlin? Miles? Are you there?

Of course Sarah! How could I be anywhere else? I am in your head, after all!

Sarah, this is Miles. Hey! What's going on! Your brain is buzzing like a thousand muted bees!

I, I can't shut it off! The voices and feelings won't stop! I don't know what to do! My sh..shield doesn't work!

Hmmmm… Sarah, your empathy seems to be growing geometrically. I was right about you, you know. I don't know what triggered this - some sort of empathic catalyst. You have to get to a neutral area so you break contact - someplace with no human activity. Miles?

Something similar happened to me the first time I forcefully Projected to my Hive empath contact Kurt - the time I punished him. Actually, I almost killed him. When I was done it felt like the entire world was threatening to get into my head, from every direction at once. I just pulled back and gradually the sensations diminished. Have you tried that?

YES! I've tried EVERYTHING! They just won't stop! Please make them stop!

Sarah, as your Personality, you can dump them into me. That will stop the voices.

Can you stop them, Merlin?

No, Sarah. I don't think so

Then it would kill you. I can't do that!

Sarah. Listen closely. You need to get away from Pointa Sur. Now. Their residual emotions are overwhelming you. You need to find a way to control them. What is the nearest area where humans haven't been?

Ah. It isn't too large, but there are farms and forests nearby. Who is that?

Is there any fungus nearby? Sarah? Sarah, are you listening?

Ah….. What? No I am not your mother! Merlin? Fungus?

Sarah! This is Miles! Run to the fungus! NOW!

Run! But I don't want to go to Ft. Superiority, Mommy! What? Run?

Sarah stood still. Her head turned violently to the right and her eyes widened as she saw something.

Something that wasn't there.

SARAH! RUN TO THE FUNGUS!

Sarah started and looked up at the sky. Then with glazed eyes she trotted unsteadily east away from the dead city. As if in a trance, she made her way toward the fungus many kilometers away. Slowly her pace quickened.

Tears streamed down her face.

The voices and memories flooded her with every step.

Sarah crawled over the rocky fence a farmer had placed to keep back the slowly and inexorably growing fungus. Of course, it didn't work and the fungus simply grew through and on top of the rocky barrier.

Her military uniform was now dirty, and her short blond short hair was partially plastered to her head from her flight from Pointa Sur. Dried streaks of dust caked her cheeks from her tears. Her hands were soiled and scratched from scrabbling over hillocks and ditches. As she approached the edge of the farm field the voices had let up a little and her panic had eased.

But, not eased. More like replaced. New voices, kind voices, seeped into her mind. Her touch empathy was growing, growing still. She could feel it.

Sarah looked up at the looming fungus. Over the small boulders the patches were small, like tufts of cotton candy, and grew up through the space in between he rocks. Further in the fungus became waist high, then well over 2 meters high. Beyond this it was hard to tell if it simply got bigger or if it was a covered hill, since the fungus growths were so inter grown it was hard to see the ground.

Walking in, she stopped and crouched, and caressed the nearest frond, which stood almost a meter tall and was 10 centimeters in diameter. Its head flared, revealing a number of small indentations. Running her fingers down the stalk, she felt the fungus. It was smooth and slightly yielding, with faint ridges along its side. It wasn't completely pink, either. Close up it was a montage of mainly red, pink, and white with grey. Some areas tended toward purple or black, and some even to blue. At its base was a low, bulbous mound with protruding whispy tendrils. The tendrils quivered at the approach of her hand. Tentatively, she touched the tendrils, and the tendrils touched her. They accepted each other's touch.

Sarah straightened. She stood at the foot of the fungal mass and looked once more into the depth of the fungus.

A smile crept over her face. The hurtful, sad, insistent, belligerent, happy, confused, dreary, angry voices and memories were gone. Peace! The Touch had cured her of them!

A fungal frond near her started to vibrate and hum ever so slightly. As if in a dream, Sarah reached out to touch the delicately shimmering frond. At her touch, the vibration diminished slightly, but she recognized it.

It was her empathic trance hum.

The hum increased, and Sarah looked around her. Now all the fungus within her sight was vibrating sympathetically and the hum increased.

Sarah's vision wavered, but her perception expanded. She could 'see' herself, and the finger of fungus she stood in. The fungus seemed to shimmer with life and energy, as did her form within the fungus. In contrast, the nearby farm field looked dead and brown.

