Old April 28, 2003, 18:24   #61
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
While that is true, to say that Mandarin is an unimportant and dying language
That would be an absurd statement. Substitute "Russian" for "Mandarin", however, and you have a winner.
Actually, that is pretty true. It is dying, and it has very little importance in the world.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:25   #62
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Actually, that is pretty true.
I know.

Quote:
It is dying, and it has very little importance in the world.
The same thing could be said for Russia as a whole.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:51   #63
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

So many dumbasses that don't understand anything about Islam and the Arab world think the Saddam and OBL are best buddies. It simply isn't true.
So what shining credentials can you offer regarding Middle Eastern affairs?

And what closed doors in Iraq have you been behind so that you can brazenly declare it simply isn't true, instead of that it's just highly unlikely based on Saddam and Osama's differing ideologies?
Old April 28, 2003, 18:53   #64
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:15
Quote:
The same thing could be said for Russia as a whole.
Your forgetting the texas tea
Old April 28, 2003, 18:58   #65
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Oil won't correct the Russian birth rate. Russia's demographics are a nightmare.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:01   #66
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
I've never professed to be an expert in anything. Most of my knowledge comes from other people who are much smarter than myself. But the fact that OBL and Saddam don't like each other is pretty much common knowledge. Their ideologies are in such conflict, it's really quite silly to say they are allies.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:03   #67
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I find your bigotry hilarious Drake. You seem to hate the French, hate the Russians, hate pretty much everyone that isn't a white-bred American conservative; yet how many French people do you know? How many Russians do you know? A closed mind is a dangerous thing.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:06   #68
Drake Tungsten
Deity

When did I say that I hate the Russians, Corky? I was just giving Tass a good-natured ribbing, which is morphing into a serious discussion of the problems facing Russia in the future. I actually have a lot of respect for the Russian people and consider their dwindling population and power to be a bad thing.

Eating is fun, eating is serious...
Old April 28, 2003, 19:07   #69
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

THIS MANY EMOTICONS WERE PICKED OUT OF A SINGLE RUSKI GARBAGE PILE (by Zylka)
Edited by Ming...

Apoc... posting for Zylka so he can get around his restriction is against the rules. People who do it WILL get restricted.

So this is your only warning... and to others as well...

Do it again, and you will get restricted.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Last edited by Ming; April 29, 2003 at 13:15.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:53   #70
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
When did I say that I hate the Russians, Corky? I was just giving Tass a good-natured ribbing, which is morphing into a serious discussion of the problems facing Russia in the future. I actually have a lot of respect for the Russian people and consider their dwindling population and power to be a bad thing.

Eating is fun, eating is serious...
I apologize if my perception of you is misconstrued, but Barbara, judging from your posts, I had no other conclusion to come to.
Old April 28, 2003, 20:34   #71
Q Classic
Emperor

zylka:
i wasn't arguing that english wasn't the defacto lingua fraca. i was only taking to task your claim that mandarin was a dying language, which is far from the truth.
Old April 28, 2003, 20:39   #72
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Sheesh. I knew a discovery like this would occur. What will the opponents say now?
I imagine they will go with their tried and true method of denying the evidience no matter what.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 28, 2003, 21:53   #73
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

Their ideologies are in such conflict, it's really quite silly to say they are allies.
That is absolutely correct. However, you said in another post 'it simply isn't true', as if you had some sort of inside knowledge. You and your experts know no more about what's actually happened behind closed doors than I do.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:36   #74
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871

And what closed doors in Iraq have you been behind so that you can brazenly declare it simply isn't true, instead of that it's just highly unlikely based on Saddam and Osama's differing ideologies?
I like your style. You sorta remind me of MTG. Perhaps a DL?
Old April 29, 2003, 11:45   #75
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

MtG is a figment of RAH's imagination.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:11   #76
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Apoc, I really wish you'd let Zylka make it's own posts . . . oh right, it can't because it's banned! Stop helping the little f*** get around it's banning. You do the crime, you should be able to do the time. You idn't see me wimping around trying to get someone else to do my banned posts for me.

