Old April 26, 2003, 23:53   #31
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
but now... you attack a poor greek guy over one minor typo... yikes.
Paiktis? A poor Greek guy?

The uber-troll deserves whatever he gets.
Old April 26, 2003, 23:56   #32
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:15
Hey I was a troll before... I feel bad for the guy... no matter how delusional...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 26, 2003, 23:58   #33
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
You at one point were kinda charming I must admit.. but now... you attack a poor greek guy over one minor typo... yikes.
I am not attacking him. I could care less.

I am helping someone out. What have you done for someone today?
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old April 27, 2003, 00:03   #34
Giancarlo
King

"I'm still rather astonished at the raw irony and furthered political embarrassment for the inept Greeks this multi-faceted literary gem provides."

Nice help. You could of said... you made a typo. Not call him an embarassment. Sure his political views are dumb... but don't be so harsh on the poor guy. I was kinda like him before...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 27, 2003, 00:08   #35
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
"I'm still rather astonished at the raw irony and furthered political embarrassment for the inept Greeks this multi-faceted literary gem provides."

Nice help. You could of said... you made a typo. Not call him an embarassment. Sure his political views are dumb... but don't be so harsh on the poor guy. I was kinda like him before...
I didn't say that.

Again, I didn't say that. Try being a little more aware of the entire post.

"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old April 27, 2003, 00:12   #36
Giancarlo
King

Okay, whatever I am not going to argue with you.
Old April 27, 2003, 00:14   #37
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Okay, whatever I am not going to argue with you.
That is all I'm asking, since I didn't write those posts.
Old April 27, 2003, 00:35   #38
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Apoc : could we know who you are quoting ?
Old April 27, 2003, 00:47   #39
Apocalypse
Emperor

Just read the title of the first three posts...

It's not hard.
Old April 27, 2003, 01:15   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:15

And I've red them already, without understanding.
I really should get some sleep
Old April 27, 2003, 01:17   #41
Apocalypse
Emperor

It says "ALONG WITH THE 500, 000 CASUALTIES (by Zylka)," "Another response from Zylka....," and "More response from Zylka."

So, now do you know who wrote them?
Old April 27, 2003, 02:02   #42
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:15
Re: More response from Zylka
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
B - Mandarin [ is ] absolutely useless and ultimately dying.

oh......my..........GOD........Also note the arabic rankings, and how its "growing"

50 Most Widely Spoken Languages

Askmen.com Most Spoken Languages in World

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0775272.html Note Chinese (aka Mandarin) has twice as many speakers as English....

SoYouWanna.com Note it lists it as a 2-1 ratio.

I think I can stop now. You get the point
Old April 27, 2003, 02:04   #43
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Re: Re: More response from Zylka
Oh, and I could point out that china has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is considered by many to be the ULTIMATE candidate for "superpower" status......But I'm a nice guy, so I won't
Old April 27, 2003, 02:07   #44
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Lets condence the report to the basic facts:

In march 1998, Iraqi agents approached Al Qaeda and then had a meeting. The Iraqis think it went werll and talk about inviting Osama, then........NOTHING.

Did a second meeeting ever occur? Did any sort of relation crop up? Any evidence that Iraq ever gave any material or intelligence support to Al Qaeda?

The argument pre-war was that Iraq would give WMD's to Al Qaeda to use vs the US: does this paper imrpove this basic argument in any real way? I say, no.
I totally agree that this story is relatively minor. However, its relevance is that it is a sign of things to come.

Think about this document in the context of how it was recovered. Considering that this was apparently found among a mishmash of files they quickly tossed in a bag so they could get out of there, just imagine what will be found when a more thorough search is performed.
Old April 28, 2003, 01:22   #45
Apocalypse
Emperor

Another post from Zylka (Not Apoc)
I'll graciously take the Ruski's ignorant hand in explaining the specifics as well:

A – With twice as many speaking Mandarin than English today, care to look up how that ranks financially? Oh wait, that's right! China is one of the aforementioned DIRTHOLES full of million large slums of peasants speaking your precious mandarin to barter for filthy cigarettes, rice, rotting oranges, and any tattered hand me downs the western charity bin offers. If it's been a good week, it's then off to the dump to pick through several hours of trash in search of a nice corrugated sheet of aluminum to take home as a new addition to the roof! Useless, or not? I know my class of business sees this a waste of time, but would care to hear whether or not it feeds a Russian contently?

With China's recent performance, the established superpower predictions have been pushed back well beyond our own lifetime, and that's if they don't in any way f*ck up big - which the Chinese and any state even labeled communist seems prone to doing. Bottom line, China will never lead the world like the US does today – and many are beginning to admit that they won't ever hold the top spot, period. Even the EU would be uniform enough an organization to challenge US supremacy well before. In any case, keep your Mandarin if it so serves your litchi nut craving on a hot smoggy day in downtown Shanghai.

