variety, variety
Old April 27, 2003, 09:20   #32
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Paiktis : your avatar is unforgivable.

AH :
Actually, the potential sanctions from the US to France's behaviour is quite a big issue in the French media now. If it is any indicator of the French public opinion, it seems the French do not want sanctions right now. Well, it may change, because it was a very sudden move in the media (right after the end of the war), and I haven't seen them in a week.
Old April 27, 2003, 09:23   #33
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:16
http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/04/...lue/index.html

Quote:
JetBlue orders $4bn Airbus jets
Thursday, April 24, 2003 Posted: 8:34 AM EDT (1234 GMT)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK (CNN) -- JetBlue Airways, a U.S. discount airline, Thursday ordered 65 Airbus A320 passenger jets worth almost $4 billion.

JetBlue, which currently flies 46 Airbus planes, said it also has an option on another 50 new aircraft from the world's second-largest plane maker.

The order is the biggest this year for either Airbus and Boeing, its main U.S. rival.

It comes at a difficult time for the airline industry and aerospace manufacturers alike, as demand for air travel struggles to recover from war, terrorism, economic recession and the outbreak of SARS.

"With this order, JetBlue demonstrates that with the right people, the right product and the right cost structure, airlines can grow, even in this current, challenging environment," said Airbus chief executive Noel Forgeard.

The airline and aircraft maker did not disclose the terms of the deal. The A320 can seat 150 passengers.

But excluding the options, the value of the deal based on catalogue prices would be between $3.71 billion and $3.97 billion, depending on delivery time and engine choice. But aircraft manufacturers usually offer discounts to win order.

"This would be a significant order," Will Mackie, analyst at Commerzbank in London, told Reuters.

"The timing of the deliveries will be crucial. If JetBlue is taking on these aircraft during the low point of the market, in 2004 and 2005, then it would represent a key support for Airbus narrow-body production."

Did I hear boycott or sanctions ?
Old April 27, 2003, 09:25   #34
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

http://baronrouge.com/BigSleep/BigSleep_whale.html
Old April 27, 2003, 09:33   #35
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
variety, variety
who was the little brunette?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 27, 2003, 09:40   #36
Spiffor

OK, I have just seen the relevant article on TF1 (biggest French channel). It was the deepest article in the choices available, so be aware the US-France relationship is much less important in the news here than SRAS, actual situation in Iraq, or the current animal epidemics.

From TF1, 24 April 2003

Quote:
Apaisement entre Washington et Paris

Les Etats-Unis ont relativisé les propos tenus par Colin Powell, qui parlait de future "punition" pour la France après son attitude sur la crise irakienne.

Des "conséquences", mais pas de "punition". Washington tente de dédramatiser le crispement diplomatique avec Paris.

Le porte-parole de la Maison Blanche, Ari Fleischer, a ainsi expliqué mercredi que la France ne sera ni "punie" ni ne devra "payer le prix" de son opposition à la guerre en Irak. Il souligne notamment que les déclarations tenues mardi par Colin Powell ont été mal comprises par certains médias. "Pour tous ceux qui ont écrit ces articles, c'est une mauvaise interprétation de ce que le secrétaire (Powell) a dit".

De son côté, Colin Powell a eu un entretien téléphonique mercredi soir avec Dominique de Villepin, qualifié de "cordial" par le Quai d'Orsay. Pour Richar Boucher, le porte-parole du Département d'Etat, "cette conversation a reflété l'état de nos relations avec la France. Nous sommes des alliés, nous voulons coopérer et travailler là où nous le pouvons, là où c'est dans notre intérêt". Il a néanmoins confirmé que la France devrait faire face à des "conséquences" pour son opposition.

Mesures à l'OTAN ?

La Maison Blanche admet néanmoins que les conséquences du froid diplomatique avec Paris sont visibles "tous les jours". "M. Powell a été direct et honnête et a dit +oui+. La vérité est que les relations entre nos deux pays ont souffert et ce n'est un secret pour personne. La vraie surprise aurait été s'il avait répondu +non+, qu'il n'y a pas de conséquences et prétendu que tout est rose entre la France et les Etats-Unis", a estimé le porte-parole de la présidence américaine. Washington et Paris "ont eu un désaccord majeur sur une question de la plus extrême importance pour le Président" (Bush), a-t-il souligné.

Richard Boucher a indiqué que la manière dont Paris et Washington aborderont certains dossiers "sera à l'évidence affectée par le manque de coopération" dans la crise irakienne. Parmi les mesures évoquées figurent une approche différence au sein de de l'Otan où Washington pourrait recourir plus activement à certaines structures militaires où la France ne siège pas.

Abatement between Washington and Paris

The US have lowered the importance of Colin Powell's declaration, which was about its future "punishment" because of its lack of cooperation during the Iraqi crisis.

"Consequences" but no "punition". Washington tries to smoothe the tense relationship with France.

White House's speaker Ari Fleischer, as such has explained France will not be "punished" nor will it "pay the price" of its opposition to war in Iraq. He emphasizes that Colin Powell's declaration have been badly understood by the media. "To those who have written these articles, it is a wrong interpretation of what the Secretary said".

Meanwhile, Colin Powell had a phone discussion wednesday with Dominique de Villepin, which has been deemed as "cordial" by the French Foreign Ministry. For State Department's speaker Richar Boucher, "this discussion has shown the status of our relationship with France. We are allies, we want to cooperate and work where we can, where it is in our interest". He has however confirmed that France will have to face "consequences" for its opposition.

Measures in NATO ?

The White House admits that consequences of the cold relationship with France can be seen "every day". "Mr Powell has been direct and honest and said Yes. The truth is that the relationship between our two countries have suffered, and it's a seceret to no one. It would have been real surprising if he had answered No, that there are no consequences, and if he had pretended that everything is alright between France and the US", told Ari Fleisher. Washington and Paris "have had a major disagreement on an issue that was extremely important for the President".

Richard Boucher explained that the approach of some issues by Washington and Paris "will obviously be influenced by the lack of cooperation" in the Iraqi crisis. Among the suggested measures lie a different approach within NATO, where Washington could use more often military structures where France has no seat.
Old April 27, 2003, 09:43   #37
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

who was the little brunette?
http://www.moi-alizee.com/video/alizee.mov
Old April 27, 2003, 11:03   #38
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
its making me have a seizure
Old April 27, 2003, 11:15   #39
Bereta_Eder
Settler

fine ill change it
Old April 27, 2003, 11:27   #40
Spiffor

Thank you thank you
Old April 27, 2003, 11:29   #41
Bereta_Eder
Settler

pas de quoi
Old April 27, 2003, 11:40   #42
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:

Yes, and you'll manage to outstupid him. Schröder's stance was extremely anti-war, with anti-Americanism being a somehow hidden in the decor. Bush's stance (on this issue) will be Anti-French, with the most stinking elements of anti-Frenchism.
Now, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope Washington will be well advised enough to stop the stupidity and soothe the US-French relationship.

But I don't hold my breath : Bush will have trouble because of his poor economic performance, and will look for votes wherever he can find them. If anti-French resentment remains important next year, I'd wager it'll be widely used by Bush in his campaign.

I really think it is funny how you and Mar get upset by the anti-French stuff. We Americans are used to getting this **** from everyone.

I don't have a problem with France not going along with the war for ethical reasons. But in this case it seems like they are really playing games. They are just using whatever type of tool they can to rival the US. That is fine. Let them reap the rewards.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:43   #43
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:

AH :
Actually, the potential sanctions from the US to France's behaviour is quite a big issue in the French media now. If it is any indicator of the French public opinion, it seems the French do not want sanctions right now. Well, it may change, because it was a very sudden move in the media (right after the end of the war), and I haven't seen them in a week.
I doubt there will be trade sanctions. Although that is what has the French so scared. ARe they really that econ-driven? Like with being anti-sanctions when Saddam was in power and pro-sanctions when he it out? Rest easy. I don't think there will be any serious consequences. Maybe France doesn't get to play its games in NATO where it is partway in/partway out.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:50   #44
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
Yup... consequences for France, but not the Saudi f*ckers that fund terror. I don't understand how so many people can be so stupid.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:55   #45
Spiffor

GP :
We French usually get this **** only from former colonized people, and we usually don't listen, so we aren't used to it yet Especially since it seems to come only from the US. I am not aware of a change of sympathies towards France in any other country.