Mostly, though, I'm mad because I put Zylka on my ignore list and now, because of you, it's getting around that too.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 29, 2003, 12:19   #77
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

I like your style. You sorta remind me of MTG. Perhaps a DL?
Flattered, but I just play some Civ2 PBEM's; I only delve into this quagmire when I get pissed off enough.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:18   #78
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Apoc, I really wish you'd let Zylka make it's own posts . . . oh right, it can't because it's banned! Stop helping the little f*** get around it's banning. You do the crime, you should be able to do the time. You idn't see me wimping around trying to get someone else to do my banned posts for me.
And Che... while what Apoc did is against the rules, and he has now been warned not to do it again... that doesn't give you the right to insult people...

SO CHILL...
Old April 29, 2003, 13:47   #79
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Sheesh. I knew a discovery like this would occur. What will the opponents say now?
I imagine they will go with their tried and true method of denying the evidience no matter what.
I didn't wait for you to say something
I have said "so what ?". Basically, this document tells us Al Qaeda and Saddam's regime have taken contact in 1998. This was a period of important expansion for Al Qaeda, which was needing more money and harboring than before, to support this expansion.

By this assumption, I considered it was the time about which Al Qaeda contacted most Arabic countries and tinpot dictatorships, hoping to find a listening ear somewhere.

It doesn't mean at all that these contacts had any results for Al Qaeda. It doesn't mean at all Al Qaeda and Saddam's regime kept contact after the initial one.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:58   #80
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

I didn't wait for you to say something
I have said "so what ?". Basically, this document tells us Al Qaeda and Saddam's regime have taken contact in 1998. This was a period of important expansion for Al Qaeda, which was needing more money and harboring than before, to support this expansion.

By this assumption, I considered it was the time about which Al Qaeda contacted most Arabic countries and tinpot dictatorships, hoping to find a listening ear somewhere.

It doesn't mean at all that these contacts had any results for Al Qaeda. It doesn't mean at all Al Qaeda and Saddam's regime kept contact after the initial one.
While I'm for the war, I totally agree with Spiffor here. However, this should at least make the opponents raise an eyebrow, and worry that something more meaty might be found (or already has been found, and will deliberately not be released until after the naysayers have made a frenzy, so that they can be embarassed as much as possible).

Three months ago, you guys would have told us that Iraq wouldn't even attempt to forge an alliance, and that Al-Qaeda and Ba'athism were such die-hard enemies. Now you're at least somewhat backtracking and saying 'sure they made contact; why wouldn't they? Everyone in the Middle East contacts everyone else, doesn't mean it went anywhere.'

Just think about what you would have said months ago compared to what you're saying now, and concede your position has changed a tiny bit. I won't hold it against you.

Last edited by Darius871; April 29, 2003 at 14:05.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:09   #81
Spiffor

I don't know.
I have never thought of Al Qaeda contacting the Iraqi regime, true. But if someone had asked me : "do you think Al Qaeda and Iraq have made contact or tried to ?", I'm not sure of the answer I would have given at that time.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:15   #82
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Thanks for being honest. You are a gentleman and a scholar and your intelligence is surpassed only by your good looks.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:19   #83
Spiffor

You cannot imagine how many women are in love with my avatar
Old April 29, 2003, 14:22   #84
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
Quote:
Quote:
Oil won't correct the Russian birth rate. Russia's demographics are a nightmare.
I have seen a number of hot Russian blondes with whom I would like to help improve Russia's demographic problem.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:22   #85
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Do it for Mother Russia, Oerdin.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:05   #86
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

They're reporting just now on all the news channels that a mid-level Al-Qaeda lieutenant has been captured in Baghdad; does anyone have a link to a net source mentioning this yet?

Last edited by Darius871; April 29, 2003 at 17:19.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:36   #87
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Al Qaeda-tied terrorist nabbed in Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senior Bush administration officials Tuesday said a member of an al Qaeda-affiliated terror group operating in Iraq has been captured by U.S. forces.