B – Arabic is currently growing only to a near plateau due to the general availability of sustainable environments in this region. Given what a poor, human rights abusing side of the world it is anyway - I can't even begin to fathom your suggestion that it holds any relative importance (other than an aid to whatever flavor of the month war we're fighting).

So I'll break the above down into points you need to remember

1. Mandarin is useless, has spread only to urban emigrant pockets - and will die constrained in its home region
2. Arabic is useless, has spread near nowhere – and will die constrained in its home region even faster
3. Due to Imperial establishment, Spanish continues to grow in numerous regions and will continue to do so
4. Due to Imperial establishment, today's wide international lead in business and institutional acceptance, and extended room for increasing populous - English will continue to grow in numerous regions and always be of most importance

Meaning poor little Tass has no savior to knock his mutherland's victor off the top linguistic spot. It will stay that way at least for the rest of our lives – SO I DEEM THEE WORTHLESS FOREVER!!!
Old April 28, 2003, 01:56   #46
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Pretty good analysis Z.

Mis Novias
Old April 28, 2003, 03:28   #47
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 01:15
Let's be fair though, paiktis22's illiteracy doesn't stop the British press from being crap, which they undoubtedly are. I wouldn't believe a Telegraph journalist any further than I could throw them.

To look at it from another perspective, imagine the US had been invaded and beaten by another country who holds values completely contrary to your own. If a terrorist organisation existed to try and bring that country down, would you regard them as terrorists or freedom fighters?

While I disagree with cooperating or helping terrorists under any circumstances, I am quite sure the US govt does not, despite their rhetoric.

I think there were good enough reasons for invading Iraq (with UN backing) and, no matter how unpalatable they are, I would have a lot more respect for GW and his lackeys if they just told us the truth, rather than relying on this sort of trash.
Old April 28, 2003, 03:52   #48
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

Salem Pak
copy and paste this one

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/col...sts.guest.html

heheh

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...s/khodada.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/wo...salman_pak.htm
Old April 28, 2003, 03:54   #49
sprucemoose3311
Chieftain

attempt to get you to link
copy and paste, fix so it works:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/cold/photos_prove

_connection_between_iraq_and_al_qaeda_terrorists.g uest.html
Old April 28, 2003, 06:17   #50
Nubclear

Re: attempt to get you to link
Ah, finally found this thread again. I thought it was in a language debate thread. I wonder why

Quote:
Ruski's
After seeing this word (with its ill intentions), I can tell I'm in for another Ned-esque "You and your kind are of the most evil the world has ever known" rants spawned and fed by the outrage of seeing facts.

I wonder why this is? This post is so laden of insults and angry fervor that I am beginning to assume that me responding to your previous post simply OUTRAGED you. I intended a very little troll (not a big one) yet it seems to have sparked you off. I enjoy that Becuase you will hardly be able to sustain any arguement because of your anger, and, well, winning is always fun

Quote:
A – With twice as many speaking Mandarin than English today, care to look up how that ranks financially? Oh wait, that's right! China is one of the aforementioned DIRTHOLES full of million large slums of peasants speaking your precious mandarin to barter for filthy cigarettes, rice, rotting oranges, and any tattered hand me downs the western charity bin offers. If it's been a good week, it's then off to the dump to pick through several hours of trash in search of a nice corrugated sheet of aluminum to take home as a new addition to the roof!

Idiotic drivel with no logical construct to it at all, so I'll move to the meat of your message:

Quote:
Useless, or not? I know my class of business sees this a waste of time, but would care to hear whether or not it feeds a Russian contently?
"Your class of business"? Thousands of companies are flocking toChina quite simply because of its economic potential. Why do so many economists (and, of course, the "The Economist" magazine) consider China such an important trading partner if its so worthless as you describe? Why is the US blasting France, Russia, and Germany but not CHINA for its role in the oppotision to war against Iraq.
In fact, why is the US dealing with China as if it were a VERY VERY important ally? I took your post to a USU economist named Basudeb Biswas, and he said that your post regarding China is pure "very bad facts" (ignorance. He's being kind ) and said that China is one of the MOST important international trading partners of the entire world and that makes the language Mandarin a VERY important language to learn.
This is supported by the fact that if your dealing in a country where the HUGE MAJORITY of the population speaks very poor english and speaks Mandarin, YOU HAVE TO LEARN MANDARIN. Admitantlly (and as stated by Biswas) English is the most important one, but to belittle Chinese is a very grave mistake indeed.

Quote:
With China's recent performance, the established superpower predictions have been pushed back well beyond our own lifetime, and that's if they don't in any way f*ck up big
Yep, I showed to Biswas as well. They have confirmed the prediction that within 8-18 years China (even at its current rate) will achieve a US-style economy (of course assuming democratic reforms continue) and will undoubtedly expand its military by then achieving at least a very high level of dominance in the world. While they say it may not be that of the US, to write them off is something that no economist or government should EVER do.

