Old April 26, 2003, 04:41   #1
SteveB
Settler

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Commfreq and Votes
In experimenting with custom faction creation I have experienced problems with COMMFREQ, 0 not working at all. Is this feature broken or is ther something the matter with my syntax?

I thought it was the order of which settings appear first, but I have tried this setting as the only setting in a custom faction - but no joy. Anybody got this to work?

Secondly, I'd like a custom faction to have +50% votes but VOTES, 1.5 didn't work. Integers work - is that the rule? Would that also rule out -50% votes VOTES, 0.5 ?

I can live without Commfreq but I'd really like Votes to work.

Any other "undocumented features" about custom faction editing that anyone would care to share?

SteveB
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 02:21   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Votes are in multiples of 100% (start facedit, then load the peacekeepers (peace) and you'll see how the bonus vote special works)

And then go into "Rules" in the facedit, and you'll see the commfrequency button - it would seem that the only choices are none or 1 extra commfrequency at the start of the game

G.
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 09:33   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:13
Quote:
Secondly, I'd like a custom faction to have +50% votes but VOTES, 1.5 didn't work. Integers work - is that the rule? Would that also rule out -50% votes VOTES, 0.5 ?
If you really want them to have +50% votes, give your custom faction +200% votes, while you double the votes of everyone else.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:15   #4
SteveB
Settler

Local Time: 00:13
Thanks for your replies.

BTW - I tend to manually edit the faction text files with a bit of help from ACEdit, facedit hangs on my system!
I also have SMACX, and the original CD is copyable with the right tool, you know. For backup purposes of course! - I'd be screwed without a personal backup of SMACX now that it has been withdrawn.

Googlie - I use the tick box in ACEdit labelled "1 faction frequency at the beginning", which writes the setting COMMFREQ, 0 into the faction text file OK (I've tried editing it to COMMFREQ, 1) - but it dosen't seem to work in the game.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a downloadable faction file, possibly one from networknode.org, that contains the COMMFREQ setting and has seen it work in the game?

Maniac - I'd never thought of that! It does require every other faction to be edited, and the VOTES setting is one of the 8 faction bonuses that can be included in a faction file, but thanks for the insight.

-50% votes - my faction VOTES, 1 all other factions VOTES, 2
+50% votes - my faction VOTES, 3 all other factions VOTES, 2

Civ 3 looks pretty but SMAC/X goes to proves that its personality that counts in the long run.
My mum was right all along.

SteveB
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote