Old April 28, 2003, 17:34   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Are we really liberators? US Troops break up Saddam birthday party in Tikrit.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._birthday_dc_1

Favorite quote:

Quote:
"We only want to celebrate peacefully,"" primary school teacher Sabahan Harez, 50, said. "Where is the freedom of expression the Americans boast so much about."
Old April 28, 2003, 17:37   #2
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who in their right mind would want to hold a birthday party for that man? I would of broke that birthday party up myself....
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:38   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Who in their right mind would want to hold a birthday party for that man? I would of broke that birthday party up myself....
Freedom of Expression, Fez.

If I wanted to, I could hold a birthday party for him right now, and I'd have every right to.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:39   #4
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:22
i think that people will use any excuse for a holiday. we still have columbus day!!

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old April 28, 2003, 17:39   #5
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 19:22
You missed a better one:

Quote:
Young girls in bright red dresses jumped on the spot holding up portraits of him and chanted: "We will sacrifice our souls and blood for Saddam Hussein."
Nope, can't see any security issues with such a pleasant group of peace loving Iraqis...

And also:

Quote:
Some residents said Saddam's iron rule had only taught the people to make a show of loving him, even if they did not feel it.

"The truth is people hate him. I do," Ali Abdullah, 50, a wheat farmer, said. "I care more about this old shoe here with the hole in it more than I do about Saddam."
Old April 28, 2003, 17:40   #6
Giancarlo
King

Tass, thanks for misquoting the article.

It seems like people were gonna commit suicide missions for Saddam.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:40   #7
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

why not let them celebrate?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 28, 2003, 17:44   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

gunk looks like he provided an adequate answer in the first half of his post.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:45   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 20:22
In case it wasn't obvious, the "We will sacrifice our souls and blood for Saddam Hussein" blah is inciting violence, when American troops are still getting shot at in Tikrit.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 28, 2003, 17:45   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:22
so people are not free to supprot saddam and bomb americans who are on their soil?
Old April 28, 2003, 17:45   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
Nope, can't see any security issues with such a pleasant group of peace loving Iraqis...
And if an American says they'd sacrafice their blood for America, should the entire world view it as a secuirty threat?

They haven't done anything, they haven't threatened to do anything. Therefore its freedom of speech.

Quote:
And also:
Ok, then he has ever right to leave the party. However, US troops going in and acting like the place is under martial law.....Is inexcusable.

Quote:
Tass, thanks for misquoting the article.
It's not a misquote, fez Just read the article, and feel englightenened

Quote:
It seems like people were gonna commit suicide missions for Saddam.
They never said that. If someone in America says "I hate them arabs. We should go bomb them.", then should there be a pre-emptive strike? I mean, that could mean that hes going to slaughter some Arabs.....

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Cause the US doesn't want them to
Old April 28, 2003, 17:47   #12
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
In case it wasn't obvious, the "We will sacrifice our souls and blood for Saddam Hussein" blah is inciting violence, when American troops are still getting shot at in Tikrit.
Again, I've heard MANY people talk about bombing arabs and how they all are evil and need to die.....

Thats inciting violence as well. But as long as they do nothing, we cannot stop them from saying these things.

Your also forgetting that it was ONE person who said that......Theres always one person who will say that in most protests/celebrations, Dan
Old April 28, 2003, 17:47   #13
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 16:22
They should have let them celebrate. Freedom of speech. Or have you all forgotten that?
Old April 28, 2003, 17:47   #14
Giancarlo
King

I believe it was a misquote. Infact you didn't even quote the article...

Tass... give it a rest...
Old April 28, 2003, 17:49   #15
DanS
Deity

But as long as they do nothing, we cannot stop them from saying these things.

Sure we can, if there are Arabs around.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 28, 2003, 17:50   #16
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Tassadar, a war zone is by definition under marshall law. No cessation of hostilities has been declared by eithier side.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 28, 2003, 17:51   #17
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
I believe it was a misquote. Infact you didn't even quote the article...

Tass... give it a rest...
Fez, try READING the article for once Here, let me show you a picture I just took......

Oopsies, fez?

DanS:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sryfez.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	43483  
Old April 28, 2003, 17:52   #18
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
Tassadar, a war zone is by definition under marshall law. No cessation of hostilities has been declared by eithier side.
Alright......So we don't bother breaking up pro-american celebrations we'll break up celebrations for Saddam.....

We Americans aren't invaders! Honest!!! Were simply doing it for their own good
Old April 28, 2003, 17:53   #19
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
FEZ! You're back buddy! Good to see you man; the place isn't as diverse without you around.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:53   #20
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

FEZ! You're back buddy! Good to see you man; the place isn't as diverse without you around.
He may be back, but he hasn't changed a bit
Old April 28, 2003, 17:54   #21
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 16:22
Quote:
Sure we can, if there are Arabs around.
Racist.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:55   #22
DanS
Deity

Read his whole post, you POS. Don't take my words out of context.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:55   #23
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Fez, try READING the article for once Here, let me show you a picture I just took......

Oopsies, fez?

DanS:
You use the [ quote ] and [/ quote ] features. Not the attachment. Plus you have proven nothing besides your own lack of intelligence.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:57   #24
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
Quote:
Alright......So we don't bother breaking up pro-american celebrations we'll break up celebrations for Saddam.....

Do you realize how ignorant this sounds? I suppose you're also not happy that the conquoring WW2 allies outlawed the Nazi party and forced the German, well West German, government to be deNazified. I think we can all agree that (West) Germany has been a true democracy for the last 50-60 years even though bastard Nazis weren't/aren't allowed to hold public rallies.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:57   #25
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Don't assume Tikriti opinion representative of Iraqi opinion as a whole, Tikrit is Saddam's hometown

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 28, 2003, 17:57   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

You use the [ quote ] and [/ quote ] features. Not the attachment.
But yousee: I QUOTED THE ARTICLE, WORD FOR WORD.

Quote:
Plus you have proven nothing besides your own lack of intelligence.
I'm not the one who said it wasn't even in the article fez........Guess who said this quote:

Quote:
Infact you didn't even quote the article...
Old April 28, 2003, 17:58   #27
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:

Ultimately your final paragraph will prove to be true. Stabilization has to be achieved before all freedoms can be restored. No one said we weren't invaders. They just said we are not occupiers. The US government has repeatedly said that we will stay no longer than necessary to turn Iraq over to the Iraqi people. In the interim, it is in everyone's best interest that the country be stabilized. To suggest anything else is irresponsible.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 28, 2003, 17:58   #28
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
we cannot stop them from saying these things.
We obviously can. Otherwise you wouldn't have made a thread about it.
Old April 28, 2003, 17:59   #29
Giancarlo
King

Tass, you have problems. I don't know what is wrong with you.. but you are missing the point, the area in question, Iraq, is under martial law for the time being as there is still hostilities.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:00   #30
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I suppose you're also not happy that the conquoring WW2 allies outlawed the Nazi party and forced the German, well West German, government to be deNazified.
Yes, because it was certifiable that the Nazi Party hated us. But you see: The Nazi Party is a POLITICAL PARTY.

Even here in America there are pro-nazi rallies. We should bring OUR freedom to them, not change the freedom around a bit to only hold pro-american celebrations.

And I think its a shame Germany won't allow the glorifying of a criminal event or any nazi symbols AT ALL or any mention of Hitler AT ALL or.........Because thats freedom of speech and expression, and Germany does not quite have it yet.