Visions and voices, not articulated but understood, caressed Sarah's mind: many voices, deep with understanding and acceptance, with questions and queries. They were many voices, yet one voice.

Sarah closed her eyes and a slow, beatific smile spread across her face. She raised her arms above the fungus near her.

This was home! Belonging!

The fungus grew, reaching out to enfold Sarah, tendrils and stalks touching and folding.

And the fungus sang!

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited October 20, 1999).]
Old October 20, 1999, 01:09   #82
Hydro
King

Sparta Command

Field Marshal Hui Wang of 2nd Armor stood looking out of his large Command Center office window that overlooked his city of Sparta Command. Night was falling, and no one was on the streets - curfew was now rigidly emplaced with no exceptions.

Not even for Field Marshals - especially not for Field Marshals.

Earlier today soldiers lead by a stiff lieutenant from the 469th had come and 'suggested' that his staff return home for the duration of the emergency. They had also 'suggested' that the honored Field Marshal return home, and had offered an 'escort'.

Wang declined, citing the upcoming hostilities of 2nd Armor Lightning Strike against the Hive. Very reluctantly, the suspicious lieutenant left. He did, however, did his staff.

That was disconcerting. He was alone.

Wang turned from the window and paced to his desk and sat down. He cupped his aged hands in his lap.

Unless something drastically changed, Burge will succeed in pulling off his coup. Any trial of Allardyce is likely be a drumhead, with the outcome pre-ordained by the accusing officer Burge.

Broiling, uncomfortable thoughts coursed through Wang's mind.

Has Sparta slipped so far? Never in the long and sometimes dark history of Sparta have its leaders been reduced to such infighting, and such obvious plays for power. The Burge I have known for 60 years would never do this thing. He is an honorable and courageous man. I know Allardyce, too. He is political, but not a dictator. Neither is Burge.

It does not make sense!

Still, Burge needs the appearance of legitimacy. Some members of his military must at least tacitly approve his trial of Allardyce. He has Miller, St. James, Levavassier, Macmillan, but they are known supporters of Allardyce. That leaves very few potential supporters. Namely me. And Lockhart.

This is wrong.

Where is Corazon!!!

For the second time in two weeks, Wang activated the mechanism embedded deep in his cerebral cortex so long ago on Earth. No one on Chiron could duplicate it now, nor would they be able to any time in the near future. It was the reason Wang refused rejuvenation - it would be discovered.

Wang composed and sent Santiago this message:

Corazon. Wherever you are, Sparta is in peril. Allardyce is captive and accused of treason. Burge has assumed complete control, but is nowhere to be found. The 469th holds Sparta Command. We need your leadership as never before!

W.

Old October 20, 1999, 11:00   #83
korn469
Emperor

Spartan Federation Capital Building
Sparta Command
16:34 hours SMT

Googlie was setting on the floor when the door opened and a man and woman walked in. He knew the woman, but just barely, it was Maria Constageura, the Spartan Federation Minister of Youth Education. She was a lander and member of the Junta, but she been on an extended sabbatical and she had not made a public appearance in four years. The other was in drop troop full battle fatigues but Googlie had never seen him before. He walked over to Googlie, shook his hand, and shot him a smile.

"Governor Allardyce I am Major Javed of the 469th, I've been designated your military counsel. I must appologize for the way you were arrested. The squad assigned to arrest you was supposed to do it in a civil mannor, but tensions were running high. They have been disiplined." Googlie nodded, the squad who arrest was deadly efficent. Since then he had been locked up here in a senators office, the conditions of his imprisonment could definatly have been worse.

"I understand Major, i guess every young officer wants to make a good impression on his superiors, and maybe he was trying a little bit too hard." Googlie could remember all the times he had tried to hard to make a good impression.

