Old April 29, 2003, 09:34   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't want to sound stupid but...
What is the "Arrian Deception" strategy?

I've been trying to locate it but no success so far. :/
Old April 29, 2003, 09:40   #2
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 01:24
It is when you act like a treacherous swine at the start of the game, happily breaking treaties left, right and center to get any advantage, and then wipe out all the civs on your continent before contact is made with the rest of the world. As long as they other civs never meet your victims, they never hear about your bad reputation, and will happily make deals with you.

Doesn't work if you have too many civs on your continent - or at least, it is harder to pull off. Failing to wipe out the last civ as you watch AI caravels sailing around to make contact can also be annoying.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:43   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Don't try this in MP, unless you want to end up dead (in RL)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:12   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
Why not?

Have you never had the fun experience of being the "lunatic" in the game. Being an unpredictable b@stard means a great time, even if you lose. Especially if you use the time to just pick on the strongest player with no regard for personal safety.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:44   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010

My people came to own the entire continent because the other peoples spontaneously decided to join us! We are a peaceful civilization. Those 50 Samurai regiments? They are ceremonial.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:34   #6
Kirby
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Don't try this in MP, unless you want to end up dead (in RL)

-Jam
Old April 29, 2003, 16:09   #7
badams52
King

Local Time: 16:24
Re: I don't want to sound stupid but...
Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
What is the "Arrian Deception" strategy?

I've been trying to locate it but no success so far. :/
If the description of the Arrian Deception is so hard to find, maybe we could make it easier and add a link *cough* Theseus *cough* of thisx thread into the must read threads.

My guess is the first reference is burried deep in one of the other threads and never made it into a thread of it's own (until now).
Old April 29, 2003, 16:16   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

It never had its own thread.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I didn't even come up with the original idea! I just picked it up from somewhere and mentioned using it in some thread, and someone (Theseus?) dubbed it the Arrian Deception. :shrug:

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:17   #9
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

I finally had a chance to use the "Arrian Deception" (though I didn't know it had a name) in my last game, as Japan. I wiped out all the other civs (6 total) on my continent before meeting any others.

This gave me my first chance ever to see the "gracious" attitude! AIs were "gracious" towards me without trading or anything! Mind-boggling.

I'm using my wonderful reputation to systematically destroy my (new) "gracious" enemies.
Old April 30, 2003, 09:34   #10
Arrian
Deity

Atta boy, Yahweh!

-Arrian

Old April 30, 2003, 11:20   #11
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

WARNING: OFF-TOPIC SIDENOTE: Finished my Japan game (which taught me a good many things) today, pulling up just short of a domination victory (shoulda turned cultural off!) and netting 5829 as my final score.

A small number for a typical emperor win I'm sure, but for me, my highest yet. Also, I noted that I produced 3 Tojos, 3 Hirohitos and 2 Fujiwaras this game.

The graciousness continued but not long enough to prevent Carthage declaring war on me (courtesy of a MPP with Russia). I destroyed the one city they had built on my continent.

I was unquestionable in terms of power and culture, and still ended up in a war with Carthage.

I H A T E C A R T H A G E ! ! !

OFF-TOPIC RANT CONCLUDED.
Old April 30, 2003, 14:55   #12
badams52
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
It never had its own thread.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I didn't even come up with the original idea! I just picked it up from somewhere and mentioned using it in some thread, and someone (Theseus?) dubbed it the Arrian Deception. :shrug:
I think others have had worse things attributed to them that they weren't the originators of.
Old May 1, 2003, 04:07   #13
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

I have the dubious pleasure, or better, duty, to inform you that I had to perform the so-called 'Arrian's deception' on the once-living Roman empire in AU101 not only once, but several times.

I'm off for a shower
Old May 1, 2003, 13:00   #14
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 18:24
I'm almost certain that the term was coined in the thread for an AU game... the one where we start on a tiny island with Greece. I'm too lazy to look up the number now... does anybody bother maintaining the glossary that's topped on this forum anymore?
Old May 1, 2003, 19:12   #15
badams52
King

After a quick search (unfortunately the search won't take me back far enough so I had to go into the minitourney threads myself and use the browser function to "find"), I found Theseus making a reference to the "Arrian Deception" in his AAR for mini-tourney III. It appears that Arrian displayed his tactic sometime before then, before the 2 previous mini-tourneys. Must be in some other thread. Maybe Theseus could shed some light when he get's the chance.

Last edited by badams52; May 1, 2003 at 22:05.
Old May 1, 2003, 20:15   #16
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

I stand corrected. Nice snooping, badams.
Old May 3, 2003, 03:39   #17
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Always nice to have a evil warmongering trick named after yourself...

... The Zen Deception... all I need now is the name to match an idea (and I can think of some certain MP plans)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 3, 2003, 14:38   #18
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:24
I seem to recall being introduced to the Arrian Deception before the minitournies, in a thread where both Arrian and Sir Ralph discussed it and explained to those of us uninitiated to the gambit how it worked (and confirmed that it did in fact work). Might have been named in that thread or soon after since I don't recall its formal christening as the "Arrian Decpetion" at that time. It was almost certainly Theseus who slapped on the famous moniker. No time to search now - maybe I'll try in the next few days.

Catt
Old May 3, 2003, 23:58   #19
badams52
King

Catt,

If you try the search, like I did, hopefully you can go back before July 2002. For some reason, I was unable to.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:18   #20
badams52
King

Okay, after a quick searching through past posts that Sir Ralph participated in, I came up with an old instance Arrian mentioning the deception April 10, 2002, but it's not talked about in length.

Can't say for sure whether he mentioned it here first, but it's obvious that the "Arrian Deception" didn't take hold because of this comment as there is no further discussion in that thread about such a deception. BTW, you can also find out how Theseus chose his name in that thread and see his previous moniker.
Old May 4, 2003, 16:06   #21
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:24
I found the thread I remembered but it contains nothing regarding the naming of the tactic. Must have been named sometime in June or July 2002 since I also found a use of the name in July (without any comment as to "what the heck is the Arrian Deception").

Catt
Old May 10, 2003, 12:06   #22
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
It was me... I liked the sound of it, sort of a Star Trek-y thing.

Funny reading those old threads!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.