Quote:
downtown Shanghai.
Need I go into the economic potential of the city of Shanghai?

IN FACT, there was a large report on China recently here in a local channel on Utah, and they continously referred to China as a "great power" and as having "THE fastest growing economy in the world" and that growth looks like it will be sustained for at least another 10 years.

Now, you can say "What if something RELALY REALLY BAD happens to China?" but lets be realistic here.....We could turn that around and say "What if something REALLY REALLY Good happens to china and something REALLY REALLY BAD happens to America"? Given the Chinese population (a HUGE base for cheap labour) China is really going to soar in the next coming years.

Quote:
1. Mandarin is useless, has spread only to urban emigrant pockets - and will die constrained in its home region
Will "die"? Technically, if a language dies, it either serves no purpose or is completly eliminated.

Do I really need to point out the HUGE fallacy in that statement? Or shall you simply surrender it as a fallacy and move on?

Quote:
2. Arabic is useless, has spread near nowhere – and will die constrained in its home region even faster
"Useless" languages become even more useful to those whom speak it......and right now world attention is on the middle east. Undoubtedly Arabic will become an important language to learn as well

Quote:
3. Due to Imperial establishment, Spanish continues to grow in numerous regions and will continue to do so
Spanish? I am assuming you mean in simply Spanish countries (Latin and South America) and if you do...... I would hardly call them even worthy of the title "Economic Power" Many people who have been to missions in SA have come back with horror stories about the living conditions.

[QUOTE English will continue to grow in numerous regions and always be of most importance [/QUOTE]

BLANK1 never thought it would ever fall, and that its language would become and stay the most important language in the world.

Fill in BLANK1 with:

Russia
Sweden
Greece
Rome
Mongolia
Japan
Germany
Spain
France
the Arabs
.......America

I will admit however that English will still be a very important language....Quite simply, I have never denied it in the first place. Therefore your attempts at "disproving" me with your arguement are pitiful. Never try to disprove what your opponent has not denied....

Quote:
Meaning poor little Tass has no savior to knock his mutherland's victor off the top linguistic spot.
Are we jealous because Russian is in the top ten?

Quote:
It will stay that way at least for the rest of our lives
Not according to most people......

Quote:
SO I DEEM THEE WORTHLESS FOREVER!!!
I'm sensing a lot of hostility in that sentence. Hostility towards others can come from a lot of things, and one of the most common thing is jealousy of knowledge or (especially in America) this type of rage can come from someone whos ego has taken a severe bruising.

Ativan and Zanex (Xanex, spelling not sure) are often perscribed to calm a person down. I suggest you go see your doctor and start it today
Old April 28, 2003, 13:44   #51
Q Classic
Emperor

the reason why your english statistic, apoc, is misleading is that most of that number is not composed of native speakers, whereas for mandarin, most if it is.

this, naturally, helps in keeping a language vibrant, important, and alive.
Old April 28, 2003, 13:55   #52
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
Let's be fair though, paiktis22's illiteracy doesn't stop the British press from being crap, which they undoubtedly are.
Ah, well, that settles everything. Clearly, anything from the British press must be considered utter bollocks - unless of course it is a report critical of the US - hey we gotta be fair here...
Old April 28, 2003, 14:18   #53
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
Clearly, anything from the British press must be considered utter bollocks
Err...well... yes, actually.
Old April 28, 2003, 14:22   #54
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
If someone were not a native Mandarin or English speaker, they would be much better served learning English. English continues to spread. The net, international commerce, science, all are using English. It is even convenient for a German and a Spaniard to talk in English...
Old April 28, 2003, 15:50   #55
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
If someone were not a native Mandarin or English speaker, they would be much better served learning English. English continues to spread. The net, international commerce, science, all are using English. It is even convenient for a German and a Spaniard to talk in English...
While that is true, to say that Mandarin is an unimportant and dying language.........Well........
Old April 28, 2003, 15:59   #56
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

While that is true, to say that Mandarin is an unimportant and dying language.........Well........
That would be stupid to say that...
Old April 28, 2003, 17:47   #57
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
apoc
I did not write that. Read the title. I've been basically just lurking here for a while. Many of my friends have personal problems at the moment that I have to fix. I could care less about the issue right now. I'm just helping out Z.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:10   #58
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
While that is true, to say that Mandarin is an unimportant and dying language
That would be an absurd statement. Substitute "Russian" for "Mandarin", however, and you have a winner.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:16   #59
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Old April 28, 2003, 18:22   #60
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Hey I was a troll before... I feel bad for the guy... no matter how delusional...
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm not surprised Saddam had a link to OBL. In that region, with so many different kinds of people hating the US, of course they're going to contact each other. But Saddam and OBL were not allies. Not in the least. So many dumbasses that don't understand anything about Islam and the Arab world think the Saddam and OBL are best buddies. It simply isn't true