"You are correct govenor. This here is Minister Maria Constageura, she is going to be your voice before the Junta..." she cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

"Scott" she had always called him Scott on the rare occasions when they had spoke she never became familiar enough to use Googlie with him, "you're in alot of trouble, and since I'm the only member of the Junta who Honshu considers impartial, I'm going to have to defend you." Unless you knew her she seemed very stern, not that she was a mean person, she just never had time for pleasantries. "Major Javed has already went over the charges with me. Your trial is starts in abour an hour so that doesn't give us much time. Since you are a member of the Junta, they are going to try you before the Junta. You trial is first, if convicted the Junta will pass judgement on you." She stopped to see if he was following her, and he nodded his head. "Now Scott, if they find you guilty, then they will try your friend before a military court, but at that point the outcome of her trial will not be in question. She will be found guilty of treason and conspiracy against the Federation and they will execute her in front of a firing squad immediately. However the Junta will pass a sentance against you, and who knows what they will decided on. HBut if they find you innocent, the actress will go free, so both of your lives depend on this trial. Do you understand this." She seemed like she was teaching in a Children's Creche, the way she acted she could have been going over instructions to her class before they went on a field trip.

"Yes I understand completely..." He was about to say something else when she cut him off.

"Good. Now then, since your trial is before the Junta, we won't be able to bring in a witness to refute Burge's holo, however he cannot use it as evidence against you either. I saw it and it is very damning Scott. However, this is a political trial, so even if they prove you are guilty of treason all we have to do is convince enough members of the Junta not to convict you. Originally, Burge wanted a military trial with General Lockhart as your judge and the Junta as observers, however a few hours ago a contingent of Gaian fighters left this base escorting Colonel Santiago to safety. Is that correct Major?"

"Yes Madame Minister it is."

"Well because you and your friend were already in custody Scott, that leaves only two possibilities for who was on that plane. Either it was the real Colonel Santiago back from the dead..." Googlie started to say something but she didn't let him, "or it was another imposter. Now I have no idea how many people are impersonating Colonel Santiago, but the computer says that the voice on that plane was most likely Colonel Santiago's. General Lockhart had no idea either, so he decided to let the Junta take care of its own and they now have the 'honor' of trying you." This was the first good news Googlie had heard all day! Corrie had managed to get away. He felt like a huge burden had been lifted off him. He had been pondering all day why Ashaandi would move against him, and all he could come up with is that somehow Ashaandi new Santiago was coming back today, and he decided to move against her before she could compromise his position. He started smiling and now started thinking how of how he could prove that Burge was really Ashaandi. His thought must have wandered because Maria smacked her hand down on the table making a loud noise that brought his attention back.

"Pay attention Scott, they dragged me out her from my flower garden and I don't want to be here anymore than you do."

"I'm sorry." He was still smiling, and then completely focused on her.

"Could you please wipe that smile off your face, Honshu is the Chief Magistrate of the Junta and I know he doesn't want you smiling at him. God Scott, why did you have to decide to look so young coming of the tanks? Most of us try to look wise and distinguished, they'll probably use that as evidence against you." She let out a disgusted sigh. "Major Javed brought your uniform for you, I’m going to leave but when I come back I want you looking respectable." She left and then Major Javed took a freshly pressed uniform out and handed it to him. Googlie let out a little chuckle, but on the inside he rolling with laughter. He just then realized that while preparing for one of the most somber occasions in his life, he was barely dressed, wearing only a pair of pajama bottoms.
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited October 20, 1999).]
Old October 20, 1999, 13:56   #84
Hydro
King

Morgan Industries

The middle-aged doctor of Morgan Rejuvenation, Inc. brought a contract forward and Morgan Junior signed with a flourish, then submitted a thumbprint and retinal scan verification. As required by protocol, she verified Junior’s identity and authorization. In this case it was purely a formality, but taking responsibility for a breach of contract was always a serious business, and proper protocols had to be followed.

“Doctor, please begin the resuscitation,” Junior stated.

The doctor nodded and walked over to the rejuvenation tank. She keyed in her authorization and identity and started the premature resuscitation of the recumbent figure encased in gel within the tank.

Umbilicals snaked forward to all parts of the naked male’s body, administering a biochem cocktail that would stop and stabilize the rejuvenation. The subject had asked to be physically in his late 20s, but would have to settle for early 30s.

Already flickers of movement coursed through his body as the automated programs stimulated the new muscle mass and increased all body functions to normal.

A slight smile played across Junior’s face as he examined the body of Salvador “The Gecko” St. James.

An attendant helped Salvador out of the warm shower, and immediately started toweling his hair dry. He was unresisting, but was progressively becoming aware of his environment and those around him.

The Gecko looked around the room, and a glint of comprehension and memory flickered in his eyes. He looked down and saw his hale form and smiled.

“Ahm, Miss? That’s OK. I can finish now. Where are my clothes?” Salvador asked as the young lady was busy toweling his chest dry, and was quickly getting to his midsection and beyond. Familiar stirrings threatened to erupt as his hormonal system was fully in place, and significantly augmented due to his newfound youth.

“As you wish, sir,” she said. She sauntered to a built in wardrobe and selected a casual set of navy slacks and muted gold shirt, and silk under pants and socks with synthleather shoes. Gecko looked at her questioningly as she brought them.

Anticipating his question, she replied, “These are the compliments of Nwabudike Morgan, Junior. He selected them himself, and will be here shortly, if you will receive him.”

“Why, certainly!” Gecko looked over the simple outfit and nodded approvingly. It was a bit flashy, but that was fine now. The young can be flashy without embarrassment!

“Shall I show him in?” she asked solicitously.

“Ah, wait a moment,” Gecko said as he pulled on his clothes. They were a perfect fit, and felt wonderful.

Particularly the silk boxers!

Wait ‘til Trisha gets a load of these! he thought.

The attendant turned and left as he finished dressing. A moment later Morgan Junior walked in.

“Mr. St. James, I must apologize for your early awakening. I have deprived you of the last 5 years of your rejuvenation, and have personally signed the breach of contract penalty. Please, let these small gifts partially ameliorate any ill will you may have.”

“Early awakening? I’ve been awakened early? Why?”

“I would not, of course, do such a thing in an arbitrary and capricious manner. I’m afraid events have changed significantly since you entered rejuvenation, and events have conspired that may require your attention. You see, the Spartan and Morgan Federations are now allied against Yang, who is under assault from us and the Gaians. While important, the more pressing issue is a coup within Sparta, which threatens the alliance. Your old fiend Scott is on trial for treason, apparently, and has been deposed by Burge. Interestingly, Coronal Corazon Santiago is here at Morgan Industries, apparently in exile…”

“Cory is here! Are you sure?!!” Gecko exclaimed, as his surprise turned into shock.

“Yes, it is she. She, too, had been in the care of Morgan Rejuvenation, Inc. at the facility located at Morgan Bank. I took it upon my purgative to awaken you, since she may wish to confer with you. She does not, of course, know of your location. I suspect that no one knows of your location,” Junior replied

Gecko smiled. “Well, thank you! I owe you one! Can you take me to see Cory now?”

“I will take you right away. They are probably in conference with Father.”

“Great! Oh, and thank you for the clothes! You have excellent taste. It isn’t what I would have chosen, but is seems appropriate for someone who is 28 again!”

“Not 28. 33.”

“Oh, yes. I feel the same. What difference does five years make, anyway?”

“With rejuvenation, none at all! None at all!”

Together, they walked out of the room, and up to the Morgan Governmental Palace Council Chamber.
Old October 20, 1999, 15:40   #85
Slats
Warlord

ADMIRALTY BASE
AIRFIELD BRIEFING ROOM

Mario looked around the room at his fellow soldiers. Occupying the various chairs and tables sat some of the most veteran pilots in SAC. Along with his own aircraft, Pinwheel 5, the four aircraft formerly of the Plex Anthill detachment had been diverted here as well as another inexperienced crew originally from Janissary Rock. This meant that more than half of 4th Wing’s active aircrew now filled the room. In all his short career, Mario had never seen so many SAC pilots in one room. Yet they were not the only airmen there that night.

The Rolling Thunder’s ground support Aardvark flight of 5 aircraft had also arrived. The Vark pilots had already met several of the Spartan airmen at Plex Anthill and chatted easily with them.

The pilot of Pinwheel 2, Bert Evans, the most senior airman present, took the stand beside a large holoprojection screen which displayed a recent satellite photo of the area surrounding Labourer’s Throng. The room automatically fell silent apart from the occasional slurp or munch as the hungry crews consumed snacks as they watched. Bert’s booming voice rang out clearly.

“Well people, it’s been quite a trip for many of us here. And now it’s time to take the fight to the Hive”.

The room buzzed as everyone murmured their agreement. Bert went on:

“Tomorrow morning Spartan forces will assault Labourer’s Throng. We will first refuel at Zanzibar to maximise our time over the area before clearing the area around Throng of defences and ensure security for the primary phase of the seaborne landings”.