I also don't think there will be official trade sanctions. Partly because the **** must not hit the fan, partly because France belongs to the EU, and it is impossible to officially aim for specific national imports from within the EU. I suspect the American reaction has become a tool in our domestic politics, which explains its boasted importance : Chirac is losing popularity, and left-wing parties are happy with it (they couldn't criticize Chirac as long as he was anti-war). Business men stir the fear of losses in the US to get more opportunities and more pro-business policy to "compensate" the loss, etc.

I think the most important administration-led consequences will be opposition to France's African policy, its ousting from the Iraqi loot (obviously), and a general lowering of its role in any organization that limits US sovereignity.

Edit : about the sanctions, I think most French people remain against, as they are against for a very long time now. Chirac has to take care about this issue : left wing parties would jump at his throat if he favors too openly the lengthening of sanctions.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:55   #46
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

I doubt there will be trade sanctions. Although that is what has the French so scared. ARe they really that econ-driven?
Thier economy isn't doing that well right now. That's the reason for the fear they exhibit.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:57   #47
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

The US economy isn't doing so hot either. In 2004 I'll be singing... "Nah nah nah nah.... nah nah nah nah.... heyyy heeyyyy... GOOD BYE!"
Old April 27, 2003, 12:00   #48
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Partly because the **** must not hit the fan, partly because France belongs to the EU, and it is impossible to officially aim for specific national imports from within the EU.
What form does the sanctions on Austria take? Pehaps that can be used as a model.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:04   #49
Spiffor

I don't recall the sanctions on Haider's Austria, but I recall the sanctions on UK bovines. This was an inner EU decision to forbid UK's bovine beef to exit the territory. It implied a high tracability, and cooperation from the whole EU to work. Without tracability and EU-wide scale, it wouldn't have worked : it would have been too easy to legally disembark Birtish bovines in, say, Portugal, and legally export them to all EU from there.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:04   #50
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Ohhh, **** France. Frog face sonsof*****es.

Dirty little people with stinky breath.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:05   #51
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Ohhh, **** France. Frog face sonofa*****es.
Merci, merci
Old April 27, 2003, 12:05   #52
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Ohhh, **** France. Frog face sonofa*****es.
I should start selling bumper stickers of Calvin peeing on the Texas state flag to the French.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:07   #53
DinoDoc
Deity

Incidentally, aren't those sanctions kind of a black eye for the organization? After all, they set up a horrible precedent and the last I heard they were none too popular with the Nordic countries.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 27, 2003, 12:09   #54
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

No, that would be a mistake of the greatest magnitude, Sava.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:12   #55
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

I should start selling bumper stickers of Calvin peeing on the Texas state flag to the French.
Make that the US flag (nobody know Texas' flag here), and you're a rich man
Old April 27, 2003, 12:14   #56
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

As much as I disagree with the current administration's foreign policy, I couldn't bring myself to show a peeing Calvin on the stars and stripes. Perhaps I'll sell Calvin peeing on Bush stickers. That is really the theme I'm going for.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:15   #57
Spiffor

DD :

They indeed set up a horrible precedent. While the embargo on UK bovines was absolutely legitimate (huge public health issue), the sanctions on Austria were plain silly and counterproductive. The EU is intended to have rules and precedures, not to being subject of the day's whim of some countries.
Besides, Austria was member of the EU for only a few years when these sanctions came out. I don't think it helped the European case there.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:18   #58
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
As much as I disagree with the current administration's foreign policy, I couldn't bring myself to show a peeing Calvin on the stars and stripes. Perhaps I'll sell Calvin peeing on Bush stickers. That is really the theme I'm going for.
Deal ! I think you can export it without problems in about any country too Make several goodies, like posters, T-shirts, mugs and such. Your grandchildren will thank Bush for your fortune
Old April 27, 2003, 12:20   #59
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Germany is just as bad as France.
Why no one gives them crap, I'll never understand.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:26   #60
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Germany is just as bad as France.
Why no one gives them crap, I'll never understand.
It's easy to make France the scapegoat because Germany and America have greater economic links. Sure, the jingos could call for a boycott of German products. But are Americans going to stop buying Mercedes and Chrysler products?