Old April 25, 2003, 15:59   #1
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does it anger you that the elite of your country is robbing its citizens blind?
Or are you trying your best to make it to the top 1% so you can join them?

Now I understand why the symbol of the Illuminati is on your money!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	43254  
Old April 25, 2003, 16:09   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey, we could all win the lottery. Then we'll be glad we had this tax cut.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 25, 2003, 16:11   #3
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Yeah, my family is in the 23% tax relief bracket!!!

And yet, I do not support the tax cuts?

Weird.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 25, 2003, 16:11   #4
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
nope. that seems fair - to me!
Old April 25, 2003, 16:13   #5
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:11
this chart is wrong

you sure you dont have it upside down?
Old April 25, 2003, 16:16   #6
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:11
Considering the Top 1% pays the most taxes.. who really is being robbed? $53,000 for a tax cut is nothing compared with what they would pay in total.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:19   #7
Japher
Emperor

Yup, and nope it doesn't bother me. The idea of the tax cut is to increase spending. If you would compare that table to those who hold the most wealth then would see the logic.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:23   #8
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
well, a)i am
Quote:
trying your best to make it to the top 1% so you can join them

b) it doesn't bother me so much, because the government doesn't know how to handle money in the first place. it'll give it to anyone.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:24   #9
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

It's about time I got more relief. Glad I voted for him.

RAH
And it is hard to provide tax relief to people that don't pay taxes.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:26   #10
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Yup, and nope it doesn't bother me. The idea of the tax cut is to increase spending. If you would compare that table to those who hold the most wealth then would see the logic.
except that, past a certain point, the money is no longer being 'spent'.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 25, 2003, 16:28   #11
Vesayen
King

me, but I know im powerless to stop it
Old April 25, 2003, 16:28   #12
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
Quote:
OK - the problem with this logic is that the government spends the tax it collects.

The real question is why it's supposedly better for these people to spend it than the government to spend it.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:31   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Considering the Top 1% pays the most taxes.. who really is being robbed?
Considering they can AFFORD it
Old April 25, 2003, 16:32   #14
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

it doesn't bother me so much, because the government doesn't know how to handle money in the first place. it'll give it to anyone.
Rubbish. The reason that western countries have a mixed economy is that is the most efficient kind of economy possible. Government spending on things like health care and education is extremely prudent because the private sector would fail to invest in these at the optimum level. We have taxation because of market failure.

At some point lowering taxes increases inefficiency rather than decreasing it. Given the US low position on the UNHDI and Canada's high position, guess whose economy functions better to provide its people with the resources they need.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:33   #15
Japher
Emperor

Just want to point out that those in that top 1% ussually don't have "incomes" of that much, rather they receive "compensations" in that amount. Why does this matter? Compensations, beyond regular "salary" amounts are taxed either at higher rates, or multiple times. I.e. bonus' - taxed at 40% (or somewhere around there up to a certain amount). Stock options - depending on the type those who receive will be taxed twice in order to exercise the stock, or the tax will be levied to the company that issued them.

In that case, those in that top 1% are already getting reemed with taxes, and that is why they are going to benefit the most, since Bush is trying to eliminate double taxation on investments.

Those in the next catagory (210,000 earners) also generally receive this kind of compensation, but to lesser degrees.

The jump in tax cut benefits to the next two/three catagories is justifieable, since these ppl account for the greatest spreaders of wealth, and the largest pop, and IMO (biased as it may be), are best suited to rekindle the economy.

My two cents.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:34   #16
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Considering the Top 1% pays the most taxes.. who really is being robbed?
It's not a case of robbery unless you buy into silly and incoherent right wing theories of property rights.

What you get in a market system is largely a matter of luck rather than desert. We don't have mixed-market systems because they reflect some moral order, but because they are extremely efficient at allocating resources.

Anyone who doesn't realise this basic point shouldn't be talking about the issue.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:37   #17
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
The real question is why it's supposedly better for these people to spend it than the government to spend it.
Because "these ppl" are more likely to invest in the private sectors of the economy; the real bread earners.

Quote:
Considering they can AFFORD it
Spoken like a person who has a thread begging for money.

Agathon: Good points. I am wondering how this affects corprate finances and taxation?
Old April 25, 2003, 16:39   #18
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

since Bush is trying to eliminate double taxation on investments.
This is a red herring. We could divide the present tax system into five different taxes or consolidate it in one tax. It's the amount that matters.