Sources said the individual is a member of a group operating in western Baghdad under the leadership of Abu Musab al Zarqawi, a Jordanian believed by the United States to have been the mastermind behind the assassination of American diplomat Lawrence Foley in Amman last October.

Zarqawi was said to have received medical treatment in Baghdad in May and June of 2002 after being wounded in Afghanistan during the war. His leg was amputated, U.S. officials say, by a surgeon in Iraq.

Before the war, Secretary of State Colin Powell pointed to Zarqawi's al Qaeda-affiliated group that he said was operating inside Baghdad, as evidence of ties between al Qaeda and Iraq.

Powell told the U.N. Security Council in early February that after al Qaeda and the Taliban were ousted from Afghanistan, Zarqawi established a camp in northeastern Iraq to train terrorists in using explosives and poisons.

During Zarqawi's stay in Baghdad, nearly two dozen of his associates set up a base of operations in the capital to move people, money and supplies throughout the country, said Powell.

The United States, using another international intelligence service as an intermediary, twice gave the Iraqi government information it could have used to apprehend Zarqawi and break the Baghdad cell, but "Zarqawi still remains at large to come and go," Powell said. "From his terrorist network in Iraq, Zarqawi can direct his network in the Middle East and beyond."

Mohamed Aldouri, Iraqi ambassador to the United Nations before the war, denied Powell's charges, saying Iraqi officials never met with Zarqawi.

Administration officials say they do not know yet whether the newly captured individual -- as yet not named by U.S. officials -- had any connections with the government of Iraq.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ure/index.html
Old April 29, 2003, 17:43   #88
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Beat me by 30 seconds Drake!

Also, they're reporting now that Farouk Hijazi (former Iraqi intel chief) has just told interrogators that he met with Bin Laden personally in 1993 (that year sound familiar? ). Still waiting for an article to show up on it though; that of course will take a while.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:43   #89
kmad
Settler

Local Time: 16:15
They just threw this out there. They really didn't even need to provide a source document to get the effect they wanted from the American people, just word on the street and a brief word on CNN is enough to give the mindless Bush supporters a new truckload of false confidence in their aristocratic leader.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:45   #90
kmad
Settler

Local Time: 16:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten Al Qaeda-tied terrorist nabbed in Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senior Bush administration officials Tuesday said a member of an al Qaeda-affiliated terror group operating in Iraq has been captured by U.S. forces.

Sources said the individual is a member of a group operating in western Baghdad under the leadership of Abu Musab al Zarqawi, a Jordanian believed by the United States to have been the mastermind behind the assassination of American diplomat Lawrence Foley in Amman last October.

Zarqawi was said to have received medical treatment in Baghdad in May and June of 2002 after being wounded in Afghanistan during the war. His leg was amputated, U.S. officials say, by a surgeon in Iraq.

Before the war, Secretary of State Colin Powell pointed to Zarqawi's al Qaeda-affiliated group that he said was operating inside Baghdad, as evidence of ties between al Qaeda and Iraq.

Powell told the U.N. Security Council in early February that after al Qaeda and the Taliban were ousted from Afghanistan, Zarqawi established a camp in northeastern Iraq to train terrorists in using explosives and poisons.

During Zarqawi's stay in Baghdad, nearly two dozen of his associates set up a base of operations in the capital to move people, money and supplies throughout the country, said Powell.

The United States, using another international intelligence service as an intermediary, twice gave the Iraqi government information it could have used to apprehend Zarqawi and break the Baghdad cell, but "Zarqawi still remains at large to come and go," Powell said. "From his terrorist network in Iraq, Zarqawi can direct his network in the Middle East and beyond."

Mohamed Aldouri, Iraqi ambassador to the United Nations before the war, denied Powell's charges, saying Iraqi officials never met with Zarqawi.

Administration officials say they do not know yet whether the newly captured individual -- as yet not named by U.S. officials -- had any connections with the government of Iraq.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ure/index.html

They found Al-Qaeda terrorists in the USA too, does that infer that Bush had ties with Al-Qaeda? Or is there an obvious double standard about that I don't know about?