Old April 28, 2003, 14:20   #1
Kirby
Settler

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Elite units & GL's
I noticed that elite units that have produced a GL have an asterisk on their popup. Can these elite asterisk units still make GL's?...just wondering what to do them.
Old April 28, 2003, 14:38   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No, one GL per unit, UNLESS you upgrade it to something else. Example:

A horseman unit produces a GL. It gets an asterisk. That unit cannot produce another leader.

However, if you upgrade it to a Knight, it goes back to veteran and loses the asterisk. That unit can produce a leader.

And so on and so forth.

When I produce a leader with a unit that I cannot upgrade (or will not upgrade for a long time), I typically either put it in an army, if I have one, or use it as a "nutcracker" unit and don't care if it dies.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 28, 2003, 14:56   #3
Kirby
Settler

Thank you for the informative reply, and so fast too!
Old April 28, 2003, 15:03   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

:bows: You're welcome.

-Arrian

p.s. You also know that if you have an active Leader, you can't get another one, right?

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 28, 2003, 15:15   #5
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:21
Interesting. I've wondered about that naming business. So then, the purpose of the asterisk and naming must be to let you know the unit can't be upgraded.
Old April 28, 2003, 15:58   #6
Kirby
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
:bows: You're welcome.

-Arrian

p.s. You also know that if you have an active Leader, you can't get another one, right?
No I didn't know that either! That could explain why I get so few even though I'm aggressively militaristic. I save them for FP and Mich's Chapel. Thanks again!
Old April 28, 2003, 16:47   #7
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
Interesting. I've wondered about that naming business. So then, the purpose of the asterisk and naming must be to let you know the unit can't be upgraded.
Nah, the asterisk is there to show you that the unit produced a leader. Nothing to do with upgrading. The naming is just a "cool" thing you get to do (though now with PTW you can name any unit you want).

Kirby,

You're welcome again. I threw that out there because it seems to be something that many people don't know (at least until the pop up here and ask, usually VERY frustrated with their lack of leaders).

If I'm saving a leader for something, I typically hold my elites out of the fighting, hoarding them for later.

-Arrian

Old April 28, 2003, 17:07   #8
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

D'oh! I was using faulty terminology saying "upgrade" instead of "promote".
Old April 28, 2003, 17:24   #9
Arrian
Deity

I was wondering if that was it... it makes sense if you switch the terms.

-Arrian

Old April 28, 2003, 18:30   #10
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 19:21
If at all possible, use a leader immediately. It's not impossible to get more than one (my current record is three in a Modern Age war) in a single turn! Of course, by the time you can get a leader back to your core in a single turn and keep attacking with elites, you probably won't find many wonders available for use, but you can always make some armies...
Old April 28, 2003, 22:14   #11
Arrian
Deity

I've gotten 3 leaders in a single turn using Riders. That was a nice string of luck, I'll grant you. Sun Tzu, Sistine, Leos. Bang, bang, bang. It was beautiful.

-Arrian

Old April 29, 2003, 09:41   #12
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:21
Quote:
I've gotten 3 leaders in a single turn using Riders. That was a nice string of luck, I'll grant you. Sun Tzu, Sistine, Leos. Bang, bang, bang. It was beautiful.

-Arrian
I hope you got screen shots, I find this hard to believe. I almost never get leaders even when I try to be an aggressive lunatic.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:40   #13
Arrian
Deity

No screenshots, no, you will just have to take my word for it. I'm not making it up.

Clearly, that was one of the best results I've ever had.

I seem to be having REALLY streaky luck lately. I started a game as China (emperor) and got a leader from my first elite victory. I quit that game because it was going terribly despite the leader. I started a second game (china, emperor) and AGAIN got a leader from the first elite victory. That one I have played until the beginning of the industrial age, but have yet to finish. Then I started two games as Japan (monarch), and NADA. Tons of elite wins, no leaders. Then I started up a game as Rome (monarch) and Voila! first elite win = leader.

Streaky.

-Arrian

Old April 29, 2003, 10:47   #14
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:21
Perhaps you emit some kind of leader creating radiation from your fingertips.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:53   #15
Arrian
Deity

I work pretty hard at getting leaders. Then again, in the last game I mentioned - the Roman one - I didn't get another leader for a long time, despite trying like hell. I finally got one with a cavalry unit (the first one was from an archer).

-Arrian

Old April 29, 2003, 13:38   #16
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

I went through a period where leaders were very scarce, despite care in attacking with my elites. I kept track for a few games, and went 23-35 elite attacks between GLs for a couple of games, then the streak broke and I began getting them much more frequently again. Got 3 in 4 turns in my present game.

Stupid human tricks: I named my Knight leaders Alpha Knight, etc, so I could keep track of how many leaders I got. But when I got Mil Trad and upgraded, some of my Sepahi (Ottomans) were still named Alpha Knight, etc. Duh! [I know...I can rename them - it was just funny, so I haven't].
Old April 29, 2003, 13:41   #17
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have had that happen several times. I must say it is less common now with PTW.
I have have 5 on offense and 1 on defense in a single turn (lost the one on def). This was in a Huge map with 16 civ, 55 leaders.
I had war with as many as 14 civs at once. That turn had at least 4 civs send armies against me.
Several units made leaders and got upgraded and made another leader. I named them so I knew. Tank21, then Tank21_MA36 for example.
I do not play on huge maps that often anymore.
Domination games on larger maps with Pangea makes it easier to get leaders. This is due to being close to many civs and getting into big wars.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:20   #18
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Quote:
I hope you got screen shots, I find this hard to believe. I almost never get leaders even when I try to be an aggressive lunatic.
I just had two leaders from cavs in the same turn, with a third leader coming on the first battle of the next turn. It's really not all that unusual if you're quite conscious of actually seeking out leaders. Of course my cav leaders went to Newton's, army, army -- far less satisfying than Sun Tzu's, Sistine, and Leo's -- still, I did get a nice 3 cavalry* army out of it.

Catt
Old May 1, 2003, 09:38   #19
Kirby
Settler

Is it possible to get GL's from battles with barbarians?
Old May 1, 2003, 09:52   #20
Arrian
Deity

No.