“Once the defences have been neutralised, Spartan naval groups, currently sheltering at the free port of Zanzibar, will transport troops to the area and seize control of the base. Understand: this operation MUST succeed. It could all change the course of the war. And make no mistake, Yang will try to stop us. Now all of you know that it’s probably going to get pretty hairy up there, it appears Yang’s boys haven’t been sitting on their thumbs all this time. Morgan Pharmaceuticals is testament to that”.

“That was pure luck”, whispered Mario to his weapons officer, Craig, who grinned.

Evans was now onto the targeting brief. He used a laser pointer to indicate areas on the holoprojected map as he spoke.

“You’ve all got your assignments in your briefing packs, but so that everyone understands what’s happening, we’ll quickly run through it. No offence intended, but 4th Wing aircraft will make up the first wave.”

The Aardvark pilots send up a loud, mocking cheer as they shoved and pushed the SAC pilots jovially.

“All Indigo’s will provide air cover but not before this bunker line, here, is destroyed along with this strong point south of the perimeter. Chaos shells should be enough but you have your air to surface missiles if needed.

Penetrators will take out the hardened targets with missiles or tele-operated glide bombs. Pinwheel 3 will destroy the harbour garrison depot and sea wall while Pin 5 targets the pillboxes defending the main entrance to Throng itself. My crew will destroy this communications relay and then these dug in infantry positions above the cliffs. After this phase of the attack is complete, 4th Wing units will withdraw to refuel and rearm and then return to take part in the actual assault.

By this time Spartan fleet units should have reached the area and will have commenced their offshore bombardment. The second airborne package will strengthened in addition by the Varks who will provide close fire support with our penetrators during the ground assault”.

Bert paused to see if anyone had any problems with the plan so far. No one spoke up.

“Need I remind anyone that any foils, ships, rovers or wandering patrol groups are all valid secondary targets. That’s it troops. We launch in three hours, try and get some sleep”.

Bert left out the fact they had lost contact with SAC headquarters at Sparta Command. Something serious was going down, but at the moment this group wasn’t in a position to deal with it…

The first rising sun glowed orange red as it peeked above the horizon. Beneath, Mario watched the aqua marine ocean surface slip by peacefully. The other five aircraft in the formation held their positions as steady as rocks, bumping only over the odd thermal updraft current.
Flying a mere 50 feet above the surface, early in the morning, carrying a full munitions load could be classed as dangerous flying but all the crews handled it like a walk in the park, cool professionalism masking whatever fears any of them had. At this height it was hoped the Hive radar net wouldn’t find the strike package amid the ground clutter. Mario had just finished tweaking the navigation system when Bert’s voice crackled over the scrambled commlink.

“By the numbers, check in…”

“Pinwheel Three is green”.

“Pinwheel Five is green” rattled Mario.

“Indigo Two is green”.

“Indigo Three is green”.

“Indigo Four is green and good to go”, hooted Pedro cheerfully from his ‘pit.

“Sounds good everyone, Pinwheel Three take lead, we await your release”.

“Roger Lead, Three is up and will have pickle in 8 minutes”.

Up ahead, Pinwheel Two and Three swapped positions as Three, Ranjit’s ship, was detailed to take the harbour facilities which would appear over the horizon first. The flight wasn’t approaching the city dead on but at an angle from the side. This was because the glide weapons being carried were slower than the actual aircraft so the Spartans would release their weapons from the side and then circle back round to attack again.

The minutes ticked by with aching slowness.

“Flight, this is Pinwheel Three, pickle in four, three, two, one… Bombs away.

Instead of dramatically dropping away, the two fat glider bombs floated away from the fuselage of Penetrator and began to descend slowly toward the faraway glittering lights of the enemy port.

The night supervisor in the Hive command center had just about drifted off to sleep when an alarm sounded. Someone down at the docks had just sounded an alarm. The man dialed up a security camera on his console and swept the view across the scene. Admit shattered rubble and broken support struts, fires were already beginning to spread. The harbour garrison bunker and armory had ceased to exist. As the supervisor reached for an alert panel one, two, four, seven alarms began to sound!!!! The man’s hand mashed onto an alert switch when he realized the pattern. Hive fortifications were being blown off the map.