Quote:
The jump in tax cut benefits to the next two/three catagories is justifieable, since these ppl account for the greatest spreaders of wealth, and the largest pop, and IMO (biased as it may be), are best suited to rekindle the economy.
I'd like to see the evidence for these claims. Why should it matter that these people spend it instead of somebody else. If you gave more money to poor people they would almost certainly spend it on consumer goods because that's what they need the most. If you want to stimulate demand that seems like a much better option.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:39   #19
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 17:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Because I know how to spend my money better than some unmotivated, imcompetent bureaucrats.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:40   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Considering the Top 1% pays the most taxes.
They benefit disproportiantely from the American system, they should disproportionately pay for it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 25, 2003, 16:42   #21
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Why should it matter that these people spend it instead of somebody else. If you gave more money to poor people they would almost certainly spend it on consumer goods because that's what they need the most. If you want to stimulate demand that seems like a much better option.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:43   #22
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless

Because I know how to spend my money better than some unmotivated, imcompetent bureaucrats.
So Americans who tend to spend their money on foreign imports are helping the U.S. economy more than the government, which spends the money on domestic industry and infrastructure?

I have a hard time believing that. The "Incompetent Bureaucrat" line may play to the anti-government crowd, but it's devoid of substance.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:47   #23
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Rubbish. The reason that western countries have a mixed economy is that is the most efficient kind of economy possible. Government spending on things like health care and education is extremely prudent because the private sector would fail to invest in these at the optimum level. We have taxation because of market failure.
it's prudent, yes. but the problem is, once you get down into the details, you have bureaucrats who don't know how to use the money they're given.
for example: the county my mom works for as a teacher recently spent several thousand to open up a montessori branch at select schools. however, rather than moving teachers that it already had availible that were qualified and certified by the AMI, the highest montessori educational board, they spent more money hiring brand new teachers who didn't have said certification.

then, you have all of those damned pork projects.

by and large, a good deal of government spending isn't bad. unfortunately, when you get into details, that's when it seems downright dumb.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:51   #24
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

But how is the spending by consumers better?

I would point you to the horrendous amount of credit card debt that the average American has to demonstrate that most Americans are probably as incompetent with their spending as any government bureaucrat. The question stands: what makes the American people any better at spending than the government?

And again, at least with the government, there is a little more assurance that the funds are being misspent domestically rather than internationally!
Old April 25, 2003, 16:52   #25
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:11
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

They benefit disproportiantely from the American system, they should disproportionately pay for it.
Well you are trying to destroy the free market... so bah! The Freer the market, the freer the people.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:54   #26
Japher
Emperor

Boris: I am no economist or anything, but at least when the public spends the government still gets a portion of it, unlike if the goverment spends.

???
Old April 25, 2003, 16:55   #27
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
But how is the spending by consumers better?
because when they get fvcked over by their bad spending, they can't blame anybody else.

besides, there's a good deal of individualism here. i'd much rather have my money go to waste on things i choose rather than have my money go to waste by some other person, whom i don't like, deciding.

as for the domestic/foreign thing, well, that i have no answer to.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:57   #28
Japher
Emperor

That is still a preference/opinion instead of a reason or hard translation into facts on how that would better spur the economy.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:59   #29
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

it's prudent, yes. but the problem is, once you get down into the details, you have bureaucrats who don't know how to use the money they're given.
You can always give examples of bad spending, whether or not it's by government bureaucrats or corporate bureaucrats. You still haven't given a general reason as to why government spending is somehow worse. In fact government spending is more accountable than private spending because incompetent governments are accountable to all the voters whereas private spending is (only in some cases) accountable to shareholders.

Quote:
for example: the county my mom works for as a teacher recently spent several thousand to open up a montessori branch at select schools. however, rather than moving teachers that it already had availible that were qualified and certified by the AMI, the highest montessori educational board, they spent more money hiring brand new teachers who didn't have said certification.
Before I'd assent to this example I'd want to know why they did this.

Quote:
then, you have all of those damned pork projects.
Like public health care, education, etc.

Quote:
by and large, a good deal of government spending isn't bad. unfortunately, when you get into details, that's when it seems downright dumb.
One could say the exactly same about private spending.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:00   #30
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Agathon:

Quote:
OK - the problem with this logic is that the government spends the tax it collects.

Two reasons.
1. Absent externalities (discussed below) people are better off if they can spend the money on what they choose than what the government chooses.

2. Economists estimate that in the US each dollar of taxation chokes off about 20 cents of econmic activity.

Conservatives often claim that higher income people are likely to invest the money increasing future production. However, if the government has to borrow to cover a deficit, the money comes entirely out of savings, so the economy is worse off.

Quote:
First, why is spending health or education indicative of a market failure? Many people in the US provide for their own healthcare and education without any government involvement. Aside from public health issues (eg communicable diseases), if I spend on health or education, I reap all of the benefits. No failure here.

Second, there are vast ranges of government spending which have nothing to do with remedying market failure. Eg, corporate subsidies.

Third, there are many areas where both government and the private sector provide the same service. Examples which come quickly to mind in the US include schools, hospitals, trash collection, transportation, and electric power. Economists have found, uniformly, that the private sector provides these services mroe efficiently becauses it uses resources more efficiently.

Quote:
What you get in a market system is largely a matter of luck rather than desert.
The evidence from labor economics indicates otherwise. In other words, much more of the variation in income can be explained by level of schooling or hours worked than remains in the random variation.