To those unfortunates posted outside that morning, it seemed as though an invisible force was digging out the Hive infestation, rooting them out from their plascrete burrows. Dark shapes screamed overhead, howling their fury.

A corporal over in Bunker 4 had just stood up at hearing the low crumps which signified an impact on the surface. He hadn’t had long to think when a Spartan Arms depleted uranium core Bunker Buster missile seared its way through the thick wall and detonated.

All over the planet word came in, the attack on Labourer’s Throng had begun.

[This message has been edited by Slats (edited October 20, 1999).]
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 1999, 19:09   #86
Hydro
King

UN Headquarters

Commissioner Pravin Lal walked into his office exhausted again. It took all his energy to keep the various factions in his parliamentary-style government united. His dark brown eyes had bags under them, and he was too thin. Long and flowing, his gown only accentuated his shoulders, which sloped as if the weight of the world were upon him.

At his plain desk made of real wood, Pravin put his palms on the edge and leaned forward, hanging his head.

There were so many interests! One coalition would be formed, only to dissolve over some other, invariably petty, dispute or personality conflict! It was like he was at the center of an amoeba, trying to hold its amorphous sides from spreading out.

After 10 hours of meetings and sidebars Pravin was tired, mentally and physically. Still there was work that had to be done.

Straightening, he walked around his desk to his hand carved chair. Sitting, he swiveled around and called up his Industry Minister’s report, which had been languishing for over 2 weeks.

Minister Kalti was of the Loyal Opposition. Although a good man, Lal knew enough to check his reports. Trust is one thing, but implicit trust is quite another.

Pravin scrolled through the holodocument and touch activated the displays for each city. Most showed the progress of an important piece of infrastructure, like a recreation center in smaller communities, tree farms in mid-sized cities, and research hospitals and habitation centers in established metropolises. It was very satisfying seeing the excellent progress these efforts were making.

Even more satisfying was that a land-based colony had been established north of UN Data Acquisition, a sea colony in the energy-rich Geothermal Shadows, and a second sea colony on the west side of Mt. Planet, south of Spartan territory.

Pravin was briefly confused. Why put a base near Mt. Planet? That is far from our territory, and sure to irritate the Spartans.

He examined the map again, and noted that the new base was far from land or sea claims by the Spartans – it was unclaimed territory. Pravin dismissed it from his mind.

Turning back to his build queues, he noticed three cities with only vague descriptions of what they were building: Planetary Trust, UN Great Refuge, and Amnesty Town. All the descriptions said was ‘prototype defensive garrison’.

Prototype? We have no need to prototype.

Pravin made a mental note to ask Minister Kalti about those entries.

Then his rubbed his eyes in fatigue. Looking at his holo queue, it started to blur. He turned it off and looked at his world map instead. His eyes lighted on the Hive and Morgan Federation, the current hop spots. A week ago it had been four bases which ‘voluntarily’ suceeded from Yang to joing Morgan. Lal snorted at Morgan’s treachery. The weeks before that it had been Plex Anthill and Zanzibar. Before that it was the abortive Hive attack on Assassin’s Redoubt and Ft. Superiority.

While the rest of the world tears itself apart in horrible, fratricidal war, my people continue to hold true to their ideals: peace, human rights, and the UN Charter. That is all that keeps me going, Pravin thought to himself. Even my Spartan allies drift from my hard-fought ideals. How long can I hold out? How long can I continue to hope, and pray, that the Spartans will not continue along the path toward being the warmongers they seemingly are becoming again? I had thought they had learned during their nasty war with Zakharov.

Maybe I have failed there, too?

Now even this simple map was starting to blur. Pravin got up and walked to the low couch to take a nap.

Council was in three hours.

Lal curled on his side and was instantly asleep.
Old October 20, 1999, 19:11   #87
Hydro
King

Quote from Fluffy the Mindworm: I love double posts BURP!

Old October 20, 1999, 19:15   #88
Hydro
King

Ehm: burp I love double posts, too!
Old October 20, 1999, 19:19   #89
Hydro
King

BUUUUURRRRP!: Alphonse
Old October 20, 1999, 22:50   #90
Googlie
Emperor

Googlie's Insurance expired, Morgan Insurance Corporation

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited October 22, 1999).]